Quidditch Training Pitch

Register
Sign in

Escapes  PV C. Queen   Closed 

The neatly trimmed grass of the empty Quidditch pitch made not a sound as a small blonde girl made her way to the middle of the field. Cecily hefted her broom as she reached the centre, giddy with excitement. Sure, it would have been more fun to have Adam or Amadea or even Ami here to keep her company, but she was pretty sure Adam didn't fly, Amadea was busy with Prefect-ing (which, frankly, Cecily should also be, but it was all fine), and Ami was undoubtedly getting into some sort of trouble. (That girl was going to get herself expelled one day.)

Either way, sometimes Cecily was happier alone. And right now, it didn't really matter to her, because finally, finally, she was holding a broom of her very own! Cecily had been dropping perhaps not-so-subtle hints ever since she made Ravenclaw's Quidditch team that she desperately wanted her own broom. Needless to say, judging by the broom Cecily held in her hand-- a beautiful, sleek Nimbus 2001 that she was pretty sure was way too expensive for her family-- her parents had picked up on the hints.

Cecily swung a leg over her broom, cautiously pushing off of the ground. She leaned ever so slightly backwards, testing the sensitivity of the broom. It drifted higher, and Cecily grinned. She could rule the Quidditch pitch on this broom-- that is, if no one else got one as good as this one. The Ravenclaw wasn't particularly well-versed in the quality of flying brooms, but she was pretty sure this was a good one.

She leaned slightly forwards, starting slowly. She could get faster once she was comfortable with the broom; after all, going too fast was one surefire way to get injured and have to spectate instead of play. This was her first time using a broom that was actually decent (the family broom wasn't must better than the school ones), and she didn't want to make a fool of herself in front of the whole school. Not that anyone was watching, she just continuously fed her minor paranoia.

The wind started to whip through the girl's hair as she increased her speed, taking giddy laps around the pitch. She hadn't flown in too long. It really was a beautiful thing-- it was an escape from the near-inescapable noise and bustle of the school. Up here, all she could hear was the wind in her ears, flapping her robes out behind her, and her own ecstatic laughs, instead of her worrisome thoughts and the ceaseless talking of students.

Stopping again above the center of the pitch, Cecily tilted her broom to the ground, diving down, pulling up just as her feet brushed the grass. It was risky, it was stupid, it was exhilarating. She shot back up towards the sky, grinning idiotically, hovering high above the world, just breathing in the air, just living. Any Ravenclaw attributes she may have possessed were dissolved as soon as her feet left the ground. Really, why would anyone want to land again?
Last edited by Maya Galim on 16th February 2019, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- Cecily Quinn --
and until we meet again.

It was another cloudy day on the Hogwarts grounds. Cecelia found herself yet again at the Quidditch Pitch, a place where she had been many times during the winter season. Often times, Cecily would go there when it was cold out, for most of the time everyone was inside, and rarely no one was out on the Quidditch Pitch.

Expecting to find no one there, Cecily slightly rolled her eyes as she approached the pitch to see, what it looked like, a second year flying around. Cecily assumed it was a second year because most first years weren't allowed to fly or they were too scared anyway. Not wanting to be seen, Cecily hid behind a one of the big Ravenclaw stands. She watched the other girl fly around in awe.

Oh, she was so good! Everything she did made Cecily's eyes widen even more. The way she tilted her broom, sped up, slowed down, descended, and ascended was marvelous. And her broom! It was not surely... it could not possibly be a Nimbus 2001! No, it had to be. Cecily's insides squirmed at the thought of the Nimbus 2001.

Cecily had always wanted a broom for the longest time. Even before she was in Hogwarts, she loved Quidditch. She never even wanted a nice broom, but one to at least give her a chance. Her parents did not give in to her pleads, however. They had spent enough money on Cecelia's other siblings, who were also in Quidditch. Cecelia knew her parents were able to afford it, but her parents were the kind who would never waste money, even if it seemed like a good purchase. To Cecily's great disappointment, they did not think a broom was worthwhile for Cecily, as much as she loved the sport.

As Cecily watched the girl more and more, she sighed. Her face felt green with envy, but she tried to shake it off. She knew she shouldn't be jealous, but she couldn't help it. Her dream broom was just right above her. Cecelia sighed more as the girl continued to fly. She would probably never ever stop, would she?

Why would she anyway. Flying must be the most wonderful thing in the world. Cecelia thought, as she continued to observe the girl.

Wondering what to do, Cecelia kicked a few rocks beside her, wondering when the girl would come down. Now, she dearly wanted to talk to her, but the girl continued to fly, unaware of Cecily's presence.

Then, all of the sudden Cecily's face brightened up as the girl neared the ground near the center of the pitch like she was going to land. Cecelia watched closely, already thinking up conversation starters to have with the girl. Then, the girl pushed up from the ground just before hitting it, and shot up back in the air. Cecily's mouth dropped, with surprise, awe, and... a little annoyance. Yes, the Ravenclaw had to admit, she was slightly annoyed, but what this girl had just done was stunning, and made Cecelia's heart skip a beat with delight, even though she was only watching.

Cecelia Dahlia Queen
Stats: Strength: 9 Agility: 9 
Control: 10
 Stamina: 7

Cecily breathed in the clean, crips air that resided so high off of the ground. The smell reminded her vaguely of her home, the whipping wind feeling the same as it does on the moors. She could stay up here forever, just pretending she was back in Ireland. She couldn't lie to herself-- it was making her a little homesick, as much as she would deny it, but homesickness was a bittersweet feeling 200 metres off the ground.

She moved forwards, going slowly now, still breathless from her reckless laps and dives and tricks. She had never imagined herself as good at flying-- sure, she could probably be good, she was just never given opportunities to practice, what with her brothers always using the family broom. But perhaps she was better than she gave herself credit for, the girl realized as she continued flying lazy circles around the pitch. Was skill at flying a genetic thing? Did she get it from one of her parents? Her father was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, but she had no idea how well he did on a broom.

The Ravenclaw mindlessly drifted lower and lower, lost in thought, until her feet brushed the ground. Cecily sighed as she was yanked back to reality-- school, drama, Scotland-- from her blissful flight, but was immediately alert as she caught a flash of movement in her peripheral vision. Turning, she spotted a flash of light hair-- not enough to recognize whomever it was, but enough to know they were there.

And thus began the dilemma. Should she approach the other person, or just pretend she didn't see them? Certainly, the latter would be much more pleasant. She could just push off the ground again and take to the air, quietly revelling once more in the cool, sharp wind in the sky. And besides, she already had a few friends, and no reason to talk to anyone else. She had lived eleven years of her life talking to the same eight or so people, why should she need more? She was a padlocked book, and only a few had found the code to get to really get to know her-- and she didn't give it out lightly.

But Cecily knew that she really didn't want to be that girl forever. Amadea and Adam and Ami would find other friends, better friends, and she would be left behind. Hell, Ami already had five thousand people she talked to, give or take. Maybe it was time Cecily expanded her circles. And so, with her mind somewhat reluctantly and very unconfidently made up, Cecily approached the other student, broom in hand.

Getting closer, the person took on familiar qualities, until Cecily finally recognised Cecily Queen. She hadn't talked to her fellow Ravenclaw since the Library Lock-In in her first year, barely even saw her around, but Cecily had learned over the past year that she was good with faces.

"Cecily, hi! It's been a while," Cecily started, smiling. She wasn't sure if the other girl remembered her, but hoped to heaven that she did, or this would all of a sudden get very awkward.

-- Cecily Quinn --
and until we meet again.

The other girl had finally touched the ground, this time for real, and Cecelia looked intently at the floor. She had no idea what this girl would be like after seeing her fly around. She suspected she might be prideful, but Cecily was also interested in talking to her about Quidditch.

It took a little while for the two to meet, as Cecily suspected the other girl was deciding whether to approach her or not. Finally the girl picked up her broom and approached Cecily.

"Cecily, hi! It's been a while," the girl greeted her. Cecily immediately opened her mouth a little, in surprise that the girl knew her name.

Cecily immediately wracked her brain with ideas of how this person could know her name. Well, it was obvious. They had met before, but where? Cecily thought hard, as fast as possible, not trying to make awkward faces while the other girl stood there.

Of course! The Ravenclaw Lock-In! Images of the Library and a beachball being tossed to her came rushing back to her head. It seemed so long ago, yet Cecily remembered it very well.

In her first year, Cecily attended a Ravenclaw Lock-In in the Library, something she remembered a lot because of how bold she was to go to it. Cecelia was always a very shy, awkward little girl back when she first joined Hogwarts, so going there was pretty unusual.

While there, Cecily met this Ravenclaw girl standing in front of her, two Ravenclaw prefects named... well one was Ph-Paige? Phaedre? Phaedra! And the other one... well his name started with an A. Something like Ad-Andres? No... something else. She also met many other fellow first-year Ravenclaws. Cecily could barely remember their names but knew she would recognize them if she saw them.

Finally, Cecily snapped back to reality. The other Ravenclaw's blue-green eyes started right at her. Her bright, blonde hair was blowing elegantly in the wind, so perfectly Cecily almost started smiling at the sight of it.

Slowing drifting off into a daydream once more, Cecily shook herself awake and almost fell over while doing so. Cecily looked at the girl embarrassed, but knew she had to say something before it got any more awkward. But what was her name? Cecily knew it started with a D... no... a C. But what was it?

"Hello... er-" Cecily began, forcing words out, trying to think of a name that started with C.

"Cecily!" she blurted out. Cecily was the only name she could think of that started with a C, but knew she was wrong.

Cecily! Goodness! Now it's all awkward. She scolded herself silently.

"I mean... your name isn't Cecily. My name is Cecily but yours-" Cecily started, and then she stopped short. No, that was her name! Cecily!

"I mean, your name is Cecily, and so is mine," she finished, trying to cover up her mistake, but she knew she couldn't and immediately turned bright red. "Sorry about that. It has been a while." She giggled quietly, hoping Cecily would forgive her for being a complete embarrassment.

"I watched you fly for a bit. You are prodigiously good. Is that a Nimbus 2001?" she asked, with wide eyes completely on the broom.

ooc: sorry for not replying sooner!

Cecelia Dahlia Queen

Cecily could feel the awkwardness radiating off of the other girl as she desperately searched for a name. She could understand the girl's struggle. Cecily wasn't the greatest with people, and commonly experienced such embarrassment when engaged in any sort of interaction whatsoever. She was the absolute worst at small talk, and tended to ramble when she found a subject she cared about. Talk too little, talk too much, there was no correct answer. Over the past couple of years, though, she had become adept at masking her incompetence. However, for the other Cecily's sake, she put on a smile and laughed lightly with the girl as Other Cecily giggled at her own mishap. "Cecily, yep that's my name."

Cecily blushed at the compliment, brushing a strand of hair out of her face. "Yes, I got it for Christmas. I couldn't wait to try it out! But...I wouldn't say I'm that good. I mean, it's not like I fly a lot. But I guess I'm sort of okay?" She fished for the right words, trying not to sound vain, but also not putting herself down. Self-confidence was something she was alway trying to improve, but a little could go a long way in most situations.

So she was already starting to regret coming over here. Small talk was not her thing; right, this was why she spent all of her time avoiding social contact. The awkwardness was already starting to envelop Cecily's emotions, and everything was yelling at her to just say "goodbye" and be done with this. But she came over here with a mission: to make a friend. This interaction could still be saved...right? Right. Yes, she could do this. It was just talking; she did it with Amadea and Adam every day. Why not with a housemate?

"Uh, so yeah. Can-- are you good at flying?" Cecily heaved an internal sigh. Yep, small talk was not her thing.

ooc: pleeeease you never have to apologise for not replying quickly, I am the worst at staying on top of replies

-- Cecily Quinn --
and until we meet again.

She listened intently as the other Cecily told her about the broom. Cecily had always admired anyone who had a broom, or wanted to fly. She loved Quidditch, and didn't understand how some people didn't enjoy it.

She raised her eyebrows when Cecily confessed she was only okay at it. How could she think that! This girl was absolutely brilliant on the broom! Cecily always hated how people told everyone they weren't good at something when they really were, and everyone knew it. She didn't say anything however, for she knew Cecily was most likely just trying to be humble, which Cecelia never argued against, but appreciated.

Cecelia looked down at the floor for a pause. She hated having awkward conversations, but didn't know what else to say.

I could ask her about the team. Or school. It doesn't have to be about Quidditch. she thought to herself, trying to quickly think of ways to discard the awkwardness.

Thankfully, the other Cecily saved her, now asking her about Quidditch. Cecily sighed when she heard this. She had always wanted a broom ever since her older siblings started to do Quidditch, which was at a very young age, but wasn't allowed one till she was older. Because of that, Cecily had never flown before. She had watched very many games, of course, and took the school's flying class, but never flew on her own. It always made her a bit sad to see other second years have their own broom and freedom to fly whenever they wished, but it always made her interested to talk to them, so at least that was a plus.

"Not really," Cecily confessed, now starting intently at the floor. "I've always wished for a broom. I'm not allowed one till I'm much older. And my parents don't like spending a bunch of money on me while I'm so young. I've flown before, that is in the flying classes, but never on my own outside of that. I'm not even allowed by my parents to try out for the Quidditch team till later years." Cecily almost felt like crying while speaking her troubles out loud.

"I guess it makes sense. Quidditch is a dangerous sport. But it's so... exhilarating. And wonderful. I just can't help resist it when seeing a lot of students all the time flying on their own. And even all the Quidditch games as well. I do hope someday I will be on a team, though. That's my dream."

Cecily smiled as an image of her looking through pictures of her mother, Dahlia, playing Quidditch. She always wished to be like her mom, who had played some professional Quidditch after her time at Hogwarts.

The Ravenclaw snapped back to reality, and quickly tried to think of another question before there was more silence. All she could hope for was that Cecily was thinking deeply like her, and it didn't even seem silent.

"So... um... have you tried out for the Quidditch team?" she asked, eyeing the Nimbus 2001 once more. She hoped she could get to know Cecily better, without having any other awkward moments. But she had a feeling it would be hard.

ooc: aw thanks! but... i literally can't help but apologize again for not replying sooner. :lol: and also i'm sorry this post is not very good :mute: school has been crazy...

Cecelia Dahlia Queen

Cecily listened as the other girl talked about her parents, quidditch, and Everything in between. It seemed like the other Cecily could talk for a while if she really got on a roll, but Cecily didn't mind. She was really more of a listener anyway, no good at making small talk.

But when she was asked about something she was passionate about...well, she could go on forever. Music, books, Ireland-- or Quidditch. She had been flying since she was young; she knew all the tricks of the trade, and wasn't afraid to impart her knowledge on anyone that brought it up.

"Yeah! I was so nervous because I didn't know how good anyone was, but I actually got on the team! I'm a chaser. I was really surprised when I got the position. I'm really excited for our first match!" Cecily couldn't hide a smile in anticipation. Forget the whole super-cool magic stuff; this was what she came to Hogwarts for. She remembered the owl she had received from her brother when she told him the news: Cecily, I'm so proud of you! You're following in my footsteps. I know you're gonna blow them all away! Yes, he was in Gryffindor, not Ravenclaw, but it was close enough. She still glowed under his praise.

"You should try out for the team anyway! Your parents don't have to know," Cecily whispered conspiritorially, laughing. This girl wanted to be on the team more than anything, and Cecily was just encouraging her to chase her dreams. If she made the team...well,maybe her parents would find out and maybe it would be bad, but maybe it wouldn't. If she didn't make it, no harm done!

Cecily laughed again, but this time for a different reason. What was she doing?! She was not a bad influence. This was not her typical behavior. But there apparently was something about this other Cecily that broke her out of her shell (or maybe the person writing her was just tired and distracted and doing a bad job). But it was exciting, making trouble. Scary, yes, but exciting for sure. It was an adventure!
ooc: seriously I'm just tired and distracted and this is the worst reply I've ever written, oops :sweatingbullets:
at least I finally replied haha @Cecily Queen

-- Cecily Quinn --
and until we meet again.

She stared into the air for a moment after asking her question. Wow, how chilly it was outside. Extremely. She shivered on the inside as she put her hands in between her legs to keep her hands warm. She had no gloves on, mainly because she ususally kept those locked away in her trunk after the winter season was mainly over. But today Cecily regretted that decision. However, all her thoughts of it being chilly instantly faded as the other Cecily started to speak again. Cecelia always loved talking to people, and especially thought Cecily was exciting and interesting to talk to.

"Wow," Cecelia commented. "That's fantastic. Good luck in your first match! I'm sure the team will do great."

She tried to sound excited, and she was, but Cecelia couldn't help but feel the tiniest bit jealous. She did the best she could to smile, but knew it was possibly the most fake smile she had ever put on.

She looked down at the floor next, avoiding Cecily's eyes altogether. Then, the girl suggested she try out for the team. Cecelia now could hardly believe her ears. No one had ever told her that. To try out for the Quidditch team!

She was almost speechless... and didn't know exactly why. Most likely it was because no one really recognized Cecily's love and passion for Quidditch. And Cecily was so grateful the prefect did that she could actually put on a genuine smile now.

"Y-you mean that? That's very nice of you... no one has ever said that to me," the Ravenclaw blurted out. She looked directly at Cecily's eyes and did put on the real smile she had been thinking about. "But I would never do something without my parents knowing. I know, I know. I probably sound like a wimp just wanting to obey my parents and follow the rules. But I have no desire to disobey them. Even if they won't let me do something I love." Cecily found her eyes watering up a bit. She swallowed hard to prevent them coming.

"And I wouldn't be good at it anyway. I mean, I don't even have a broom. I wouldn't be able to practice on my own before tryouts." She sighed, imagining what it would be like to be on the team. The two Cecilys, flying around as chasers, scoring goals left and right, bringing Ravenclaw to victory. Hey, maybe it was worth the risk.

But Cecelia knew she was imaging things that would never become a reality one day.

"Uh..." Cecily said quickly, trying to keep the conversation going before it died. "Do you have any siblings? That play or used to play Quidditch?" It was the only question Cecily could think of because she had some family that did.

ooc: @Cecily Quinn ahchasdhjasdkj i'm so sorry for not replying! i've been so busy and then sometimes I don't even know where time goes xD And noo you're totally fine and the post was not bad at all! (:

Cecelia Dahlia Queen

Cecily still couldn't believe what she had said. For one, who was she to tell someone how to live their life? One doesn't just go around saying people should go against authority figures in their life. What the hell? This was ridiculously un-Cecily. She was the stand-back, hide-in-the-shadows, your-problem-isn't-mine Ravenclaw, not this sort of bad influence.

But nevertheless...she couldn't help but bask in the feeling. There was something gloriously and immensely freeing about breaking the rules-- especially unfair ones. It was breaking metaphorical chains holding her back. Yes. of course parents want what's best, but how would they know every time? If the other girl wanted to play quidditch professionally, shouldn't she get an early start? For experience and all that. And if she didn't...well, it was still good to be well rounded. Plus, being on a team helped Cecily learn about teamwork and communication. Really, there were a lot of benefits.

"O-of course, I get that." Cecily stuttered, flustered and still trying to work through what, exactly, had made her say this. She had expected this answer, of course, but it didn't make it any the less disappointing. Again, though, she shouldn't have Cecily to disobey her parents in the first place, so who was she to be disappointed? "No, yeah, I uh, didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, I...don't even know what I was even saying anyway, I'm not usually that...that bad of an influence." She tripped her awkward way through the apology, eyeing the grass, the ground, anything but the girl in front of her. The brisk February chill suddenly seemed harsher than ever on her downturned face, mocking her dumb mistakes.

The other girl started talking again, giving Cecily a brief respite in which to pull herself together. She took a deep breath, filling her lungs with icy air. "Yeah, my brother, Rowan. He was a beater for Gryffindor. He graduated a few years ago," Cecily answered, looking up at the sky. It really was quite chilly out, obnoxiously so, but the clear sky showed no hints of winter. "I have another brother, in Ravenclaw; he's a sixth year though. But he's not on the team." Cecily opened her mouth to talk about her younger sister too, but she knew that that was going too far. She had only been asked about her siblings on the team, and she had already gone somewhat off-topic. She didn't need to share every detail of her life.

Suddenly, she was struck by a wonderful, exciting idea. The other Cecily's parents had apparently decreed that she couldn't play Quidditch until she was older, but... "Hey." The Ravenclaw glanced around the pitch surreptitiously and smiled, unable to hold in a mischevious grin. She really, really hoped this went over better then her other "great" idea. "Wanna use mine?" She cautiously held out her broom to the other girl, still smiling. The other girl needed to fly, and Cecily understood the feeling. They were all alone on the pitch-- who would tell?

-- Cecily Quinn --
and until we meet again.

Cecelia innocently looked around, trying to cover up the fact that she could barely contain herself. The conversation was actually going alright! But the awkwardness came rushing back when Cecily noticed the Ravenclaw seemed embarrassed about something she said, although Cecily didn't know quite what it was. Cecelia was always good at noticing peoples facial expresses, whether they were very obvious or not. It became more clear what the third year was awkward about once she replied, however. It was what she had said about Cecily's parents. And quite honestly, Cecelia didn't feel too awkward about it, so she quickly moved past it.

"It's alright. Don't fret about it," Cecily said softly.

The girl then started talking about her siblings. Cecelia nodded a bit, looking at her shoes now. "That's nice," was all Cecily could manage."I have four siblings," she continued. "Two used to play on the Griffyndor team, actually. Maybe your siblings knew them. And I have two sisters, but they don't play." Cecily's tone was lower, although she didn't know exactly why.

Cecily was just staring in the open space for a couple of seconds until she realized that she had taken a couple steps away from the other Ravenclaw. Her face turned a bit red and then she returned to the original stance she was at.

She continued to stare, not really sure what to ask the girl next. She secretly hoped that the girl would get back on her broom and fly again so Cecily could watch her. It was extremely satisfying and exciting. When the girl asked if Cecily wanted to use hers, she barely could believe her ears.
Did she really just say that! Oh my. I'm going to go insane. Ahhhh. No! Stay calm. Stay calm, Cecily! she frantically thought to herself.
"Uh. I don't know for sure. That's really generous of you, and I'd hate to get your broom all dirty," Cecelia told her, trying to be polite. She desperately did want to ride it, nevertheless.

"And my parents would be furious. I know they would. If I got in trouble or ruined your broom... I-" her voice cut short at the thought of it. But excitement filled her eyes just a couple seconds later. The girl looked at the other Cecily and her eyes sparkled with joy. "But," she began, almost in a whisper. "I'd love to." And with that, she smiled, possibly the most genuine smile she had ever put on, and then hoped that answer would suffice.

ooc: sorry for not replying sooner! and i'm so sorry that this post is absolutely terrible. XD have fun on your vacation!

Cecelia Dahlia Queen