Library

Register
Sign in

D&D: Hello there, pals!  Series' Part 01   PV   Cl 

Private RPG with:
Marian Lynch || Muriel Corall || Amanda Sparrow

Place: Library
Time: 07:34 PM

Dot's sparkling high heels made a 'tack...tack...tack' noise against the marbled floor of the giant library of Hogwarts as she walked in, clutching a pack and a handbook along with it to her chest. It wasn't everyday that Dot decided to ditch her usual sneakers and go for a pair of blue-colored heels, but every once in a while, she'd need to change her styles and go for what's okay for the moment.

Dot's facial expressions showed neither pleasure nor displeasure for the comfort (or uncomfort) of the heels as she nodded a hello to the chubby librarian and made her way to the tables' section. Today, Dot won't be searching around in the place for a book to read - today Dot had her own book this time, a Muggle board game manual she'll be reading in the peace and quiet of her favorite place in the world.

The book she held was a nonfiction one, which was unusual for Dot, but considering how much she was into the Muggle fantasy board game Dungeons & Dragons, it should be expected. Back at her home, in the Muggle world, Dot used to play the game online on a roleplaying website that offered virtual dices. Dot hadn't been playing for too long, but she had a basic idea about the races, adventures and other major details of the game.

Since her twin brothers, Tahir and Tariq, despised the game, she never bought it in real life - she had no one to play it with. Sahara, her three years old sister, preferred swallowing the dices rather than playing with them. And so, Dot never touched the board game in real life.

Until the previous week. Dot had received an owl from her mother, a wrapped package. Upon tearing off the gift paper, Dot realised that it was the fifth edition of her favorite board game, the latest and updated version. Looking at it had made her whoop loudly, scaring the owls in the Owlery. Then she had written probably the longest ever thank-you letter to Maria Saleh, her adoptive mother.

It didn't take long for Dot to spot and head for the first table she saw. A girl was already sitting there, but Dot rather didn't care. She just wanted to sit down and get to reading her Dungeons & Dragons' player handbook and understand all of the rules already. Sometimes, reading nonfiction feels good as well.

Approaching the girl, Dot felt just an inch of surprise in her. The long and dark haired girl was someone Dot had seen before. What was her name again? Conner? Cornal? Caroll, perhaps? She didn't clearly remember, since Dot hadn't personally talked to the girl before. She had seen her only in the hallways, sometimes in class, and heard her last name when professors called her.

Clearing her throat, Dot tapped lightly on the girl's shoulder. "May I sit here?" She asked, her voice coming out polite and gentle, like almost always when she talked to strangers.

Reducio
OOC note:
So finally we get the thread up, yeah? Phew.
It's Muriel Caroll's turn right now, by the way. I'm guessing Marian and Amanda will be next. Be prepared, guys!
P.S: Only my first posts are this long (if you'd consider it that), expect the follow-ups to be short.

"When I die, I want free Wi-Fi fitted inside my tombstone, just so people will visit more often."

Muriel sat in her favorite room of Hogwarts: the library. The peace and quiet was all she could ask for as she sunk her nose into a brand new book. Unlike some students at the school, she didn't have a 'clique' or group to hang out with and have fun. Was it because she was a First Year and didn't know many people yet? Perhaps. Was it because of her shyness that made her appear distant? Maybe. Was it because she prioritized her studies over socialization? Most likely. Or was it all of the above? ...That was probably it.

And so, with all these thoughts running about in her head, Muriel found herself rereading the first paragraph for the seventh time and decided to put the book down with a sigh. She knew that it was the perfect time to be studying; it was late enough for her classes to be over, but not too late for her to have to go and lock herself in her dorm. Yet, for some reason she couldn't summon up her usual focus at the moment.

Deciding to just daydream instead, Muriel zoned out, staring blankly at the bookshelf ahead, reminiscing about her home she left and all her childhood memories. She got so deep into her daydream that a light tap on her shoulder caused her to jump in her seat and let out a small squeak of surprise. She turned her head to the source of the tap; a girl with brown hair and noticeably sparkly, blue high-heeled shoes that she vaguely recognized from around the halls and perhaps some classes.

With a glaze still in her eyes, she answered the girl's question awkwardly. "Oh, umm... yes, of course." She said, shifting her chair a bit to make sure she had plenty of room and rubbing her eyes to look more awake. As she watched the girl sit down, Muriel couldn't help but notice the things she was holding, and her curiosity quickly got the best of her. "What's all of that?" She asked as respectfully as possible, hoping she didn't look too nosy.   

Stamina: 8; Agility: 8; Strength: 5; Control: 9

Dot arched an eyebrow at the girl's squeak, but didn't made a face to criticize her. Usually she squeaks when surprised herself, and when the other person looks at her as if she's crazy or something, she feels...embarrassed.

Brushing her hair back with one hand, Dot noticed the slight glaze in the girl's eyes as she blinked up at Dot, before replying.

A slight grin on her face, Dot pulled back one of the neatly polished wooden chairs back with a light screech and plopped down on it, placing her Dungeons & Dragons Starter Pack and her Dungeons & Dragons Player Handbook on the desk. From the week, Dot had been grinning more, she noticed. When she had first arrived at the castle, she had been considerably awkward and introvert, not going around and speaking much. But later on a few days, Dot decided that she had to do something to break her shell, and she began by smiling at passer-bys to signing up for the Gryffindor magazine.

Dot was about to pick up her game manual when the girl spoke up again.
"What's all of that?"
Dot gestured toward her starter pack and manual, saying, "These?" Then mentally slapped herself. Of course, the girl was talking about her game. Brushing some hair back again, Dot continued, "Well, it's a Muggle game handbook and the game itself. Dungeons and Dragons - maybe you've heard of it?"

Biting her lower lip, Dot looked at the girl for any traces of disrespect towards a 'muggle game'. Since the incident with Lydia, Dot has been careful as to what she's saying in public, in case she'd attract more purists to hex and jinx her only because she was brought up in the Muggles' world.

"When I die, I want free Wi-Fi fitted inside my tombstone, just so people will visit more often."

Eyes widening at what the girl said next, Muriel grinned from ear to ear, a wave of memories flooding over her as she remembered the stormy days in her hometown that cut off the entire town’s electricity; how she’d spent those days in front of the fireplace with her father, looking down at the very same board game. “Y-ya, I’ve heard of it! I-I played it with my father a while back... it was really interesting!” She exclaimed, stuttering over her words due to her excitement and habitual nerves.

With everything now on the desk, Muriel was able to get a closer look at the game and quickly recognized the cover. She gave it another smile before peering back up at the girl who owned it. What was her name again? It was really catchy... an alliteration of d’s... “...Dott... right?” She asked hesitantly, hoping she wouldn’t offend the girl if the name was wrong. She then looked around at the tables, noticing the empty chairs and lack of warm bodies around. “Are you, uhh... expecting others?”

Muriel knew the game was multiplayer and began to wonder why the girl had come all alone. By this point she knew she was being awfully intrusive, something that made her begin to regret ever saying anything in the first place, but the game continued to interest her, and there was no going back now.

When the girl grinned, Dot was confused at first. Then when she explained, Dot got it and grinned herself, happy to know that the girl shared an interest with her favorite game, even though she didn't really know her.
“...Dott... right?”
Dot nodded, stretching her hand forward for a shake. "Dot Dutt, at your service." Her smile was polite and nice, just the way it always is when she greets someone or introduces herself. Just as Jane taught, she thought, the memories fresh despite the years of gap.
“Are you, uhh... expecting others?”
It took Dot a moment to understand, and when she did, she shook her head. "Um, no, I don't really have anyone to play with. It's just that I was going to read the rulebook, you know. Get to know some of the stuff better." She shrugged. "A past time, just."

Dot knew that to play Dungeons & Dragons, you needed at least two people, though maximum doesn't have a limit. Since neither of her siblings would play with her, she'd always play online, on a special website created for it. She didn't like the video game, no, but where she played it, it wasn't the vidgame type. Rather four or five people made a group and played together. So she had never played with the actual physical dices, but with virtual ones.

Reducio
OOC -
Sorry for 1) short and uncreative post since I'm having a writers block at the moment and 2) any confusions that came with the change of voice color - it's just that blue is biting me in the eyes these days, so I'm switching to purple.
Next turn: Amanda and Marian, then we'll continue together.

Amanda entered the library, determined to study for her classes. Amanda’s grades were average, but she felt like they could use more work. So there she was, books in hand, ready to get down to business. That is, unless she got distracted by something else, which is precisely what would happen.

Amanda sat down at an empty table and laid out her study materials. Textbooks, check. Parchment, check. Quill and ink, check and check. She reluctantly also pulled out her glasses and put them on. She didn’t like wearing them, but was slowly getting used to them. Maybe soon I’ll start wearing them all of the time, like I’m supposed to. Sighing, Amanda opened her Defense Against the Dark Arts textbooks and got to work.

After twenty minutes or so, Amanda looked up from her schoolwork and yawned. She was bored, and when she was bored, she felt extremely lethargic. She took off her glasses and rubbed her eyes. I wish somebody I know would come along and give me something to do besides schoolwork. Amanda shut the textbook rather loudly, earning some glares from other students, and put her school supplies away. She then pulled her reading book, Coraline, out of her satchel and began reading.

“Oh, I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.”
~ Amanda Sparrow ~

Early evening, September 7th, 2018

Marian had bad memories from the library from the previous day, yet something she could not explain nor understand drew her back. one might suspect that it was the library's fault for Marian's change of heart, her newfound ability to make enimies. Marian was still trying to shove her life changing mistakes from yesterday out of her mind, but they kept springing back up in her mind. Now she was drawn to the library, maybe she could fix the mistakes from yesterday.

Dispite the guilt and bad memories the library gave her, something about it made Marian happy. Maybe it was the walls of books, the familiar faces scattered around the library, or maybe Marian was already happy. A reason she knew, but she would not reveal to anyone.

Though nowadays she usually travelled with Amber, she was alone. That is, until she recognised Amanda. They had met two days ago, they had become friends during the candy picnic Marian had planned.

"Hello Amanda, are you studying? Don't mean to interrupt you, but may I sit here?"

Marian sat down and hoped Amanda wouldn't think Marian was bored, for she wasn't. she was merely thinking. Thinking about how to erase the guilt from her mind.

Stamina- 4 Strength-5 Agility-6 Control-5
ArcPower- 4 Accuracy-6
Marian Lynch

Dungeons & Dragons
Chapter One: Step-by-Step Characters

Your first step in playing an adventurer in the Dungeons & Dragons game is to imagine and create a character of your own. Your character is a combination of game statistics, roleplaying hooks, and your imagination. You choose a race (such as human or halfling) and a class (such as fighter or wizard). You also invent the personality, appearance, and backstory of your character. Once completed, your character serves as your representative in the game, your avatar in the Dungeons & Dragons world...continued.

Dot set the book on the table and yawned, stretching her arms wide, but not so much so that Muriel would think of it as rude. Brushing back a dark lock of hair, she glanced at the open book on the table. Dot had been reading it for a while now, and she had already completed the first part, Introduction. She was just on the first chapter of the second part, Creating A Character, when she decided that her back has begun to hurt from the constant hunching over to read the book. Library was nice, quiet and a peaceful place, but to do some comfortable reading, Dot needed a bed, or an armchair.

Dot looked around and spotted two figures next to their own table, a Hufflepuff and a Ravenclaw. They didn't seem to do any extreme studying, just like passing time. Dot glanced at Muriel. "Um, Muriel? I guess I'll be going over to them -" She jabbed her thumb in the girls' direction "- for a bit of conversing. Fancy joining me?"

The idea seemed ridiculous, changing tables to go to talk to someone in library, but Dot was getting bored with reading nonfiction. Plus, Dot had earlier the day made a pledge to herself: get to know the names of at least five people. It was a personal rule to help her get a bit more comfortable and social with the students of Hogwarts, and to break her I'm-so-shy shield.

Grabbing her items, Dot pushed the seat back and stood up, walking over to the girls' place. She flashed a pretty smile at them and asked, "May I sit here, ladies?" in a polite voice. She hoped the girls won't be irritated at her arrival, but looking at them, they didn't seem mean - at least, not like the purist Lydia she had met earlier the week.

Reducio
OOC -
So I guess the turn system is going the same way (First Dot followed by Muriel before Amanda and then finally Marian) but I don't want to act too bossy or something, so if you want to post first, go ahead.
And yes, please subscribe to the thread to be notified of any new posts and try to reply as soon as possible. It'll reduce the boring waiting for the rest of us (:

Muriel had nodded understandingly and returned the handshake as Dot explained herself. The game was very complex, so reading the rulebook would be a good idea for the girl to do if she wanted to play it properly in the future. She returned a smile back towards her before eventually looking away again, going off into another daydream. She knew she’d come to the library to study, but at this point she’d might as well enjoy the little bit of free time she had before having to go back to her dorm and start her classes again tomorrow.

Her thoughts were interrupted as Dot spoke again, saying she was going to move. She followed her thumb towards another table where two other girls were sitting and looked back at her curiously when asked if she would join her. “Oh, umm... okay...” She answered hesitantantly before getting up and following her to the table, now able to see the girls more clearly.

One of them was a Ravenclaw who she roughly recognized from... somewhere, most likely classes or maybe the common room. The other girl however she didn’t know at all, which most likely meant she was from another house. She listened as Dot asked permission to sit with them, and guessed that she should say something as well. “And me too... if you don’t mind... please...” She added softly, dreading if they’d refuse and she’d have to embarrassingly walk back to her own table. 

Amanda turned when she heard a familiar voice. “Oh, hi Marian! I’m not studying, or at least I’m not anymore. And yes, please sit here. I’m terribly bored. how have you been doing? I know that I saw you only a few days ago, but still.” Amanda grinned at the other girl. She was extremely grateful for the company. Amanda stuck a bookmark in her book, closed it, and placed it back into her school bag. “Have you ever read Coraline? It’s quite fascinating, really. I haven’t finished though.” She pushed her glasses back up her nose, which had almost fallen off when she had bent down to put her book away.

Two girls approached the table, one Gryffindor and one Ravenclaw. They asked if they could join them and Amanda nodded and glanced at Marian. “Sure, I don’t mind. What about you, Marian?” Amanda’s gaze drifted to the object that the Gryffindor was carrying. “What’s that you’ve got there? Some sort of game?” She sat up straight, her curiosity piqued. Looks like I’ve found my distraction.

Then Amanda remembered her manners. “Oh, I’m Amanda Sparrow and this is Marian, um, Lynch, I believe.” Amanda looked to her friend for affirmation. “What are your names?”

“Oh, I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.”
~ Amanda Sparrow ~

Amanda looked up and recognised Marian as the freind she had met the other day. She asked Marian if she had ever read the book coraline, to which Marian responded "No, I can't say that I have."

A Gryffindor girl approached the table holding some sort of game Marian had never seen before, and politely asked if her and a Ravenclaw may sit with them. Amanda didn't mind, and asked Marian if she minded. "Not at all," she replied. "Please join us!"

At least this girl asked if she could sit with them, instead of just sitting down, which Marian found very rude. A girl named Anastasia Beckett had done the very thing Marian found rude, and, well that was another story.

Amanda introducued herself and Marian to the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw. She stumbled on Marian's last name for a bit, but when she said Lynch, Marian nodded.

Marian was curious about the game the Gryffindor held. She mentally went through all the games she knew, but didn't recognise the game. "What game is that?" Marian asked, trying to be polite.

Maybe Marian would be able to play the mysterious game with them.
Hopefully these new girls would be friends, not enimes.

Stamina- 4 Strength-5 Agility-6 Control-5
ArcPower- 4 Accuracy-6
Marian Lynch

Dot smiled politely at both of the girls when they give her permission to sit down and plopped down on a seat. When the girl with the glasses introduced herself as 'Amanda Sparrow', Dot nodded and said, "Pleasure to meet you both. I'm Dot - Dutt. Dot Dutt."

Honestly speaking, Dot liked her name a lot. The alliterations of Ds was one thing that she particularly liked, but for some reason, it was a matter of laughter for other people. She was used to having kids laugh at her back at her Muggle school - which was why she always, always had a defensive tone when introducing herself.

When both the girl - one after other - asked about the game which she placed on the table before sitting, she shrugged one shoulder. "It's a roleplaying game, Dungeons & Dragons. Maybe you've heard of it? It's nice, you know."

With that, Dot chewed on her lower lip as she settled the handbook over the game set neatly, with no intentions of starting to read the book again. Besides textbooks, Dot usually found non-fiction boring. She couldn't bear to read nonfiction more than one part (a few chapters) in one time. Novels for her, however, were completely different. She is used to reading a whole novel in one go.

Reducio
OOC - Sorry for making you guys wait! I was gone because of some problem, but now I'm back - although a bit unactive at times - and hopefully will continue with the RP. Sorry again!

Muriel quietly sat down as well, very happy to be accepted at the table. She listened to the conversation pass between the three before finally speaking as well when names were asked. “I’m Muriel... Carroll... it's nice to meet you both as well.” She said with a polite dip of her head. She went silent again as she let Dot explain the game and quietly observed the girls’ faces.

They seemed very curious. And intrigued. Perhaps they wanted to play? Though she wasn’t sure if they recognized or knew how to play. Even Dot had said she was only going to read the rule book. But the more she stared at them, the more she could visualize it all. A decent sized team of three, as one had to be the dungeon master. With a good storyline, everything could be really fun! Definitely more fun than she had playing by herself when her father had to do all the storytelling.

“Yes, it’s very nice... and fun...” She forced herself to add suddenly, wondering if her words sounded anywhere near persuasive rather than just awkward. The truth was she was getting really interested now that they were more in number. But she was getting too ahead of herself; asking them to play would sound too forceful, it’d be better for them to ask the question theirselves. That is if she hadn’t already drew them away.

Reducio
OOC: Apologies as well! School has been extremely busy for me and I haven’t had time to properly get on the site in a while. Hopefully things will die down and I’ll post quicker.  :sweatingbullets: