Library

Register
Sign in

You like Muggle books, too?  Ongoing   Closed 

Time: 08:55 AM
Place: Library

Dot stared at the shelves in front of her, enchanted.
After the breakfast, Dot was supposed to read any novel she'd like for a while, before going near the Lake to study. Her choice on novels were science-fiction, muggle, and she doubted that she'd be able to find nice sci-fi books here at the Hogwarts library.
However, there was a special section called Muggle Books, which had the subsection Muggle Fiction, which had shelves and shelves of many muggle genres including science-fiction, fantasy, mystery, thriller, young adult, et cetera.
She gaped at them all, trying to decide what should she pick up.
After wasting a minute or two, she finally walked up to the SCI-FI section and searched through them. The shelf had both old books, like Frankenstein, and new books, like Ready Player One. Biting her lip, Dot neared to the newer books' area and began her hunt for the perfect book.
At first, she picked up The Eye Of Minds by James Dashner. The cover was awesome and vibrant, and had a rare vulnerable look to it which made Dot want to keep the book safe and handle it with care. She turned the book and read the blurb behind it.
WELCOME TO THE VIRTNET
A world beyond your wildest dreams...and your worst nightmares

The VirtNet offers total mind and body immersion, and the more hacking skills you have, the more fun it is. Why following the rules when most of them are dumb, anyway?
But some rules are made for a reason. Some technology is too dangerous to fool with. And one gamer has been doing exactly that, with murderous results.
The government knows that to catch a hacker, you need a hacker. And they've been watching Michael. If he accepts their challenge, Michael will need to go off the VirtNet grid, to the back alleys and corners of the system humans eyes have never seen -- and there's a possibility that the line between game and reality will be blurred forever.
"Wow," Dot murmured. The blurb seemed to call her to read the book. She bit her lip, deciding. After a moment, she tucked the book under her arm and began to search for another book, a competitor of this one, maybe.
Reducio
OOC Note: Anyone is welcome to rp. You can join in in anyway you like. Sneak up behind Dot and scare her. Ask for the book she's tucked away in her arm. Do a reading challenge with her. Swap least favorite books. Read together. Anything. The possibilities are endless.
Last edited by Dot Dutt on 6th September 2018, 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"When I die, I want free Wi-Fi fitted inside my tombstone, just so people will visit more often."

Avery entered the library in search of something to read. Normally, he wasn't much of a reader, but at the moment, he didn't have much else to do. He was bored of sewing and embroidery- he'd been making clothes for the elves for hours now -and his mind was completely void of inspiration to sketch.

Looking around, Avery's eyes landed on the Muggle Books shelf. It seemed to be the most endearing of choices. He'd never had any wizard books around his house, and he would really rather just stick to his comfort zone. Of course, none of the books here seemed very familiar to him regardless.

Avery looked to his left to see someone else at the shelves, looking at what seemed to be a sci-fi book. After much hesitation, Avery plucked up the courage to speak.

"Excuse me? Um, sorry, but I was wondering if you had any book recommendations for... Um... For me?" he asked, trailing off from a polite question to a nervous mumble. "I was trying to find something to read and I don't really know what to... Um... Yeah."

Avery bit his lip, looking down at the ground. So much for a good first impression.

"Excuse me?"
Dot was immersed in finding another good book which could finely compete with the one in her arms when a guy's voice made her tear her gaze from the rows of books and turn toward her right. She met the dark eyes of a pale boy (girl?) wearing Hufflepuff robes, looking nervous. Nice hair, she thought as her gaze went to the boy's orange hair.
Realizing that she was staring, she coughed an apology and tried not to blush too hard, although it was partly in vain. "Yes?"
"Um, sorry, but I was wondering if you had any book recommendations for... Um... For me?"
"Book recommendations?" Dot tried to hide her surprise. It was not everyday that a person walked up to her and ask for book recommendations. In fact, this was the first time anyone ever asked her for a recommendation in real life (not on the Internet back in the muggle world - she had created loads and loads of online quizzes to help people find their next great read, and, the comments being a proof, people like her recommendations, as well).
Seeing his nervousness, Dot offered a warm smile that reached deep in her dark eyes. "Of course I'll help! What kind of book are you looking for? A science fiction, mystery, thriller? Something else? You can even tell me a favorite book of yours, and maybe I'll tell you a book similar to it." She kept smiling, trying to stop making him nervous.

"When I die, I want free Wi-Fi fitted inside my tombstone, just so people will visit more often."

"Of course I'll help! What kind of book are you looking for? A science fiction, mystery, thriller? Something else? You can even tell me a favorite book of yours, and maybe I'll tell you a book similar to it."
Avery laughed awkwardly, shuffling backwards. He felt slightly overwhelmed, but spoke up anyway. “I don't really know. Usually I just read… Classics and stuff.”

It was true; the majority of his family's library consisted of his brother's muggle school requirement books, Shakespeare and the likes, as well as a few others, like The Lion the Witch and The Wardrobe and Bridge to Terabithia. Avery had read all of them, and had even read some of his favorites several more times. Even I he wasn't much of a reader, he certainly enjoyed sketching scenes from the books.

He looked at the girl in front of him, who was smiling warmly, and seemed excited. She was tall, Avery noticed, and rather skinny, with long, shiny black hair and coal colored eyes. A Gryffindor, judging by her apparel, though he couldn't tell what year.

"Anything is fine though, just something you like, maybe?" Avery mumbled, glancing around at all of the books. Although the library was large, it's muggle fiction section was rather small. It was obvious that most of the students here stuck to wizard books and classwork, much unlike the public libraries that he'd visited on his muggle school feild trips.

“I don't really know. Usually I just read… Classics and stuff.”
Dot bit her lip, disappointed. Which kid read classic books in the twenty-first century? Twenty-first century aside, it was the year 2018. Time for chick-lits, young adult, new genres. Classic? That seemed simply boring.
When Dot answered, her voice came out polite and nice, "Um, I'm sorry. I just don't read classics, except for when in Muggle school. There's only one favorite classic of mine, and that's Sherlock Holmes. That's it. But maybe I can help you in some other genre?"
She shifted from one foot to other, biting the inside of her cheek. She felt embarrassed a little, now that she thought about it. She had told the boy about recommending a book so confidently - it was one thing she didn't feel small doing. Books are her hiding place, her safe haven, and she thought that maybe she had enough knowledge about them to offer the boy a nice book, a book which would probably even become is next great read. But I failed to do so, she reminded herself a little bit glumly.
"Anything is fine though, just something you like, maybe?"
Dot's ears perked up at that, and soon she was grinning again, feeling relieved. "Sure, I'll help!" Dot said and chewed on her lower lip for a second, thinking. Then she said again, "So, maybe you'd like science-fiction? If so, I'd offer you Cinder. No, wait, I'd recommend Ready Player One, since it's more boyish - has a boy main character, too. Though if you want, I can recommend you a book in fantasy genre as well." She said, the words coming out of her mouth in a fast, rushing stream as she happily told him about what she knew. Glancing at the book tucked in her arm, she said, "I'm reading The Eye Of Minds. James Dashner is a trusted author, I like his work, so I was checking this one out. Is boyish and sci-fi, too, maybe you'll like it?" She wrapped her slender fingers around the spine of the book and offered it to him, stretching her hand forward in a way that was something between awkward and graceful. Awkraceful? Maybe.
Reducio
OOC: What would you like our characters to do next? They can conversate, or talk about studying, or read together, or something. Your opinion?

Liliafix had only gotten lost twice before finding the library. As she stepped into the library her jaw dropped. Shelves and shelves of books. She noticed two students chatting by the Muggle book section. A girl was chatting to a boy before handing him a book. Liliafix had always loved reading, and it looked like this girl did too. It would be nice to read some 'candy' books. That's what Liliafix's mother would call books read for enjoyment rather than learning. She smiled as she slipped by the two, browsing the bookshelves. She had always been a picky reader. Her smile had formed into a puzzled look. Liliafix had no idea which book to get. She didn't normally enjoy Sci-Fi, but she had loved The Lunar Chronicles. Oh, what to choose... She sheepishly glanced at the other two. She made up her mind and turned to face them. "Um... hello...d-do you guys like to read?" Liliafix cringed. They were in a library, of course they liked to read. A faint shade of red appeared on Liliafix's face.
"I-I mean, what do you like to read?" she stuttered. Just then, a thought struck Liliafix. What if these people were only checking out the books to learn more about Muggles? She must sound so strange asking them these stupid questions. Liliafix quickly tried to cover up her mistake. " I mean, to study them, of course."

Liliafax Timberly

Just as Dot stretched her hand to offer the boy the book, she noticed another girl entering the place from the corner of her eyes. For a while, the girl roamed the library and studied the shelves, but then turned to them with a sheepish look on her face, which looked rather cute on the Ravenclaw girl.
She asked or said something, to either Dot or the boy, but Dot didn't caught it. Judging by the girl's immediate cringe and slight blush afterwards, maybe it was a good thing.
"I-I mean, what do you like to read?"
Dot shrugged, smiling slightly. "I, for one, like fantasy and science fiction. The boy here is in classics. What about you?" She said, answering for the boy as well, since he appeared shy and might not want to get in the conversation, but she glanced at him to make sure he's not offended by her act.
"I mean, to study them, of course."
Dot's face fell slightly, and heat rushed to her cheeks. "Studying?" She repeated, as if she didn't understand. "Um, I don't study Muggle books. You see, I am from the Muggle world," She paused to see if the girl would be rude to her because of misunderstanding her blood status or call her a 'mudblood'.
Reducio
OOC -
I'm getting bored by our characters just chatting. Can we do something good, like playing a reading game (I have ideas) or something? Please put forward your opinions.

"So, maybe you'd like science-fiction? If so, I'd offer you Cinder. No, wait, I'd recommend Ready Player One, since it's more boyish - has a boy main character, too. Though if you want, I can recommend you a book in fantasy genre as well."
Avery, once again overwhelmed by the amount of information, simply nodded. “Um, okay…” He knew little about the books she was talking about, and she was talking too fast for him to even completely process the titles she was spouting. He bit his lip and pretended to understand.
"I'm reading The Eye Of Minds. James Dashner is a trusted author, I like his work, so I was checking this one out. Is boyish and sci-fi, too, maybe you'll like it?"
Again not completely sure how to respond, Avery took the book from her hands gingerly, studying both of its covers quickly before turning back to the girl, who’s name he still didn't know. “Okay… I guess I'll try it out then,” he mumbled, glancing around the library.

Avery then took notice of a blonde haired girl, who was currently approaching them with a sheepish expression on her face.
"Um... hello...d-do you guys like to read?"
Avery blinked, hesitating to answer her question.
"I-I mean, what do you like to read?"
He opened his mouth to respond, but stopped when the brown haired girl spoke up.
"I, for one, like fantasy and science fiction. The boy here is into classics. What about you?"
Avery nodded, agreeing with her statement and turning back to the second girl.
"I mean, to study them, of course."
The blonde girl seemed extremely nervous- a feeling he could certainly relate to. For some reason, it made him feel slightly less uncomfortable to think that he wasn't the only one who was so bad with strangers.
"Um, I don't study Muggle books. You see, I am from the Muggle world."
Avery bit his lip. "I really read muggle books more for fun, too. Or, because I'm bored,” he mumbled. He glanced between the two girls, a strand of orange hair falling in front of his face.

Reducio
OOC: Yeah, we can do something else if you want. But I'm thinking maybe introductions might also be in order. None of them know each other's names.

Dot kept nodding as the girl talked, after finally breaking her shield of introvertness. Usually, Dot wasn't much of an extrovert herself. She'd not talk to anyone much, minding her own business, unless she's in a crowd whom she knows. Then she'd chat so much, the others' ears' would bleed into nothingness. But about strangers, specially here at Hogwarts? Not so much luck.
But books were a totally different thing for her. Whenever she walked into a library, it was like someone injected her with a syringe of energy syrup. She'd start talking and fangirling and jumping and running and everything she's able to do. Books energized her. Made her feel powerful.
And that's why she was in the library, in the first place.
" I enjoy classics too, but certain science fiction books are really good. I just couldn't put Cinder down. I guess I just like books that you don't ever want to stop reading. I suppose adventure books, then. But I also love to learn, so occasionally I'll pick up a biography or encyclopedia. Oh- I'm Liliafix Tinderly. What are your names? "
Dot was about to open her mouth when the girl - Liliafix - started talking again.
"You guys can call me Lily, though. Liliafix is kinda long."
Dot nodded and stretched her hand to Liliafix for a handshake rather professionally. "Lily it is, then." Feeling the need to introduce herself as well, she added in, "I'm Dot Dutt, at your service." Dot inwardly cringed at her choice of words, but the arrow was out of the bow now.
"But wait," Dot quickly added in after the boy's introduction. "Lily - did you say you enjoyed Cinder? As in, The Lunar Chronicles? By Marissa Meyer?"
The Lunar Chronicles was her current read. She was halfway through the third book, Cress, and had completely fallen in love with it, head over heels. It was very, very beautifully written. The characters were simply so much alive, and the plot was unforgettable.

Reducio
OOC:
I'm glad both of you agree with changing the course. Done with introduction now (only you're left, Avery!), we could get our characters to sit at least. Then we'll decide more. If anyone has any idea, please speak up!
And Lily (shall I call you Liliafix OOC as well, or is Lily okay?) - have you really read Cinder? If yes, then have you read the whole series, or just the first book? For myself, I'm actually halfway through the third book, and it's gorgeous, trust me.
And Avery - you really like classics, or only your character? Only my character despises classics, but for the OOC me, I'm kinda into it. I haven't read some good classic novel in long, though, except for Sherlock Holmes, which I like maybe a little bit too much. Have you read Sherlock Holmes?

"My name's Avery," Avery said quietly, after they'd given their own itroductions. He bit his lip.

As the two girls began to discuss their books, The Lunar Chronicles, which Avery knew nothing of, he began to look through the book that had been suggested to him. It seemed interesting, he thought as he flipped through the pages, although it was a bit different than what he was used to.

Amidst the cool library air, Avery glanced back up at the Lily and Dot, absorbing Lily's bright blue eyes and braided blonde hair, a stark comparison to Dot's black eyes and brown hair. He turned away, pulling the book closer to him as his hair fell into his face.

The tall ceiling of the library hung far above the bookshelves, and Avery watched a stray paper airplane fly by at a sideways angle, propelled by magic. It landed in one of the shelves, where it would likely stay until some librarian or student decided to pick it up and throw it away. He hadn't noticed earlier, but the air in the room had a smell of paper, which wasn't a bad scent at all, but more of a gentle, simple scent that filled Avery with a strange nostalgia that he couldn't quite connect to anything in particular.

Reducio
OOC: So sorry, guys. I meant to post earlier, but school just started and I was having trouble filling in.

Cecily wandered into the Library without anything to do. She found herself in these situations a lot. And to Cecily, where was the perfect place to go when she didn't have anything to do? Yes, the Library. When Cecily was all caught up on studying, homework, and anything else she had planned for the day, she would go into the Library to pick up a new book to read. The Library was pretty much Cecily's favorite place in Hogwarts, besides a couple of places. Cecily loved everything about the Library. The books, the smell, the feeling, the look of the Library, and the magic.

When Cecily first came to Hogwarts and would find herself in these situations, she usually wouldn't go to the Library. Instead, she would find a quiet place to read (sometimes the Great Lake, her bed, or the common room) her favorite books, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and The Tales of Beedle the Bard. After a while, Cecily knew that while at Hogwarts she should read other books. This was partly because she got bored of them after a while. As a half-blood, Cecily enjoyed Muggle books but did not read them while at Hogwarts. She usually would read all the fantasy and fiction muggle books while at home in Manchester, England.

Today, however, Cecily wasn't really looking for any book in particular. Her plan was to just look through each shelf. She knew that she would find at least one book to read for the day.

About ten minutes had passed by, and Cecily had gone through a lot of shelves. She hadn't found any book that looked or sounded interesting. She looked around, hoping to see someone. Usually while at the Library, Cecily did not want people to be around her, but today she was looking for a book to read. She needed recommendations.

She had heard voices when she had started to search for a book to read but still had not found the people making the voices.

They were somewhere over here, Cecily thought, turning another corner. Wow, the Library sure was confusing. It was like a maze of books and books. Cecily went turning corners for five more minutes (sometimes going in circles) until she found them. Finally! The people who were talking together. They seemed to be all crowded next to each other discussing books.

This is perfect. I'll ask them for book recommendations, Cecily thought. She had no idea what section they were in or the kind of books they were discussing, but it was worth a shot. It had already been almost twenty-five minutes and Cecily still hadn't found a book.

Cecily approached them and cleared her throat. "Excuse me. Yes, hi. Sorry to bother you. Uh, I saw you all here. Are you guys discussing books? Well, I happened to be looking for a book. I've been looking for a while and I haven't found one. I don't know what section we're in, but do you guys have any good book recommendations? It can be in this section or any section, really." She ended with a polite smile.

Cecelia Dahlia Queen
Stats: Strength: 9 Agility: 9 
Control: 10
 Stamina: 7