Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

A million new things to peruse  Closed 

Library, Afternoon

Charlie had only settled into Hogwarts recently, barely inducted into his new classes, but ready to learn as much as he could. After finding out that magic was real- and more importantly that he himself could do it he wanted to figure every last bit of it out!
The very idea of travelling all the way to Scottland to attend a wizarding school made his stomach knot up just in the slightest from excitement, he didn't know a single person, save for the Professors he had been briefly introduced to, but he wanted to make friends, read books, and get things together.

He found that one of the first places he was drawn to once he finally settled down was the Library. Towering old shelves with books that were thrice his age or more lined the floor, his eyes going wide and neck craning trying to understand the sheer size of the room. He examined rows upon rows full of knowledge that just a few months ago- he didn't have the slightest idea existed.

After a moment of gawking, staring like his life depended on it, he finally chose a hall and began to trace his fingers delicately across the bindings of the books. The weathered print on the sides making it difficult to deciper- but he eventually stopped a random book and pulled it out.

"The long road to a sucsessful potion; Brewing tips and another bits for intermeadiate potioneers."

He opened from a random page and began to read- trying to make sense of the gaggle of words that were printed, making a very confused face. Fluxweed? Doxy eggs? Horned Slugs? Murtlap tentacles? He had no idea what going on, his face scrunched up from even trying to make sense of the pictures and diagrams.

Before he could strain his brain any longer, he heard a seemingly close noise, and his nose raised from the book to investigate.

I bid you adieu, until we meet again of course!
STA - 4 // AGL - 5 // SRT - 1 // CTL - 6 // ARC - 9 // ACC - 5

The library was a intimidating place, with all the knowledge of the Wizarding World locked inside, but at the same time it strangely shared the comforts of home. Xailah had been at Hogwarts for some time now, but she still detested being there.

Upon entering the library, something quickly caught her eye- no not a book, but a bit of strawberry-blonde hair belonging to a rather...strange boy. During her time at Hogwarts Xailah saw many strange students, but this boy in the library took the cake. His looks weren't the strange thing about him- to be frank it was his actions.

Xailah moved behind a book shelf, so he couldn't see her observing him. Upon further observation she began mimicking his facial expressions, in a attempt to grasp what they all meant- eventually coming to the conclusion that this boy was either stupid, or simply lacked knowledge of his surroundings.

She watched the boy pick up a book- she figured it was a potions book. Of course this assumption was based solely on a quick glimpse at the cover. Once again she started to mimic his facial expressions. This boy had never seen a potion book before. As soon as she came to this realization, she decided that she needed to leave, but upon exiting the bookshelf; the sleeve of the black and white Victorian shirt she was wearing, caught on a book. The book "Hogwarts: A History" clattered to the ground. Someone would be coming to see what that noise was, so she held her breath and just waited. Running was not a option.

Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe....
Stamina: 11 ~ Evasion: 8 ~ Strength: 2 ~ Wisdom: 8 ~ Arcane Power: 4 ~ Accuracy: 7

As he lowered the book, his eyes searching around for the root of the noise, his attention landed on a particular copy of "Hogwarts, a History" that rested now on the ground. When he approached it, he noticed it had fallen from a gap on the opposite shelf from where he was.
He gingerly grabbed the book, staring at the cover to imagine what could possibly be inside, thoughts racing at what amazing history he could soak up, and then he reached to put the brown, weathered book back in its place. Before he could, however, he caught a glimpse of the other side, a rather odd girl looking staring back at him from behind black frames.

He smiled, attempting to project any sort of friendly demeanour while trying to make out more of her features from a 2-inch-wide gap, but quickly looked away when he realised how bizarre it seemed. He set the potions book he was trying to decipher back on the shelf and turned the corner of the shelf, approaching the girl.

You can do it, Charlie! Make your first friend! He sought to encourage himself as he approached, still attempting to smile while taking in much more notable features. She was extremely different from any other person he had seen thus far! Pale, with beautiful dark brown hair and extremely striking eyes that reminded him of the Galleons, a wonderfully shiny gold. He was absolutely taken aback by how strikingly different she was, and it made him all the more interested to find out why.

"Hello!" He started quite awkwardly, "My name is Charlie Woodward," He paused again with baited breath and then quickly presented her with the book that had fallen through the shelf. "did you drop this by any chance?"

She should have just ran. But now it was too late, the investigator was the strawberry-blonde boy. The one person in the room who she was trying to avoid. He first discovered the book that she knocked down, then he discovered the culprit.

But what was he doing? He just stared at her; he was lucky he was out of arms reach, if he was just a bit closer Xailah would have lashed out and bopped him in the face. Of course she had no intention of actually hurting the boy, although a smack in the face would be a interesting first impression, and a lasting one. Good or bad, Xailah always seemed to make a lasting impression- She was never sure if that was a thing to be proud of.

She watched as the boy made his way closer to the bookshelf, turned the corner- eventually face to face with her. Xailah quickly glanced of her shoulder, looking for a possible exit, she didn't want to have to push pass the boy in case something bizarre happened- which wasn't likely but hey, you never know.
"Hello!"
The boy didn't seem so bad. She instinctively glanced back at the boy due to the sound of his voice- her golden eyes immediately locking with his beautiful green ones.
"My name is Charlie Woodward,"
His name brought a thin smile to Xailahs face, "Lovely name, I'm Xailah Alptraum." she said as she revealed a row of sharp pearly-whites. The boy- whom she now knew as "Charlie" suddenly brought forth the book that she knocked over. She almost forgot about it.
"did you drop this by any chance?"
Should she lie to him?- No, it was better to just tell him as it was, but that would mean she would have to explain that she had been watching him. She was unsure how he was going to take that bit of information. "Um...No. I did not drop that book. I did knock it down by accident. Great read though! In fact you might make better use of it than me. I mean I saw the way you were looking about this place- and I think its safe to assume that you're lost? Maybe?" She narrowed her eyes at Charlie, thinking that there was probably a better way to rephrase what she had said, she felt it might have come off a bit rude in a way.

Before me, you rightly tremble. But, fear is not what you owe me. You owe me awe....
Stamina: 11 ~ Evasion: 8 ~ Strength: 2 ~ Wisdom: 8 ~ Arcane Power: 4 ~ Accuracy: 7

Xailah Alptraum... What an interesting name! He couldn't help his excitement... His first coincidental meeting since arriving! Not only had he never seen someone so interestingly odd, but for her to possess such a wonderful name too? He wanted to be her friend, of course!
He was so caught up in the silly daydreaming that when he mentioned the book, he almost barely missed her response-
"Um...No. I did not drop that book. I did knock it down by accident. Great read though! In fact you might make better use of it than me. I mean I saw the way you were looking about this place- and I think its safe to assume that you're lost? Maybe?"
He was a little confused as to why she'd assume him lost, but he retracted the book, then set it back on the shelf where it belonged. "I'm not lost, this is the library is it not?" As he said that, he realised then that she had probably seen him tracing the halls with all sorts of faces, confused as a muggle, and he gave a light sigh.
"A room filled to the brim with the knowledge that I'd never even known before- I'm sure I looked absolutely stupid while I was looking around!" He laughed, giving a wide smile as he tried to picture how ridiculous he might've looked to Xailah, who seemed so clearly 'in-the-know' on magical things, or at least moreso than himself, of course.

"Only a couple weeks before arriving here, I didn't even know I was a wizard, much less that any of this-" He gestured to the space around them, pointing towards books and magical candles and everything else of that sort. "-could have even existed!" He was passionate as he spoke, thrilled to be speaking to someone about all of it- everything he had to learn and see.

After a brief pause, he looked back from the books to her, still smiling. "I wonder though, beyond this stuff... How 'lost' did I look for you to have been following me, Miss Xailah?" He asked. He couldn't exactly see himself, nor what he looked like when he was gawking.

"I'm not lost, this is the library is it not?"
Maybe this boy wasn't as stupid as he made himself out to be. Yes, this was the library, he was right about that, but the "lost" that Xailah was referring to, was not being unable to find one's way, or not knowing one's whereabouts. The library was a place of knowledge, and when she had addressed Charlie as "Lost" she mean that he was unsure what he should do with the knowledge that was practically at his fingertips. Perhaps, lost wasn't the right word.

She beat that to the back of her mind though, for now her reasoning behind him being lost didn't matter. Charlie then spoke with great passion, about how he knew nothing about the new world he was now in- did that mean he was from the muggle world? A spark of curiosity lit up Xailahs eyes. She had never had the chance to go to the Muggle World, but it had always fascinated her. "Wait, wait, so you're from where the non-magic folks are?! I think we could maybe help each other out- you know, like I'll exchange information on what I know about magic, and in return you can tell me about the non-magic world!" A big grin spread across her face, she would never turn down a chance like this, if it meant learning something new.
"I wonder though, beyond this stuff... How 'lost' did I look for you to have been following me, Miss Xailah?"
As soon as he said this, Xailah made a dash to where he set the potions book down. She grabbed it and then went back to where she previously was. "Good thing I'm decent charades-" she flipped the book open to a random spot and once again mimicked his strange facial expressions "And I wasn't following you, I was just watching you- Its amazing how much you can learn by just watching how people act." She closed the book after her performance and slid it onto a random spot on the bookshelf. "Its okay to lack knowledge of something, but to express it is a entirely different animal- it can open a door to vulnerability if you're not careful-" She took a quick glance around, as if she was making sure no one was listening on the conversation "And to be frank, there are some people at Hogwarts who are going to use that to their advantage." Xailah hoped Charlie would make use of these words, and be more careful when expressing his emotions. She would hate to have to come to his rescue if something bad were to happen to him.

Wait, wait, so you're from where the non-magic folks are?! I think we could maybe help each other out- you know, like I'll exchange information on what I know about magic, and in return, you can tell me about the non-magic world!"
As soon as he had spoken so passionately, the girl responded with equally interested words. She wanted to learn about the muggle world? How exciting! It would be interesting to exchange information with another student.

"A very compelling point! I wouldn't mind telling you all about what I know about the muggle world, though I'm sure it won't be nearly as interesting as the magical world!" He laughed.

When he asked about how lost he had seemed, she seemed very driven to show him, finding the potions book he had set down, getting into position.
"Good thing I'm decent charades-"
She said, opening the book, flipping to a random page. Her facial expressions were hilariously ridiculous, and she was totally over-exaggerating, though he definitely got the point.
"And I wasn't following you, I was just watching you- Its amazing how much you can learn by just watching how people act."
She interjected, still holding the book, closing it as she finished up, setting it back down. Charlie would admit with how he was probably acting, It wasn't a surprise that it caught her attention, but he waited for her to speak again.
"Its okay to lack knowledge of something, but to express it is an entirely different animal- it can open a door to vulnerability if you're not careful-"
She paused- looking around as if a 3rd party was watching. When she felt the coast was clear, she continued to speak.
"And to be frank, there are some people at Hogwarts who are going to use that to their advantage."
Charlie didn't really want to believe that- that there could possibly be people around who'd want to seriously take advantage of his naivety. With all the magical knowledge they could put their minds to- they'd rather engage in that? He noted what she said, but with a gain of salt.

"I have faith in my peers, they have much better things to do than pick on an idiot like me. Anyways-" He scanned the area for a moment- finding an empty table with chairs tucked under it nestled in the corner of the aisle they were in. "I'll answer your questions, if you'll answer mine!" He smiled, gesturing to the table before sitting down, hoping she'd follow.

"You ask, I'll answer. Go ahead and shoot, Miss Xailah. He crossed his arms, giving her a wide smile.

She was pleased to find that he wanted to exchange some information with her. Sure there were a lot of young wizards her age that were from muggle families, but most of them seemed uninterested in explaining muggle ways of life.
"I have faith in my peers, they have much better things to do than pick on an idiot like me. Anyways-"
She looked down shaking her head, at least she had warned him. She had nothing to say on him claiming to be a idiot, and whether she thought he was one or not, was undetermined. Xailah raised her head to look at him once again, he looked like he was in search for something.
"I'll answer your questions, if you'll answer mine!"
Charlie made his way to a nearby table. "Fair enough." she said as she followed Charlie. For a second she was hesitant about following him to the table, but figured it was to late to turn the boy down. She sat down and neatly folded her hands on the tables smooth surface.
"You ask, I'll answer. Go ahead and shoot, Miss Xailah."
"Alright, I want to know the use of Hairspray. What good is it? Does it grow more hair when applied? Say if I wanted a moustache, could I apply to my face and grow one?!" There were so many objects that the muggle world had, that the wizarding world did not. Hairspray being one of them. "Can hairspray be consumed, and If I were to consume it could it cause any trouble, like internal bleeding?" In her mind this Hairspray thing was truly interesting.

Hairspray? He laughed just a bit as she began to ask a number of questions about the fantastical product of the muggle world. Noting that she seemed quite excited to know the uses of it.
"Hairspray isn't for eating, no."
He started, in between his little chuckle. "You usually don't put stuff like that in your mouth- though I think the most it'll do is make you a bit ill." He thought about it for a second. "I do believe you could die if you put too much in your mouth though!"

He smirked, watching the girl for a second. "It's used to make your hair stay a certain shape, y'know? A lot of people style their hair and make it all pretty looking- then they'll spray it down with the hairspray to make it stay like that for the rest of the day." He made a motion like he was spaying his hair down with an invisible can, making a 'ksss' sound to emulate the idea of what the use of hairspray looked like.
He looked down still smiling at how funny it seemed to him. "See in the muggle world- they don't have charms to fix your hair indefinitely. The idea of a spray that could instantly grow more hair is quite impossible, for the non-magic folk at least."

He shrugged, placing his hands down on the table, tracing the lines of the wood. He didn't expect such an interesting person, nor such an interesting outcome to arrive with his first visit to the library, but he was most definitely excited for the outcome of the exchange. "It's my time to ask now-" He said, trying to place which subject he wanted to be answered."Tell me, Xailah, what on Earth in a pensieve?! I've heard the name a few times in a number of books, but its use alludes me!"

She listened carefully to what he had to say about hairspray, it seemed much more practical to use hairspray than Sleekeazy's Hair Potion. "Well that's utterly brilliant! With Sleekeazy's you have to apply it throughout the day- and after awhile its just too much trouble to use everyday." It was a shame that Hairspray wasn't invented in the wizarding world.

When Charlie did his invisible Hairspray demonstration, Xailah laughed. She was truly happy. It was now his turn to ask her a question. She rested her chin in her hands, and listened intently.
"Tell me, Xailah, what on Earth in a pensieve?! I've heard the name a few times in a number of books, but its use alludes me!"
She didn't expect a question like that, fortunately the question wasn't something obscure, so this was going to be a easy thing to explain. "Well for starters, a pensieve looks a bit like a birdbath- " she felt that bit of information was kind of unnecessary, but she brushed the thought off. "Its not a birdbath though! Pensieves are actually used to view memories- like it lets you sort of relive them in a way. I'm pretty sure we have one at Hogwarts, that is unless it was taken out." She thought about this for a moment, it would be silly to take out such a valuable object.

"Though if that pensieve is still here, I would think that it might be in the headmasters room. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get in there, so I'm unable to prove that statement." She then shrugged and leaned back in her chair. " I don't see why anyone would want to relive their memories anyway, I personally would just want to remember mine- to relive them would just be unnecessary."She began drumming her fingers on the table, almost in a irritated manner when saying this, but it soon came to an end when she asked him something else. "Hey Charlie, have you seen a Hippogriff yet?!"

Reliving memories? How strange! But, he supposed it made sense to him, given the context of the book he had read that had introduced the name to him. After she explained it use, she leaned back in her seat with a shrug.
" I don't see why anyone would want to relive their memories anyway, I personally would just want to remember mine- to relive them would just be unnecessary."
As she said this, she seemed to fall into irritation, tapping her fingers down on the table impatiently. She tried to stop before opening her mouth again to speak.
"Hey Charlie, have you seen a Hippogriff yet?!"
She seemed far less irritated, and Charlie returned a smile.

He leaned forward. "Pardon me, but a hippogriff? He placed his hands firmly on the table, eyes sparkling with surprise and wonder. "There are real hippgriffs? They aren't just fantasy book creatures?!" His smile got even wider as he tried to imagine what they might be like. Were they just like in the fiction books he read as a child? Or were they completely different?

"Are they really half bird-half horse? Or are they utterly different from the children's books regale?" He probably had that same child-like demeanour from before which would probably make him look laughable, to say the least, but she seemed like she was having fun too.

When charlie leaned forward, it caught Xailah off guard a little bit, causing her to lean back further in her seat. It was a quick but small motion triggered by instinct.
"There are real hippogriffs? They aren't just fantasy book creatures?!"
She raised a eyebrow at this. Fantasy book creatures? Did he mean a Monster Book of Monsters? Or did the muggles have their own encyclopedia for magical creatures? "Hippogriffs are very real- I'm kind of surprised you haven't seen one yet, usually thats the first creature people want to see when they get here-" In truth Xailah had wanted to see a Basilisk or a Thestral when she first got at Hogwarts, but something made her a bit embarrassed to admit that. Maybe she was afraid that admitting that would scare her new acquaintance away.
"Are they really half bird-half horse? Or are they utterly different from the children's books regale?
"You'll have to see for yourself- if you want I can take you down to the Hippogriff stables sometime- of course you would have to be comfortable with breaking a few rules, since students technically aren't supposed to be messing with the Hippogriffs." She came to the realization that she had broken more than her share of rules since she had gotten to Hogwarts. The thought made her slouch a little in her seat. Maybe the invitation was a bad idea, what if the boy went and told on her? She would be spending the rest of her life writing sappy letters to her parents and members of the staff.

He noted that his excitement might've been a little to sudden for her as she leaned back a bit when he was excited, he sat back down properly feeling a bit bad about it, but still was far too impressed with the magical world to mope. Xailah told him more about hippogriffs, and he could only imagine the slew of creatures that the magical world had to offer. He was going to have to pick up a book on them at some point...
"You'll have to see for yourself- if you want I can take you down to the Hippogriff stables sometime- of course you would have to be comfortable with breaking a few rules, since students technically aren't supposed to be messing with the Hippogriffs."
She seemed to automatically regret saying that, sinking a bit in her seat. She suddenly looked as if she had said the wrong thing.
"Why would I mind breaking a few rules?" He laughed, trying to ease the tension. "I see it as a fun outing! All we have to do is not get caught messing with them right?" He leaned back, rather than forward, and shrugged a bit. "I've always seen rulebreaking as a fun way of saying 'secret adventure! Plus I'll be learning about stuff so I'm sure the teachers would be lenient if we were caught... But I doubt we'll even be seen!" He was definitely confident after years of sneaking around in the forest at his home, but he realised he was getting ahead of himself. "I-I mean if we did go to see them, not saying I've already decided, but like-" His prior confidence melted quickly, and he felt a tad bit embarrassed.

She was relived to find that he had no problem with rule breaking. Xailah noticed a slight change in Charlies confident stature. "Well, you can find me near Care of Magical Creatures, tomorrow evening- so I suppose I'll either see you there to, or I wont." she leaned forward once again, placing her chin on her hands. "Charlie are you alright?" She narrowed her eyes at the boy, did she say something that made him uncomfortable? She tried to think about everything she had said previously, but she couldn't think of anything that could be potentially upsetting.

Eventually she gave up, figuring that it probably wasn't important. "If it makes you feel any better I know we wouldn't get caught- the headmaster and the professors are too busy to be monitoring two students. And its not like the prefects do anything around here anyway." She said as she pushed on the edge of the table making her chair teeter.

Xailah then took out a worn timepiece out of her pocket and slid it across the table to Charlie. "I found that a few nights ago, near the entrance of the forbidden forest. I think its muggle made, since it doesn't seem to tick. Do you know why most muggle objects don't work here? Do you think the pocket-watch can be fixed?" This was one of the few questions that she had never been able to solve or answer unfortunately.

He gave a smile, thinking about the potential fun they could have sneaking out to look at amazingly magical creatures- she was right, they wouldn't care about 2 students sneaking out to see a few animals. When she leaned forward, asking if he was alright, he just forced a laugh, feeling awkward. He was terrible with social interaction it seemed. "I'm fine, just a bit..." He fell off into another small chuckle, avoiding eye contact. "Don't worry about it!"

As he said that, she shifted in her seat, fishing a watch from her pocket. She slid it over to him. He could recognise the brand, it was an older piece; rusted a bit.
"I found that a few nights ago, near the entrance of the forbidden forest. I think its muggle made, since it doesn't seem to tick. Do you know why most muggle objects don't work here? Do you think the pocket-watch can be fixed?"
He picked it up gingerly, examining the face. None of the exteriors was broken at all. He turned the watch over, searching for a clasp or an opening. When he ran his nail into the indentions of the backing, the metallic plate popped off.

"Well Hogwarts isn't affecting it- at least, I don't think it is." He had repaired his father's watch before, and his own clock a number of times. It was obvious what had happened with this watch-- A number of the spinning gears had popped out of place. It was pretty common if you dropped it while walking, or if it had taken a tumble itself.
He poked at the wheels, spinning them until they snapped into place. It took a moment, but the watch began to tick quietly. It wasn't set to the proper time- but Hogwarts didn't seem to affect it.
"It's old, but all mechanical watches are the same." He set it down, thinking more about her question as he watched it tick. "Electronics, as I understand from my own phone when I first came here, go weird once they enter Hogwarts. I read that there's a special barrier around the school to protect it from Muggles and stuff like that. I'm pretty sure anything that requires a connection to the internet is going to get all screwy in here. Not only that- but the magic probably messes with it's processors and the like." He began to ramble about possible theories based on the very little he had read on the train ride to the school, using a lot of technical terms that he realised Xailah might not recognise.
"Anyways- Since it's a mechanical watch it shouldn't be affected by the magic around here. I can probably get it to tell the right time if I had something small to turn the gears with." He felt quite proud being able to provide some sort of information- even if it was just his own theories.
Last edited by Charlie Woodward on 16th July 2018, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Back