Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

Transformation  PV Eri Windstone   Closed 

There were few things Green truly loved in this world.

He had little interest in sports, and only a passing interest in games. He thirsted for wealth and knowledge, but in recesses of his stretched-thin, aching chest, he knew that these were only a means to an end. Even restoring glory to his name was only a substitute for something greater.

In his heart of hearts, Green wanted only one thing: to change.

And there was a course of study for that.

The boy stalked through the library like a cat hunting crickets, all slender limbs and sharp green eyes. He snatched up a biography here, a how-to there, a third on theory; here was a section in an obscure encyclopedia, and here, a newspaper article, captured on magical microfiche.

His tiny frame shook under the weight of his findings once he at last returned to his favorite corner alcove by one of the tall gothic windows, a dusty corner shadowed from all sides and lit only by the blue light of coming evening. Splaying out his findings across cushion and table and floor, he turned pages, slid volumes from here to there, eyes darting from word to word and sentence to sentence, vivid and alight. Across these pages, wings beat and claws flashed; across these pages, things deep in hearts stalked. They told the story of ribs that formed a cage, and the things within. A story of primal power. Animagus.

Green wanted this. Green needed this. His fingers shook as took out parchment and quill, scribbling notes about methodology found here and found there.

Damn waiting for third year. He wanted to know now.
Last edited by Rhea Bishop on 31st May 2018, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Touch me, Midas; make me part of your design."
Encyclopedia Entry (and further history.)
Strength: 1; Agility: 12; Control: 10; Stamina: 7

Eri walked to the library. She had nothing she needed to do for classes at that moment so she went to the library to read. Her favorite subject was transfiguration. Like always the brunette picked out a few first year volumes of transfiguration books. She really wanted to be an animagus, but sadly she had to wait for her third year. Her Aunt is an animagus. That is one of the reasons Eri wants to be one. The other reason is because it is difficult and she wants to prove she can overcome that difficulty.

Eri saw the boy in a corner with a bunch of transfiguration books and scourges about animagus. She loved the subject. The brunette walked over to green. "Hi, I see that you like animagus. Do you want to be one too?" Eri asked him. Well that was obvious. He probably wanted to be an animagus. The Ravenclaw did a mental facepalm for asking an obvious question. Though she hoped he would answer her and not ignore her. Cause it would be nice to have a friend interested in becoming an animagus like herself. It was an interesting topic for her and she liked to research it.

{Dreams stay dreams until you make them reality.'}Eri Windstone. STR:10 AGI:7 CNT:5 STM:4

Reducio
Sorry for the delay! I just learned that making a topic does not make you automatically subscribed to it. Hope you didn't worry...

At the sound of her voice, the small-framed boy jumped, spindly arms snatching out over the books as if afraid they would be whipped away from him; however, upon seeing it was only another student, he let out a breath, straightening in relief.

"Ah, you startled me," he breathed, looking her over. The girl was no taller than he was; Green's gaze swept over her in a sharp flicker, curiosity and wariness mixing with the slow dethawing of acceptance. "People don't generally come so far back here. Just ruins and runespoors, here," he looked up among the stacks, eyes wandering.

"I am, though. Interested," he said, looking back at her, eyes focusing. "I hadn't realized there would be other students thinking about it at this age. It's such an unpleasant process becoming one, after all," he said, blinking at her with increasing fascination. He shoved a few books away, leaned forward the better to look at her. "What lead you to want to become one? Terribly dangerous process, you know. I was just reading about the twisted ones," he grinned, morbid pleasure dancing in his eyes. "Those unfortunate few trapped between one form and another. A terrible fate," he purred.

Eri looked at him. "Sorry to startle you. I'm Eri Windstone." She said as she listened to him talk. "I just like to explore the entire library. It's all interesting." She said smiling. He was probably a bit taller than she was and he seemed very interested in what he was reading. 

She wiped her hair out of her face as she looked around the library. She loved the library filled with all of its books. There were so many books she could read and learn from. So many different types of books and subjects she could read about.

"It is a very intresting topic. I do plan to succeed. And not all of them end in failure. Also my Aunt is an animagus." She said to him. He was kind of scaring her. Why was he reading about the failures? Probably to figure out how not to fail. But how he said it with pleasure worried her. "Yes it is terrible how they get stuck between forms. Maybe they didn't heed all the warnings that they were given. It could have been prevented we'll some of them could have." She said listening to him. There were unfortunate people who got stuck between forms.

{Dreams stay dreams until you make them reality.'}Eri Windstone. STR:10 AGI:7 CNT:5 STM:4

Green waved a hand, shaking his head. "No worries; I startle easily," he admitted with a liquid shrug. 'A pleasure to meet you, Miss Windstone. I'm Rainier Green," he inclined his head to her.

He nodded at Eri's assertion that she planned to succeed, smile growing. "I'm glad to hear you do; wouldn't want a new myth roaming around in the pipes," he teased. "But to be serious," he said, sobering, "It is good to see someone else who's honestly interested despite the fact that you clearly understand the risks. I think a lot of people run off once they do. And who can blame them? Even if you do everything right, you need to keep a poisonous leaf in your mouth for a month," he laughed quietly, grin quirking.

"And after all that, you may just end up as a goldfish or something. It's an enormous gamble," he said, eyes shining at the prospect. "Can you do it? Will you survive the process? Will it even be worth it? That's what I'm trying to find out today, all the things that could happen from the attempt," he gestured at the books. If one looked closer, one was a book of poetry, and not from the Hogwarts library at all; it was open to a page titled "The Eagle and the Mole," by Elinore Wylie.

"I'm curious about you and your aunt," Green said outright, head tilting as he studied the girl. "More you, naturally. But it sounds like she's an inspiration. How did you both make the decision to become one?"

Eri listened to him as he spoke. He knew the risks too. "Some people don't like the idea of having to do something that has a lot of risks and is hard." She said looking at him. He seemed very interested in this whole subject, but what she can see is that he enjoys reading about the twisted fails of those who tried to be animagi. 

"My Aunt wanted to prove to her family that she was good enough for them so she decided to become an animagus. I want to become an animagus just to prove that I can do it. It's rough, but I know the risks and I don't mind the idea that there are dangerous risks." Eri smiled at him. Why was he so interested in her? Maybe he just wanted to figure out if he wanted to try to become an animagus or not? Anyways she wouldn't mind answering any questions he had about her and her Aunt. As long as the questions weren't very personal. She would probably ask him some questions later, but right now he was asking her questions so she would answer those questions he had for her to answer about her.

The boy looked at her closely, curiosity swimming behind his eyes like a dark shape in shadowed waters. He had the look of a sharp, small thing, a snake that had been uncovered beneath a rock and was now eyeing her with scrutiny. "So you know the risks, but choose them anyway. Interesting," he said, reaching over to one book, taking the ribbon at its spine to mark the page, and closing it. "But is it really that you choose to do this despite the risks," he asked, reaching over to close another, "Or is it that you chose this because of the risk?" he asked, taking another book, flipping it closed. Then he took another, and another, staring at her as he spoke.

"Transfiguration is more than a tool. It sounds as if you and your aunt knew this. It's alchemy, the process of turning lead into gold - not just the literal metals, but the stuff of life, the stuff of ourselves. When we challenge ourselves, we purify ourselves. Challenge is the fire that burns away the parts of ourselves that are less than all we could be," he breathed, every book around him closed now, his attention solely on her.

Eri looked at him as he talked to her. Of course she was doing this for the risks. She wants to prove she can handle the risks. "No I'm not doing it for the risks. That's just crazy." She lied to him. She didn't want him to think she was crazy. She watched him close all of the books he has been reading.

"Yes me and my Aunt know that. It is a very helpful tool. That is why I am doing this. To purify myself with challenges." She said to him. He was very smart. How did he know what she thought about transfiguration? 

Eri looked at him. "Why are you interested in becoming an animagus? And are you going to do it or are the risks to much for you?" She knew he probably would do it. The risks probably weren't to much for him to handle. They weren't to much for her to handle at least she thinks they aren't. But it's to early to know. She can't try until her third year which is dissapointing. Though she is to young and doesn't know much and isn't ready to try to become an animagus at the moment.

He tilted his head as he listened to her, blinking slowly, taking in her answers with a calm, analytical gaze. After thinking for a moment, he hummed, putting his elbow on his knee and holding his chin in his hand as he considered her. "You say you aren't doing this for the risks," he began, "But are those transformative challenges you're looking for really so distinct from those risks? A challenge isn't a challenge unless there's a good chance of failure, I believe, and chance and risk are nearly synonyms. But maybe I've got the wrong perspective on it," he gestured to her, sitting up to regard her with interest. "Maybe challenge is something else entirely; something to do with difficulty, or with the amount of strength necessary to complete it, regardless of whether something terrible could come from the failure to rise to that difficulty. What do you think? Is a riskless challenge as much of a challenge as a risky one?"

He tapped on his chin as he considered her question, eyes turning to the window; squinting into the light like a mole, he held his gaze there for several long moments as he spoke. "Much like yourself, the challenge is part of it for me. But I'd say it's a very specific challenge, something I was drawn to because of the nature of the result," he nodded, perhaps only discovering this for himself as he was speaking. "I'm terrified of the idea that I may end up as cockroach, or a leech, or an ant, or some other loathsome or insignificant creature. ... Can you imagine that? The loneliness of being a single ant without a colony?" he asked suddenly, glancing at her furtively, unable to meet her gaze for long before looking away again.

He sighed, pressed his forehead against the cool, dusty windowpane.

"But the fact is that I need to know. I need to be able to face what I am deep down, the part of me that I don't choose and can't change. Because that is my base material, the 'lead' I am starting with," he sighed, stretching an arm, massaging his elbow. "And you need to know the lead you're working with if you want any chance of making gold from it." He sighed, looked back at her with something sad and distant in his eyes. "So one way or another, I believe I'm going to try. I feel as if I have to."

Reducio
((Apologies for the frickin' essay; it's an important subject to him, but I want to be mindful of your time. I could try to keep my answers closer to 200 words, if you prefer that style.))

Ugh why was he so smart? "Okay I lied. I didn't want you to think I'm crazy. I'm doing it for the risk just because it's a challenge." SHE said to him. "No I think a risky challenge is different than a risk less challenge. Since the first has a risk and the second does not isn't it harder to do? Wouldn't your mind try to convince you to not do it if the risks are great? That I don't know, but that is my answer to your question." She said looking at him with a small smile on her face.

The brunette watched him look out te window. Her eyes followed and looked outside a small well. The school grounds always amazed her. They were the most beautiful site in the world to her. She always loved the outdoors since she was a child.

Eri pulled her gaze from the window and looked at him again. She nodded and listened as he spoke. She did need to know what that lead was deep down in her. But she wasn't sure what that would be. She wasn't worried. She wouldn't mind being some kind of cat. She thinks that is what she will be.

Green raised an eyebrow at her confession, lips threatening to smile. "Oh, don't be ashamed of being a little crazy. People who aren't a little crazy have no hope of adapting to their circumstances," he huffed, looking around the library. "It is, after all, a crazy world. And survival of the fittest means survival of the most suited, not necessarily the strongest - so crazy should be a good fit." He grinned at her at last, eyes winking.

Green nodded, eyes serious, turning over what she had said in his mind. "I think that under normal circumstances, your view is the correct one," he granted. "But like we were just talking about, people are crazy." He shrugged at her, turning a palm open. "People gamble all the time. I don't know if gambling on the flip of a coin becomes more of a challenge if the stakes go up. You're still just guessing a side. And I'd say we're guessing our forms, too," he tilted his head, stretching.

He regarded her quietly for a moment, eyes narrowing. She may have had the sense of being scanned up and down, as if by peering closely enough he could see straight through her. Or it might just look like the sunlight hit his eyes at an awkward angle.

"You seem pretty confident, for all it is risky. What do you think you might turn out to be, if you succeed?"

Eri shifted awkwardly as he studyied her. It felt strange to be studied. Like someone was trying to figure out how everything worked just by looking at you. "A cat. Hopefully a maine coon, but I think I will be some sort of cat." She said as she stared at the ground avoiding his gaze. She didn't like the feeling of being studied. Now she knew what others must think when she does it to them. It's just weird, but nonetheless it's a part of life so she should just get over it.

"I'm not quite sure if I'm crazy or not. I think I'm normal. Though I don't quite like the idea of if I get stuck in between forms it might be excruciating pain. Though if I got stuck I would rather die than be stuck in between to forms forever. That would just be awful. I don't have any idea how those who became stuck feel. It must be awful though." She said. The thought was gruesome. Getting stuck between human and some other form and never being able to change back. That would be the most awful thing in the world to happen to any person.

Green smiled at that, nodding softly, looking away at last. "Yes, I could see a cat. Interesting choice, maine coon. They're big, and quite friendly," he murmured fondly, remembering the ragged things that wound around trashcans in the alleyways of london, the straightforward looks they gave him. They seemed a great deal friendlier than people, most of the time. Perhaps they were used to being fed - or perhaps they just recognized that he wasn't competition for what they were after. Maybe, if he were a cat, they would have been.

He tilted his head as she confessed to hear fear of getting stuck, humming quietly. "Are you sure? There are, after all, people who are born in disfigured shapes, in constant pain. Or who become so later in life, through some disease. Many still lead lives they considered worth living," he reflected, though the tone of his voice was more curiosity than conviction. A grin flickered briefly across his face, though it was not a happy one - something darker, like a laugh, or a grimace. "I imagine it wouldn't be easy for your loved ones, either," he said, unsmiling. "Having to make the decision as to what to do. Or to... act on your wishes." He was watching her again now.

She was relieved that he looked away and she looked back up. So he could see it too? She always had a way with cats. They always seemed to like her and understand what she said. Though if they did she didn't know. She had two cats. One was named gold and the other silver because of the color of their fur. They always seemed to like her and follow her around. If something threatened Eri they seemed willing to protect her and injure whatever sought to hurt her. She missed them. She wished she could have brought them but they probably would have wanted to follow her to classes.

"I know. I'm not saying that they don't live good lives, but what if you got stuck between a human and an animal? That would be weird." She noticed him grin it looked like a laugh or was it a grimace? She had no clue but she hoped he didn't enjoy those possibilities. "No it probably wouldn't be easy, but if it was a livable condition I wouldn't want to die. So I really don't know." She shifted again looking back down. He was looking at her again. Like a scientist studying its experiment.

Green shrugged. "Of course it would be weird. But it happens. Haven't you noticed how some wizards have unusual features, like long ears or noses, or golden eyes that you'd never normally see on a human? Not all have non-human ancestry. Some got stuck after switching, or attempted to become animagi and failed," he shook his head. "And yes, it looks strange, but is it, really? They just tried to do what we want to and failed. If everybody succeeded, it likely wouldn't be considered difficult at all, just... arduous," he huffed, shrugging. "Goodness, Hufflepuff would be full of them. Imagine all the fluffy little bunnies and beavers and dogs, or whatever cute, hard-working animal you like."

He began stacking up books, letting out a breath. "But that's all a few years ahead of us, isn't it?" he murmured. If it ever was an experiment, it would appear that that portion of it was over. "Little to be done for it now, other than study, and get the basics down. What's your favorite subject?" he asked, looking at her with a less intense gaze now. It was difficult to tell what might have prompted the change, but the edge seemed to have dropped off of him for now.

Back