Library

Register
Sign in

An Empty Notebook and a Ready Pen  Abandoned 

Mia looked around the room, bored. She had finished her Potions homework-finally-but her next class started in 45 minutes, so she had time to spare, but not enough time to actually do anything. She thought about going down to the Small Hall, which was sure to be filled with first years, or back to her common room, where her roomates most probably were. She decided to stay here and locate someone to talk to. Maybe Ashlyn is here. She always seems to be here. She tought. She twirled her pen and then stuck it in her mouth, bored. Then she caught sight of Ami, a Hufflepuff she had met once before. Mia walked over, bringing her notebooks.

"Ami! Hey!"

Mia pulled back the chair next to the Hufflepuff and sat down, happy to locate a person that she knew fairly well. Mia smiled.

"What have you got there?"

Mia pointed at the girls notebook.

"Mind if I take a look?"

Mia pulled the notebook closer to her and read the single sentance that filled the first page.

Your life is more than mashed potatoes. It’s a whole Thanksgiving feast.

Mia laughed and smiled at Ami.

"What are you going to fill this notebook with?"

"Chocolate omnia constituit"
//Co-Founder of Gobstones Club//Writer//

Faye had finally managed o find a room, Although it wasn't the ravenclaw house it was the library. The least she could do is make some friends since she'd probably need a tutor or something once she started classes. She wandered up and down the aisles glancing at all of the genres, her black robe beeing a size too big drags along the ground. She sighs and mutters a levitation spell hoping she could do it without a teacher "Wingardium Leviosa!" Her wand lights up then stops the cloth not moving an inch. "Ugh! Why can't I get this stupid spell to work!" She yells but quiets down right after remembering that she's in the library. She looks around and notices two girls that looks like they might be second years but could be first years. She walks over cautiously and listens to what their saying

"What are you going to fill this note book with? Faye over hears one of the girls talking. Curious Faye gets close enough to introduce herself.
"Uhm, Hi I'm Faye (pronounced Fay-uh) I was trying to find the RavenClaw house but I found the library instead. I cant help but wonder is that a journal for a class or for your rooms newspaper? She directs her question to the girl with the Hufflepuff robe on considering the girl holding the notebook asked about it too.

-Faye, A student at Hogwart's wizarding school.

"Ami! Hey!" Ami looked up, and smiled as Mia walked over, plopping down with all her textbooks and notebooks, Ami's notebook jumping a little bit (Newton's Third Law of Motion, Ami thought idly; kinetic energy transferring from the slamming of the books to the table to the notebook). "Hi, Mia," Ami said softly, tucking her wild mane behind her ears.

"What have you got there? Mind if I take a look?" Mia pulled the notebook towards her, and laughed a tinkly laugh at the somewhat ridiculous words on the first page. "What are you going to fill your notebook with?"

Another girl came over, introducing herself as Faye (Gorgeous name, Ami noted). Ami laughed slightly, blushing when Faye brought up Hufflepost. "I haven't been assigned a column yet, I'm still fairly new," Ami quickly explained.

Ami had perked up at Mia's question, and said excitedly, "Stories. I'm going- er, planning to fill it with stories. Other people's, of course- I'm no writer, and my life is both boring and depressing. I want to fill it with other people's stories- humbling, inspiring, humorous, informative, anything goes, really. It can be exaggerated, real, personal, or even completely fake! I just want people to feel like they're heard- y'know, people don't really feel that anymore, that if the talk, no one's going to listen. So I'm going to prove them wrong. Mia, d'you want to be the first person?" Ami turned the page, readying her pencil. She would write in shorthand and then translate it all later; hey, it could make a pretty good column, as well!

esse quam videri
STA: 2 | AGI: 4 | STR: 7 | CTL: 6 | ArcP: 4 | ACC: 7

Faye giggles "Yea i'm pretty new too. I haven't even gotten my classes yet! She listens to Ami talk about her plans with the journal. She's pretty sure that Ami will be a great columnist with that idea. "Ya know Ami, I bet that when you get your column not only will those stories be a great idea, I think you have so much more stored up there that you haven't figured out your next favorite one." Faye smiles and glances around the area The dark wood gleaming from the dim light. The tall shelves reaching the ceiling. It just so happens that a book that has Hufflepuff written down the side catches Faye's eye. The book being on one of the higher shelves she decides to try the levitation spell again to reach it. Wingardium Leviosa. she mutters pointing her wand at the book focusing solely on sliding it out of its spot and down to the table in front of her. She opens the book and looks at the inscription inside Hufflepuff writings and stories To Faye this book would be great to read in her free time but she decided that Ami might be interested in it more than her since it is her house's book after all. "Hey Ami, I think this book might be for you." Faye slides the book over to Ami before saying her goodbye. "It was nice to meet you two, but I must get going. I still have yet to find my house. I'll see ya'll around school bye! She giggles and skips off leaving the library and finally heading toward the west tower where she will find her house.

-Faye, A student at Hogwart's wizarding school.

"Stories. I'm going- er, planning to fill it with stories. Other people's, of course- I'm no writer, and my life is both boring and depressing. I want to fill it with other people's stories- humbling, inspiring, humorous, informative, anything goes, really. It can be exaggerated, real, personal, or even completely fake! I just want people to feel like they're heard- y'know, people don't really feel that anymore, that if the talk, no one's going to listen. So I'm going to prove them wrong. Mia, d'you want to be the first person?"

Ami smiled at Mia.

"I'd love to be the first, though my life is similar."

Mia returned the exited attitude, and thought about what she should say as Faye kept talking to Ami. Faye finally finished, and Mia snapped out of her trance-like state.

"It was nice to meet you two, but I must get going. I still have yet to find my house. I'll see ya'll around school bye!"

Faye skipped away and Mia smiled after her, ready to start sharing her story.

"Bye Faye!"

She sat down next to Ami and pushed her hair behind her ear.

"Can I tell you about the time I met a dragon in the forest when I was 8? I don't really have any other interesting stories, at least ones about me..."

She trailed off, unsure.

Ami's eyes widened. "A dragon! That would make an amazing first story." Ami twirled her pencil and creased the notebook open to the second page, 100% ready to hear a story about a dragon. A dragon! An adorable eight-year-old Mia! A mysterious forest! How much better could a story get? Maybe if there was a picnic, with chocolate cake involved, it might, but otherwise, there wasn't much that would surpass this story. In minuscule handwriting, Ami wrote Mia Alexander in the top-right corner of the page, pleased that her print was still fairly acceptable and legible.

"Alright, you can start talking whenever you're ready," Ami said encouragingly, readying her pencil. "Don't worry about talking too fast," Ami added, as an afterthought, tapping the end of her pencil against her chin. "I write mostly in shorthand, and I took loads of stenographing lessons when I was younger, so I'll be okay. Just don't start talking like Eminem, or anything that fast. I might be fluent in shorthand, but I'm not that fast. I might ask you repeat some things, though, or to elaborate, so don't feel cut-off if I suddenly interrupt your story. Alright, you can begin whenever you're ready. Take your time, and don't rush." Ami smiled at Mia, her pencil hovering millimeters above the paper.

esse quam videri

"Alright, you can start talking whenever you're ready, don't worry about talking too fast, I write mostly in shorthand, and I took loads of stenographing lessons when I was younger, so I'll be okay. Just don't start talking like Eminem, or anything that fast. I might be fluent in shorthand, but I'm not that fast. I might ask you repeat some things, though, or to elaborate, so don't feel cut-off if I suddenly interrupt your story. Alright, you can begin whenever you're ready. Take your time, and don't rush."

Ami smiled at Mia and she laughed.

"My mom is from Hungary, and there they have loads of dragons. I had never met one, even though my Grandfather tames them, and-and"

Mia stuttered a bit and then fell silent.

"First person. That's how I'm going to tell you the story."

Mia picked a spot to look at and opened her mouth, ready to speak.

"Wind rushed through my hair in the dark Hungarian forest. The land around me flew past, and the galloping sound beneath me was all I could hear. I rode on my horses back in freedom, speeding past thickets and tiny streams, only stopping to readjust myself on Dorottya. Leaves peppered my hair, and shadows filled the forest and I pushed her to go farther. We finally dived into an abandoned meadow, lighted only by the pale moonlight..."

Mia stopped to check if Ami was still listening. She was.

"In the meadow a small stream trickled through. My bare toes no longer stung from the harsh steel and leather of the rungs. I climbed down and led her to drink from the small haven's water. I, too drank, calming my beating heart. My hair no longer was flung behind me, and the words that she had said no longer stung. I was free. I knelt down on my knees and listened. The animals squeaked and rustled, partially iluminated by the moon. I lept up and walked over to Dorottya, sensing that I was not alone. The leaves rustled again and I gripped onto her harness, afraid for my life. Suddenly the bushes parted and a mystical creature clothed in moonlighed only walked out. The shadows behind it seemed exaggerated, as if someone left them there as an afterthought and a two year old found them and colored them in. The spikes on its head shone and it ambled over to me. I backed up, unsure of what I should do. I was petrified. Then, as soon as it came, it left, bringing with it the sense of mystery it gave me."

Mia looked over at Ami.

"That's really it!"

She sighed and looked up.

"Sorry if that bored you. I hope it's good enough to get a column."

Ami listened in amazement, soaking in Mia's story. When she came to a stopping point, Ami looked up in awe, her pencil freezing in mid-air. "Woah. That- that's so cool, Mia. A dragon!" She wrote in tiny letters at the bottom, End, and smiled, setting her pencil down. "I'll see what I can do about making this as anonymous as possible if I ever want to turn it into a column. Protecting privacies and so forth, I suppose. I'm saddled with the food column this month, however, so I still need to write that article first. But thank you so much, Mia! That was an amazing first story. I was honored to be able to record it."

"It wasn't boring at all," Ami added, shutting her notebook. Twirling her pencil (which she had picked back up) in her hand, she continued on, "That was breathtakingly beautiful. Hey, by the way..." Ami hesitated, then barreled on. "If I do turn it into a column someday, is it okay if I kind of rewrite it a little bit? Maybe paraphrase the details a little bit, fill in some background details on dragons? I just want your permission, as you are the original author."

esse quam videri

"I just want your permission, as you are the original author."

While Ami talked she twirled her pencil. Mia pulled at a strand of hair on her head.

"Yeah sure. I mean the whole story is a bit long, and I only saw the dragon for a moment so...."

Mia held her breath and then continued talking.

"If you want a bit of background information, I can tell it to you now. I saw-I learned this later-a Hungarian Horntail."

Mia looked into her purse, and pulled out a moving photograph.

"Here's an image of one, they are usually green, yellow, and black, but the one I saw was a bit red, though it was hard to see it properly, because of the limited light. Oh! And also, I can tell you a bit about them."

Here I go! Mia thought, running a hand through her hair.

"They are native to Hungary. They usually have black scales, and are lizard-like in appearance. It also has yellow eyes, with vertical pupils like a cat's, bronze horns and similarly coloured spikes that protrude from its long tail which it will gladly deploy in combat. The dragon's roar is a yowling, screeching scream, and its flame can reach to about fifty feet. While having a very far reaching flame the Horntail's breath can also reach extremely high temperatures, as it made a stone turn red hot in seconds. Its eggs are cement-coloured and particularly hard-shelled. The Horntail's foods of choice include cattle, sheep, goats, and whenever possible, humans. I'm lucky it didn't eat me!"

I got this information from this website: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Hungarian_Horntail

Mia shifted a bit.

"Does that help?"

Ami's eyes widened as Mia started spouting off facts on the Hungarian Horntail. Picking up her pencil and quickly reopening her notebook, she wrote all of these details down, now more determined than ever to do Mia's story some justice. Hungarian Horntails- native to Hungary, black scales (lizard-like), yellow eyes w/ cat pupils, bronze horns + spikes. Etcetera, etcetera. You get the general picture. "Wow, Mia," Ami breathed, once Mia was done. "Yeah, that definitely helps! You definitely know a lot about dragons- you must like them a lot."

Reviewing the notes she'd written, Ami decided to ask a few follow-up questions, as any good reporter would do. "Did you see a full-grown Hungarian Horntail, or did you think it was a younger one? Where in Hungary were you, at the time? A general city or area would be helpful. What breed was your horse, Dorottya, was her name?" Ami paused, realizing that Mia needed the chance to answer her rapid-fire questions. "Sorry, this is all just so interesting. I've never met anyone who has seen a dragon before- at least, that I know of."

Imagine that! A real live dragon. Ami still couldn't fully wrap her mind around the concept, but she'd catch on eventually.
Reducio

So, after whatever you post next, you can either have Mia exit the thread and move on as she already finished telling her story, or she can stay and talk with Ami. Your choice, I don't care which one you pick.

esse quam videri

Mia smiled at Ami's inquisitive nature.

"Well, you never heard of magic before you came here, right? Most pure-bloods, or even half-bloods, have seen dragons, its like..."-Mia pondered for a moment-"In the Muggle world riding a pony. Somthing like that anyway."

Mia shifted in her seat and suddenly remembered Ami's questions.

"Oh! I saw an almost fully grown male, who aren't isn't as vicious as the females."-Mia played with her hair, trying to remember the next few details-"I was around Esztergom, a town near Slovakia. I wasn't in the city though....and Dorottya was"-Mia lowered her eyes, sad for a moment-"a Gidran. Very powerful and taller than me!"

Mia laughed, remembering Dorottya.

"She was chestnut, or gesztenye, in Hungarian. My nagymama, or grandmother, always said that she was the color of Gesztenyepüré, a Hungarian sweet, but she was brighter than that. Silkier too."

Mia glanced at her watch.

"Merlins pants! Its 2:58! I'm supposed to meet Scott in the small hall at 3:00!"

Mia started shoving her belongings in her purse, remembering to take her notebook for her next class, which started in 15 minutes. Hopefully her time with Scott would be brief.

"Bye! Anything, owl me!"

Mia ran out and down the steps, hoping Ami would have a great column.

Ami jotted down the rest of the details Mia had provided her, stumbling over some of the Hungarian words, but using phonetics to help her out. If she had any more questions about spelling, she could ask Mia later. "Bye, Mia!" Ami called after the retreating girl, bidding her a farewell as she left to go meet... who was Scott? Well, she'd find out later, if Mia was willing to indulge her in details.
Mia Alexander has officially left the thread. (OOC: If you want to add this to your post, feel free to)
Leaning back in her chair, Ami scanned the library for any other familiar faces. Spotting no one at the moment, she tore out a sheet of spare notebook paper, writing, Got stories? Sit down with me! on the page. Propping it up against her water bottle, she faced it away from her so others could read it. Hopefully, the sign would help attract more people, if others had the time to sit down and talk to her. Sometimes, Ami realized, maybe people just need an ear willing to listen to their stories, vents, or rants. Who knows who else will come along? And who knew indeed? What kinds of stories would they bring? Well, actually, who knew if anyone else would come at all?

esse quam videri