Library

Register
Sign in

Friendship In The Library  PV Phedra Stavrou   fin. 

Wesley entered the Hogwarts Library, heading straight for the Potion books. He was in need for a few books to help him study for his upcoming Potions class - which would occur next Thursday. The new concoctions were kind of uncanny; the ingredients that were to be used were rather rare and were incredibly strong. He pulled into the first row of shelves all about Potions and scanned the titles, which were a bit difficult to understand seeing as they were all typed horizontally but were placed vertically. Wes sighed and pulled out a few books, not minding whether or not they'd be useful: the books were just for research, after all, and they could be easily returned.

Wes moved down a row and picked out a few more books; he was just about to show the librarian the books so he could leave but then a flash caught his eye. He turned his head, the light brown curls mopped onto his head waving around in the light breeze of movement. A green leather book with beautiful golden lettering seemed to stand out from the rest; it seemed to be titled with something in a foreign, unknown language that he did not recognise. He reached out for it, and looked at the title on the front - not even from this view he could identify the strange wording. Wes looked up at the space he had pulled out the strange book from and, between the other two, dull books, there was a girl. He needed to work up the courage to talk - especially to a girl. "Eh-Excuse me? Um... do you recognise this language?" Wes managed to awkwardly choke out
Last edited by Wes Hart on 3rd May 2018, 10:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

professional bird dad

Thread private between Wes and Phedra

Phedra was already in the library scanning a row of books, the tip of her finger smoothing across their dusty spines as she muttered their titles under her breath. She wasn't searching for anything in particular, just something to read for enjoyment during any free time. Fiction wasn't really her preference, so day after day the Ravenclaw found herself in this same section - non-fiction.

Phedra realized this shelf held many books that she had either seen and ignored or previously read before; she was close to turning back to look elsewhere, until a bright green book with strange, gold lettering on the sides caught her eye. The cover was captivating and shimmering. It practically called out to her. Oh how she loved shiny objects.

Standing up taller on her toes, she stretched herself upwards to take the pretty thing, until it was snatched away from her reach at the last minute. Her excited expression faltered, and she dropped down to the soles of her feet, heavily disappointed. Frowning, she leaned towards the shelf, her dark eyes peering between the space previously occupied by the strange book, only to see a boy she had never met before.

Through the small space, Phedra saw that his hair was dark, curly, and very pretty for boy's hair, she noted, and from the glimmer of red on his uniform, he was a Gryffindor to boot. No, no, no. She was not going to have that book taken by a Gryffindor boy who would probably just lose it. She was taken out of her thoughts when he addressed her.

"Eh-Excuse me? Um... do you recognise this language?"

She raised an eyebrow at him, backed away from the shelf and turned, the soft click of her shoes signaling her departure. There were a few seconds of awkward silence, Wes standing there with his questioned unanswered, until Phedra popped back up a few feet away, making her way around to his side of the shelf to face him. His awkwardness went unnoticed, Phedra too concerned with getting that book back.

"Let me see that," Phedra began, taking the book from his hands. Her eyes narrowed at the words and markings stitched into the green leather. Tossing the book over repeatedly in her hands, she finally gave up, "I... I'm not sure. Maybe it's runes? Looks like it," she finished, looking back up at Wes to stare at him.

"Regardless, are you absolutely sure you're going to read this?" her eyes quickly glanced down to his tie, "Listen, I'll just take it instead. I saw it first, after all. I can figure out the text, and you can have it after I'm done, I promise. How about that?" She flashed him her sweetest smile and it disappeared as quickly as it came, as she began to turn away to leave with the book in hand.

Reducio
Ah, sorry, but this is a private thread Wes and I plotted out in owls! :sweatingbullets: Is there anyway to alter the title? They forgot to put that it is indeed private.

Phaedra Stavrou
STA: 8, STR: 2, AGL: 10, CTL: 15

Reducio
Oops, sorry... I don't believe there's a way for anyone other than him to change it, so... I'll make sure to delete my post now... Sorry!
Also--I can't seem to delete my post? I dunno if it's cause I'm doing something wrong, or some other reason.. I've changed my post so it just has a period, until I figure out how to delete it. 

the trouble is, if you don't risk anything -- you risk more.
♕ℛ ♕
Strength: 9; Ability: 8; Control: 8; Stamina: 10

Reducio
sorry, guys. i have now made it clear that this post it a private thread. dang it, now i feel stupid lmao

professional bird dad

Wes looked the girl in the eyes (something he didn't often do). "Uh - well. I didn't intend to read it, actually. It just - how do you say - caught my eye," he said, not minding whether or not she would keep it for herself. Always tell your name first in a conversation, Wesley popped up at the front of Wes's head; it was a bit of advice his father had told him many times (not that he'd use it - he was terribly antisocial).

"My name is Wesley H-Hart," Wesley said, forgetting completely to hold out his hand to give the girl a handshake. He hadn't really noticed anything about the girls - other than her brown hair (that he found quite pretty, but not in a 'I fancy you' way - just a 'I like your hair' way) and deep, dark eyes. He himself had brown eyes but they were quite bright and were mixed with dabs of green and dark yellows. Wes's eyes drifted down from the girls face and down to her robes; a blue and silver tie was wrapped around her neck, under her collar. He didn't think to say any more because he saw the girl giving him a light glare when he had first asked his question and also when she came around from her row of books.

professional bird dad

Reducio
No worries, guys!

Phedra immediately stopped in her tracks, and she shut her eyes tightly, letting out an slightly exasperated sigh. So much for trying to be tough - it didn't feel very good when it was at the expense of socially awkward students like the boy talking to her. Maybe she should be nice, just this once.

"I'm sorry," she said, turning back around to the Gryffindor, avoiding his gaze. "That wasn't very nice of me."

She took a couple of steps forward, looking down to the boy's outstretched hand. He didn't seem too much of a threat, so Phedra gave in and took his hand in hers. "Charmed, Wes Hart. I'm Phedra Stavrou." She gave him a polite shake of the hand, and pulled it away afterward to go back to poking at the green book. She cleared her throat.

"Yeah. It caught my eye too. Pretty, isn't it? What do you think it contains?" Phedra opened up the book to a random page, the same strange language covering the paper. She slid to his side and leaned over so he too could see its contents. "I've never seen anything like it. Maybe it holds secrets about the castle?

...But now that I think about it, that would just be wishful thinking," she went, staring longingly at the text. "The librarian would never be so careless to leave such a thing out on the shelves if that were the case; which means, it's worthless to me." The green book was suddenly slammed closed and she placed it back into Wes' hands.

"Nevermind. I don't want it anymore. I don't even think I'd be able to decipher the runes if I tried, anyway."

Phaedra Stavrou

Wes's eyes fell apologetic. "May-Maybe we could go to a professor?" he suggested awkwardly. Even though the Phedra girl seemed nice, it wouldn't keep him from being timid. A conversation of any type with anyone would be able to make him feel seriously anxious, but one with a girl made him internally freak out. "The - uh - professor for Ancient Runes may be able to help us out. But there could be the - uh - possibility we could get in trouble for having it...

my idea probably isn't the best, is it?"

Wes looked over at the book and peeled it open to the first page. The pages were parchment and sparkling black text were printed on it. The same language that was in gold on the front was the language the black text had been written in. "My brother is interested in ancient languages and studies them harshly. Maybe we could... take it to him?" he asked with a soft shrug. "He's in Ravenclaw; there's a chance you... that you might know him." Wes looked up and peeked around to see if anyone was around. This row of shelves was nearby the Restricted Section and many students seemed to be fearful of it so the students that were indeed in the Library were closer to the entrance.

professional bird dad

She listened to his suggestion of taking it to a professor, and almost shook her head in agreement until he brought up the possibility of getting in trouble. Phedra wasn't looking to be known around school as some sort of trouble-maker, nor was she looking forward to any detention or writing lines from practically turning herself in. She brought her hand to her chin and tapped it gently with a finger, deep in thought. "That's a good point actually," she said, "And I don't even know the Ancient Rune professor yet. That would be quite a horrible first impression, presenting a professor with some forbidden book."

As Wes opened the book once more, she peered onto the black, sparkling text. It seemed to radiate an ominous energy, and the letters pulsated and changed position around the pages. One page started off fully covered in the symbols, only for some of them to disappear and morph into a few lines a few seconds later, now almost like a riddle or short poem. A few moments later those symbols vanished as well, leaving the page completely blank. "Your brother? I'm afraid you're the only Hart I've met. But maybe I've seen him around," she stated indifferently, more concerned over the now blank parchment.

She looked to Wes, lowering her voice to a whisper. "Let's take it to him. But one thing - how are we getting out of here with this book? We aren't just going to show the librarian, are we?" Her brows furrowed.

None of it made sense to her; why the symbols faded and jumped and shrank around the pages, and was it even a restricted book to begin with? They were awfully close to the section. Did an older student with access to the roped-off area grab it, only to have second thoughts about the choice and put it back on a random shelf? Was it some evil plant to trick curious students? Maybe she was overthinking it, and the book wasn't very dangerous after all. But it sure looked like it to her. Nevertheless, she couldn't help but want to know more about it.

She took the book from Wes and flipped it over to its spine. "No author, no title. How od- wait," Phedra inhaled sharply. The green book was now fading away from its original bright green, to a translucent color. It continued to fade and Phedra could now see her hands through the leather, fingertips flat from the weight of the book. The book was still there, but now completely see-through.

"That's it!" she said excitedly, jumping a little. "It must be over invisibility, right? Maybe it teaches invisibility spells and charms, or explains hidden passageways here in the school. Or... maybe it teaches something much worse, and it becoming invisible is just a way to keep its contents, whatever they are, even more secret..." She cleared her throat, just realizing what a chatterbox she had been.

"I'm convinced. Let's go see your brother."

Phaedra Stavrou

Wes smiled at Phedra. He peered at the librarian in her seat, flipping through files and documents. Other students sat at desks and tables with their friends - or alone - with a sort of book with them. He looked back at Phedra, slowly feeling more comfortable and less off a timid cat; he usually described himself as a timid cat, but now - in this situation - he could call himself a less-timid cat. ’Ian is usually in the Ravenclaw Common Room he tells me, or in the Great Hall,’ Wes explained quietly, his curls bouncing as his head moved around. He looked down at the invisible book in Phedra’s hands.

He nodded for a reason Phedra was not to worry about. ’It may take a while for Ian to figure everything out but we can trust him. He’ll help us.’ Wes peered out at the other beings in the room; leaning back into the row, he turned to Phedra. ”Make sure to not seem suspicious; as if you’ve just stolen some cookies from the cookie jar back at home and you don’t want to be caught. Follow my actions and don’t become distracted,” Wes ordered politely.

Wes stepped onto a creaky floorboard, causing many eyes to dart to him. His breath immediately became trapped in his throat as a burning sensation seemed to drill holes into his back. Once the awful feeling had left, Wes turned around, quickly mouthing to Phedra ‘Now’. He carefully stepped over the squealing floorboard and began to confidently pass the students to the entrance, not daring to glance behind him to check anything.

Out in the corridors, Wes drew out his once again timid breath and looked over for at Phedra, who had followed behind him presumably.

professional bird dad

"It may take a while for Ian to figure everything out but we can trust him. He’ll help us."

As Wes explained where his brother was most likely to be found - either in the Ravenclaw common room or the Great Hall - she listened intently, and then spoke, "We should try the Great Hall first. It's closer."

”Make sure to not seem suspicious; as if you’ve just stolen some cookies from the cookie jar back at home and you don’t want to be caught. Follow my actions and don’t become distracted,”

Don't seem suspicious, act cool. Phedra nodded, giving a smile. He didn't need to tell her all of this. Sneaking around and lying was something she was accustomed to. As Wes left her, she walked over to a table where she kept her belongings, the invisible book hanging awkwardly under her armpit. The book was quickly shoved into her bag along with the rest of them, and she then buttoned the bag and threw it over her shoulder.

She walked out past the study tables and the librarian's desk, and out of the library, totally collected and stone-faced the entire time. Once she and Wes were clear from any listening ears, she pulled him to the side and spoke softly; "Let's go."

Reducio
Sorry it's so late! :sweatingbullets: & Phedra has exited the thread. We can continue elsewhere if you'd like.

Phaedra Stavrou

Reducio
Sure. Where do you think? The Great Hall or maybe the corridors?

professional bird dad