Library

Register
Sign in

A Day At A Time   PV Anatole Evans   Closed 

Mariah sat in the corner of the library on her bottom , legs folded and head bent over an open notebook. She looked far away, dreamy, as if her imagination were taking her places far from this little corner. Her hair was piled in a hastily made bun atop her head, curls escaping to brush against the nape of her neck and tip of her nose. Her hazel eyes moved quickly back and forth over the page, her hand matching the speed easily. Before her, a picture was forming. Her dad. Her memory was excellent and she recalled the details of his fair complexion with ease.

She missed him, missed home. Life at Hogwarts was stressful- making friends, doing homework, finding your classes in the first place. It was overwhelming, too much, but Mariah didn't want to tell anyone that, didn't want to complain. Her father loved Hogwarts and her brothers were having the time of their lives. Who was she to ruin their fun and her father's hopes for her with one sentence?

I want to go home.

She had always prided herself in her determination and at this moment it was failing her. Creating the line of her father's strong nose, Mariah found her eyes going misty, the view of his strong face blurring. 

Angrily, she wiped at her face. Babies cried. Weaklings cried. Not Mariah. She would rather eat her whole sketch book than let anyone see her cry

Owl me with your ideas and I'll rp with you! 'Cause it's my favorite thing ever.

The library was hushed. Everyone spoke in hushed tones, books covered with dust were set aside, and in all this, Anatole was a mix of emotions. Flustered, mostly. He had just gotten out of a conversation with some girls, discussing a heated scandal, and that distracted him from his major focus: finding the book club book. The even worse thing is that the girls never told him where the section was, so he was stuck, searching blankly, hoping he found the right set of gold letters on a binding, flashing out against the blandness of the bookshelves.

He hummed a tune to himself, the one that had been stuck in his head lately: Feeling Good. Anatole would have been more than happy to blame Marissa for getting it back into him. Hopefully, Anatole would be feeling good if the library distracted his mind enough.

In the distance, he heard mutters from afar, feminine, definitely. Oddly familiar. His deep eyes turned toward the sound, following through the corridors of shelves until he found the girl.

Oh. It was her? "Mariah, isn't it?" Here, Anatole was conflicted. He had met her as his other self, so should he keep that on, even though there was no one else watching?

Dang it, he thought, just approaching her and letting whatever happened...happen. It would work out eventually, it had to.

Play it cool. He leaned against the bookshelf, looking at her drawing. Anatole remained partially envious on how she gave the picture to Kaegen for no particular reason. "Pretty nice, who is it?"

How I'd die to catch the freedom of falling...
New Link, Who Dis?
STA:14 AGI:7 STR:4 CTRL:5

Mariah's head jerked up from her her pad when a boy spoke. Oh! It was him.... Anatole, she recalled. The last time they had spoken, he had been with two other boys huddled in the empty trophy room. Mariah noted the way he played casual against the book shelf, or maybe was completely casual and she was reading into a little too much. She laid her pencil down and shifted to look up at him more comfortably.

"Yeah, Mariah," she confirmed, trying to keep her face as smooth as possible. It had always been something she absolutely failed at. Her mother said she was a readable as an open book, but since coming to Hogwarts, Mariah had been attempting to control it on a regular basis. After all, practice made perfect.

Antole inquired about Mariah's sketch and she ducked her head, blushing slightly.

"It's my dad," she shrugged, running a finger over the nose she just defined. " I like drawing people." She tacked on as an afterthought. She flipped the pad toward him and turned the pages, faces flashing with each turn. Her mom, her brothers (one by one), various other faces from random students she creeped on a little, and a few landscapes.

Owl me with your ideas and I'll rp with you! 'Cause it's my favorite thing ever.

Leaning back onto the bookshelves, Anatole's eyes wandered toward the natural light erupting from the soft window. He smirked at the sunlight, almost like it was a best friend he hadn't seen often. Maybe even a 'What's up, nature? I see you there!'

The girl's voice below him confirmed her name, and Anatole's pride boosted a little. He had gotten it right off the dot! Impressive! The Gryffindor adjusted his scarf, peering down at her drawing while silently pumping a celebratory fist.

Her lines were delicate and dainty, yet strong and bold at the same time. They had definition; they knew their purpose. One was the man's jawline, another a shapely shoulder. It was clearly legible that it was a male, but who? It did remind him a little bit of a student he had seen wandering the halls...

Now that Anatole pondered upon it, he noticed that it wasn't that student. The ears were much smaller and he had wider eyes. Maybe his brain had just wished something of substance was there to latch onto.

"It's my dad," she commented. Ergh, one for two. Got the name, but not the face. Another blow on Anatole's Pride-O-Meter.

He tried not to mind it, slumping down the bookshelves to her level, watching her draw. "Know what? You're really good at drawing those people, then. I couldn't draw to save my life," he laughed, blowing a raspberry. He thought he couldn't connect with this girl if he threw his whole soul into it. "What else do you like to do?"

How I'd die to catch the freedom of falling...
New Link, Who Dis?
STA:14 AGI:7 STR:4 CTRL:5

Anatole flashed a smile, fidgeted, and settled beside her amongst the dusty shelves. She readjusted so he could get a better look at her pad and started running her hands over the lines.

"It's just a bunch of shapes," she said. "Then you shade where the face is darker, like around the nose and lips." She pointed each of these details out and then stopped. She was sure he didn't want a play by play on how to draw a face. He went on to ask her about her other interests and she smiled sheepishly.

"I read." Mostly romance, but he didn't need to know that. In fact, only her mother knew and smit was her that caused the addiction in the first place. "And I watch birds. I like to draw them. There's a lot of detail when you draw a bird, but you have to do it fast because they don't stay in one place long. It's challenging." She stopped again, embarrassed.

"And Quidditch. I'm trying out for keeper."

Mariah felt her stomach twist with nerves. She had almost forgotten about tryouts. It was a whole fiasco in her home. All three of her brothers had made their teams in the past so if she came home with zilch, it would be devastating.

"What about you, Ladies Boy?" She teased, offering a friendly smile. "When you're not being crushed on by almost ever girl in Hogwarts, what do you like to do?"