Study Room

Register
Sign in

teddy picker  Closed 

open to any who want to join!
"Would you joost-- git off me damn shoulders-?!" Gem hissed silently, a bit ironic that he was the one hissing when he had a stupid, fat, ugly cat perched comfortably on his shoulders. A nuisance and an abomination, he swore to God.

It wasn't like he wasn't used to making a scene in a quiet area, it was the fact he'd been losing a whole lot of sleep lately - it was difficult to force a smile that didn't look nasty at anyone who looked, like a miserable to try and make the situation at hand humorous. He'd worked on his posture forever, and this tub of lard was making him look like an idiot - he was so sure that he would look like the hunchback of Notre Dame by the time he left the room.

But even as he attempted to swat his cat off his shoulders, Basil remained snuggled up against his mess of hair, purring about as loud as the Colchester earthquake. He gave up after that, there seemed to be no point in getting that stupid 14-pound of lubber off his shoulders, so he hunched over and continued to write, his hand making ugly scribbles of handwriting on his paper, his fingers uncomfortably covered in a mix of paste and ink.

Since his adventure of recording music in Wales, he had taken plenty of pictures on an analog polaroid camera, and was now pasting them into his little journal of happenings. He generally hated the work, but having fun by recording music had given him such a heavy depression in doing anything that wasn't frustrating that he felt it necessary to do stuff he hated - like a masochist. (He had learned that word thanks to his father, who called the band's bassist, Corg, that because of the incident in which he wanted to record multiple bass parts on his own, even if they sounded perfect - because 'they could be even more perfect'.)

So here he was, angrily pasting pictures of his hellish trip.
It was like a fist replaced the kiss, he missed Wales, he hated it here. But he hated it there, and he hated Sheffield - oh, but he longed to be there. No, he didn't, but he'd be anywhere but here. He'd be in Wales, if it meant skipping school... except he'd rather be here than record the same guitar riff, solo, backing plucking, or power chords back in the most depressing area he could think of off the top of his head.

Or, maybe, he just hated pasting things into notebooks for memories he'd remember anyway.

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.

teddy picker  Closed 

»»————-  @Gem Stuart  ————-««
Returning to Hogwarts had been a much welcomed trip... towards the end of winter break Lark's family had begun to get on her nerves. It wasn't so much the lavish celebrations or constant visiting of family, most of which she had never met before now... but rather... the doting of her new baby brother. Some sort of vicious jealous beast had suffocated her the last couple of days before leaving again for Hogwarts. She had even snapped at her parents countless times on their trip to the Platform. Oh well... Lark was in a mood for sure, although any anger melting away as she stalked the hallways of the castle.

Lark had retreated to the girl's priv, practicing more of her newfound abilities.. shifting eye color and hair color, more pink in her cheeks... small things. She had begun to realize most of the changes happened without her even noticing, mainly sparked by whatever mood she was in. At home her mother had been after her about recently seeming 'dull'... now she understood. Staring at her pale, freckled face in the dusty mirror, Lark grimaced as the silvery color melted from her head and was replaced with a dark auburn color. She did feel sort of... blah. Lark's hand burrowed into the sleeve of her sweater and wiped hard at her eyes as hot tears leaked from them. Dull.. 'Thanks mam..

Getting bored of silently judging herself in the mirror, she had decided it best to start working ahead on her Potions schoolwork. Book in hand, journal tucked in-between it and her hip, Lark stopped mid step as she heard a familiar voice.

"Gem?" Lark called out as she looked around. She hadn't given him a proper goodbye before break but thankfully the Order had caught up to exchange gifts. Looking around her eyes settled on Gem, his cat nestled on him. Ignoring the broody tension that lay in a thick mess around her friend, Lark poked at the boy. "Hey!" She grinned and peered down at the mess before him. "What are ya workin' on?" It looked like he was pasting...pictures? "These from the trip ya took?"

Last edited by Lark Flaer on 10th January 2020, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stam: 4 - Ev: 6 - Str: 3 - Wis: 5 - AP: 7 - Acc: 5
In friendships we are searching for a soulmate, someone who shares every facet of their passions and imagination.

teddy picker  Closed 

@Lark Flaer
Startled, Gem's head snapped up in the direction of the voice that had called after him, meeting face-to-face with none other than Lark, changing the grumpiness of his expression into one of softness, exchanging the brooding frown with a smile.

"Lark!" He'd never been happier to see someone in his life. "Thank god, I thought I might rip all me hair out if I didn't have a break from doin' this." He gestured down at the mess of paper and glue with his chin, since both hands were a bit... occupied. "Yeh, they are. Quite bland, joost... some photos of inside a studio an' some outdoor pictures from Wales. It's quite boring there, you know," He exhaled, gnawing on his bottom lip like it was a chew toy.

He (attempted to) straighten up, putting all the items in his hands down on the table so he could direct his full attention to his friend, who had miraculously cleared his mind of most of the stress that lingered. She was always such a relief, maybe it was because she was just calming, but he'd been missing her - she had been about the only person who really listened to him. They both exchanged a great deal of rage between one another over the letters, so he knew she was someone he could fully trust - he could only hope she felt the same way about him. He felt bad, hearing about her baby brother, how it deprived her of all her parent's attention... he could hardly imagine what that felt like.

"It's easy ta think about runnin' away, sort of," He adjusted himself in his seat, resting his elbow on the table, his cheek in his palm - which left a stain of previously fresh ink on the side of his cheek. "It kind ov feels like we don't belong much of anywhere. Not even in e' group of misfits, we don't meld quite right." He looked around, making sure no one had been listening in. "You know?"

He decided that he wouldn't make it into small-talk, a back and forth. They'd been just as quick, angry, and introspective about life in their letters, why not in real life? She was like a sister to him, he'd spill his guts if she so much as looked at him a certain way. He supposed they had a good dynamic.

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.

teddy picker  Closed 

Lark's gaze almost greedily stared down at the photos, her fingers settling on a couple of them careful to miss the bits of paste on some of them. Gem's vacation had seemed so amazing, she had never really traveled before. Hogwarts was the furthest she had been from home and even then it wasn't like that was a well traveled experience... no countryside or wilds to explore. No trouble to get in.

"I dunno," Lark breathed as she took a seat across from her friend. "looks pretty amazin' ta me." A small grin spread across her face. "Not the paste job but the trip." She made a face at Gem, teasing him. Silently she thanked her intuition for having lead her to end up here. Gem always made for good company and other the break she felt they had bonded quite a bit through their owls. It felt nice to share frustrations and feelings with someone who understand... and wouldn't judge, not one bit.

"It's easy ta think about runnin' away, sort of,"

Lark swallowed the lump in her throat and sighed, sitting back in her chair. A large part of her agreed. Hogwarts wasn't really running away but sure was the closest thing to it for her. "Ya.." Lark knew exactly what Gem meant. Even with their group of friends there were plenty of times she felt more of an outsider. Most of it she tried to chalk up to her anxiety especially after the Ball. Still...

Their exchange of letters over the break had made Lark realize how very similar they were. What a pair for sure. Lark was close with James sure, but still worried about bothering him with her troubles. Ruthie had become a good friend to her and Elz as well... Cat even at her moodiest still made Lark worry that her own emotions would be cast aside or not communicated properly.. misunderstood. Gem however. Thank Merlin for Gem. Stretching her legs out under the table, resting her old boots on the rung under Gem's chair, Lark let out a sigh.

"It is some...shite." A smile parted the girl's lips. She had never sworn before but Gem was rubbing off on her. There was no other word for it in her vocabulary at the moment that stuck out more than that. Crap. Garbage. Horse-...

"Did they really go off in the middle of your recordin'?" Lark looked at Gem, pursing her lips to one side. She couldn't imagine having her parents pull something like that. Yelling and carrying on...poor Gem. Lark pictured him in the booth trying to handle his own self while his father ripped into his mother again. As much as she was craving attention from her parents, that wasn't something she had wanted either... and certainly not for her friend who deserved so much more. Her heart ached for Gem, such a sweet friend.. someone who had been kind to her from the very first moment they met at breakfast. She had a spot tucked away in her heart for the boy.

In friendships we are searching for a soulmate, someone who shares every facet of their passions and imagination.

teddy picker  Closed 

@Lark Flaer
Gem couldn't keep the smile off his face when he heard Lark say shit, that was funnier than any joke that the best comedian could tell him. Pursing his lips, he held back a snort for the sake of her dignity - he knew she'd start cussing once they hung out enough.

His smile fell off his expression when she brought up the recording.
That had been humiliating, got his mam out of the studio and on a plane back to Sheffield in no time. The fighting and ugly words hadn't ended there, though, and instead prospered - Leland had said some ugly things to both him and his dad, and the rest of the band members. He'd spent all these years, since he was eight, admiring Leland - and he saw the ugliest part of him. He saw the ugly in everyone, and that was something he felt like he didn't deserve to watch. He felt like his only thing to look forward to were Lark's letters, where they could go back and forth without the worry of an argument, or a fear of being abandoned or replaced... they could let it out, and that felt good. Whenever he couldn't take it out on words, he took it out on music - he'd played music harder than he ever had, angrier, faster.

"Yeh," He murmured, his eyebrows twitching upwards a bit. "It wos... ugly, not really as ugly as Jef- dad and Leland, they went at it hard... throwin' stuff. I don' even - I don't want to remember what they said, but it was... it - it reminded me of that whole 'don't meet yer idols' thing." He brought his fingers up in airquotes, managing a side-smile.

"And you? Yer parents still bein' hardarses about yer lil' brother?" He furrowed his eyebrows, nudging her shoulder with his lightly. "Never understood e' hype about babies. All they do is eat, cry, shit, an' sleep. They've got such a great daughter right 'ere, an' they go and ignore her fer a damn whinin' cabbage. Some lousy parents." He was one to talk, but he just wanted to make her feel better - he knew she felt awful about the new kid, and it was true, he didn't understand the hype about babies. They were... weird.

Maybe they should run away.
Hogwarts wasn't much, but it was a home, or a place to feel safe, but when the people there turned against you, it was just about as cold as a cadaver's heart. He felt like he was at home when he was with Lark, so maybe anywhere they went, there would be that familiar home feeling - or, maybe just the one he'd longed for.

teddy picker  Closed 

Seeing the expression on Gem's face made Lark start to regret bringing up the incident altogether... but seeing Gem made her unable to stop herself. She didn't want her friend to wallow and drown, not alone at least if she could help it. That trip was supposed to be for Gem, about Gem. Yet, from his letters Lark gathered that his family and even Leland had ruined much of that for him.. and it made her hate that. She hated it. Hated that her friend was once again hurting. Over break Gem had been the only one to see her, actually see her even if it was through words. Her own parents had other priorities... meanwhile in Gem's letters that he sent and her responses she was able to feel seen.

As she listened to her friend recount he argument, Lark let out a breath slowly. She hadn't the chance to meet any of her idols.. but was all too accustomed to severe disappointment this past month. People that you held up so high only for them to come crashing down right on top of you knocking the very air from your lungs. She thought of a phrase she heard her father use once. "Takes the wind outa your sails.." It felt like the right timing for that to be said. Her father always came up with all sorts of sayings for anything and it wasn't until the Ball that she started to have first hand knowledge of what most of them equated to.. granted she could've gone a few more years before having most of her childhood swiftly taken away from her. Wasn't this supposed to be the type of thing that adults dealt with?

"I'm sorry 'bout Leland." Lark had always loved listening to stories of him that Gem told over and over. She had never gotten sick of hear them and the way it brightened Gem's face. Now however... there was venom in its place of his once cheerful name.

"And you? Yer parents still bein' hardarses about yer lil' brother?"

The mention of Corvus made Lark's back stiffen. It wasn't so much the babes fault... she mostly blamed her parents for how they were acting. Still, unknown to her family or Lark their actions were piecing together a rather violent, nasty little green monster in the depths of their daughter's soul. Something that would not so easily be rid of... if at all. "I don't get it either..." Lark groaned as she thought back to the endless crying... sleepless nights. A handful of times Lark had snuck into Corvus' room to try and soothe him back to sleep. It was strange... he calmed instantly at her voice but after awhile her mother would quietly pad into the room and shoo her out, angry whispers asking why she was even in the babies room to begin with.

"You'd think they'd be happy I was helpin'.." Lark snapped as memories of arguments flooded her thoughts. "Thanks.." She offered Gem a small sideways grin at his compliment. If only that were true. She didn't feel so great.. "Did ye at least get in any good studio time?" Lark wasn't well versed in musical knowledge or band whatsits but Gem had been educating her a great deal on things which was helpful, and a welcomed distraction.

teddy picker  Closed 

@Lark Flaer
That had been so lost on Gem, how they'd treat her that way. Normally, parents wanted their eldest children to have a bond with the newest, but it didn't seem like the case with the Flaer family. He pitied her, empathized to his best, but he could never quite understand her parents. He didn't like them very much, from what he heard, but that was about it.

"You oughta make the babeh yer best friend, piss em' off more," He smiled a bit, "you can paint each other's nails an' talk about boooys." He crooned, just to lighten up the situation at hand - it could've gotten darker, but he was sure that could be saved for late night common room talk.

"Oh, yeh. Actually, I ended up playin' great, I didn't know bein' treated like shite got me to play so well. My solos were perfect, apparently, but I don't think they'll use me backin' vocals. I think I sound like too mooch like a child, since me voice hasn't quite dropped yet." He reached up, feeling the small adam's apple on his throat - he wondered if it'd ever get much bigger, his dad's was quite prominent.

Eventually, he had enough of slumping over with that dumb cat on his shoulders, so he reached around and picked him up with all the strength in his arms, an offended-sounding gasp forcing its way out of his mouth.

"This cat is so goddamn fat, it should be illegal," He puffed, setting Basil down in his lap. He knew it'd ruin the darkness of his jeans, but he chose not to pay attention to it for now - that'd be an issue he could deal with a lint roller. "Ya wanna pet him? He's quite an attention whore." As if on cue, Basil's head popped over the table, his dumb, young face relaxed and lazy - it was hard not to want to go on and pet him.

teddy picker  Closed 

Earlier this day Opeila had entered the library more aggressively than she had ever been in her life. She could feel the letter inside her pocket like a 10 kilogramm weight. It almost seemed to burn into the skin on her chest, trying to get it's horrible message deeper than it already was.
After reading the letter, she almost ran to the library, the only thing slowing her down was the pain, caused by a fall down the last seven steps of the owlery. She know that she hit her head and was bleeding in some places, but those places wer covered by her cloak and she just ignored the increasing dizziness.
So she had been in the library, yelled at some other first years in there and swore like she never did before. For that the librarian wouldn't let her enter the library anymore for the rest of the week but Opeila ran off before she could also lose the books to the strict woman.
Now she entered the study room with at least seven books, but in her hurry she tripped in the entrance and dropped all the books. She had fought against her tears for the last twenty minutes but this was too much. While collecting the books, her hands started shaking again. She knew that she seemed like a crazy person, but this time she wasn't embarassed about it.
No, Opeila was scared of something much more important and she had no idea what she could do to help. Or if she could at all.
Last edited by Opeila Seilun on 26th January 2020, 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"It is not the people with the best intentions, that get you hurt. It is the cowards with the best intentions." -Opeila Seilun, in a moment of despair and disappointment
Stats: Stamina 5|Evasion 4|Strength 4|Wisdom 7|Arcane Power 5|Accuracy 5

teddy picker  Closed 

»»————-————-««
Interacting with: @Gem Stuart - @Opeila Seilun
Lark snickered at the thought of giving her little brother a makeover. Although if she really thought about it, her mother would probably enjoy that a little too much. If she even let her get close to the boy... Both of her parents were so tied up cooing and coddling the little thing that Lark hardly had time with him. The one time she had tried to hold him her mother came rushing towards them and practically snarled at her like a rabid animal.

"That's amazin' though. I'm glad you got a chance ta work on your music. Even if well.." Lark gave her friend a sideways glance. "He'll be sorry, Gem." She nudged his leg with her boot. "You're goin' ta be somethin' bigger than him. He knows it.. that's why he's such a langer." Gem really was rubbing off on her. There was a sort of thrill though not having to be proper constantly, the risk of getting caught but also knowing the cow her parents would have if they knew they had such a mouth on their daughter. Her other friends might have lost it if she spoke up like that but... it was tiring always being meek and proper, especially recently. Something felt different after the ball and certainly after winter break. Maybe it was all this Scottish air.

Reaching out towards Basil, Lark scoffed at Gem. "Ah leave the tub alone." She made a small pspsps sound to the cat trying to catch his attention. Animals, her biggest weakness. Just then a crashing sort of noise jolted Lark in her seat. The loud clap of book covers smacking against the floor made Lark wince. Seeing the cause for the break in her and Gem's little protective bubble, the girl's eyed rested on a small auburn haired girl. Books were strewn out in front of her and it looked like she had stumbled through the entrance in a hurry. Another first year maybe? Lark raised a silvery brow in Gem's direction, no one she recognized.

Typically Lark would have made no pause in rushing to help the girl, however today she felt rather selfish. All she wanted to do was sit and stew in Gem's company. With all that had happened over break she really just wanted to vent to her friend and listen to his travels. Feeling as if an awkwardly long amount of time... silently dragging on while the girl was on the floor, Lark pushed herself up from the table and knelt down in front of the girl noticing her house robes, Slytherin. Grabbing one of the books Lark offered the girl a kind smile.

"Are ye okay?" Closing the book in her hands, looking over the spine and making sure it wasn't completely damaged, Lark stared at the girl now realizing she appeared to have been crying.

teddy picker  Closed 

@Lark Flaer & @Opeila Seilun
"It's sort ov hard to, you know, considerin' the fact he eats all the damn f-" He was interrupted by a crash and a tumble, which startled him enough to make him tense up. "Jesus."

Lark wasn't the one feeling selfish that day, and in a sense, he'd considered turning his cheek and pretending it never even happened - save her some embarrassment - but the minute he saw Lark get up to go help, he huffed and followed suit.

Crouching down, he began to collect her books and stack them on top one another, from ascending order, biggest to smallest. A Slytherin girl, with her books all over the place, holding back tears - was she still frustrated about school? That definitely may have been it, but with some of the issues he'd heard other kids having and how they handled it here? Maybe her dog died. He didn't know whether to prod or just leave her to her own devices. He figured asking might do her well, so he followed up Lark's question;

"Yeh, you all right, mate? Quite a fall you took there," He smiled a bit, standing up, holding all the books in his arms, supported by his chest. "Oh." She'd started to cry, that was fun. Normally, he was very good at handling tears, stranger or not, but... well, he didn't know why he felt so stunted today. Maybe he was a bit irritated, that his moment with his friend had been halted to a sudden stop. At the same time, he was happy to know the two of them had some kind of silent agreement to help someone in need. Kind of.

teddy picker  Closed 

»»————-————-««
Interacting with: @Gem Stuart
Glad that Gem had come to help, Lark gave him a quizzical look. The girl seemed rather distressed but... "Do you need us ta-" As Lark looked back to the girl to try and see if she needed any help again, she was... gone? Book in hand, Lark stood and blinked down at Gem. "What... was that about?" All that interruption to their little moment of misery and poof the girl was gone without even a thank you?

Feeling rather annoyed, Lark set the girl's book down on the table and sat back down. "Well.. That was .. interestin'?" She snorted and returned her attention to Gem's fuzzy companion. "People are strange..." Lark found herself more comfortable around animals... although her friends were an exception. She could spend hours around them quietly and still feel fine.. except.. still eventually on the outs when her mind decided to take her down a darker path every so often. "I wonder if they really do listen y'know?" Gently running her hands over the cat's fur the interaction soothing some of Lark's frustrations, she wished that they had pets back home. Her parents studied creatures but having a companion was a whole other thing. A pair of ears to actually listen to her when she needed... comfort.. warm hugs and fuzzy kisses on demand. No judgments.. that would be nice.

"Gem.. I don't want ta go home again." Lark's voice was low. She had only sort of admit the feeling to James out of their group of friends... but she knew Gem would understand. "It's like they have their own .. family now. Without me." Memories of winter break dug their way up into her thoughts. Feeling like an outsider watching her parents coo and awe over her little brother. If it was this bad now how would it be in years to come? Maybe she could travel with her friends each break.. or stay at Hogwarts..? She focused her energy into petting Basil hoping it wouldn't leave any energy left to stem tears in her ears.

teddy picker  Closed 

Grace entered the study room, her sack was very full. Today, Grace had her hair shoulder-length and brown, then out of nowhere, all of the books in her sack fell out and Grace yelled quietly “Damn it!” she had ink in the sack and it spilled everywhere, one shard of glass had cut Grace in her index finger “Reparo” she muttered and the shards of glass repaired themselves. Grace picked up her books and quill, dropping some more books in her arms as she muttered curse words under her breath, Grace was clumsy that was no doubt. The Ravenclaw looked up to see two other students there, both in her house, she blushed and sat down, sucking the finger that was cut. She could tell the two kids were talking about something personal, the girl dropped her voice now "Gem.. I don't want ta go home again." Grace blushed and moved away from them so she was out of earshot, she hated eavesdropping but hated accidentally eavesdropping more. Grace tried putting the short brown hair in a braid but was unsuccessful, so she make her hair the normal waist-length dirty blonde hair and out her hair in a braided bun. Grace then took out the things she needed and started doing what she always does, study. 

Stamina: 5 Evasion: 6 Strength: 3 Wisdom: 7 ArcPower: 4 Accuracy: 5
Talents: Metamorphmagus