Study Room

Register
Sign in

Spare Patience?  Complete 

Remember when Lou Reed played a concert in a swamp?

Gem stared at the parchment, his quill clutched between his fingers with utmost gentleness. Lou Reed played a concert in a swamp-- yes, he remembered that, that was something that happened. What he hadn't remembered was why he was here, there were absolutely no traces of any actual studying he had to be doing, just the paper that said something about Lou Reed playing a show in a swamp, sitting right before him, torturing him. He stared at the parchment for longer and longer, the text unmoving, there to haunt and vex him. Why did he do that?

What was he here for again?

Oh yeah, he was responding to an owl from his dad and the best place to sit and write was the Study Room, right. He had no idea why he would respond to that, because the only thing on the parchment was "Remember when Lou Reed played a concert in a swamp?" and that was it. Absolutely nothing else, except for his dad's name at the very bottom. He felt like that could've been fine if his dad sent him anything else, but nope. This was the first owl his dad ever made an effort to send. Nothing else. Truly incredible parenting, nothing could top it.

He sniffed, unblinking, suddenly feeling a small twinge of irritation. Was this sent to bug him? Because it wasn't funny. I mean, yeah, it was funny, but it also wasn't funny at all. What was his dad hoping to achieve by sending this? What was going through Jeff Stuart's mind when he sat down, wrote that sentence out, and made the effort to send it to his son, who was in school, hardworking on his wizardry? No substance, nothing to respond to, just that.

If you were to sit Gem down and ask him why this parchment was consuming him with so much stress and irritation, he would probably burst into tears, because that's what he felt like doing right now. This stupid note about Lou Reed playing his stupid concert in a stupid swamp was making him feel heavy in the chest, his hands feel weak, and his stomach weigh on his little body. There was no telling whether or not he was tearing up, but he definitely looked troubled, flustered, confused, frustrated, most of all. His eyebrows knitted together in a bit of a more decipherable expression, but it didn't take long after that for him to give up on keeping his head on his shoulders and slam his face against the table.

Lou Reed... he thought bitterly, stupid. Stupid idiot, playing a stupid show in a stupid swamp that maybe FIVE people attended. Dumb stupid, bish bosh, dumb, dumb, dumb. This is daft. I hate Lou Reed.
Part of him hoped that his tantrum would cause someone would come sit with him, able to distract him from the terrors and shiteshow that the dumb owl his father sent had caused him. This was true teenage angst, pain, and sorrow. Nothing could ever possibly top it, not a single thing.
Last edited by Gem Stuart on 10th September 2019, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

—and though i try so not to suffer the indignity of a reaction, there were no cracks to grasp or gaps to claw.

Reducio
@Gem Stuart

"Ah-bare-toh"

That was all you heard as Brielle walked down the hall to the study room. DADA studies were killing her this first semester, and all she had been doing with her spare time was practicing these dumb charms! She had made it to the quiet Study Room and took a seat at an empty table. The chair made a cringe worthy sound as she pulled it back, the legs of the chair making an awful screech against the newly waxed floor.

She licked her finger as she turned the next page of her book, her head resting on the palm of her right hand. As her eyelids fluttered downward, she was immediately woken up by the sound of a bang on one of the tables beside her. Brielle slowly looked around, and noticed all of the other students were curious as to what made the sound. Her eyes flicked to a table in the center of the room, a boy with robes a bit oversized and a purple tie. His head had been facing down on the table, mumbling words ever so faintly that Brielle could only get a gist of what he was talking about.
“Lou Reed?”
She had whispered the name to herself, wondering who they were. Whatever it was about, he seemed to be pretty roughed up about it. She sat and wondered if his head were okay, or what even caused him to be upset. Had someone bullied him? Homesick maybe? He looked like a first year similar to her so maybe he wasn’t taking the transition well. She decided to stop inferring and just go ask him. As she slid everything on her table into her bag, she quietly tiptoed to the boy with his head down. She tapped his shoulder, and whispered softly as she took a seat. "Are you alright?”

Brielle Gray ゚・:*。(ꈍᴗꈍ)ε`*)~。*:・゚
Proudly Veela
Strength: 5 Evasion: 5 Stamina: 4 Wisdom: 5 Arcane Power: 5 Accuracy: 6

@Brielle Gray

Gem knew very well that tantrums wouldn't amount to friendships, and would more often than not repel people from you-- but no one could tell he was throwing a tantrum, maybe they just thought he was being humorous about how hard school was, pounding his face on the table as if he were saying, Oh God, this work. It's soooo hard, it is. Yes.

But he wasn't. Instead, he was having a fit over some dumb musician his dad was apparently fascinated with. He still couldn't wrap his mind around it, over this. His dad may as well have just appeared out of thin air, slapped Gem right across the noggin, and then disappeared again, because that's exactly what this felt like. He couldn't believe it!
He would've kept on sulking, he really wished he could, but he felt activity beside him, and some movement visible from his peripheral vision. It could've been a lot of things, maybe a prefect coming in to ask him if he needed some counseling, or maybe it was a kid about to come and tell him how quirky and funny he was for slamming his face down on a table. But no, instead, it was a gentle voice, clearly belonged to a girl, the concern crystal clear in her voice.

"Are you alright?”
"Is that a rhetorical question?" He groaned, only lifting his head because it was sort of hard to breathe when his big, bird-like nose was crushed into some wood. "Cos if it is, I'll answer anyweh. NO." He worried, for a moment, if what he just did was rude-- shite, it probably totally was and now she thinks you're a knobhead. Great job, Gem.

"It's becos' me dad... he's an idiot, really. Look at this owl e' sent, fookin' ridiculous," He slid the parchment over to her, and there it was, in its full glory. "This is e' letter that made me go bonkers. Really, I wish I was kiddin'."
He tried really hard to smile, just so he came off as a lot less of a jerk than he probably looked like right now, but it likely just made him look really sad and pathetic, so he stopped. Instead of forcing himself to smile, he held his hand out and offered an introduction, the corners of his lips naturally cracking upwards into a grin.
"Ehm... sorry, I kinda... popped off there, I didn' mean ta do that. Gem Stuart, a pleasure." There we go, finally, something that didn't make him look like a kid with a cabbage in his skull rather than a brain. He was glad it was natural instinct to make an introduction before scaring people off thanks to his mouth that never ever seemed to stop running. Merlin, this was a mess.

—and though i try so not to suffer the indignity of a reaction, there were no cracks to grasp or gaps to claw.

@Gem Stuart
Brielle really had been concerned, because it wasn't every day that she saw someone bang their head against a table. Plus, what had she got to lose coming up to this boy? If anything she could make a new friend from this! So she picked up her bag and whispered softly "Are you alright?" with a warm smile. Not the smile you get from normal Slytherins, this one had been more genuine.

Though when she had asked her question, he responded harshly with "Is that a rhetorical question?" Brielle's kind expression crumpled as she heard the rude tone in his voice, as she didn't even know what she had done wrong. Maybe he doesn't want to be bothered. I should just go back to my studies.. She thought timidly. Though her shy demeanor didn't last for long, as her Slytherin roots came back to her. As she opened her mouth to tell the boy about his awful attitude, his face softened into what seemed like a forced smile. She frowned as he began to talk some more.

"It's becos' me dad... he's an idiot, really. Look at this owl e' sent, fookin' ridiculous. This is e' letter that made me go bonkers. Really, I wish I was kiddin." And with that he slid the parchment over to her, her small hands picking up the letter and reading aloud. "Oh, so Lou Reed like the musician? I don't see why this letter is so bad.. Unless there's a deeper meaning behind it that you aren't telling me about?" Though Brielle stopped there, aware that she had become too nosy. She absoulutley hated when people came and asked about her personal life, and she found herself doing the same thing to this boy. "I'm sorry, nevermind. That's too.. that's too much for me to know. I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

"Ehm... sorry, I kinda... popped off there, I didn' mean ta do that. Gem Stuart, a pleasure." Gem had said, a grin now plastered across his face. "Enchantè, I'm Brielle. She shook his hand and smiled back, showing that they we're okay with one another.

Proudly Veela

@Brielle Gray

Gem felt his expression slowly start to lose its crinkle, the sour attitude slipping from his tongue while he spoke. He felt bad, really, that he had snapped at her like that. She was just trying to help him out, for whatever reason.

"No worry, it isn't mooch of a secret. Me dad, he never ever sends letters, owls, nuffin' that indicates I'm a worry in his world, and so when he finally does, he..." He looked disgusted, gesturing at the parchment again, "He sends me a bloody letter about Lou Reed as if I'd care. It's frustratin'!" He exhaled dramatically, his shoulders sagging with the sudden punch in his voice. He needed to relax, he was acting... weird, out of character. Was that how growing up worked? She had a lot of patience continuing to sit with him, she was probably a really good person. Probably.

He was dragged back out of his thoughts when he heard her voice. It was oddly calm, she seemed pretty polite and kind-- she could've very well given him a Glasgow kiss for how he was speaking to her earlier, but she didn't. Now that took an awful lot of patience, he thought, not a very common quality for Slytherins. But what do I know? I'm not a Slytherin. Maybe I should've been-- actually, no. No, I shouldn't.

"That's a pretty name, haven't heard anythin' like it." It was now that he took the time to actually get a good look at the girl beside him; neat, long, black hair, green eyes, (is what it looked like, anyway) and a slim, nice face. She was pretty, that was for certain.
"Sorreh if I interrupted any studyin' going on, if you need help with anyfin' I'd be happy to help out, since..." He gestured at his robes, "I was kind of thrust into the Generic Smart Kid Club." He cracked another tiny grin, his fingers tugging around at his sleeves anxiously.

"What'd you come in here for, anyways? Wot class, I mean." He inquired, glancing down at her bag of items, likely for studying. Why else would she come into the study room? To learn to juggle? Actually, that'd be pretty amusing. Too bad this was a school for magic, not... juggling. Where was he going with this?

@Gem Stuart ・:*。(ꈍᴗꈍ)ε`*)~。*:・゚
Relief crossed over her when he had told her she hadn't been too annoying. It then dawned over her that some kids didn't get letters from their parents like she did. Brielle's write her about every week, checking up on her, so she just assumed everyone had that. Maybe that was ignorant of her, that she just guessed the judgement of something like that.

She giggled when he had complimented her name, mostly because of the fact that it was named after a small town in the Netherlands. She appreciated it though, because most don't compliment her at all. She could tell that he was a nice person, he was just frustrated at the moment, that was all. Oh, and she liked his accent, that was a plus.

"Oh? My studying.. Yeah it was just some charms. The pronunciation always gets me, since I feel silly most of the time saying them aloud. She laughed, and pulled out her notebook, pointing to the word accio. "AK-ee-oh? Ack-eye-o?" Her face flushed a bright pink shade, embarrassed of saying it wrong. "Maybe you could help me? If you'd be willing, of course. I just have a test tomorrow in class and need a second glance on some stuff."

Proudly Veela

@Brielle Gray

Gem felt a sudden relief when he noticed he could be of some help, leaning over her shoulder to get a glance at her notebook. Accio, that one was easy.

"It's pronounced ah-kee-oh," He mused, "You know e' wand motion for it, yeh? The same as makin' a giant parenthesis." He knew charms class was tricky, he'd really gotten a head-start with Leland showing him some tricks early and all. Pulling out his wand, he scanned the area, looking for something to use the spell on. Eventually, he saw something, a kid that wasn't quite paying attention, with a little packaged chocolate frog right beside their hand.

"It's a good spell to be used for, ehm..." He glanced at her with a sheepish grin, "Tricks." He stared at the student's chocolate frog, just barely raising his wand over the desk, and with a quick flick and a whisper-shout, "Accio!", it was flying towards him. He managed to actually catch it in his palm and hide it under the desk before they saw it was him, but he'd give it back in due time-- he wasn't a thief.
He looked back over at her, a bit proud of himself that he was able to use his magic outside of class properly. Maybe him wanting to impress her was a weird sort of motivation, but it worked.

"Right, now you try it. I don't see anyeh professers er' prefects around, nuffin' wrong wiv wreaking a bit of havoc." He winked, throwing the chocolate frog, aiming it right at the student's head. When they turned and looked angry, he just shrunk back and waved, mumbling 'sorry, sorry...' as quietly as he could.

@Gem Stuart

Brielle nodded her head, showing that she was interested as to what he had said. She repeated the syllables after him quietly, ah-kee-oh.. and practiced the wand motion as he talked. Her eyes followed his as he scanned the room, looking for any sort of way to display the charm. She noticed the boy with the chocolate frog right about the same time he did, she then turned back to him, implying to go on.
"Tricks, huh?" She asked as he whisper-shouted the charm. She giggled, as the chocolate frog was now in his hand, though the boy whom it belonged to didn't seem to notice. He seemed to have placed it under the table in his lap to conceal the fact he took it, that is if the boy ever saw it missing. Brielle then turned and playfully punched him, "As cool as that was, you have to give it back silly."
She watched him throw the chocolate back at him, the student wearing an angry expression now. Brielle now was searching for a victim of her own, looking around the entire study room for something to use it on. She eventually spotted a ring that sparkled in the sunlight of the window. She figured that would be a pretty easy target, and begun to flick her wand in the motion of the charm. She said the word "accio" softly, but the ring didn't go to her. Instead it went in a completely different direction and hit the ceiling with a bang! Brielle sank in her chair as she tried to cover her face, flustered from how wrong it went.

She turned back to Gem once more a whispered, "I think I did it wrong.."

Proudly Veela

@Brielle Gray

Gem hadn't quite noticed what Brielle was aiming at until he saw it glisten under the sun's beams. He was relieved she didn't do something bigger like some wizards would, like chairs, but that never did end very well... like, ever. But this was an easy target, he figured she'd get it. In fact, he was pretty confident that she would.

Except she didn't. The real cherry on top was the violent clink against the ceiling it caused, a couple of snide students turning their heads to give the empty air an ugly look, maybe a bit annoyed, but returned to their studies shortly after. He was sat there, his jaw sort of hung open at how surprisingly loud the sound was-- now he was really relieved there weren't any professors around, they'd get chewed out for sure. When he finally got around to turning his attention back to his new study buddy, she had her face shielded by her palms, clearly embarrassed at the spiel that had just gone down.

"I think I did it wrong..."

"Yeh, just a bit." He tried not to smile so big, but he couldn't help it-- it was kind of adorable how she shrunk back like that. "But aye, no one gets it perfect onn'a first try. Look, here," He set his hand on top of hers, the one holding the wand, only looking to her for confirmation that it was okay he was touching her. "You don't mind, do ya?"

"Now watch, yeh joost flick yer wrist, a real simple motion, and be fake-confident. As long as you can hear yer own voice, say it proper, then you'll get it." He held her hand up for her, aiming it at the ring on the middle of the floor. "Right, tell me when you're ready, and I'll help you wiv the motion. You just have to... ehm, say it. Ah-kee-oh, right?" He really did believe she could do it, she was (probably) a smart girl. He didn't quite catch her mistake the first time, but it may have been a shaky hand-- she'd said it right, what else was there to do wrong?

@Gem Stuart
She removed her hands from her face slowly and begun to sit with straight posture again. Brielle noticed his smile and couldn't help but grin back, knowing he thought her little scene was amusing. Brielle kind of cringed when he touched her hand, but relaxed once he asked if it were okay. She nodded her head implying she was fine with it, and begun to listen to what he had been telling her.

Flick your wrist.. she repeated, and did so just like he said. She then said the charm correctly, pointing her wand steadily at the ring that had now just lied on the ground, the person whom it belonged to hadn't picked it up yet. The ring imediatly flung into her hand, causing a proud smile to cross Brielle's face.

"Did you see that? I did it right! Really, did you see it? That was crazy!" Brielle had squealed, acting as if she was a 5 year old in a candy store. She looked over at her new friend and laughed, noticing that she had just been rambling on. "Psh, sorry I got so.. carried away. I just thought it was cool, y'know?"

Proudly Veela

@Brielle Gray

Gem was almost as focused as she was, at that point, staring the ring down like it were a target (and it was, but like, an archery target). He winced when the ring flew in their general direction, bracing for it to knock him right in the face. Only, it didn't, and he instead felt his face brightening up with glee when she opened up her palm and showed him she'd caught it.
This must've been what it felt like when you watched your kid take its first steps, because he was pretty damn excited.

"Good job! Ya did it!" He winked at her reassuringly, leaning over the table to see if anyone had noticed them squawking like birds, all over a spell. "I fink that's quite the achievement, if I could give ya a gift, I would." He adjusted in his seat, turning to face her again, cocking his head like that of a curious dog.

"So... Are you... like, y'know, wizardborn? I'm joost askin', cos' for some people, magic comes realleh naturally for them. It took me a bit, but I learn sort ov fast, so..." He gestured at her wand, brown eyes meeting her far less boring green ones. "Tell me a bit about yourself, if ya don't mind-" He stopped, realizing he may be a little too invasive. She'd come to study, not have a therapy session with some Ravenclaw who looked like an ugly baby bird.

"U-unless you want ta just keep learnin' spells. Which is fine, becos spells are cool and you're getting really good at it." His face felt hot when he realized how quickly he spouted that sentence out, that and how overwhelming it probably was. He wanted to bang his face into a table again, but that'd probably be a little less comedic than the first time.

@Gem Stuart
She grinned as she adjusted in her seat, cocking her head back at him when he asked about herself. ”About me? Oh gosh.. Well I mean I’m a Slytherin for what that’s worth. Sometimes I question if I’m really cut out for this house though. I just don’t find myself.. as rude as the others? Not saying all Slytherins are rude, but they do tend to be jerks. Though I’m certainly not meant for hufflepuff, because I don’t find my self naive or somewhat of a pushover either. I really don’t anymore, so I guess I should just trust the hats intuition. Brielle then put on a warm smile again, noticing that his face had been quite flustered.

Brielle then lit up, sitting up excitedly. ”Oh, oh! I’m going to a back to school party tomorrow, you should really come with me! It’s hosted by Maggie Parker, really it will be so much fun. She laughed, hoping she didn’t sound too eager, it was just that she didn’t have many friends in her year and this was a great chance to make one.

”Of course, only if you want to! No worries if you’re busy or anything. I just thought it would be enjoyable.”

Proudly Veela

@Brielle Gray

Gem, since he was young, tried his very best not to have a bias about Slytherins. While it was often difficult, usually because all of the Slytherins he met were terrifying, mean, overly witty, or his dad, he felt his tension about them slowly start to lift away like a burden off his shoulders. This was probably one of the nicest students he'd ever met!

He felt himself smile a bit at this epiphany, but his face immediately fell at the mention of being invited to a party. Oh, now that had to be the scariest thing he'd ever been told straight to his face. A party. He was being invited to a party, hosted by Maggie Parker, who was likely one of the most gorgeous girls he'd ever seen in his entire life, and he was invited by another girl, who was also absolutely stunning.

He wondered, for a moment, if he was hallucinating.

"A- bbh, a pa- a party?" He sputtered, his eyes wide and bottom lip wobbling. "Wiv-- wiv you? You want ta take me to a--" He blinked, squeezing his eyes shut to try and wake himself up from whatever daydream was going on right now. This could've very well been a cruel prank, now that freaked him out, but another part of his brain reassured him (in a not-so-nice-way) that he wasn't important enough to have this many people in on a prank.

Deal.

"Right! Alright, yes. I'd love ta go wiv you, joost... tell me where ta meet ya, and I will. Yeh. Party- ehm, sorreh, I've joost... never been to one. So, yeh. Thanks. Only if everyone's alright wiv it, anyway. Then I'm definitely game! To... go to a party. Wiv you. Only if you're going too." He smiled again, fumbling around with his hands like a dumb teenager, or maybe a mole rat, those things always had their hands together like they'd been asked to a party out of nowhere by a pretty girl they'd just met because they were sulking.
Was that too niche?
Probably.

@Gem Stuart
He said yes, he really agreed to go with her! She flashed a warm smile, noticing his lack for words, stuttering quite a lot. "So it's a date. Meet in{enter classroom number i really don't know which one lmao}, and make sure to bring snacks, because its going to be a sleepover! She slipped her books back into her backpack and focused back on him. She hoped that he didn't find her weird for this. I mean, it was weird. A girl he just met for about 2 hours is now asking him to come to a sleepover with her? Maybe she shouldn't have asked and just asked a closer friend like Grayson or something. Brielle shrugged to herself, and met her eyes with his. He seemed to be fumbling with his hands, so she suspected he was nervous or something. Why was there any need to be nervous about though? Maggie seemed to be a pretty nice girl, and Brielle had tried her best to seem welcoming?

"And don't be late, 'cus we might start the movie without you!" She smiled as she walked out of the doors of the Study Room, crossing her fingers that he shows up.
Brielle Exits
Reducio
So the roleplay thread to the party is here. I think some others have started but I don't believe we're late.

Proudly Veela

Gem felt momentary relief that she seemed genuinely excited that he was going to tag along, his thumb tapping against his palm with a big, round grin on his face. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad, interacting with other people-- and even if he didn't really speak to anyone, he'd have Brielle there, right? Right. Okay. This would not end in him wanting to slam his face into a desk so hard he'd break his nose. How niche.

"Uhm, yeh! Yeah, yes. I'll... I'll see you there!" He flashed a tiny grin, watching her gather her things and leave. He hadn't realized how hard his heart was pounding in his chest until after he'd had the chance to settle down and realize that everything was fuzzy.

This would be nice, he thought, looking back down at his desk, his face a bit red-- he was flustered, wasn't he? Christ, he needed to relax. After a moment of joy that made his fingers twitch, he looked down at the stupid letter his dad had sent him. He didn't feel a jarring sense of frustration anymore, in fact, he didn't feel anything. He was too consumed with his own excitement to care that that letter had vexed him at one point, and even felt a bit embarrassed how dramatic he'd been about it. Now was too good to be angry about a dumb thing like that, and he knew it.

Carefully pulling a parchment from his bag, he wrote his father back, all with a smile on his face.

No. Never cared much for Lou Reed.

And that was that.
(OOC: the end lmao)