Study Room

Register
Sign in

All's Fair  PV H. Lowe and A. Bezuidenhout 

Private to Anastasia Beckett, @Hugh Lowe, and @Aurelia Bezuidenhout

Date: December 19, 2018
Time: 1:00 p.m.
Anastasia couldn't help grinning. She was in her element, and better still, she was spending time with Hugh. True, she was still refusing to admit that she had feelings beyond friendship for the boy, but that didn't mean she didn't enjoy spending time with him. He was a friend, which were rare for the girl. Most people were either an enemy or a minion, but Hugh was somehow a friend and Anastasia probably trusted him the most out of her peers. She wasn't sure what it was about him, but she couldn't help smiling around her. She realized he was probably her best friend at the school, which was a rather odd thought since they'd only known each other for a few months. Still, that would explain why she liked spending time with him. That was what she told herself, anyway. 

"So, let's see it again," she said to the boy. She'd mastered the lighting charm fairly quickly, but her Nox was somewhat inconsistent. Mostly, it would go out perfectly on the first try, but occasionally, it would just refuse to go out and she'd have to just drop the wand to put it out. Hugh was having a similar problem, only slightly more pronounced. His light just wouldn't go out and Anastasia couldn't figure out exactly what was happening. She was rather surprised that one of the two of them hadn't managed to set the Study Room on fire, seeing as neither of them was actually able to put out the wand when they meant to 100% of the time. Anastasia had managed to practice enough that she was only having issues every tenth time or so, but that still wasn't good enough for her. She had to have the spell all the way perfect all of the time. 

"Lumos!" she said firmly. Her wand amicably lit up. Lovely. Now, "Nox!" Nothing happened. She attempted it again, but her bloody wand just wouldn't stop glowing. The light had a pinkish tint and she frowned again. That was a bad sign. Sighing, she let go of the offending wood and it clattered to the ground. The light disappeared and she retrieved her wand. Hugh didn't seem to be having much more success than she was. 

"Oh, I just thought of something!" Anastasia exclaimed brightly. "If you could just wait for half a second, I believe I know exactly where to find a book on the topic in the Library." She couldn't believe she hadn't thought of it sooner! She lept up and walked out the door, her expression focused. She considered asking Hugh to come with, but the Study Room was packed and Anastasia doubted they'd be able to get their table back if they both went. That was rather annoying, but she'd be quick. 

I only act like I know everything. Maybe I'm scared that someone will find out I don’t. Stats - Strength: 5, Agility: 6, Control: 12, Stamina:7

He nearly hit the boy sitting behind him as he was flailing his wand in all directions, hopelessly trying to make the light go out that came off his wand. In retrospect, it would have been some minor achievement for the boy to actually cast a succesful lumos charm. Even though it was flickering all over the place to his own embarassment. "Nox!" He repeated, clearly annoyed by his own prowess.

He wiped off some sweat from his twitching brow as his eyes shot sideways towards Ana. There she was. Again, doing everything perfect as usual. He felt kind off bad for being so aweful. She must have thought him a fool. He grumbled a bit as he cleared his throat whislt his hand slowly tucked the lit wand under his armpit. A vain attempt of hiding the bright flickering light of the wand. His head bright red, he took a few seconds to admire the girl some more. His eyes were desperately trying to sneak in as many peeks as possible without being too suspicious. Or worse... odd.

In a moment's notice Ana got up from her seat and left for some book that might help them getting the hang of this spell. "O-oh, alright then." he muttered as he watched her pace out of the room. With a slight sigh of relief he let his wand free from under his arm. The thing was still shining bright as day, not even the flickering had stopped. As if someone had replaced it with a stick and a loose lightbulb on top of it. He sighed once more as he let his head rest on one hand as the other held the magical flashlight up for examination. he was doomed.

"So we shall, my friend. We have witnessed - and, in fact, on several occasions incited - many great and weighty events. After all that toil, I believe we deserve a bit of a rest." - STR: 8 AGL 5 CTL: 7 STA: 10

Study period to Aurelia was a waste of time. She could be spending the hour doing more constructive things but still she had no choice but to oblige to her given time table. There wasn’t much for Aurelia to do since she had already completed her homework so she simply took out her History of Magic textbook and began to read the same tales over and over again.

Aurelia squinted when a white light shone brightly directly at her eyes. Idiotic it would be for any one who dared to pester her on purpose. Closing the heavy book shut, Aurelia looked up with slight annoyance that could be seen on her face. Thankfully for her, it wasn’t what she thought it would be. Two tables across her was Hugh Lowe and Anastasia swishing their wands around clearly practicing the wand lighting charm.

A glint of a mischievous smile appeared on her face when Anastasia left her wand on the table, stood up and left. Hugh Lowe was there alone, distinctively hiding his still lighted wand. Hugh was the most possible reason why Anastasia had a dislike towards her in the first place. It was during the Gryffindor common room sleepover. Aurelia had interrupted their conversation and Anastasia had walked of most likely envious. Now Aurelia was going to take her chance to get back at her.

Aurelia stood up and made her way towards wher Hugh was seated. “Hugh dear, your light is slightly blinding. You know, you can simply put the wand down to put the light off?” Aurelia smiled sweetly as she gestured to the wand under his arm.

Anastasia must be really good friend to be helping you with these spells. But surely it doesn’t hurt to ask a second year for help once in a while.” Aurelia started before plopping herself down beside the boy. Anastasia just had to appear at the right moment.

She drew her own wand, “The wand extinguishing charm is fairly simple, you’d do great.” she insisted.

STA 5 | AGL 12 | STR 9 | CNT 9 |
As from January'19, 𝔄𝔲𝔯𝔢𝔩𝔦𝔞✻𝔅𝔢𝔷𝔲𝔦𝔡𝔢𝔫𝔥𝔬𝔲𝔱 has braces.

Another girl interrupted his distracted and loud grumbling. The abrupt intrusion caused him to jolt back on his chair. Green, murky eyes flashed towards the other person that had approached him. She adressed him as "Dear", which felt rather familiar for someone he had only seen once or twice in the past months he had spent inside the castle. Though nonetheless, Aurelia Bezuidenhout was a character few would not know he imagined. He remembered her being in charge of the Gryffindor paper and her asking some questions on him and Ana. With that in mind, he narrowed his eyes.

"Aurelia. Hello." His cheeks turned a deep red as she mentioned lit wand in his hand. "Put it... down?" He eyed the wooden stick and recalled Ana doing the same. He must've missed that part in class, perhaps he got sleepy again. He quickly let go of his wand and witnessed the light flipping off. "Of course... I- I knew that..." He coughed a bit excessively to show he was saying so in a joking manner. She offered her aid as an experienced second year and before he could give any sort of reply she had found her way right next to him.

"Ana should be... I-... Oh, bu-... ssssuure." He looked a bit nervous with his new assistance. "I guess it wouldn't hurt?" He let one hand ruffle through his messy hair as he picked his wand back up with the other. "Though Ana should be back soon." He eyed the door, hoping she was already there. Not sure if he should even be hoping for such a thing. Inside he found himself cursing at the situation.

He gave Aurelia a grumpy look. Not that he felt any hatred towards her. She was just sitting in Ana's spot. He frowned as he assumed she wanted him to try the flashlight spell again. With a hesitant Lumos the wand flickered softly and then grew dark again. "As you can see, I'm not exactly an expert in the first part. So lets not mention the second part just yet...""

"So we shall, my friend. We have witnessed - and, in fact, on several occasions incited - many great and weighty events. After all that toil, I believe we deserve a bit of a rest." - STR: 8 AGL 5 CTL: 7 STA: 10

Both corners of the girl’s lips lifted up into a genuine closed mouth smile. Perfect. Hugh’s reaction was exactly what she had hoped for. The stuttering, the redness on his cheeks and most of all, the mention of his dear friend Anastasia was perfect. Aurelia waited in anticipation for Anastasia’s head popping right around the corner. Aurelia couldn’t predict how she should react but she knew it wouldn’t be pretty.

During two separate interviews she had with Hugh and Ana, for the Gryffgazette off course, both of them had stated they were just friends which was a disappointment for the young determined journalist since there was nothing worth putting in her article on gossips. She knew better than to publish something without reliable proof, it could get her in trouble or worse, having her popularity drop down low the charts. Perhaps a student with not so big of an ego would be alright with just a few small gossips floating around the school about her but Aurelia Bezuidenhout, couldn’t afford that. But now, the rumours around the school about the relationship of these two students seemed now otherwise.

Don’t worry about Anastasia. I’ll teach her the counterspell once she comes back over. Both of you seemed to be struggling on that. ” The only thing Aurelia would be teaching Anastasia was a lesson, not damned spell. If Aurelia hadn’t found the crumpled article next the bin, who knew what drastic rumours might have been spread about her. Anastasia had clearly wanted to make her look bad and probably to take on her position in the Gryffindor newspaper team. So Aurelia was about to get her revenge in a less physical way to avoid getting into trouble.

The Brunette has her elbow on the table and leaned her chin on her knuckles as she watched the younger boy attempt to light his wand up. The light simple flickered on for a few seconds before dimming. Aurelia heaved a sigh, he had a lot of work to do.

Mister Lowe, quit doubting yourself, tell yourself that you are able to get the wand to light up.” The girl started, shaking her head very so lightly.

How should I put it? The light from your wand is like your hopes, dreams, aspirations, goals and if you don’t believe in yourself, if you doubt that you are able achieve them, then it’ll all crash down and flicker off into darkness as quickly as that light did.” Aurelia said wiggling her fingers at Hugh’s wand. It was a rather depressing way to put it, but Aurelia couldn’t see a better way to spark that determination in the boy. He wouldn’t want his hopes and dreams to crash down would he?

One more thing, when you say the incantation, day it like you mean it. Say it almost as if you’re commanding a pet dog to sit or a broom to fly.” Aurelia then produced her wand to show the boy how it was done. “Lumos,” She uttered the incantation confidently, barely a second later, the wood in her palm grew warmer and white light glowed at the wands tip.

See, it’s not that hard. Now try again. I’m sure you can do it!” She spoke the words as encouragingly as possible.

He eyed the girl seemingly processing some line of thought before showing him what seemed like a genuine smile. So far she didn't seem to bad. Same as Ana hadn't despite the rumors that had reached his ears before he ever got a decent conversation with her. Except for the train maybe. But boy was he nervous then. The whole trip to the station had been madness to the boy. His father desperately trying every single joke he had stocked in his arsenal of dad jokes.

The boy cocked his head and furrowed his brow as Aurelia suddenly mentioned she'd teach Ana as well. Somehow, Hugh had a hard time imagining Ana would be anything near pleased with that. The girl went on to comment on his confidence. A recurring issue, Hugh had to admit. Yet somewhere in his mind he was still figuring out what was wrong with using a simple flashlight instead of lighting up a stick. Though he of course understood a wand was a practical thing. It was still so foreign. "I-..." He barely got out a word and she was back at it. This time she gave him some film-version-speech about hope. He couldn't help but cringe at that, on the inside of course.

On the outside, he was smiling. Genuinely accepting of the girl trying to help him with his struggle. At her request, he gave it another try. "Lumos!" Not even a flicker this time. Causing the boy to let out an exasperated sigh. "You know, I don't particularly like magic." he noted with slight agitation in his voice. He remembered the days math was hard.

Once again, the boy’s attempt at the wand-lighting charm had failed, this time not even a glimmer of light had been emitted. What was he doing wrong? What was she doing wrong? Aurelia was sure her advice was good enough for him to actually get the spell right. That is if he had been paying attention, which apparently he hadn’t. Aurelia had given Hugh the finest idea she had in mind and yet... he failed.It wasn’t much of a matter, success or not, Aurelia’s intentions weren’t to tuition the first year boy the lumos spell but rather cause his ‘girlfriend’ to throw them some jealousy.

Aurelia just needed he satisfaction of Anastasia’s furious reaction and she’d be on her way. How much longer did Anastasia need just to get a simple book? Taking her chances, Aurelia decided that she was going to stay put a little longer and help the poor boy, at least until the other Gryffindor girl arrived. At this time of the year, first years would already have mastered that simple spell, at least Lumos as the counter-spell was slightly more challenging to master. “You’re a wizard Hugh, you have magic in your own blood.” The girl responded, laughing lightly.

Don’t fret, we have plenty of time for you to master the spell. It might be your wand-movement that you’re doing wrong.” Aurelia suggested as she brushed a brown lock of hair which had fallen from her braid away from her face.The second year reached out for the boy’s right hand which was grasping onto the thin wand. Then she gently led his hand in a subtle curve-shape, showing him how the wand movement should be done. “Exactly like how I’ve showed you. ” She stated proudly with her hand still on the boy’s.