Study Room

Register
Sign in

Liar.  PV Eris Fawley   Finished 

Studying, studying, studying. No matter how many times Rosie did it, it was still as boring as the session before. But, it was necessary, Rosie wouldn't get better if she didn't study, so the young girl decided to take a trip to the Study Room, to catch up on her Charms. Even though, Rosie was very bored by the topic. Mostly because it was just spells, and spells, and spells, spells that she couldn't even learn yet as a first year! Made no sense.

But anyways, Rosie happily skipped down the hallway regardless, her books tucked under her arms. She was eager to get started, more or less so she'd finish sooner. She sighed and turned the corner to the study hall, humming a cute little song. Rosie loved singing, secretly, but she always thought her voice was gross. In reality, her voice wasn't the worse. It was soft, and it flowed. She pushed open the door, opening her eyes to see something she had been avoiding. No, not something. Someone. Someone she didn't really wanna see.

Eris Fawley.

Rosie's face paled and she was frozen at the door for a moment. She hadn't talked to Eris since the Lock-In. She still felt so sad because of what happened. Rosie trusted her, and Eris broke it. Granted, Rosie trusted people too easily, but it didn't make it hurt any less. She quickly turned around, about to leave. She could not deal with her right now. Not Eris. Rosie didn't wanna be punched, she didn't wanna be yelled at, she didn't want a confrontation. She was scared, and hurt.

Coward. You stupid coward. You stupid mudblood ugly coward!

I'm the violence in the pouring rain
I'm a hurricane.

Feet glided across the stone halls of Hogwarts, hands tucked into the pockets of oversized robes. Even after a year at school, the girl wearing the robes had not gotten any bigger. It would be kind to say she had grown half and inch, but even that was a vast overstatement. Eris Fawley was not getting any taller, and the heavy slouching of her shoulders certainly didn't make the short girl seem any taller, even though she really needed the extra height.

Her fingers brushed the cool stone of the castle, long ivory pianists fingers tracing patterns as Eris walked. Footsteps idle, Eris swaggered through the almost empty halls, book bag strapped to her back. The heavy presence on her back was enough to make Eris's shoulders strain, as she entered the study room, aimless wandering finally completed and destination achieved.

Breakfast had been short and sweet, and now that it was over, the girl had decided to study, which was strangely out of character for Eris. If one mentioned that it was strange to see the aggressive girl studying, they would get a fist in the face, but nobody seemed to be around. Truthfully, Eris just wanted to get the day over with, and the year over to boot. Her grades were slacking, and although it wasn't common knowledge, Eris Fawley prided herself on learning as much as possible about the wizarding world, and the magical spells that were so important to learn and practice.

One couldn't live their whole life only fighting with their fists. Wits, magic, and other options offered were useful as well, and Eris Fawley knew that all too well. Slowly opening the door, Eris slipped into one of the chairs of the study room, yanking down her book bag and pulling out the books and loose parchment paper out onto the desk in front of her.

The page turned, and flipped to werwolves, which caused Eris to let out a hearty sigh.The last time she read about werewolves, she had been in a fight with Adam Harringtom, and none of the knowledge had sunk into her brain. Now she would have to pay attention, and attempt to learn about werewolves, just to make sure that the Defense Against the Dark Arts mentoring sessions didn't take her completely off guard. But try as she must, Eris couldn't focus, not in the slightest.

To an outsider, Eris would look deep in focus, hunched over the book in front of her. But if one got close enough to stare at her, the situation was entirely different. Numb, expressionless, devoid of most emotions. She wasn't in the particular mood to talk to anyone, to face students, whether they were friends or not. The lock in, the battle with the masked figure, everything went wrong. There wasn't much left that didn't bother Eris, everything just seemed to go... so wrong. Try as she might, things went wrong.

Evidently, that was why Eris found herself studying alone, in the study room. The words of the textbook blended together, fuzzy and impossible to pay attention to, not when Eris was miserable and too tired to pay attention. She hadn't slept last night, staying up and recounting the sticky scent of blood and bird carcass. Why had it gone wrong? Had it been punishment for leaving Rosie Parker to the mercy of a snake, trusting the other girl to her smarts. She couldn't help feeling guilty about leaving the girl, but Eris didn't understand why she would feel so horribly about leaving the hufflepuff girl.

It wasn't like they were close friends, but there was something so nice about the hufflepuff girl. Something pure and innocent, that made Eris happy around her. She had defended Eris and been friends with Eris, even when she had no reason to stay around, or be her friend. And how had Eris repaid that? By leaving her to die, just to meet up with Max and Dorian. Guilt reared it's ugly head, but Eris shoved it down.

There was no time to feel bad about random girls, but why did she feel so horribly? Brushing a hand down the fabric of her robes, Eris finally turned to the door, shocked to see Rosie Parker standing there, as if she had been summoned by Eris's thoughts.

Maybe Eris had gone crazy, and maybe nobody was standing there. Either way, Eris's eyebrows raised and a flush brought forth to her face. "Rosie?"
Last edited by Eris Fawley on 1st August 2018, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

THE EXTREME ALWAYS SEEMS TO MAKE AN IMPRESSION.
Eris Fawley:
Strength: 6 //Agility: 10 //Control: 9 //Stamina: 10

"don't be afraid of losing someone who doesn't feel lucky to have you."

"Rosie?"

The Hufflepuff stopped in her tracks, a chill going up her spine. She saw her. It was too late to escape, with Eris' eyes on her. Why. W h y. Rosie sighed and turned around slowly, her eyes on Eris. She could start the conversation with anything. Maybe a friendly hello! Or maybe Rosie could turn around and bolt out of the room. To say Rosie wasn't still upset was a lie, because she was. She could've died. And Eris just went to her boyfriends instead! Her cootie infested boyfriends. Rosie wasn't sure if she actually meant that, but she was going to go with it for the sake of being upset.

She gritted her teeth and held her books closer to her chest. "You sound so shocked to hear me, I'm guessing you thought I actually did die when you left me down there?" Rosie seemed shocked to see even that come out of her mouth. She looked like she felt bad for saying it, but overcast it with the facade of her bitter, and hurt expression. She clenched her fists and sighed, looking down at the floor. "I don't mean to be so rude, Eris. You know being mean isn't my thing, but that hurt. I haven't felt that low since Ma-" She shut her eyes and sighed. "I forgive you, but it hurts to talk to you knowing that you think of me so low that you would leave me like that." Rosie looked at her hands, avoiding any sort of eye contact with the Gryffindor. The last thing she wanted was to be punched.

Comparing Eris to Max was a stretch, but certainly not a surprise to Rosie. Max had made her first few months at Hogwarts a living hell with his teasing and insults. Not to say that Eris was like that, not at all. But the two had something in common. They made Rosie feel unimportant and small. Maybe she was only thinking like that because of what Eris had done, because other than that, she was an amazing friend. She was a soft soul hidden by a strong and intimidating resting female dog face.

But no matter what Rosie thought about Eris, she had done what she had done, and that was that. Rosie hadn't been upset about it until the very moment they faced each other in practically silence. Maybe they would make up. Maybe Eris would punch her and send Dorian and Max to throw her off the astronomy tower.

Whatever would happen, Rosie would just have to deal with it. Like she dealt with every other hardship that came her way.

We each survive in our own way.

Eris was always expected to be angry. The school wanted a bully, and Eris's nativity about the social lives of children had served her well in becoming one of the most fearsome first years in the school. Had she wanted that reputation for herself? Eris didn't know anymore, and it didn't matter what she wanted. Her friends were all that mattered, not the people that she hurt, or even Eris herself. So she let herself burn and rage, just like a wildfire. Hot and furious in nature, yet the truth was, wildfires died out, leaving destruction in their wake. They didn't last forever, and Eris was tired. She was tired of the yelling, the fighting, the punching, the fact that everything went wrong.

The lock in had been one of the most traumatic experiences of her young life, and Eris felt her friendships with Dorian and Max weren't as close anymore. She had left Rosie for her two best friends, and they didn't even care about her. They bossed her around and snapped at her for wanting to go back to Rosie, when Eris was trying to do the right thing! She had channeled her anger then, digging up the dregs of her anger. Anger always lingered under Eris's skin, because anger was easy. Tears were hard, sadness was hard, it made you weak. Happiness was scary, because people never stayed, and someday, they would throw her out just like Eris's mother did.

Adam threw Eris out, and they still hadn't talked since the horrible Defense Against the Dark Arts Lesson. Max and Dorian were mad, and she had left Rosie to die. Eris was stuck. She was supposed to be angry. She should run away, do something, anything at all, but Eris was rooted to the spot. Her fingernails dug into her palms, as Eris opened her mouth to speak, but shut it again.

A sharp intake of breath was all Eris Fawley could muster before the anger poured out..in the form of tears? Was she crying? That wasn't very brave at all. She should yell at Rosie, she should scream at her, but no words left Eris's mouth, just tears. Every word Rosie said was true. Eris had left her, that dreadful night. Typical Eris, typical stupidity, typical. Typical, typical, typical.

Eris had thought she was doing the right thing in the lock in. She had tried to protect everyone, but she had failed. Of course she had failed. Eris failed at everything, try as she did. She tried being Rosie's friend, even though she didn't know the other girl. She tried being Eri's friend at the start of the year, but that had gone wrong. She had tried being Amelia's friend, but Amelia had left her. Everyone left her. Eris really was horrible at making friends that were girls.

Eris was not brave. She was weak, so weak. Rosie was the real brave one, but that didn't matter. How could Eris say that? Rosie hated her now, and rightly so. The situation was too much for the eleven year old girl to process, and Eris felt herself shutting down, fingernails digging deep enough into her palms to make faint red pinpricks in her skin.

Eris did not notice, as her silent tears kept falling to the desk with large splatters. She was brave. She was a Gryffindor, Eris could do this. It took all her courage to push herself up, but Eris did so. Watery eyes pushed themselves up, instead of staring at the desk, Eris leveled a watery stare at Rosie, as a laugh pulled it's self from Eris's quivering lips.

It was not a bitter laugh, rather a shaky attempt at speaking and freeing Eris's lips for what she was about to say. What was she about to say, anyways? Eris had no idea, but sometimes, the best sentences were the ones that were unplanned.

"I-" Her mouth closed again, then opened as Eris let out a large sigh, finally letting her nails fall away from the inside of her palms, as the girl's arms reached around her shoulders, as if Eris was giving herself a hug.

It was pathetic, but Eris and emotions weren't friends. She didn't not know how to handle feeling sad, did not know how to handle confrontation, friendship, or anything of that caliber. "I didn't mean to leave you behind, oh god. I know, I'm a horrible friend, I, just, I wanted to save everyone. I wanted to make sure Max, Dorian, and Dorothy were okay, and I forgot there was a snake- and, and,"

Another choked sob stopped the pathetic speech in it's tracks, as the fiery girl broke down even more, struggling to get through her monologue. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I know that means nothing, I just, didn't-" she didn't finish her sentence, breaking eye contact with Rosie. Eris let out another sigh, still curled up in a ball.

"I don't deserve your forgiveness." She finally muttered, the words falling flat, as Eris whispered them.

Eris Fawley:

The Lock-In was not fun. At all. In the slightest. And at this point, Eris knew that too. Rosie was always the local pushover. The naive optimist. The ugly mudblood. And at this point, Rosie was starting to believe it herself. What was she, really? She was the typical Hufflepuff. The fragile coward that everyone assumed her to be. What Max assumed her to be.

But Rosie wasn't a coward. She wouldn't let herself think she was a coward anymore. Not after the Lock In. Not after what she went through with Lucy. Not after she narrowly escaped the man eating snake monster without dying. Not after she had the guts to confront Eris about the entire situation, so she would know that what she did was wrong. Rosie maybe 3 months earlier, if Eris had done her dirty, probably wouldn't have said anything in fear Eris would punch her. But not anymore.

And Rosie wasn't going to let Eris think of herself so low. Because that wasn't fair.

She had been staring at the floor for a while, not knowing what to say. Rosie thought it had been silent for a while, before looking up and opening her mouth to speak. "Eris I-" She stopped, her eyes widening. Was she... Crying? She was crying. Those were tears. On Eris' face. Oh no. Rosie had never seen Eris cry, not once. Rosie convinced herself that Eris was this strong, prince like figure who never showed any emotion besides determination to really enhance her bravery. But there she stood, crying. Not to say that Eris wasn't brave. But Rosie was confused. Had she said something? Something wrong?

No. No don't cry. Stop crying. Cause if you cry, Rosie- And tears were brimming at her eyes. Rosie always cried when someone else was. Always. Every single time. She bit her bottom lip and closed her eyes, taking in a slow, and shaky breath. Rosie had to be strong, for Eris' sake. Because from how Eris was crying, it seemed like she was being strong for so long, she just couldn't be anymore.

But what broke Rosie is when Eris started apologizing. "Oh no.. Eris, please." She mumbled, tears forming quicker in her eyes. After another second of Eris apologizing, Rosie dumped her books onto the table and dashed over to Eris, wrapping her arms around her in a tight hug. "Don't you say that. Don't you ever say that. You're not a horrible friend." She sniffled, burying her face into her shoulder. "You're a wonderful friend. People make mistakes, Eris. You're not perfect, you don't have to be." She pulled back, tears running down your face. "I-I look at you and I see, a brave and amazing girl, who made the wrong decision. I want to be friends with you, Eris." Rosie said, gripping her shoulders. "I wanna keep being your friend. You deserve every bit of good that I can offer. I'm not mad anymore. I-I promise." She managed to smile sadly, hoping her words would go through to her broken friend.

Rosie had to show Eris she was so much more than what she thought.

I run away when things are good
and i've never really understood.

Sometimes, relationships were built from shared experiences that two friends had together. Sometimes friendships just happened, when you couldn't name exactly when you had become friends. Those were the best friendships, the kind of relationships that you could always cling onto like a life house in a raging storm. Sometimes, other friendships just weaseled their way into your heart, just as Rosie had weaseled her way into Eris's life.

She hadn't expected to run across a girl crying in the hallways, when Eris had been stalking the halls of her own accord, hunting for a place to hide from wandering eyes. At that point of her life, all Eris had known were wandering eyes, and a prying fear of Adam Harringtom. When she had found a girl crying in the hallway, Eris had put aside her vanity, for a split second, to help the child. Eris told herself it was because she was a prefect, but there were small parts of Eris that weren't perfectly brave and daring.

Some part of her wanted to help everyone, and wanted to save those who suffered. Eris had seen enough of sadness, living with her mother, and all the young girl wanted was her friends to be happy. Rosie hadn't been a friend when Anatole and Eris had found her, but Rosie had put too much trust in Eris. They hadn't talked since that day, not until the lock-in, when Eris had smashed Rosie's expectations of friendship into the ground and locked them away with snake scales and a load of post traumatic stress disorder, that would haunt most of the hufflepuff and gryffindor students for the rest of their lives.

Eris hadn't felt herself cry this hard since Adam and her had gotten in their fight. That day had been a wreck, which had lead to Eris screaming at Adam and at Kaegen, before collasping into hysterics. Again and again, the cycle of screaming and crying had repeated itself that day, but today, Eris was not screaming. Her face was remarkably red, eyes bloodshot.

Like most pale children, Eris's whole face had turned red from the tears, ugly splotches of color heating up her skin and her eyes, with a vibrant hue. Eris's hair was even more unkempt than usual, as the affects of bawling her eyes out seemed to make the girl's appearance even more messy than usual. Which was really saying something, considering the little care Eris put into throwing on her robes and brushing her hair for the day.

Rosie's words felt far away, as Eris's fists clung to the sides of the table, her teeth gritted together in an attempt to keep from screaming. She wanted to run away, to cry, to scream, to do anything, but before Eris could mutter another sorry and escape the torrent of strange emotions that was flooding through her small body, Rosie's arms were around her, and the dull muffled words that Rosie was whispering finally burst through Eris's clogged eardrums, and her eyes widened. The words were enough to dry Eris's tears, if only for a moment, and cause Eris to stare at Rosie, with a mix of concern and awe on her face.

How was she so nice? It was impossible to meet someone so nice, but there Rosie was. Eris didn't deserve her kindness, and even after all they had been through, the fact that Rosie was still nice was a shock. Maybe being brave wasn't the most important thing, because people like Rosie made the room lighter, and always knew what to say. Eris didn't want to be brave, she wanted to be like Rosie. Pure blood, muggle born, or whatever, Rosie was too kind for this world, and that made Eris feel even more miserable.

Yet, Rosie had forgiven her, so Eris shouldn't be sad anymore. Even if she didn't deserve Rosie's forgiveness, she had gotten it. When Rosie finally pulled away, Eris wiped her hands down the sides of her face, scraping away the tears that had threatened to destroy her moments before.

She felt lighter, different somehow, but still hurt and confused. Tears always took a lot out of Eris, but she forced herself to give Rosie a watery half smile. She could say so many things, but instead, a strangled laugh played its way out of Eris's lips, as she sighed.

"How are you so nice?"

Last edited by Eris Fawley on 10th August 2018, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eris Fawley:

"How are you so nice?" The weak, broken Gryffindor asked.

It should've been an easy question. How? Well, that's just how Rosie was raised, her moral code. That's what she lived by. Kindness. It was even a Hufflepuff thing! Being nice and whatever. But Rosie couldn't answer her. How... Was she so nice? Even to the people who had been the worst to her. To Anatole, who embarrassed her. To Max, who bullied her. To Dorian, who she had no reason to be nice to. And to Eris, who left her to die. So why was Rosie here, hugging her? Telling her she was wonderful?

Because it was the truth.

Rosie rubbed Eris' shoulders gently since her hands were already on her arms. It was a trick she learned from her father. Sometimes, people just needed some physical comfort. She hoped Eris didn't mind. She wiped her eyes, since Rosie had started to cry. She couldn't help it. Eris was crying too. But it was also because the situation made Rosie fall into sadness. The Lock-In was an event that would haunt their days until the end of their time.

"How am I so nice..?" She whispered to herself, repeating the question. "Well.. That's not a very hard question." Rosie managed a cute, small smile. It hid back a trace of sadness from her tears. Her pale face was red from their duo crying session, and her curly hair stuck out more than usual. "I'm nice because sometimes nobody else is, you know? Everyone has to have someone who's kind to them, you do too, Eris. I want to provide kindness for you, even if you think you don't deserve it. Just know that I want to, and if I get hurt again.." She paused. "Well, then that's my fault, isn't it?" She smiled despite the harsh remark to herself.

Sometimes, Rosie thought she was too hard on herself. But at the same time, didn't she deserve it? At this point, she was convinced if she had anything negative to say about herself: It was true. If Rosie was wrong, it was her fault. If she messed up, it was her fault, it was a constant cycle.

And it took way too long for Rosie to realize that was very unhealthy.

Did you hurt the wrong person, or did the wrong person hurt you?

Rosie Parker was too nice for the world, and in that moment, Eris felt the tears start up again. Without a noise, Eris pushed Rosie's arms off her, and wrapped the taller girl in a hug, that she had started, wanting to give Rosie some comfort, and to change the focus of the moment to Rosie, instead of Eris. Although Rosie wasn't that much taller, Eris still had a slight struggle, wrapping her arms around the girl. The hug said what Eris couldn't speak, proving just how sorry she was. Eris didn't deserve Rosie as a friend, but Rosie had offered to be her friend, and Eris refused to let her down.

Eris was far from perfect. Her whole childhood had been there to remind her of that fact, as her mother and sister had yelled and screamed at her, just for being different. Her father had left, only to come back as a rich pure blood with a whole different family. Eris's first day of university wouldn't be with her sister, like the two of them had planned. Eris would be in a magical world, and Bella would not.

Eris had came to Hogwarts, and had let other children change her as a person. Eris didn't know who was she was anymore, but she knew that she liked who she was. She was no longer a frightened little girl, who sat on a couch and read comic books to ignore the ranting and ravings of her mother. She was an 11 year old girl, and all her actions were of her own accord. As much as Eris wanted to deny that she had messed up, she had. There was no spell, that Eris knew of, that could rewind time, and she would just have to live with the messed up facts. She had hurt Rosie, and Eris could take credit for that, as much as it hurt to admit to herself. Eris was in pain, and she hadn't even been hurt. She could hardly imagine what Rosie Parker was going through, in the moment, and right now.

While most of her words were happy, there was a sad undertone to what Rosie was saying, and it hurt Eris beyond words. Eris should be the one that was sad, not Rosie. It was unfair, and it was Eris's fault, but she couldn't take it back. She would just live with the consequences, and vow not to hurt Rosie Parker again.

"I promise I won't hurt you again, Rosie. Or at least, I'll try not to. I make mistakes sometimes, and I'm learning. You can just...tell me when I mess up?" Eris pulled out of the hug, staring up at Rosie with watery eyes, trying to look hopeful, but the expression on her face was far from happy. Unlike Rosie, Eris wasn't good at acting happy when she was sad. Not in the slightest.

Eris Fawley:

love is the answer.
warning: small implications of rosie's sad thinking

Rosie Parker. A sweet Hufflepuff with a happy overcast that hid her unhealthy habits when it came to her friends. Who could've known that such an optimistic little girl hid so many tears and sad thoughts in her brain that was full of imagination? Hell, Rosie didn't even know about how she felt. But the next thing she knew, Eris pushed her arms of. "Wh-" And hugged her instead. Rosie was so confused. Why was Eris hugging her? Rosie didn't-She didn't-

She felt Eris' arms around her and felt tears run down her face. It felt just about the same if Eris had apologized over and over instead. Rosie slowly hugged her back, and it was silent until Eris spoke again. And what she said was the tear-jerker.

Eris promised her.

Promises meant so much to Rosie. They held so much power in just their words and their actions. Promises were never meant to be broken, ever. People were always careful on making them, because breaking a promise, well, is unforgivable. But Eris promised, to try to never hurt Rosie again. She made mistakes, Rosie knew that. But Eris promised never to purposely hurt her again, and it made Rosie break down into tears again. Maybe it was from Eris crying, maybe it was from the entire conversation, but it triggered the Hufflepuff's tear ducts. She hugged Eris back, sniffling. "Yes. I-I promise to tell you if anything's wrong. And-And I promise never to hurt you on purpose either." She backed up, and wiped her eyes.

Rosie took a second to wipe her face and take a deep breath, before sticking out her pinky. "A pinky promise, to make sure we don't have to go through this again. A pinky promise to end all of the tears from each other in the future. A pinky promise to only make each other cry out of happiness." Rosie sniffled, holding her hand with her pinky stuck out. This was serious. Like, serious kid business. It was bad enough to break a promise, but a PINKY promise? That was horrible. But Rosie was serious, and she hoped Eris was too.

Just stand, stand by me.

The fresh onslaught of tears from Rosie was alarming to Eris, who had no idea what to do, or how to handle the new emotions running rampant through the two girls. Rosie had supported her by rubbing her shoulder, so maybe all Eris had to do was hold Rosie and let her cry? Eris tried just that, holding Rosie tighter, trying to show how much she cared, again. She wasn't going anywhere, not this time.

Eris had messed up, but she wasn't going to mess up again. Realistically, she would. They had six years left at Hogwarts, years that would be filled with drama, boyfriends, friendgroups, and betrayals. It was impossible that nothing would go wrong, but a promise was sacred in the mind of an 11 year old, and the infinite stretch of school in front of them seemed so far away. Time would tell if Eris would hurt Rosie again, and time would tell if Rosie hurt Eris, but in the moment it didn't matter.

It mattered little, because both girls were willing to promise friendship, and while it was impossible to predict the future, the future did not matter. The presence, and the willingness to try was the only thing that mattered, and the only promise that someone could fully give. Eris had promised, and like every other child, she did not take promises lightly.

Eris might not have been around a lot of other children, but she knew what promises were from her books, and how they carried people forward for years to come. To make a promise was to give a part of yourself to someone, in Eris's mind, which was filled of fantasy stories and important pacts. Her resolve not to leave Rosie thickened with every moment, as Eris untangled herself from Rosie, nearly choking on the hufflepuff girl's curly hair that was suddenly all up in Eris's face.

Eris hadn't realized how closely pressed together they were, but it wasn't bad. Girls couldn't cause cooties, right? Right. Rosie had been scared of cooties, and had gotten cooties from Anatole, but they had been cured, when people told Eris cooties weren't real. She proved them wrong, though, because Eris's actual friends thought cooties were real. Serena knew it was real, that was why she had been in hiding after kissing Siege. (eww, Siege cooties, those must be worse than normal cooties.) Logical, obviously, in the mind of an 11 year old doctor, who's whole life had been spent in front of books, with no real facts or logic to clarify the strange ideas that raced through her head due to days of isolation.

Eris was quiet when Rosie promised to not to hurt her, but when Rosie had stopped talking, Eris let out a watery chuckle. "I know you'd never hurt me, Rosie." She said it simply, like it was obvious, and it was. Rosie Parker was not the type of person who would hurt anyone, ever.

She was the kind of person who brought people up, and made them feel better. She was the kind of person that everyone wanted to be around, and the kind of person who was overlooked, because she was so stable and calm, and would always be a force in people's lives. Why? Because Rosie Parker cared, and Eris loved her for that, and she loved that Rosie was willing to forgive her, when Eris knew deep down that Rosie had no reason to stay with Eris, when she could of walked away to the arms of a kinder person, a less unstable person, who would be able to care for her, and be a better friend then Eris would ever be.

What was Rosie doing with her pinky? Eris had not been around other children, and didn't know what a pinky promise was, but she felt the seriousness of the gesture, mimicking Rosie, and holding her pinky out. Carefully, not sure if she was doing the right thing, Eris twined their pinky fingers together, serious expression on her face.

"And to punch people who make us cry." Eris added, grin finally on her face.

Eris Fawley:

it takes a strong person to say sorry, but an even stronger person to forgive.

Sometimes, Rosie felt like she was too nice. Way too nice. And you know what? That was probably true. But Rosie didn't seem to be mind, she liked being nice! Even if that got her made fun of, it was just the way she was. You would think after months of Max calling her naive, she'd eventually change her ways to become harsher and realistic. But not Rosie, not in the slightest. The only way she had changed this year was becoming more brave. And in that bravery, that involved ignoring Max's harsh suggestions.

And now that Rosie thought about it, they... were a bit close. Rosie thought you could only get cooties from boys, so she didn't worry about it. She smiled when Eris mentioned she could never hurt her. "Well, I hope to never hurt you. You don't deserve to be hurt, Eris." She said softly and reassuringly, smiling at Eris a bit sadly still. It seemed sad since Rosie had just been crying, her eyes still a bit puffy. She chuckled again and wiped her eyes. "Geez, I hope nobody sees me like this once I leave... I don't like explaining my tears." Rosie explained.

Once they pinky swore, it was official. A promise to their friendship that would hopefully last a life time. A promise to acknowledge each others flaws, and create a bond that was stronger than most monsters. She giggled at Eris comment, nodding. "And to punch the people who make us cry. Though I'm not really a fighter, I only swing if they do it first!" She nodded, lowering her hand after they locked pinkies. "Also, you looked confused, but pinky promises are very important. They're almost as important as regular promises." Rosie explained, poking Eris in the shoulder. "Remember that." Ah yes, Rosie was basically a teacher.

After their sob fest, the young Hufflepuff stretched. "So, what now? I don't.. Really remember what class I was gonna study for, if you'd like to join me. I'm sure someone like you is super good at all the classes though. I struggle a bit." She laughed nervously, running a hair through her curly locks.

I run away when things are good
and i've never really understood.

Eris clasped her hands together awkwardly, not knowing what else to do or what would come out of her strange outburst of emotions. Eris felt drained, and couldn't imagine how Rosie felt, keeping her emotions about Eris pent up for so long. Eris felt more guilty by the moment, but tried to calm down, remembering that she had said sorry, and that Rosie forgave her, even if the tears told another story, a story that Eris did not want to hear again. She had messed up, but a second chance was something rare, something sacred that Eris had never received before in her life. She would be stupid to let the second chance at Rosie's friendship fade away, even if the friendships of some other students seemed to be more important.

They weren't, not when Rosie was trying so hard, and Eris was going to do her best to be a good friend. Eris would never deserve Rosie as a friend, but she had her, and would not lose her. A promise was a promise, that could never be broken, not without losing a part of yourself in the process.

That much was clear to Eris, clear as dawn in her 11 year old mess of a brain. "You don't deserve to be hurt either Rosie, you're amazing, and sweet, and it's not fair that people, including me, are mean to you. I know I've said it already, but I'm sorry."

Feeling slightly less guilty, Eris stretched back out, wondering why Rosie and Eris were sitting on the ground. How had they got onto the ground? Crossing her legs and sitting in criss cross apple sauce, like any good child would do, Eris drummed her fingers on the cold ground of the Study Room floor, finding comfort in the simple action and the repetition. Along with the cold, it was enough to ground Eris completely, and wipe away the last few traces of guilt and nerves from her body effectively, allowing Eris to focus on the conversation at hand.

Eris nodded, listening to Rosie tell her about pinky promises, grinning a bit when Rosie poked her shoulder. Eris wasn't a fighter either, but she chose not to talk about that, simply grinning back at Rosie. Both of them had tear stained faces, and the pale complexions of the two girls mingled with the tears made both of their faces red.

Deciding they would stay in the study room required no words from Eris, as she nodded her head, yanking down her backpack from where it laid on the seat. "I don't really have any classes to study for, but I can help you study! I'm not very good, but I can do things. Sometimes."

Eris Fawley:

Amazing? Sweet? Was this really what Eris thought of Rosie? She didn't seem to agree, the young Hufflepuff thought none of those things. In fact she just figured she was overbearing, and annoying. But maybe her friends saw her as more than that. Huh. "Well, people are gonna be mean to me regardless, cause my parents aren't wizards. But I'm sure as the years go on, I'll get used to it." She assured, sticking up two thumbs!

Sometimes, secretly, Rosie wished she was a pure blood. She wished she could be treated as a princess in her own house, along with her family. She wished she was a pure blood so people at Hogwarts wouldn't look down on her everytime she said she wanted to learn more magic. But most importantly, she wished she was a pure blood so she'd be worthy enough to be able to have the friends she did now. They didn't deserve a mudblood as their friend,their families probably hated her.

But the world wasn't perfect. Rosie couldn't change everything, no matter what she wanted. No matter how much she could be on the same level as the majority of her friend group, she couldn't. She would always be the mudblood. That would never change.

After Rosie took a while to wipe her remaining tears and take a few breaths, she gently set her hands in her lap and smiled sweetly at Eris. It was like the cry session that had just happened, ceased to exist, and it was just two girls sitting on the floor in the Study Room. Rosie's eyes lit up when Eris said she could help her study. "Really? You would do that? I'm hopeless at some of the classes.." She sighed, chuckling a bit at herself.

Rosie stood up from the ground, most likely helping Eris stand if she'd let her. "Maybe we should take a small walk first, clear our heads. Mine, personally, still kinda hurts. We don't have to if you don't wanna, but..." She smiled nervously. "I kinda want to." Rosie said, heading towards the door, while walking backwards. "You ready?" She asked, motioning her head a bit.

Come, as you are

Eris had never understood the perils of social class, not even in wizarding society. She was lucky, lucky by wizard standards, lucky by muggle standards, but unlucky in the regards of how her family had fallen apart. She was a princess in the wizarding society, a story told by purebloods to their errant children. “Don’t do anything stupid or you’ll end up missing, just like Jane Rowle and Luca Fawley.” And then, she had returned to wizarding society, young and confused. Things had been strange from the start, as the sorting hat had judged Eris’s last name. How was she supposed to judge the sarcasm of a talking hat? There was no way to judge, and the young girl had thought little of it. In a world full of magic and mystery, it wasn’t that strange to know little about her family, right? Eris had hardly thought about it, not until talking to Amelia Lovell and Rhea Bishop. Her word had slowly unraveled, like a ball of yarn, slowly falling apart to the floor, ceasing the spinning on its every turning axis.

But, the string being unraveled had been held by her grandparents. When the string of Eris’s adolescent childhood had come to an end, string going taunt, the weave of fate had tightened its grip on her, slamming Eris onto another string, which had been more like a leash held by pureblood society, and her grandparents, by default. Her parents were gone, or at least, what she had known of them. Children always looked up to their parents, believing their fathers to be a superhero who could do no wrong, believing their mothers to be saints. The veil of innocent admiration faded away over time, normally when puberty reared its ugly head, but in rare cases--it came sooner.

Her mother would never be the mother Eris had expected or needed. There would never be giggling, stories told of first kisses and how to handle them. They would never go shopping together, or whatever else a mother did for her growing child. Eris’s father, he was fine, but a wizard. Afternoons spent watching movies and screaming at the flickering images? Those couldn’t happen again, not with the same normality, not when her father’s memories had been tampered with. Who knew if he was even the same person from Eris’s childhood? So much pain, so much confusion. The breaking of hearts and silent tears followed in the presence of the Fawley family, which was something that Eris was finally starting to learn.

But she was lucky. She was a pureblood, bound to the wizarding world by centuries of bloodshed, con-artistry, and supposed superiority. Eris would never know the bitter bite of cruelty that half bloods and muggle borns suffered from, and she would even inflict pain on those of “lesser” blood status, if she was being honest. Eris was a violent person, which she wasn’t at fault for. At least, that was what she told herself. It was confusing to Eris, the status of the wizarding world. It made no sense, and Eris couldn’t help but furrow her brow at Rosie’s words about her parents.

Naive and small, Eris could hardly understand the world around her, much less the sky above her on cloudy days. Rosie’s words dumbfounded her, making Eris squint at the abyss of poofy hair contained on her friend’s head. She wanted to say that nobody would treat Rosie differently because of her parents, but Eris wasn’t dumb. Some ancient, primal part of her that was slowly being exposed by Max and Dorian’s friendship knew that wasn’t true, and knew with bigoted surety that Rosie would be treated differently, even if Eris wished it otherwises. No, Eris wasn’t dumb, but she was new to the world of pureblood parties and alliances.

So, she smiled anyways. Not a condescending smile, but an absent, thoughtful smile that one can often see on the faces of pondering children, younger but standing in similar stature to Eris. Time was running out, and Eris’s smile was the only response managed, before Rosie changed the topic to homework perils. Eris did mildly well in school, to say the least. She wasn’t bad, but she cared little for her schoolwork. Some classes came easier to Eris than others, which wasn’t too strange for a child, or anyone else trapped in schooling.

“Which classes?” Eris’s hands reached up to touch the puffy red banks under her eyes, swollen by tears falling onto pale skin. Her hands slid down to her sides, before reaching up to grab Rosie’s hands, as she allowed Rosie to pull her up from the ground. The idea of a walk appealed to the little girl, who wanted desperately to get out of the stuffy room.

Nodding, Eris started to walk out of the room. “Yeah, that seems like a good idea.”

Eris Fawley: