Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in
  Back

Compartment 7  Finished 

Avalon heaved her trunk into the empty compartment. She did not have the strength to carry it in the overhead compartment, so she just pushed it as far away from the door as possible. She sighed and sat down, tired from carrying the heavy trunk around. She should have asked her parents to charm it to be as light as a feather! She looked out of the window - she had never been to Platform 9 3/4 before, so this had all been kind of overwhelming. Diagon Alley had been an experience in and of itself, but this was still on another level. So many wizards and witches in one place, and this majestic Hogwarts Express... There were people with owls, cats, and she even saw a toad jump away and a child chasing it, which made her chuckle. Ava had not brought a pet, and she promised herself that she would buy herself one as a gift for next year. 
Ava's parents had not joined her to see her off, which saddened her, but she could understand it as well. They kept away from prying eyes as much as they could. But for Ava, this day was special, and she had wanted them to be here to experience it with her. She did not really know anyone, although she had met a couple of soon-to-be first-years in Diagon Alley. She looked at all the empty seats, and wondered if anyone would wander in her compartment. She sure hoped so - being alone was the thing she disliked the most, and she would love to meet some of her future classmates!
Last edited by Avalon Sylvester on 23rd March 2018, 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Avalon

Compartment 7  Finished 

Eris was wandering through the train herself, lugging a heavy trunk above her head. She couldn't really see anything, nor could anybody see the short girl in the midst of all the trunks and feet. Staggering through the train, Eris decided the next empty compartment she saw, she was going to take. That compartment was seven. Eris shoved the door open, and let her trunk fall to the ground with a heavy thud. Shaking out her arms, Eris winced in pain than turned to survey the compartment.

A girl sat in the corner. A familiar looking girl. Eris had to think for a moment before she remembered the girl, but finally she remembered. It was the wanna-be sytherin girl from Madam Malkins. Ava, right? Eris remembered her as a little pompous, but still nice. She was a better compartment mate then someone Eris didn't know, so with a tiny shrug, Eris greeted her.

"Ava right? We met at Madam Malkins." Eris hoped Ava remembered her, god knows it would of been awkward if she didn't. Deciding it was impolite to leave her trunk on the floor, Eris struggled to lift it up and put in the over head compartment, as she waited for a response. Gritting her teeth in pain, the small girl finally hoisted it over her head and into the right spot.

Eris fell back into an empty seat, panting. Wiping sweat off her forehead, she turned fully towards Ava. She offered the other girl a small smile, and closed her eyes, waiting for an answer still. Boy was she tired. Those trunks really were heavy. Eris hoped she didn't have to carry her trunk up to school. She had no idea how she would do it.

sorry not sorry bout' what i said
STA: 6 EVA: 7 STR: 1 WIS: 8 ACC 9 ACC: 9
abilities: transfig DC -5

Compartment 7  Finished 

Adam saw a familiar figure duck into the compartment in front of him and his face lit up. Was that who he thought it was? Jogging forward to Compartment #7, he rounded the corner and looked inside. It was! Avalon was seated by a window, looking at the empty seats, and Eris was packing away her things. He greeted her enthusiastically. "Ava! Eris! Hey!" Heading into the compartment, he threw one of his bags on his seat and hauled his suitcase into the overhead slots. Turning to an older, brown-haired boy waiting outside of the compartment, he waved him away and said in an annoyed tone, "Get out of here, Dean." The older boy muttered something unintelligible -- but certainly not polite -- in response, but complied, leaving the first-years seated in Compartment 7.

"Sorry, that was my brother, Dean," Adam apologized. "But anyways, how have you been?" The past few days had been a rush of activity in the Harringtom household, filled with packing, double-checking the packing, and saying their temporary goodbyes before Adam and his brother left for Hogwarts. He wondered what Ava and Eris had been up to since they had seen each other at Madame Malkin's. Surely, the girls had been just as busy as he had. He noticed Ava's suitcase pushed off into an out-of-the-way space next to her seat, and asked "Do you need any help with that?" It never occurred to him to give her any time to actually answer the questions. He was just too excited to finally be on the Hogwarts Express!

(Sorry, I saw your names and couldn't resist writing again with a familiar face. Hopefully we'll get more visitors to Compartment 7!)

Adam Harringtom
STA: 12 | EVA: 4 | STR: 6 | WIS: 6 | ARC: 9 | ACC: 8

Compartment 7  Finished 

Eris couldn't help but giggle at Adam's excited rambling. It was quite entertaining. How odd it was that the three of them were back together again, after seeing each other once. Perhaps it was fate, or maybe Eris had just read too many books and considered random events fate. There was still room in the compartment for more people, so Eris had to wonder who else would visit compartment 7.

Humming a little, she watching Adam ramble on, but finally her attention turned to the families on the platform. The muggle families looked terrified, while wizard families looked fondly onto the train. Eris felt as terrified as the muggle families looked. She had wandered around Kings Cross, until seeing some kids lugging heavy trunks vanish into a solid brick wall. So she had followed after them, and here was was, sitting in a compartment on the hogwarts express about to go to a school for magic. She was terrified but more excited then she had been in a long time. Eris had a feeling that this was the start of a new life for her, and there was no turning back. Somehow she didn't feel sad about leaving London behind. She was ready.

Compartment 7  Finished 

Michelle knocked on the compartment door and peaked in to see if there was any room. Three other kids were in the compartment probably first years, a redhead girl, a boy with blond hair and a girl with dark hair. Michelle watched on as the boy with blond hair rambled and the redhead looked out the window. "Hi, can I sit in here?" she asked nervously.

Meeting new people terrified Michelle but she had promised her mom she would surround herself with people and make new friends, that she would not hole up by herself and do what she always did in scary or different situations and shut herself out from the world. "This is a new world you are going to experience Michelle, I don't want you to miss any of it. Talk to the kids in your year and make friends! Maybe you'll find someone going through the same thing you are and make a forever friend." her mother had said while ushering her onto the train, and that's exactly what she was going to do. After all she didn't have her brothers to shield her away from others maybe now she could see what others were like.

"There is very little cherry in this cherry soda and I do not like to be deceived," - M.L
STA: 5, AGL: 4, STR: 4, CTL: 6, AP: 5, ACC: 6

Compartment 7  Finished 

To Ava’s surprise, two familiar faces soon entered the compartment just moments after each other. First was Eris, who Ava was happy to see, and who surprised her by managing to lift her heavy trunk into the overhead compartment. Apparently, the girl had more strength than Ava had originally thought. “Yes, Eris, right? It’s good to see you again! I hope you’ve been well,” Ava said. She was genuinely glad to see the redhead again, as she had liked talking to her before.
Next up was Adam, the tall blonde. Ava caught a glimpse of his brother, who Adam quickly sent away. “I’ve been great,” Ava said when Adam sat down. “I haven’t been sleeping, honestly – I’ve just been imagining what Hogwarts will be like. And thank you, I would appreciate it! Really, I need to learn a spell to make this thing less heavy as soon as we arrive.”
She suddenly felt a lot less nervous, seeing these two again after their short encounter in Diagon Alley. She had thought that there was a chance that they would never speak to each other again if they had  all got sorted into different houses. She knew that could still happen, but at least now there was the opportunity to get to know them a bit better.

Someone knocked on the door, and a timid girl asked if she could sit down. "The more the merrier," Ava said. "There's space enough. I'm Ava, and these are Eris and Adam. What's your name?" 

- Avalon

Compartment 7  Finished 

(OH MY GOSH A NEW PERSON WELCOME sorry I've been waiting)

Adam cut off his story at the sound of a new voice. It was shy, nervous. "Hi, can I sit in here?"

He looked up, forgetting for a minute that they were on the train. The voice belonged to a girl, most likely another first year, standing at the door to their compartment. She had fairly long hair, and looked wary of speaking to the occupants of Compartment 7 at all. Adam, however, was thrilled to have another person find their way to the compartment, and greeted her with enthusiasm. "Yes! Of course!" Unfortunately, he had started to speak right over Ava, and he sheepishly backed down when he realized what had happened. After the introductions were made, though, he smiled warmly at the newcomer. He hoped that she chose to sit with them. He was excited to reconnect with the girls from Madame Malkin's again, and even more excited to meet someone else!

Adam wondered when the train was going to depart. Surely, they had to leave soon if they were going to make it to the castle on time. He wondered if he'd notice when they started to move, or if he'd be too caught up in the action inside of the train. Oh, well. He was sure Eris or Ava would notice, and they'd tell him.

He returned his attention to the new girl outside of the compartment. "So, what are you looking forward to this year?"

Adam Harringtom

Compartment 7  Finished 

Kaegen followed the nervous looking girl into the compartment. This was too new, too different. The train terrified him, made all of his movements more fluid, more smooth. It was something he had done all his life. Animals don't notice things that belong. And smooth things belonged. The crisp steps of something approaching did not. Being soft was how Kaegen avoided trouble. But on this train, the floor moved strangely. It was even more terrifying than what the train had looked like from the outside. In direct contrast to his predatory walk were his eyes, flashing about like a caged animal, searching for a way out. All Kaegen had with him was a shopping bag, with his school things and a small satchel that hung by his hip. He also had a very small, beautifully carved knife that was strapped to his leg, just above the ankle. A quiet tune could hardly be heard. A cracking, broken hum that didn't have very good melody. The hum was too quiet to make out very well, and the rumbling of the train served to drown it out almost entirely. Kaegen stared at the giggling girl, wondering how she could be so happy on this machine? If he died on this contraption, he was going to have a bone to pick with fate. He slipped past the girl, and sat down on the floor with his back to the wall. Freezing, except for his eyes, which were doing a pretty good Tasmanian devil impression as they dashed back and forth and around.

Shade-Beacon, Master of the Castle of Avarice

Compartment 7  Finished 

Eris smiled at the timid girl. She was overjoyed to be back with Adam and Ava, and even more overjoyed to met another first year. "Hi, my name's Eris." she said to the newcomer, trying to break the ice a little bit more. After a few moments of silence, Eris decided saying her name wasn't going to break up the silence enough, so she cleared her throat. "Is anyone else starving! I feel like I'm going to die of hunger!" She proclaimed loudly, just as another boy came into the compartment. He seemed just a quiet as the timid girl, but unlike her, Eris wasn't able to make eye contact with the boy. He also seemed to have a hunting knife by his side. Was that even allowed? Eris wondered. At her old school there was a strict no weapons policy. Maybe magic schools were different.

How strange the boy seemed. He was so withdrawn. Eris didn't understand people who didn't want to talk. Sure, it was scary talking to new people, but it was also great to have friends. Eris's leg shook, as she sat in her seat in the compartment. Gosh there were 4 other people in here with her, and what if they didn't like her. What if they thought her comment about being hungry was weird, and all of them were full already. Eris quickly fixed her gaze out the window again, but getting bored turned back to look at the other children. "What house do you guys want to get into?" There we go, that's a good conversation topic, Eris thought, already pleased with herself.

Compartment 7  Finished 

They introduced themselves and then answered her while talking over each other and asked Michelle her name. "Thank you, my name is Michelle. It's nice to meet everyone." She answered with a small smile, grateful they hadn't turned her away, she handled rejection just about the same way she handled new people.

She sat down until Eris asked if she was hungry, Michelle laughed slightly "Yes very, it seems like running through walls works up an appetite." Then Adam asked about what she was most excited about. "I probably am looking forward to potions, the wizard who came to explain told me about it. It sounds a lot like science and that is my favorite subject in school. What about you guys?" she questioned trying to build a conversation and learn about these kind kids. They seemed very nice and she hoped at least one would be sorted with her so she could know someone. Being alone terrified her and if the wizard who came to explain was right the school was very big and the sorting was done in front of everyone and being the center of attention was definitely not her favourite thing, but she was extremely excited to see where she might fit in. Eris asked if what house she'd like to be in and Michelle gave it a quick thought "I don't really know I barely know enough about them."
Last edited by Michelle Lynch on 17th March 2018, 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"There is very little cherry in this cherry soda and I do not like to be deceived," - M.L

Compartment 7  Finished 

Adam felt the compartment filling up, and after both newcomers had settled in, he felt his stomach growl, too. Apparently he was a little hungry. It made sense; he hadn't had much of a breakfast, since he had been too excited to eat. Now, he regretted his decision. Eris' exclamation caught his ear, and he set his sights on one thing: finding the nearest source of food. He decided that this quest would be a good opportunity to explore the train, get to know some of his compartment-mates, and of course, satisfy his appetite. He was curious to learn more about Ava, Eris, and the other girl -- Michelle, her name was Michelle -- and boy that had come in after him. It was amazing that they were all on the same train, all headed to the same place. He wondered where they were all from. He'd never be able to meet anyone this interesting back in Nottingham; at least, not anyone his own age. Although they had only run into each other on one other occasion, Adam felt himself growing closer to Ava and Eris already, and he knew that the potential for friendship with the other two students was just waiting to be unleashed.

Rising from his seat, he slipped some money out of his suitcase and turned to the rest of the group. "Eris's right. I'm starved. Time for a food run!" He took a step towards the door and looked back at each of the other first-year students. "Who's with me?"

Adam Harringtom

Compartment 7  Finished 

Eris laughed, glad another person had just as big an appetite as her. "Lugging that trunk around made me quite hungry," she agreed, settling back down in her seat. She hadn't realized she'd been on the edge of her seat.

"Wait, a wizard also came to pick you up?" Eris blurted out as Michelle started talking. She remembered when a wizard came to take her to school, and from what she had heard so far that wasn't a normal occurrence. Maybe it was a normal thing for muggle-borns, although Eris wasn't one exactly . "I was so scared when he came I nearly ran away. I couldn't believe it. My mum had told me I was a witch, but I didn't believe it. Also I had been living on the streets for a couple of months, so I thought he was just some hobo trying to take my food." Eris laughed awkwardly, realizing how odd it sounded to say that out loud. "I got kicked out of my mum's house." She said in a quieter tone than grateful to be asked what her favorite subject might be, responded. "I can't wait for defense against the dark arts. I want to be an auror when I grow up.

When Adam asked about a food run Eris nodded and stood up, cutting off whatever she was about to say about aurors. "i'm in.. though I'm broke." she smiled, as if to say sorry.

Compartment 7  Finished 

Suddenly, the compartment was bustling. As Ava was introducing herself to the new girl and being cut off by Adam (who she forgave… this once), someone else slipped by and sat down without as much as looking at them. Ava frowned, but said nothing of it. She had seen that the boy was carrying a knife, and she was not foolish enough to confront him about his lacking manners with the knowledge he could seriously harm her.
“I’m hungry too,” she agreed. “Could not eat anything this morning. My mother said that you can purchase food from a trolley on the train, though, so I will buy us something when they come around to this compartment.” Ava, who had never had friends before, wished to impress them by showing them her generosity. Surely enough, her parents had given her enough money that she estimated she could survive about fifty years on.
The silent girl introduced herself as Michelle, and she seemed to be more talkative than Ava had originally expected her to be. It was a nice surprise. “I’ve already talked about this with Adam and Eris, but I am really looking forward to getting to see some magical creatures. I know we won’t have that class for some years, but I’m sure there’s plenty to see around Hogwarts. My mother told me there’s a Giant Squid in the lake… that’s the first thing I will be trying to find.” She did not want to talk about houses again – she had noticed that Adam had not really enjoyed her description of the houses before, and she did not wish to offend any other potential Hufflepuffs or Gryffindors that were present.
Eris and Michelle seemed to be getting on well, talking about their experiences, when Adam stood up and suggested to go search for food instead of wait for it to arrive. Ava thought of it as a good idea, and followed suit. “Don’t worry,” she said to Eris, “treats are on me.”

- Avalon

Compartment 7  Finished 

Michelle laughed at Eris' response and was a little shocked when she asked about the wizard. "Well yeah... Is it not a normal thing? Maybe because I'm muggle-born and my family needed extra assistance." she answered and listened to Eris' story, and laughed a small bit but after she heard about her mom she felt sympathy for her. She had always had a loving and supportive family she couldn't imagine what being kicked out would feel like, she only knew she wouldn't like it. When she heard Eris' response to what she's most excited about she was confused, the wizard never mentioned defense against the dark arts. What was Defense Against the Dark Arts? She guessed magic could be dangerous but she never thought there would be a class special for defense against it, that kinda scared her.

When Adam got up and suggested a food run she rummaged for the little money she had. "Sure I'd love some food... can I get anything with 3 dollars? Sorry I mean sickles." She laughed and gestured to the coins in her hands, this was the only wizard money she had but she was really hungry. She supposed she wouldn't need the coins at school so better to use them now. When Ava offered to pay she was relieved just in case she did need those three sickles.

Compartment 7  Finished 

Eris grinned at Michelle, glad to have found another person who didn't know a lot about the ways of the magical world. "I don't know if it's a normal thing," She admitted, "I never really bothered to ask." She said shrugging, as she started to walk out of the compartment, waiting for Michelle to follow her out.

Eris thanked Ava and followed her two new friends out of the compartment, eyes wide as she thought about a giant squid lurking in the lake. She wanted to see that for herself. "Wow. I can't believe we're almost at Hogwarts. It's basically a dream come true." Eris remarked to one one in particular, as they traversed the hallways searching for the trolley. There were so many students that Eris had a hard time sticking with her friends, as she kept getting lost in the sea of people. The ginger was really quite short, and could barely even spot Adam and Ava's blonde and black heads of hair. She had to resort to jumping up and down, to the amusement of all the older students she passed. But hey, if jumping up and down was the only way to find her friends, Eris would do it.

After a while spent hopping up and down, Eris finally caught a glimpse of Adam's blonde hair and hurried over towards Adam and Ava. "Sorry I got lost," Eris muttered to their shoulders, as she would have to look all the way up to reach their heads and she was already humiliated enough from hopping up and down frantically. "Any luck finding the trolley?" Eris asked.

Back