Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in

Her First Train Ride In.  open 

This morning had been very emotional for Santario as she had never really been away from her parents before. Even when she visited her grandparents her parents had always come a long for the trip since both sets lived in two different countries. She walked with her parents through the barrier and onto Platform 9 ¾ and was immediately stricken by the surreal feeling of the train really being there. It’s like all of her life she had been told about this amazing school by her parents and now it was finally becoming a reality but within that reality was also the realization that she would be away from home.

She looked up at her mother and smiled. “Don’t worry I’ll be fine.” Isabelle looking almost exactly like an older version of her daughter minus the eye color wiped away a tear that tried to escape from her bright green eyes. “I know ma fille. You will be strong and proud just like your father.” Santario gave her a tight hug before looking at her father who was holding a small gift in his hands wrapped in hunter green paper with silver stripes. “I love you little lady and no matter what house you’re sorted in you will do our family proud! Don’t let it discourage you if you don’t get into Slytherin. All the houses are equally noble.” Their family was a bit different than most pure bred Slytherins they had a bit more of an open mind. “I know papa, thank you!” She hugged him as hard as she could. “I want to get a good seat and get situated… I’m going to miss you guys so much.” Both Isabelle and Cillian hugged their daughter tightly before Cillian handed his gift to her. “For when you get on the train lass. Have fun at school!” Isabelle was too choked up to say anymore as she watched her daughter get on the train.

Once on the train she passed by many other students doing the same thing as her looking for a compartment to get comfortable in for their trip to school. She heard many people call out excited to friends that they had missed over the summer not many people paying mind to her and she was just fine with that. Eventually she laid eyes on an empty cabin which was something she didn’t think she would find. She got herself settled already in her school robes and pulled the long French braid over her shoulder looking down at the gift her father had given her but not yet opening it.

Healing Sage: +25% healing done with potions and spells.
Stamina : 5 | Evasion : 5 | Strength : 3 | Wisdom : 8 | Arcane Power : 7 | Accuracy : 7

Margo strolled along the narrow corridor of the Hogwarts Express, looking for an empty carriage in which she could peacefully spend the journey in. She could hardly believe that she’d already attended Hogwarts for a whole year. There were still so many spells left to learn, let alone all the secrets that were waiting to be discovered in the castle. Of course, she’d had her fair share of discovering (quite a bit of it had included rulebreaking) in her first year, and couldn’t wait to see what the second held in store. She and her classmates would no longer be the newest faces in the halls, and a whole load of new students would join the ranks of Hogwarts. 

Margo stopped, halting the traffic of students, when she saw a fitting compartment. It was all empty apart from a girl with piercing blue eyes and a thick braid over one shoulder. She couldn’t see the expression on her face from the angle of the corridor, but Margo had a good view the package on on the girl’s lap. It was wrapped in Slytherin colours and Margo had to fight a smile as she slid open the compartment door. Over the past year she’d grown fond of her Hogwarts house. It had become her home, in a way, and was now one of the few things that she was fiercely loyal to. 

Stepping into the compartment, Margo placed herself carefully across from the girl and focused her amber gaze upon a spot just above her head. 

“Hi, do you mind sharing your compartment?” She asked confidently. “I’m Margo, what’s your name?”

•𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔤𝔬 𝔚𝔥𝔦𝔱𝔢 •
Strength-6 | Agility-8 | Control-10 | Stamina-6

Santario looking up when she heard the compartment door slide open and looked upon a girl who was obviously older than her but probably by only just a year maybe two. She noted the girl’s short hair and amber eyes. ‘Interesting' She thought as amber eyes was not something she had really seen before. A varied shade of browns that looked a honey or amber in the sunlight yes, but real amber eyes this was a first. She followed the girl with her eyes as she moved and sat down in front of her. San focused her eyes on the bridge of the girls nose it sensationally accomplished making it look like she was attempting to make eye contact without actually making eye contact.

She noted that the girl who now she knew went my Margo asked if she could share the compartment after already sitting down. “Not at all, Margo.” She would give a small smile trying to be polite her hands gently holding the gift her father had given her in her lap. “My name is Santario, it is a pleasure to meet you.” She would extend a hand in greeting. Her words a bit formal maybe a tad stoic as socializing with kids her age was not something, she had been able to do in 4 years. She was a different girl than she was 4 years ago and socializing was not something she was really good at anymore. “Is this your second year?” She inquired taking a guess at the girls age.

‘It would be good to make a friend older than me, especially with everything my parents told me about the castle. I’m bound to get lost and with so many people there it could get lonely not knowing anyone at all.' She thought to herself knowing full well she couldn’t stay by herself all the time and not really sure she wanted to either.

Stamina : 5 | Evasion : 5 | Strength : 3 | Wisdom : 8 | Arcane Power : 7 | Accuracy : 7

Reducio
So so sorry it’s been a little while :( 

Honestly, Margo was little surprised that the girl acted so naturally. That is, if it was considered normal for this girl to be so formal. Margo had no idea who she was, and really hoped that they hadn’t been in class together and she’d ignored the little lady. However, she took Santario’s hand smoothly and shook it slightly awkwardly. The girl’s gaze was focused on her but also... not. She couldn’t quite figure it out. 

“Well thanks.” Margo said, determined to diminish all awkwardness. She was happy to be in a compartment with an interesting person like this anyways.

“Would you like a cookie? My dad baked them.” She asked, producing a tin from her bulging backpack. Saying that her father actually baked them was going a bit far. Margo had had to intervene after he’d spent an hour making sure that there was exactly the same amount of mixture in each cookie. It may have seemed like a long time, but he had to make sure that exactly same number of chocolate chips was in each bit of dough and that they were exactly the same shape- an arduous task. If it wasn’t already easy to see, Margo’s dad was a tad obsessively compulsive, though admittedly very clever. 

“Yes, it’s my second year.” Margo told Santario, shifting her legs on the seat slightly. “Your’s too, I presume?” She asked confidently. The girl didn’t look old enough to be a third year, but it was unlikely that she’d be so confident if she hadn’t already attended Hogwarts, though Margo couldn’t recall ever seeing her face. There were also the wrapping paper colours to consider. It could be a coincidence, of course, but somehow Margo had a feeling that this girl was linked to Slytherin. But... she knew every Slytherin second year’s face, and Santario was not among them. 
Last edited by Margo White on 27th July 2019, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

•𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔤𝔬 𝔚𝔥𝔦𝔱𝔢 •

Reducio
No worries, life happens.  Oh an Santario knew her name because she introduced herself in your first post. :)

It was not in San to act intimidated in situations even if she was in a situation where she was not completely comfortable. Having been around only her parents and grand parents for the last 4 years it made socializing with people her age something she was not comfortable with. She tended to act older and think a bit more mature and she knew that made her strange to kids her age. “You are most welcome.” She would say in turn her expression of gratitude.

She watched as Margo asked her if she would like a cookie and then produced a tin from her book bag. San did not normally enjoy sweets, but she did enjoy an occasional sweet here and there. “I would love one thank you.” She would genuinely smile and only take a cookie when offered to from the tin. She would note that every cookie seemed to be identical but would not say anything about it. After she got her cookie, she would take a bite and chew thoughtfully for a moment. “This is really good!” She was impressed and she meant it. Santario did a lot of the cooking and baking at home since her parents were always so busy, but really, she didn’t mind it. Besides helping her mother with healing, she actually had quite the passion for cooking.

When Margo asked her if she was a second year as well, she shook her head. “No, no this is actually my first year. I just turned eleven this past April.” Although Santario was already in her school robes it could be noted that she did not have a house tie on. “I’m actually really excited and I hope I don’t get too lost. My parents said the castle can be quite intimidating.” She seemed to finally be relaxing just a little bit as the train started to chug along.

Reducio
Oh I’m so sorry, my bad, I changed my post a little.
Santario seemed to like Margo’s fathers cookies, but Margo herself couldn’t decide to be happy or sad about the occurance. On the one hand, her father would be overjoyed to hear positive feedback, but that would also mean that he’d likely stick to his obsessive compulsive ways... not that she wanted Santario to know that. The girl was interesting, but Margo wanted to see if she had a fun spark behind the polite exterior. 

“That’s funky wrapping paper.” She said, pointing the the parcel on the dark haired girl’s lap. “Do I sense a kindred Slytherin spirit in your family?”

Margo was not yet in her school robes, but the only other pair she owned. They were a dark blue colour and draped down past her ankles. She usually wore muggle clothes outside of school hours, but she did own one other pair for wizarding occasions her parents might drag her along to. Honestly, she understood why the Ministry existed, but the people there needed to become a lot more interesting before she’d consider a profession in its underground halls. 

“Interesting.” Margo said thoughtfully. This girl was ice- you had to let her melt a little before you could begin to see inside. She wasn’t unlike Margo, except Margo’s version of melting was having a sarcastic debate. Undortunately, she wasn’t yet at that stage with Santario.

“Have you got your sights set on a particular house?”
She questioned, listening to the quickening thud of the train’s pistons. She wasn’t quite ready to reveal her own Slytherin loyalties just yet.
Last edited by Margo White on 29th July 2019, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

•𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔤𝔬 𝔚𝔥𝔦𝔱𝔢 •

When Margo referenced the wrapping paper Santario was drawn back to the present from her father that was resting in her lap. “Oh, haha, yeah.” She giggled a little. “That’s my father’s doing. He is creative and likes to wrap his gifts with a bit of a flair. I’d say the only reason there wasn’t a bow on it was because he knew it would get squished.” Moving her eyes back to Margo’s face she would nod in response to the question. “Yes, both of my parents were in Slytherin. My whole family has been on my father’s side. My mother’s side was all at Beauxbatons until her.”

The only real quarks her immediate family had was that her father was extremely clumsy and probably broke his nose every other week. It was a good thing that he married someone who had become a healer. Her father’s family, although pureblood, was very unspoken about they worked in secret and stayed as far under the radar as possible in the past. Drawing attention to themselves during the past war was not something they had wanted and because they were so few and few between, they had managed to succeed. The only person she really could complain about would be her grandmother on her mother’s side because she was insanely strict.

“I would like to be in Slytherin just like my family I feel like I belong there, however I wouldn’t be disappointed with Ravenclaw. I do love to learn, and I value knowledge, but I value knowledge as an ambition to drive my goals. Which is why I believe I will follow in my family’s footsteps.” She was just like a little ice cube. The more you talked to her the more she seemed capable of talking.

"I understand the kind of 'creative' families more than you'd think." Margo said, starting to loosen up a little. "My whole family before me was in Ravenclaw before I broke the stereotype. Maybe you'll do the same."

She started to store away the information the girl was giving her into a box labelled 'Santario' at the back of her mind. She liked to analyse people. It soothed her that she'd always have insurance against being in a situation where she'd forgotten something important.  She also just enjoyed gaining knowledge.  Once she'd stored information she had no real interest in displaying it, like in an essay or presentation, but using it instead to reach a goal or dream of hers. And she did have dreams, wild and far off ones to be sure, but they were dreams she wanted to achieve none the less. 

"Do you speak French then?" Margo asked curiously. One of her dreams had always been to learn a language- French specifically. She'd studied and studied at home before coming to Hogwarts, continuing throughout the summer after first year, but her year of absence from all things French had pushed her back down to a beginner again. Something which disappointed her to no end. 

"I'm a Slytherin." Margo finally confessed. "It'd be great if you could join us there." Her last words were spoken with such a  lack of emotion that it could be interpreted that she was being sarcastic.  She'd spoken without thinking, something which she'd vowed not to do after her summer. Santario just seemed to inspire formalities, and Margo couldn't decide whether to love it or loathe it.

•𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔤𝔬 𝔚𝔥𝔦𝔱𝔢 •

Santario would shrug a little when Margo mentioned her breaking the stereotype. “Who knows. It’s possible. They said they would be proud of me no matter what.” She stopped herself from continuing her sentence which would have been finished with that she just wanted a place to fit in with people her own age. She got along with adults just fine and well, but she never fit in with them she was a child and she understood that even though she tended to act a bit more mature than her age.

Santario also had dreams that she wanted to achieve and she too compiled information about people she learned. Santario was very complex and she started off as a hard-little shell, melted enough to make people feel comfortable and to let her learn about them, then she stored that information in case she needed to call upon it in the future. Some people called it manipulation other people called it a means to an end. She would never think about hurting someone doing this, but goals must be met, and she would not let anything or more importantly anyone stop her from them. She learned this skill from her grandmother as she was such a master at the craft San was convinced, she invented the game.

“Unfortunately, I do not speak French nor Irish Celtic as fluently as I would like. I can read and understand them spoken to me far better than I can speak it. I Grew up mostly in England and we would go to France and Ireland every year for the Winter Solstice. My father’s family travels to France every other year and vice versa for my mother’s family to Ireland. Other than that, however I am in England.” She did want to be more fluent in her parents’ native languages but they had always been more focused on the studies that would help her succeed and those two languages for those moments were not very high on the list.

When Margo stated that she was is in Slytherin Santario would give her a smile. “I’d love to be there. Especially since I’ve officially met someone from there besides my parents and grandparents on my father’s side.” The lack of emotion was picked up on and a bit of the hardness came back to those sapphire eyes of hers. Closing herself back up picking up on what she considered someone pretending to be more friendly than she was. After all she had admitted to being a Slytherin and although San hated the stigma that Slytherin carried she noted that Margo may be one of the people that made others believe that it was still a thing.

“So, what is your favorite subject?” She asked keeping the conversation going and trying to gather more information on this girl. The last thing she needed before she even got to school was a rivalry with someone that was presumed to be in her own house. If their goals did not clash than they had no reason to be adversaries. 

Santario seemed... open minded about being in any particular house, and Margo had no problem with that, for the moment. They still had quite a bit of time to fill if they both continued to stay in the same compartment- time that Margo wanted to spend pleasantly with the other girl. They weren't similar creatures, and she doubted that they thought the same way, but at least Santario wasn't bouncing with excitement like some other first years. 

"That's awesome. My family doesn't celebrate the solstices because of school and both my parents being busy with their jobs, but occasionally when I was little we'd go round to my grandfather's and he'd talk about it." Margo kept her voice steady. Her grandfather had passed away a few years back. She hadn't been too close to him, but the funeral had made her eight year old self  grow up a little more. Their attic was still full of his old possessions, some of which had interested Margo deeply over the summer.

"What's it like in France? Where abouts do you go there?" She questioned Santario, her eyes sparkling a little out of curiosity. She'd only been overseas once, to France, in fact, and she desperately wanted to acquaint herself with the rest of the world.

Margo looked at Santario, slightly apologetic for her emotional blip. She wasn't going to go out of her way to apologise though. What would be the point if it didn't come from her heart? Britain was a free country and she could speak how she wanted.

"My favourite subject is probably potions. Not because I'm a Slytherin or anything, but because it's so logical and precise, yet can still surprise you. What subject do you fancy you'll enjoy?" She told Santario. She wanted to get to know the girl more deeply, or at least get past the polite acquaintances stage. "Do you want to play a game or something? I have some cards in my bag." Her smile widened at the thought of a competition. She would not go easy on the first year.

•𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔤𝔬 𝔚𝔥𝔦𝔱𝔢 •

Santario grew up watching and hearing of her grandmother’s politics. Although her grandmother was not a political figure in an official office, she did come from some of the oldest money in France which made her a formidable old biddy and ruthless. Once she committed to something there was no stopping her to any degree, she didn’t care who she had to step on or shove aside to get what she wanted. Although Santario was not as cruel as her grandmother she did learn very well and very fast. She was the kind of girl that wanted to learn the rules of the game so she could make them work for her because what was the point of playing if you didn’t win?

“We stay in the Midi-Pyrenees a region in southern France it is more historical than the more touristy places up north. Nice and quiet without many people to bother you unless you are Toulouse. Oh I guess they call it Occitanie region now. My grandmother’s family has lived there probably since the dawn of time.” That was where her grandmother’s vast estate existed, and it was nice and quiet because it had plenty of acreage it was at least a 4 hour walk into town if one where to walk. If there was one thing her grandmother valued, it was privacy she knew when to expose just enough to catch a rodent in a trap everything else stayed locked away tight. “The weather is a bit warmer than here as its boarders Spain so we are closer to the equator, but it can still get decently chilly in the winter. I recommend doing the tourist stuff at least once in the off seasons and then go find the historical quieter places.”

She would catch the small hint of a apologetic notion in Margo’s eyes but until she got to know her better, she would question its sincerity. Watching people be fake or manipulative was something she was used to which is what made her pick up on people’s undertones so well. It was a skill she had honed for 4 years.

When the girl said her favorite subject was potions a small smile played at the corners of her lips. “The same actually that and herbology. I help my mom make potions at home well the parts that can happen without magic use anyway and we have a decently sized garden where she grows ingredients and a small portion inside for the trickier ingredients.” Those were the ingredients that she wasn’t allowed to help with she could stand by and watch but she wasn’t allowed to touch.

That was when the girl brought up playing a game or cards and for the first time her face faltered from its stony state. She didn’t know how to play games as she had never played any at home her parents were always too busy to play games and her grandmother thought they were silly. Her Grandparents in Ireland liked to play different games like word games nothing with cards though at least not with children. “I-uh… I’ve never actually played any card games before. I wouldn’t mind learning though I am a decently fast learner I’d like to think. If you have the patients to teach me.” 

"Wow, that's so cool." The second year remarked at Santario's description.

Margo tried to imagine a historical French village, and Santario roaming its alleyways. Without having actually been to a place anything like that, the young Slytherin was a little stuck, but that's what imagination's for, right? Margo just pictured Santario's home as her own and then made all the changes necessary. She imagined a sprawling estate where her, much more modern house stood, and a golden field of corn where the forest was. She imagined the air to be much dryer than in rainy Scotland and the sky a clear blue, without a cloud to be seen.

Of course, the places one visualised were often far from accurate, but it was fun to do so anyways. Margo smiled internally at the image she'd created, and then returned to the matter at hand- potions and herbology. The two girls both enjoyed the subjects, but for entirely different reasons. Whilst Margo enjoyed the exciting change they brought from growing up around people who specialised in what their wands achieved, Santario enjoyed them because of the fond memories she had of them.
"That's interesting too. Does your family live with your grandmother, or just close by?" She asked curiously, still trying to get information out of the girl, even though she'd just given a lot away. It seemed like Santario was from a mostly wizarding family- not that it mattered to Margo, but it was still good to know.

After Santario spoke again, Margo realised that she wouldn't be getting the competitive battle that she'd hoped for. No matter, she could teach Santario a game so they could play ruthlessly in the future. 

"Okay well, I know Gin Rummy. That's a good two player game. There's also Snap and Slap Jack, they're fun and easy to learn. I prefer Snap but whatever. Also- Oh wait" Margo rummaged through her bag once more. "UNO! This one's great." 

"Okay, so we have 7 cards each and the aim of the game is to get rid of them all from your hand. You have to match your card to the top card on the deck. So if you have a green and the card on top is green then you can put your card down."
Margo tried to explain, whilst nervously shuffling the cards in her hands. "So, uh, it's your choice if you want to play uno or maybe something easier like snap?"

•𝔐𝔞𝔯𝔤𝔬 𝔚𝔥𝔦𝔱𝔢 •

Santario had no problems giving away information that she would give to just anyone she met at Hogwarts it was other things that Margo wasn’t hitting on that would be harder to wriggle out of the girl. After all she more often than her parents knew watched her grandmother play political intrigue like the people around her were chess pieces and she was a master player. Santario had learned quite well from her grandmother and had deemed certain information of no consequence. “No, we live in a different country. We are in-between my parent’s respective families.” Santario noted that Margo asked similar questions to things she had heard other people ask her parents and her grandparents.

As Margo listed off the games she knew and then exclaimed that there was a game called uno and started to kind of explain it, it made it seem like the girl was more excited to play uno than the others. That made her choice easier. “Uno sounds just fine to me. It seems simple enough from what you have explained so far.” She watched Margo’s hands shuffle the deck. “Besides something a little more complicated seems like it will be more fun. Don’t you agree?” She asked moving her eyes back up to the girl’s face while she waited for cards to be dealt.