Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in
  Back

Ragged Things  PV November Morsus   Closed 

Green was cold.

Beside him, his bag stood an inch taller than he was and half empty, its ancient, cracked leather sporting tarnished brass buckles. Green could have sworn that brass didn't tarnish, but there he had it. Teeth chattering almost angrily, he pulled his robe closer around him, cursing the early autumn wind and looking for signage.

He was probably lying, he thought to himself bitterly, "'Just run into the pillars until you find it,' indeed," he growled to himself, gripping the strap on his luggage hard, feeling every bump through the ancient wheels.

Suddenly, SNAP. Draaaag.

Turning around horrified, Green's eyes widened to see one of the bag's rickety copper legs had snapped from its base, and lay spinning on the floor beside it. "Oh, come on! Are you serious?" He demanded, walking over to look at the bag's base, run fingers over the cracked metal. He hissed, jerking his hand back; the metal was sharp, and surprisingly hot. Kneeling on the cold concrete, he reached for the wheel with a trembling hand, muttering to himself and pulling his robes closer as he tried to jam the halves together again somehow, looking around himself wildly for some kind of reasonable adhesive.
Last edited by Rainier Green on 28th September 2018, 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Touch me, Midas; make me part of your design."
Encyclopedia Entry (and further history.)
Strength: 1; Agility: 12; Control: 10; Stamina: 7

For the first time since this fantastical whirlwind of adventure had began, November found himself alone.

He stood there, in that strange lonely limbo of a place known as a train station, people rushing back and forth around him, none of them sparing him so much as a glance. One small boy, caught between the slipstreams, invisible as the world rushed on without him.

He grabbed his big black trunk, far too large and unwieldy in the small, pale hands of a child, and tugged it to the platform he was supposed to, somehow step between, vanish into the wall as the kindly teacher had explained. Part of him still thought maybe they were all just having another joke at his expense, that those clever actors that had made it seem so real would all point and laugh as he smacked dead into the concrete. But when he looked there, there was another boy there, another oversized trunk.

This one was broken.

A torrent of feelings all rolled through his stomach at once at the sight of him, his hands shaking as his palms grew hot then cold. Could he-.... Did he-... He couldn't..... He did.

His breath caught in his throat as he made one careful step, then another. Soon he was standing over him, looming as the other children always called it, and before he could stop himself, the words slipped out.

"Do you need help?"

And it's a strange breed, a different kind of creature looks for love through the eye of a needle

Strength: 6 | Agility: 10 | Control: 10 | Stamina: 4

The boy startled at November's approach, bright, wild green eyes and a shock of curly brown hair spilling around his face soft and sleek, like cat's fur. At the same time, his hand loosened around the wheel, and it dropped from his grasp with a ping, clattering across the platform to plummet onto the tracks below. The boy raced after it, cursing, but stopped just above the gap, staring down. "Frog pus," he cursed, standing slowly. "Well, that's gone," he sighed, turning around to look at the shadow again, shoulders tight.

Good god, he looked like he was about to cry. Green let out a soft breath of relief as he approached him again, face soft.

Doesn't mean he's safe. He squared his shoulders, brought his chin up. "Kind of you to offer, though," he said, walking forward again, looking the boy up and down for signs that he might be going to the same place. "Everybody streaming past the way they do, it's a rare thing to see someone stop to help another. And you've clearly got no small burden of your own," he observed, looking November's bag up and down. "What did you bring with you? A library?" he asked, soft curiosity in his voice.
Last edited by Rainier Green on 26th May 2018, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Oh-.... Oh no-....." November gasped, his hands flying to his mouth as his eyes creased with the sting of unspent tears. He knew he shouldn't, knew that his being there at all would just make things worse, and what do you know, it did, the wheel bouncing away, never to be seen again.

The tall, pale boy was backing away now, trying to melt back into the shadows of the train station. But it was too late now. "I'm sorry," he murmured, his voice barely above a whisper, hiding now behind his massive black obelisk of a trunk, his pale hands shaking. "I shouldn't-... I should-.... I should just, go...." He shook his head hard, but something in him didn't want to move. After all, what was back there but the vast lost emptiness of busy station? He didn't even know if he could ever get through, and then he'd miss his train, and probably just have to go home, or, what passed for home for him.

So he didn't go, not just yet. He just hid behind his trunk like that would protect him, somehow. "It's... Just a bag," he mumbled in shy response to the other boy's questions, "it's got all my things in it... Everything I own...."

And it's a strange breed, a different kind of creature looks for love through the eye of a needle

Green's eyes creased in irritation as the tall boy apologized, shrinking behind his bag as if Green had raised his fist to him, or called him names. This boy was nearly twice his size! Where was his spine? Where was his fire? Pacing around the bag, Green put his hands on his hips. "Now, don't be like that," he huffed. "It's nobody's blasted fault, and I won't have that nonsense entertained," he shook his head, gesturing elegantly and dismissively. "And you were perfectly polite and could still be helpful, besides. Your bag's wheels look sturdy enough," he said, poking at the wheel with the toe of a worn leather shoe. "And you look like you might be able to carry mine," he said, looking at the boy's shoulders, his arms. A veritable redwood of quivering apologies.

Good lord, did he look terrified.

Green sighed, the anger suddenly draining out of him. "Look, it's really not that bad. And if you beat yourself up before anyone else can do it for you, your enemies are just going to have more energy to do it later. Blame fate, blame me for jumping, blame the wind for making my fingers shake, but don't blame yourself."

November shrunk back as Green stepped forward, his long, gangly body curling around itself, as if trying to make itself small enough to pop into nothingness. He shook his head at the words he spoke, as if bewildered by the concepts held within them, confused and disbelieving. "No, I-..." But the other boy just kept right on talking, as if he hadn't said a word, as if all of this were perfectly normal and natural.

"I-... I suppose I could carry your bag for you," he mumbled, voice small and soft and scared, "I mean, it would only be fair..." He sighed, clung to his trunk with enough force to white his knuckles. Maybe he could fix this, it wasn't over yet. He'd carry the other boy's bag for him, and in exchange, he wouldn't hate him.

Then the boy spoke again, and the confusion was back in force. "But-... I startled you," he murmured, his dark eyes pleading as they locked with the other's, "If I hadn't, you'd have never dropped it..." He sighed, his expression and mannerisms entirely lost. In fact, he couldn't understand why the boy wasn't more mad at him. What could he be trying to do?

Green watched the boy apologize with growing ire in the pit of his belly, boiling and bubbling and making him feel as if he might be sick. The cringing, whinging thing before him made him feel like a monster, made him feel like stepping forward and biting him in the arm. At least then he'd have cause to wince. At least then he'd see him, instead of seeing nothing but his own perceived ineptitude. His lip curled.

"Certainly I might have,"the boy spit back vehemently, brow furrowed. "Someone could have bumped into me, or a train whistle might have gone off, or I could simply have slipped, and then it wouldn't matter whether you startled me or not, would it? And even if you hadn't, how was I going to fix this?" he asked, gesturing at the wheel. "A bit of spit and a wad of gum, perhaps? I don't even have any," he grunted. "My best bet was to get someone who knows a repairing charm to do me the favor once at school..." He leaned against the boy's bag, intending to push it along. It didn't budge; November had a death grip on it.

He paused, glared at the boy. "Or you could help me get it back."

November's head tilted as he stared at the other boy in utter bafflement, tried to piece together why he seemed to be getting angrier and angrier and angrier at him, yet vehemently insisting that he hadn't done anything wrong. It made no sense at all, had to be some kind of joke or strange prank, one that the children at the orphanage had simply never thought to try on him before. He was frozen in his bafflement, not daring to move so much as a hair, or even breathe, for fear of the wrong choice setting this unpredictable encounter off further.

And then he spoke again, and November knew the score.

He gulped, looked out across the tracks. Trains roared by, the speed of their passing enough to gust a cold wind across his skin, ruffle his hair. "You-...." He looked back to the other, his gaze pleading for elucidation that this was anything but what he thought it was. "You want me to go down there?" His voice was near silent, terrified, but then he looked away, resigned. "A-alright," he said, his little feet already taking careful, halting steps towards the tracks, that brilliant yellow line beyond which was the drop.

Green stared up at the boy in baffled fury as he stared down at him in equal confusion. Why was this moppish thing looking at him like that? Frozen and terrified, as if a blow might come at any second? He hasn't threatened him. He hadn't even insinuated anything. Was it him, or did the boy simply respond to everything that way? The thought only made him madder, made his chest boil.

And then he stepped towards the edge of the platform, and his heart nearly stopped.

"Wait! No! Are you crazy?" Green snapped, rushing out in front of him, arms up, eyes wide. "You'll get yourself killed that way! Even if you don't get flattened, the rail's electric, and god only knows which one," he huffed, looking down at them over his shoulder as if they might leap up and bite.

"No. I said help me get it back, not get it back for me. That implies a cooperation, not a dictation," he raised his chin, hands on his hips. "You're tall and probably heavy, but I'm small and light and fairly quick. I'll get the protective gloves from my bag, slip them on, and then you can lower me down there. As long as you're quick enough in pulling me back up, I don't see what the worry is; frankly, even if a train came, I could probably fit in the gap between it and the platform..."

November drew back, startled, as the other boy leapt in front of him. Just as things were beginning to make sense again, they were dashed into the swirling chaos of confusion once more. He thought he'd finally grasped the point of all this, and here was this tiny, spitfire boy yelling at him again, like he had done it wrong. Maybe that was the game, that whatever thing he chose would be the wrong one.

"I thought that was-.... Never mind," he mumbled, his narrow shoulders drooping like a dried and withered stem. He listened that way, quiet and bowed, as the other boy explained his plan to get his missing wheel back, but this gave November pause, made him shake his head. "But-... If you go down there, won't you get hurt or killed too? No, you-... You really shouldn't-..." He thought of the tiny boy dropping down into the tracks, of that bright snapping fire crushed beneath unforgiving steel wheels. "N-no," he insisted, more vehemently now, "I'll never be able to get you up in time, you can't, you just can't...." The fear was gone in his voice, replaced with something else. A, conflict, of some sort, unknowable to any on the outside.

Unknowingly, Green let out a silent sigh of relief as the taller boy's fear fell away, his shoulders untensing, brow unknotting. "Well, I suppose," he admitted, as if the idea of his head being smashed apart like a watermelon at a Gallagher concert were only a minor snag. "But it's my wheel. That means it's my responsibility... and anyway, anything a train does would probably be better than what my uncle does," he sighed into the cool autumn wind, the sound around them strangely hushed by the sound of voices and footsteps around them. Somewhere, a train dinged quietly, chugged off from its place with a healthy mechanical heartbeat, taking its load of travelers and business people off to who-cared-where.

Green let out a sigh, looking at the wheel again. "Probably pointless getting it back even so. The damn thing's been broken so many times that one more probably won't last," he breathed, feeling the emptiness of his wallet clench tighter than the emptiness of his stomach. The wind ruffled past, and his teeth chattered, making him pull his cloak around him tighter again. "Maybe it would be best just to get to the platform. It wouldn't kill me to build some muscle and carry the thing, anyway,"he said, looking up at November oblivious to what was going on in his head.
Last edited by Rainier Green on 27th May 2018, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I-, I'll get you a new wheel, I promise," November urged, one slender little hand reaching just the tiniest bit forward towards the other, but then snatching back at the last instant, as if catching himself. "I'll carry your bag too, just, don't get squished by a train....." his little brows were knitted together with terror and concern, and once again he looked like he was holding back tears.

He sighed, looked around, his big brown eyes taking in the busy station, the empty wall where their platform was supposed to be and simply, wasn't. "Um," he began, looking from the wall to the other boy and back again, "do you know how to get to the right platform? That is where you're going, right? Nine and three quarters?" His head cocked as he took in his companion, dressed in the same dark robes as he was, with the same archaic traveling trunk, if somewhat worse for wear. "The nice fellow that took me to the shops told me how, but, now I think I must not have heard him right..." He scratched his head, staring at that wall. It looked as solid as anything else in the room, though then again, so had those bricks that slid open to reveal Diagon Alley.

Green turned to look up at November's hand as it came towards him, eyes strangely soft, softer than the the taller boy had seen on him so far; when November snatched it back, he swallowed, eyes falling a little, looking sad. His fingers twitched.

Then he took a breath, tilted his head high, and stretched his neck from side to side. "Nonsense. I'm not going to get squished. I'm made of sterner stuff than that - the train would crumple around me like a paper bag," He grinned at November, all bravado. "But anyway, we can try to figure out how to transfigure some junk into a new one," he patted the boy on the back, squeezing his elbow (though he had been aiming for his shoulder.)

"Yes, that's where I'm going, too," sighed Green. "Where ever /that/ is. My father told me I had to just close my eyes and run through the wall halfway between platforms 9 and 10, but frankly, I suspect he's playing a joke," he muttered, eyeing the platforms darkly. "I don't even see any walls, just large pillars." He looked up at November, head tilted, soft hair falling to one side. "Are you really going to help me?" he asked wonderingly.
Last edited by Rainier Green on 29th September 2018, 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"I-... I don't think that's how trains work," November mumbled, suppressing a giggle, "but I'll just get you a new one, it'll be alright..." He smiled a little, the expression slightly awkward and out of place on his face. The gentle pat on his back and elbow made him startle a bit, his body clearly not used to kind and gentle touch, but he swiftly straightened out, smoothed down his clothing as if the reaction hadn't happened at all. He didn't want to upset the other again so soon, after all.

His eyes went wide as the boy regaled him with the same tall tale the teacher had told November, apparently this time from the other boy's father. "Wait, really? But that's the same thing the other fellow just told me..." He shook his head, his little hand reaching up to grip his chin as he pondered this oddity. "So if they both told us the same story, either they're conspiring against us, or it's actually right... I don't think they would conspire against us, I doubt they'd ever even met, don't you think?" he looked back to the other for confirmation. After all, he wouldn't have known himself, having just gotten to this strange wizarding world.

Green smiled a little wider as November, giggled, eyes glinting. "Yeah, it'll be alright," he agreed, squeezing November's arm gently, rolling his shoulders back. The boy smiled as if he were afraid that doing so might invoke disaster, but that made the smile all the more worthy; it was brave. Green liked brave.

Green hummed, brow furrowing at November's analysis. "You're right, that doesn't make sense. Each telling tales on their own, sure, that could happen. But both telling the same tale? Wouldn't happen unless it was something like a school tradition, right?" he asked, looking at November. "Like telling kids about Santa Claus and then laughing when they don't get any presents, or something like that. But it's mostly other kids who do pranks like that, isn't it?" he hummed. Putting his hand on his hips, he scanned left and right, thin lips screwing up into an expression of intense scrutiny. "I suppose we could test the walls..." He scanned over the platform, taking a few steps forward. "Tap on the brick, see it there are wheel markings leading up to any. You wouldn't know anything about tracking, would you?" he asked, looking up at November as if the young man might be hiding a wilderness survival guide in his pocket.
Last edited by Rainier Green on 27th May 2018, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Back