Register
Sign in
14 Jun 2019, 12:34
 Tutorial  How to Make an Encyclopedia Page
Your Encyclopedia Page is a page where you describe your character, chronicle your character in the site's timeline and the method by which we document your stats so that you can participate in Quidditch matches, dueling, adventures or contribute to the main story of the site. This serves as a resource for other players that wish to roleplay with you so that they can understand your character better and for moderators as this is a repository of all of your statistical information.

How Do you Become Registered:
  1. Write a Character Page in the Character section of the Encyclopedia. (Link
  2. Post in the Registration Thread in the Character section of the Encyclopedia after you have made yourself a Character Page. (Link) You may be the only one that appears to have posted in this thread because we soft-delete posts when they have been taken care of.
  3. Once your character has been approved by a staff member, your name will be added to Character Index (Link) by a moderator. You do not need to do anything more for this unless a moderator contacts you stating that they require additional information. The Character Index is what the staff uses to graduate players every year, so you must be on the Character Index to graduate to the next year by July 1 of each year.
  4. Consider applying for a Special Race or Ability. To apply for a special race or ability, post in THIS THREAD. If you would like more information regarding these specialty races review this thread for more information.
  5. Update your Character Sheet as needed. Keep it pretty and up to date. As you learn more spells, gain more stats or special abilities you will need to have that information added by a moderator to your trunk. To get your trunk updated please post in the Encyclopedia Update Form found in the Character section of the Encyclopedia. (Link)

This is the "Game Master" account. Please do not owl this account, unless specified. This account is not moderated actively and therefore, you may not receive a response.

Contact a Head of House or the Headmaster if you need anything.
14 Jun 2019, 12:49
What Should be in my Encyclopedia?

You can be as fancy and as inclusive as you would like or you can keep the information you provide in your Encyclopedia quite simple. The more information that you provide the better it will be for those that you wish to roleplay with. At a very minimum we need you to provide us with 2 posts in your Encyclopedia Thread.

1.) A Basic Character Post. This post would contain basic information about your character such as their name, their school year, their race, age, wand, history. You can be as detailed as you would like providing more information if you wish but you need to at the very least provide the following basic information:
Full Name:
House:
School Year:
Patronus:
(Not applicable until 6th years)Species: (Human, Vampire, Veela, etc. - must be registered) and approved.
History/Background Story: This would be your character’s life prior to Hogwarts as well as what has happened during your time at Hogwarts.
2.) A Trunk Post. This post will be the repository for where you place your stats, where all the spells and potions you learn will go and a list of any special abilities you might have will be listed. You post the initial post. The poster will be changed to the Game Master account by a moderator. This is done to prevent cheating or changing stuff on the sly. To update your statistics, add new potions, abilities and spells post in the Encyclopedia Update Form. (Link)
3.) Optional Posts. Some players have chronological accounts of every thread that they have ever been in, what relationships their character has with other characters, etc. These are optional posts that you can choose to have or choose not to have.  
4.) Adding New Posts After Your Trunk. You can make new posts after your trunk has been approved if you want to expand your Encyclopedia page. The only moderator controlled post is your trunk. Please do not make a new thread for your encyclopedia when you wish to add new stuff or make changes, please edit your original encyclopedia.
While we allow players the ability to edit their threads in the encyclopedia area for the purpose of updating their stats, bio, making their encyclopedia more aesthetically pleasing, etc. Major updates to your character's already approved backstory would need to be approved by the index staff. Small additions such as clarifying that your father's name is Daniel or that you used to vacation in Germany during the summers is not a major change to your backstory but if you are adding a major element to your backstory, removing portions of your backstory or changing parts of your backstory all together, then you need to go through the index team for approval.

This is the "Game Master" account. Please do not owl this account, unless specified. This account is not moderated actively and therefore, you may not receive a response.

14 Jun 2019, 16:18
Formatting My Encyclopedia

You might notice that we have everything from the utilitarian basic profile to the grand profile that goes over every detail of a player character and uses a variety of BB codes, pictures and even fonts. You can be as fancy or as simple as you like when you make an encyclopedia page. This post serves as tips for formatting.

1.) All Encyclopedias require a Character Sheet. A Character Sheet contains the following:

Full Name:

House:
School Year:
Patronus: (Not applicable until 6th years)
Species: (Human, Vampire, Veela, etc. - must be registered) and approved.
History/Background Story: This would be your character’s life prior to Hogwarts as well as what has happened during your time at Hogwarts.
The most utilitarian approach is to simply fill in the following code:

Code: Select all

[u]Full Name:
[/u]
[u]House:[/u]
[u]Age: [/u]
[u]Wand: [/u]
[u]School Year:[/u]
[u]Patronus:[/u] (Not applicable until 6th years)
[u]Species:[/u]
[u]History/Background Story:[/u]
If you want to do something fancier you can simply add a header, a footer or a side picture. Great options would be using a Signature Font Generator such as mylivesignature.com or cool online tool's signature generator for instance. There are hundreds of options similar to these online that you can find with a basic search engine. Find one that you like and make use of it. Another option is to search for an image header. A quick google search can satisfy this. Another option would be to find a picture of your character and use that.

I am going to provide an optional sample formats, but you can do anything that you wish in terms of formatting as long as it is legible. Yes, you have permission to use this and I have a copy of the code below.

Headmaster of Hogwarts

Date of Birth: November 20th
Weight: 250 pounds
Height: 6 foot
Build: Surprisingly muscular
Species: Human (I am all man)
A wand of Aspen Wood with a Phoenix Feather Core that is  22.3 centimeters long and is inflexible. According to Ollivander this wand is attracted to unnaturally lucky wizards.

Aspen Wood: Wand-quality aspen wood is white and fine-grained, and highly prized by all wand-makers for its stylish resemblance to ivory and its usually outstanding charm work. The proper owner of the aspen wand is often an accomplished duelist, or destined to be so, for the aspen wand is one of those particularly suited to martial magic. An infamous and secretive eighteenth-century dueling club, which called itself The Silver Spears, was reputed to admit only those who owned aspen wands. In my experience, aspen wand owners are generally strong-minded and determined, more likely than most to be attracted by quests and new orders; this is a wand for revolutionaries.

Phoenix Feather: This is the rarest core type. Phoenix feathers are capable of the greatest range of magic, though they may take longer than either unicorn or dragon cores to reveal this. They show the most initiative, sometimes acting of their own accord, a quality that many witches and wizards dislike.

Phoenix feather wands are always the pickiest when it comes to potential owners, for the creature from which they are taken is one of the most independent and detached in the world. These wands are the hardest to tame and to personalize, and their allegiance is usually hard won.
Patronus: Unicorn. Witches and wizards who have a Unicorn patronus are said to be outgoing, energetic, smart, and unique. That's the good news. The bad news is that they can also be self-centered, attention-starved, restless, and excessively eccentric. Image
I was born on  cold and dreary day on the twentieth of November in Kidsgrove, England in 1973 to a one Richard and Elisa Lear. My youth was privileged most would say, I was tutored by a private tutor in literature and the arts. My parents were pure-bloods and I was an only child, although I have some half-siblings according to my aunt due to my father's 'gallivanting' that I suppose I might have gotten from him.

My first instance of magic was when I was three, that age where children hide behind their mothers skirts whenever they see a stranger. I was playing in my yard when a lady friend of my father's stopped by, she greeted me cordially of course but I was terrified of anything that was not my mother at the time and she was nowhere to be seen. So I screamed - it was this shrill cry that shattered my father's crystal bottle of bourbon that was on the table. My father took the incident in good humor despite the fact that there was a waste of 'good drink.' I am certain that most pure-blood parents feel the same with that first incident, there is this fear that perhaps their child would be a squib. That is one of the many reasons pure-blood families attempt to maintain their bloodlines as they do -- to stack the deck in their children's favor.

I was accepted into Hogwarts at the age of 11. I was not leaving much, my childhood friends were about my age and in the same magical circles socially, so they also went to Hogwarts when they came of age. I did not meet my first muggle until I was a teenager. I had never been away from home for so long but my parents were somewhat distant as wealthy parents often are. They were not unkind or unloving, they simply had a great deal of other matters to attend to besides me. I was under the watchful eye of a nanny, I did miss her I suppose because she was much like a surrogate parent to me. I look back on those days now and I realize that she was a brilliant woman, it was unfortunate she was of mixed heritage.

My years in Hogwarts were like that of my predecessors - shenanigans and first loves. Good and bad grades. I met my wife while in Hogwarts, she was a special guest my sixth year in Hogwarts at a ball. The most lovely thing in the room, I was enamored by her and she was not even a Veela. She was what compelled me to study magical creatures, it was my excuse to study her and her family. It was also what ultimately got me a date with her and eventually a wedding a year after I graduated Hogwarts. I graduated from Hogwarts, class of 1991 and I was married in 1992.

After I graduated Hogwarts with honors I traveled the world and learned as much as I could about the magical creatures of this world. There were so many left untamed and it was my dignity and honor to tame them all. I would find fame in 1999 when I tamed a Doxy, a pest creature of course but previous to this time not considered a potential pet. I would hone my skill and tame larger and more dangerous creatures, eventually a Chimera in 2015.

I should not have gotten married so young, I had a wandering eye. I believe she knew, for whatever reason she tolerated it. We had a son and a daughter. My daughter's name was Anya and my son's name was Edric. My wife primarily raised them, I was too busy enjoying the fame I had earned in the magical community. My children barely knew me, rather they knew of me and occasionally spent a few hours in my dignified presence. I used them for my fame, something I regret now. I was a well-known advocate for intermingling magical species, using my family as an example. My wife was a vampire and my children were both dhampirs. I debated that magical creatures such as vampires and extended this to cursed creatures such as lycanotropes as well, were capable of being a part of mainstream magical society. It was something that was my heart's passion but I campaigned for such in a gregarious manner, I was seeking attention and I was putting a spotlight on my children.

My children suffered for my foolishness. A hunter broken into my home while I was away as I often was and it was well-documented in the media because I shared where I was at all times. We were in Japan at the time, I was studying the lore of the Oni a few towns away. My wife and children were attacked during the day. My wife was sleeping as were my children at the time. My wife and son only barely got away with their lives, unfortunately my daughter Anya was slain with a sword.

Distraught, I turned to dark magics and I tried to raise her. I failed, at the expense of my youth and vanity. My relationship with Morgantha crumbled, not that it was stable in the first place. She blamed me (and she was right) for Anya's death. Pent-up frustrations regarding my dalliances with other women coupled with the loss of my youth and my decision to try to raise her culminated in a fight that turned violent. She tried to kill me. She might have succeeded had I not spent as many years as I had studying her kind, I would have made a great hunter had I had such proclivities for violence.

I left her and I took up residence in Hogwarts as a Professor of Magical Creatures in 2015, one month after my daughter's death. I have not seen my son since, I am certain he would be poisoned against me. He would be 11 this year, old enough to join Hogwarts although I doubt Morgantha would let him come and I am not entirely certain I would want or trust him here either. She tried to kill me through poisoning in 2016, draught of living death mixed into my drink. Had it been a few years earlier it would have worked, while I still enjoy a good butterbeer, it do not consume what I once had. It was my friend that drank the elixir. He fell subject to the brew within minutes. Call me sentimental, I tried to cover for her, claim that he was killed on safari with me but there were too many witnesses. She was sent away, but she escaped prison a year and a half ago. I have not yet encountered her but I have prepared some defenses just in case.

I became Headmaster last fall in 2018.

Solomon is a man who appears to be prematurely old. While he is only forty-four years of age, his weathered features suggest a man of twice that. With thinning grey hair, a full, well-groomed beard and a bushy brow, he looks more like someone's grandfather than old enough to be a student's father. Deep creases - crowfeet and worry lines across his brow suggest a hard life, a bit of ruddiness in his cheeks and a potato nose suggest that he might have found comfort at the bottom of a bottle.

Despite his appearance of being aged, he is far from debilitated. Beneath leather-wrapped plate armor, embossed with what appear to be runes that are difficult to discern due to age and use, one might wonder if they had lost some of their power which they may have or they may not, is a vital man. He is rather muscular, while the plate armor hides a lot Solomon is quite physically strong. [Reference: Master Roshi when flexing.]

Solomon was in his youth a fame-seeking glory hound. He enjoyed the prestige his acclaim as a trainer afforded him and he used it to his advantage. He was not the best of men, self-indulgent he enjoyed life in excess. He was not a bad man but he could have been better, to himself, to others and of course to his wife. With age he has come to regret his many transgressions. His life is more settled now since he changed career paths and became a Professor at Hogwarts, but he is still haunted by his sins of his past.

The death of his daughter Anya affected him. It was due to his thoughtlessness and his want to be the center of attention that she was ever placed in harm's way. Perhaps that was in part why he decided to oversee students. It is for certain the reason he protects them with a paranoid fervor. He does not feel that others have the best interests of the children at heart, like most others their priority is themselves and the children are secondary to that. He saw that during the Masked and Glove theft at the Ministry where the former Headmaster refused to alert the students or the parents of the students to the potential danger lurking on the grounds. Of course he is a hypocrite, it is one of Hogwarts best kept secrets -- the identity of lycanoptropes as well as some other magical hybrid students on Hogwarts grounds.

Solomon is seen by most presently as an eccentric. For those that remembered him from mentions in tabloids and the paper -- Solomon Lear was at one point a household name. Known for being adventurous and brave, for dealing with dangerous magical creatures successfully and frequent dalliances with women that were not his wife. There was a mixture of good and bad of course regarding Solomon Lear known to the media at that time. However, he has been out of the media eye for the past four almost five years. Since his daughter's death that is, he is considered to be a recluse comparatively despite the fact that his present role as Hogwarts Headmaster is well known.

The face that people see now is more casual, if not jovial. At least he tries, but he is naturally a serious man who is more angry or nervous than playful. This shows through of course, he can be a bit unsettling in fact for those that notice the cracks in his facade. His choice to wear armor, considered to be a curious one. He likes to stand out a bit, one could claim that this had something to do with his vanity.

Presently estranged from his wife, Morgantha Solomon has not been seen in the company of another woman since the loss of his daughter. Legally they are still married, but they are not on good terms. According to a media report a few years ago, Morgantha tried to kill Solomon by lacing his cocktail with an elixir of living death that was erroneously given to another patron, a friend of Solomon's Bucky O'Dell. Morgantha was sentenced to a lengthy prison term, being immortal herself, she escaped last year and has been at large. She is one of the few entities Solomon actually fears (yes, this would be his Bogart).

• Women
  • Butterbeer, as well as harder drinks
  • Adventure
  • Glory
  • Fame
Dislikes
  • His wife, Morgantha
  • Children being harmed
  • Dark magic
  • Tabloids
  • The taste/smell of fish
Ambitions:
  • To resurrect his daughter (attempted already and failed)
  • To kill his wife (trying)
  • Protect the students of Hogwarts.
Above is an example of a very basic table set-up. I have pictures to the right and I have written words on the left. These tables do auto-size, so be careful how much information you place on either side and the quality of the pictures that you use. The code that I used for this would look something like the following:

Code: Select all

[quote][center][img]My name from a signature generator site[/img]
[color=#5b0f00][size=75]Insert House and year here![/size][/color][/center]

[table][tr][td][color=#5b0f00][b]Age:[/b] 
[b]Date of Birth:[/b] 
[b]Weight:[/b] 
[b]Height:[/b] 
[b]Build:[/b] 
[b]Species:[/b] [/color][/td]
[td][color=#5b0f00][img]Copied my own avatar, how sexy am I.[/img][/color][/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td][color=#5b0f00][img]Image Taken from a signature generator site.[/img][/color][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td][color=#5b0f00]Information regarding this wand.[/color][/td]
[td][color=#5b0f00][img]Copied the image of my wand from Ollivander's Shop[/img][/color][/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td][color=#5b0f00][img]Picture made on a signature generator site.[/img][/color][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[tr][td][color=#5b0f00][b]Patronus:[/b] Insert Information regarding Patronus Here. Not relevant until the 6th year so you can very easily keep this blank or talk about what you would hope to be.[/color][/td]
[td][img]Insert Patronus Picture Here[/img][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
[img]I used a signature site to use the word Biography here[/img]
[img]I used a signature site to use the word Character Description here[img]
[/quote]

14 Jun 2019, 17:05
How do I Make an in-depth Character Description for my Encyclopedia?

There are three things you can describe about your character.
  1. Their physical description. This would be their eye color, their height, their build, the clothes that they wear, the way they wear their hair. If you are role-playing a physical handicap of some sort please be sensitive regarding how you display it.
  2. Their mental description. How do they think? If you are role playing a mental illness of some sort please be sensitive regarding how you display it. 
  3. Their personality. How do they interact with others. How do others perceive them? How do they try to be perceived.
Starting with a physical description, it is good to use a picture for reference. Some players use anime, paintings, photographs, etc. to find the body type and the appearance that they are looking for. Start there.

Using my character as an example.
Solomon is a man who appears to be prematurely old. While he is only forty-four years of age, his weathered features suggest a man of twice that. With thinning grey hair, a full, well-groomed beard and a bushy brow, he looks more like someone's grandfather than old enough to be a student's father. Deep creases - crowfeet and worry lines across his brow suggest a hard life, a bit of ruddiness in his cheeks and a potato nose suggest that he might have found comfort at the bottom of a bottle. 

Despite his appearance of being aged, he is far from debilitated. Beneath leather-wrapped plate armor, embossed with what appear to be runes that are difficult to discern due to age and use, one might wonder if they had lost some of their power which they may have or they may not, is a vital man. He is rather muscular, while the plate armor hides a lot Solomon is quite physically strong. [Reference: Master Roshi when flexing.]
Moving onto mental descriptions. Think about how your character thinks. Why they think the way that they do. This might not be how they act, but it might influence their choices and their interactions with other people. Perhaps an event shaped how they think and is worth mentioning.

Again, using my character as an example.
Solomon was in his youth a fame-seeking glory hound. He enjoyed the prestige his acclaim as a trainer afforded him and he used it to his advantage. He was not the best of men, self-indulgent he enjoyed life in excess. He was not a bad man but he could have been better, to himself, to others and of course to his wife. With age he has come to regret his many transgressions. His life is more settled now since he changed career paths and became a Professor at Hogwarts, but he is still haunted by his sins of his past. 

The death of his daughter Anya affected him. It was due to his thoughtlessness and his want to be the center of attention that she was ever placed in harm's way. Perhaps that was in part why he decided to oversee students. It is for certain the reason he protects them with a paranoid fervor. He does not feel that others have the best interests of the children at heart, like most others their priority is themselves and the children are secondary to that. He saw that during the Masked and Glove theft at the Ministry where the former Headmaster refused to alert the students or the parents of the students to the potential danger lurking on the grounds. Of course he is a hypocrite, it is one of Hogwarts best kept secrets -- the identity of lycanoptropes as well as some other magical hybrid students on Hogwarts grounds.
Moving onto their personality. This is how they are seen by others. The face they show the world.

Again, using my character as an example.
Solomon is seen by most presently as an eccentric. For those that remembered him from mentions in tabloids and the paper -- Solomon Lear was at one point a household name. Known for being adventurous and brave, for dealing with dangerous magical creatures successfully and frequent dalliances with women that were not his wife. There was a mixture of good and bad of course regarding Solomon Lear known to the media at that time. However, he has been out of the media eye for the past four almost five years. Since his daughter's death that is, he is considered to be a recluse comparatively despite the fact that his present role as Hogwarts Headmaster is well known. 

The face that people see now is more casual, if not jovial. At least he tries, but he is naturally a serious man who is more angry or nervous than playful. This shows through of course, he can be a bit unsettling in fact for those that notice the cracks in his facade. His choice to wear armor, considered to be a curious one. He likes to stand out a bit, one could claim that this had something to do with his vanity.

Presently estranged from his wife, Morgantha Solomon has not been seen in the company of another woman since the loss of his daughter. Legally they are still married, but they are not on good terms. According to a media report a few years ago, Morgantha tried to kill Solomon by lacing his cocktail with an elixir of living death that was erroneously given to another patron, a friend of Solomon's Bucky O'Dell. Morgantha was sentenced to a lengthy prison term, being immortal herself, she escaped last year and has been at large. She is one of the few entities Solomon actually fears (yes, this would be his Bogart).
Consider listing their likes, dislikes, ambitions and goals.

• Women
  • Butterbeer, as well as harder drinks
  • Adventure
  • Glory
  • Fame
Dislikes
  • His wife, Morgantha
  • Children being harmed
  • Dark magic
  • Tabloids
  • The taste/smell of fish
Ambitions:
  • To resurrect his daughter (attempted already and failed)
  • To kill his wife (trying)
  • Protect the students of Hogwarts.

14 Jun 2019, 17:22
I am Having Difficulties Writing a Biography For My Character.

When writing a biography for your character, a lot of players mix up describing their character with their character's history or they simply start and stop with their genealogy. The fact that you like ice cream and the color pink are character traits, not a character history. Your genealogy is where you start of course but consider the following questions:

1. Where and when were you born?
  2. Who were your parents?
  3. Were you an only child? If yes, how did that effect you? If no, tell us about your siblings - who is older, younger and how did this effect you?
  4. Did you grow up in a magical household?
  5. How does your family feel about magic? How do they feel about muggles?
  6. If you are a special race/ability, talk about that. How did it enter your family line? How has this effected you growing up if at all?
  7. Did anything relevant happen to you during your early childhood? If so, what?
  8. Did you ever go to school? Was it a muggle school or a basic school where other magical children attended? Were you home-schooled? We presume you are literate in character so you had to learn to read or write somewhere.
  9. Did you have any friends growing up before Hogwarts?
  10. When did your magic first surface?
  11. When you got your letter of acceptance to Hogwarts, how did your life change? 
  12. Once you have entered Hogwarts, discuss your life and the years as you experienced them.
Using my character as an example again:
I was born on  cold and dreary day on the twentieth of November in Kidsgrove, England in 1973 to a one Richard and Elisa Lear. My youth was privileged most would say, I was tutored by a private tutor in literature and the arts. My parents were pure-bloods and I was an only child, although I have some half-siblings according to my aunt due to my father's 'gallivanting' that I suppose I might have gotten from him. 

My first instance of magic was when I was three, that age where children hide behind their mothers skirts whenever they see a stranger. I was playing in my yard when a lady friend of my father's stopped by, she greeted me cordially of course but I was terrified of anything that was not my mother at the time and she was nowhere to be seen. So I screamed - it was this shrill cry that shattered my father's crystal bottle of bourbon that was on the table. My father took the incident in good humor despite the fact that there was a waste of 'good drink.' I am certain that most pure-blood parents feel the same with that first incident, there is this fear that perhaps their child would be a squib. That is one of the many reasons pure-blood families attempt to maintain their bloodlines as they do -- to stack the deck in their children's favor.

I was accepted into Hogwarts at the age of 11. I was not leaving much, my childhood friends were about my age and in the same magical circles socially, so they also went to Hogwarts when they came of age. I did not meet my first muggle until I was a teenager. I had never been away from home for so long but my parents were somewhat distant as wealthy parents often are. They were not unkind or unloving, they simply had a great deal of other matters to attend to besides me. I was under the watchful eye of a nanny, I did miss her I suppose because she was much like a surrogate parent to me. I look back on those days now and I realize that she was a brilliant woman, it was unfortunate she was of mixed heritage. 

My years in Hogwarts were like that of my predecessors - shenanigans and first loves. Good and bad grades. I met my wife while in Hogwarts, she was a special guest my sixth year in Hogwarts at a ball. The most lovely thing in the room, I was enamored by her and she was not even a Veela. She was what compelled me to study magical creatures, it was my excuse to study her and her family. It was also what ultimately got me a date with her and eventually a wedding a year after I graduated Hogwarts. I graduated from Hogwarts, class of 1991 and I was married in 1992. 

After I graduated Hogwarts with honors I traveled the world and learned as much as I could about the magical creatures of this world. There were so many left untamed and it was my dignity and honor to tame them all. I would find fame in 1999 when I tamed a Doxy, a pest creature of course but previous to this time not considered a potential pet. I would hone my skill and tame larger and more dangerous creatures, eventually a Chimera in 2015. 

I should not have gotten married so young, I had a wandering eye. I believe she knew, for whatever reason she tolerated it. We had a son and a daughter. My daughter's name was Anya and my son's name was Edric. My wife primarily raised them, I was too busy enjoying the fame I had earned in the magical community. My children barely knew me, rather they knew of me and occasionally spent a few hours in my dignified presence. I used them for my fame, something I regret now. I was a well-known advocate for intermingling magical species, using my family as an example. My wife was a vampire and my children were both dhampirs. I debated that magical creatures such as vampires and extended this to cursed creatures such as lycanotropes as well, were capable of being a part of mainstream magical society. It was something that was my heart's passion but I campaigned for such in a gregarious manner, I was seeking attention and I was putting a spotlight on my children. 

My children suffered for my foolishness. A hunter broken into my home while I was away as I often was and it was well-documented in the media because I shared where I was at all times. We were in Japan at the time, I was studying the lore of the Oni a few towns away. My wife and children were attacked during the day. My wife was sleeping as were my children at the time. My wife and son only barely got away with their lives, unfortunately my daughter Anya was slain with a sword. 

Distraught, I turned to dark magics and I tried to raise her. I failed, at the expense of my youth and vanity. My relationship with Morgantha crumbled, not that it was stable in the first place. She blamed me (and she was right) for Anya's death. Pent-up frustrations regarding my dalliances with other women coupled with the loss of my youth and my decision to try to raise her culminated in a fight that turned violent. She tried to kill me. She might have succeeded had I not spent as many years as I had studying her kind, I would have made a great hunter had I had such proclivities for violence. 

I left her and I took up residence in Hogwarts as a Professor of Magical Creatures in 2015, one month after my daughter's death. I have not seen my son since, I am certain he would be poisoned against me. He would be 11 this year, old enough to join Hogwarts although I doubt Morgantha would let him come and I am not entirely certain I would want or trust him here either. She tried to kill me through poisoning in 2016, draught of living death mixed into my drink. Had it been a few years earlier it would have worked, while I still enjoy a good butterbeer, it do not consume what I once had. It was my friend that drank the elixir. He fell subject to the brew within minutes. Call me sentimental, I tried to cover for her, claim that he was killed on safari with me but there were too many witnesses. She was sent away, but she escaped prison a year and a half ago. I have not yet encountered her but I have prepared some defenses just in case.

I became Headmaster last fall in 2018. 

15 Sep 2020, 15:14
What Sort of Things Will Not be Accepted?
  1. Obviously abusive backgrounds. Please remember, we are a PG-13 community. While conflict is a necessary part of a story, we do not want to read about beatings, starvation, psychological abuse or worse.
  2. Relationships with canon characters. This includes no Death Eater parents.
  3. Contradictions to your current story. What do we mean by this? Simply put - if you have always roleplayed that you are German and now you are French, we will not approve of this change. We will approve addendum and clarifications. We will likely approve changes you have not roleplayed (such as perhaps being an only child and not having a school-aged sibling because a real-life friend of yours has joined) but we would expect that you have not been roleplaying as an only child, bringing players to your home where you are an only child. This would be very unfair to those you roleplayed with that they are now forced to recon part of their experience so we will not facilitate this.
  4. Getting married/engaged at an abnormally young age. We are not allowing engagements below 14 or marriages below 16 here.
  5. References to special powers you do not have. In addition, you do not have powers from a different fandom (for example, you are not Elsa from Frozen)
  6. Having family members taking on very specific roles in the wizarding community that there are only one of (for example, your father is not a Minister of Magic).
  7. Information or references that contradict the setting lore.
  8. Aspects about your character or family that you cannot explain. For example -- if you claim your family is very poor, make sure you have a means to explain it. Same thing if your family is very rich. How/why is your family very rich?
  9. There are no orphanages in the modern UK.
  10. Every child has a caretaker/caregiver/parent/guardian. We do not allow homeless children in this setting.
  11. Please make sure that you tie up loose ends. There are no mysteries in the biographies that Index accepts. If you are vague with your parent/backstory/talents you will be asked to give confirmation on what you plan to do. There is no "but I want it to be a mystery". The answer to these staff inquiries do not have to be in the encyclopedia, but the staff needs to know the plans.
  12. We don't allow mafia/clan/samurai characters. Our 11-year-old students are not trained killers, eleven years old are not supposed to even wield sharp objects generally so being a trained killer is a stretch beyond what Index is willing to accept.
  13. We have a pet system, we do not allow you to bring your own pet. However when you have the galleons to buy one, you can claim it was a pet from home (as long as it is one of the pets we allow, you cannot buy a rat and claim it is a pet dragon).
The above is not a fully inclusive list, but these are some of the more common issues that Validators come across.

1 Feb 2023, 11:12

STATS

Every player has statistics that follow them in Dueling, Quidditch, Broom Racing and Adventures.
  • STAMINA: This serves as a numerical representation of how durable a player is.
  • EVASION: This is how good a player is at avoiding attacks.
  • STRENGTH: This is how physically powerful a player is. This is used in grapple checks, non-magical physical actions.
  • WISDOM: This is a representation of how good someone is at casting a spell, controlling magical items and finding/noticing things that might otherwise remain unseen.
  • ARCANE POWER: Much like how strength demonstrates how powerful a player is physically, this stat is used to determine how powerful a player's magical attacks which are damaging are.
  • ACCURACY: This represents how accurate an action is, physical or magical.

HOW DO THESE STATS WORK?

Calculating your Stamina.
Stamina is basically your health pool. Once your Health Pool reaches 0, you are no longer able to duel or play Quidditch. You have passed out. Your stamina is calculated simply. Your stamina is multiplied by 100, so if you have 3 points placed in your stamina then you have 300 health points.

Calculating your Evasion.
The higher your evasion score, the more difficult it is to strike you with an attack be it magical or physical. The calculation for this is simple. Your evasion is the amount you have in your agility pool, this would be added to your evasion or dodge attempt which is always a d20. So if you have 5 in your evasion and a Beater throws a Bludger at you, to avoid this attack the moderator will roll a d20 and add 5 to the result. If your resultant roll with the +5 modifier is greater than the opponent's attack roll with modifiers then the attack would miss.

Calculating your Strength.
Strength is a designation for how physically powerful you are. The higher your strength score, the more damage you can do with your Bludger, the more likely you are to succeed in a grapple check (despite that not being something that can be done in a formal duel street fighting surely has less rules for this sort of thing) and anything that requires a strength check. For every point you place in strength, your physical attacks will do more damage.

Calculating your Wisdom.
Wisdom is a reflection of how studious you are as well as how much control you have over your power. This is a Mental statistic.  When a user attempts to use a magical item, often their Wisdom stat becomes relevant. Wisdom is also how you recognize things or hide things, such as noticing if someone cheats, where the snitch is, etc. Your wisdom is calculated simply. For every 1 wisdom you have, checks that require wisdom receive that amount to their roll. So if you were checking to see if your opponent was cheating and your wisdom was 2, then 2 would be added to your check to see if you notice that your opponent is cheating.

Calculating your Arcane Power.
Arcane Power is essentially magic's version of strength. The higher your strength score, the more damage you can do with your spells, the more likely you are to succeed in a check against someone who shares the same core. For every point you place in Arcane Power, your magical attacks will do more damage by 10%. That means if you place 4 points in Arcane Power, your spells would do 40% more damage than your peers.

Accuracy.
Accuracy is fairly self-explanatory. Your accuracy determines how likely it is that you will hit an opponent with an attack be it magical or physical. If an attack misses, it does no damage no matter how powerful the attack is. Your accuracy is the amount you have in your accuracy pool, this would be added to your attack attempt to hit which is always a d20. So if you have 5 in your accuracy and as a Beater you throw a Bludger at an opponent, to see if you hit the moderator will roll a d20 and add 5 to the result. If your resultant roll with the +5 modifier is greater than the opponent's evasion roll with modifiers then the attack would hit.

How Do I Acquire Stats?
At the start of each school year or when you start the game you are given base stats which you can place anywhere, creating a unique statistical representation of your character. Every player starts with 30 to 35 stat points that they can place wherever they please. Players that are a special race (think Veela, Dhampire, Metamorphmagus, etc) start with 30 stat points whereas players that elect to remain normal humans start with 35 stat points. Once you pick your stats they can not be decreased, only added to (exception: you registered as human but then apply for a special race/talent).

You can gain stats 3 ways besides this. 
  • By winning an official Quidditch match you can gain 1 stat point. 
  • By winning an official Duel you can gain 1 stat point. 
  • By winning an official Broom Race you can gain 1 stat point. 
  • By graduating and moving on to the next year you can gain 5 stat points.
Are There Any CAPS or Restrictions?
Yes, you need to place at least 1 stat point in STAMINA, otherwise, you have 0 health and would start every battle passed out. Beyond that we do have caps which are as follows:
  • First Year:  you cannot have more than 10 points in any one stat.
  • Second Year:  you cannot have more than 10 points in any one stat.
  • Third Year:  you cannot have more than 15 points in any one stat.
  • Fourth Year:  you cannot have more than 15 points in any one stat.
  • Fifth Year:  you cannot have more than 20 points in any one stat.
  • Sixth Year:  you cannot have more than 20 points in any one stat.
  • Seventh Year: you cannot have more than 25 points in any one stat.
  • Adult: You cannot have more than 25 points in any one stat.
Can I have Multiple Builds?
No, the intention is that an excellent Quidditch player is not also a top duelist. You can be good at both but there will be different skill-sets and abilities that facilitate a player's success in one realm over the other.

Where do I post stats?
On your character encyclopedia page and when you are participating in events, duels or quidditch matches displaying them in a Reducio or placing your stats in your signature will make your moderator's job much easier but the only thing required is documentation in the encyclopedia page. Modifying the stats will be punished. It should look as follows:

Stamina:    
Evasion:       
Strength:   
Wisdom:     
ArcPower:  
Accuracy:   

1 Feb 2023, 11:12
Trunks

Trunks have a standardized format for the sake of consistent format and moderation.

What will be allowed?

This is an example of how your trunk should look:

Statistics and Abilities

Your Stats go here
Spells Acquired

Reducio
Your Spells go here
Potions Known

Reducio
Your Potions go here
Rules

1. Your whole trunk may contain one picture. This can be a header, or a picture at the bottom, or in the middle. It does not matter, if it's a small picture or a large picture. Everything counts as one.

2. Do not create a picture with all of the trunk information and post that as the trunk. The picture is meant for decoration. Stats, Spells, Potions etc have to be written out and not be posted as a picture.

3. One reducio under each category may be used.

4. No more than two quote boxes within each other (nesting quotes) are allowed.[/color][/size]

5. The order of headings can be chosen freely.

6. The usage of Tables is not permitted.

7. No colour, special font or size under 100% is allowed.

If a trunk does not follow the above format, this is not an exception made by the staff but rather either an oversight (which we will rectify with that user if notified) or the trunk is very old and has not been updated since these standards were enacted.