Register
Sign in

21 Feb 2022, 15:11
Mentorship Program: Mentors  Sign up 
Hogwarts is offering a Mentorship Program. This program is designed to assist new or returning players in becoming acclimated to the community. You can learn more about the Mentorship program here: [Link]

This page serves as a sign-up page for Mentors.

What are Mentors?

Mentors are experienced players who have the job of assisting new (or returning new) members in becoming integrated with the community.

How do I become a Mentor?

Interested members (staff and non-staff) may sign up to be mentors in this thread. After they sign up a staff member will give approved mentors access to a special Mentor channel on discord and Mentor space on site.

Are there any prerequisites?

Yes, we expect the following of our Mentors:
  • 6 months active on site on present or previous character. So if you are a third year but you took a year hiatus and returned 2 months ago, we would need you to remain on site for another 4 months before you can sign up. If you changed characters but were active on your previous character up until the new character was created, despite the fact that your account may only be a few weeks old you are considered to be an active user.
  • You have completed your encyclopedia and trunk, you are registered on Index.
  • You have not had any disciplinary issues regarding basic site standards such as cheating, plagiarism, godmodding, metagaming, meeting the word count minimum in the past 6 months.
  • You have not attempted (ever) to hack the site, dismantle the staff or administration or harass other users and staff.
  • If you have been told that you are ineligible to apply for this role. For example, if you were removed from your mentorship position for abusive or disruptive behavior in the past it is likely you will not be welcome to return to this role.
The staff does reserve the right to deny a user from becoming a mentor if they have personality conflicts with the community or staff.

Are there any Restrictions?
  • A user can mentor up to three (3) mentees at once.
  • A Mentor cannot be the mentor of a user that they share an IP with, know in real life or knew prior to them coming to this community.
What if I do not like my Mentee?

Personality conflicts can arise. If one does please reach out to a Head of House, we will attempt to either mediate the situation, see if another Mentor is able to take over for you or discuss with you what your options might be. As this is often unique for every situation we would likely need to discuss your matter individually.

Are there any expectations for Mentors?

We do ask that you remain active for your mentee. Please try to post weekly or communicate with them that you are going to be unavailable. If you have not posted with your mentee in a month, your account will be auto-dropped as a Mentor and the mentee if they are still active will be transitioned over to another willing Mentor. The reason being "inactivity." If you have become unexpectedly (without communication or attempt to transition the mentees over to another mentor) inactive and had active mentees that you left hanging, you will be ineligible for returning to a Mentor role for an indeterminate period of time because this is something that we cannot have happen often to new people because it damages their early experience.

We also ask you to be respectful of your mentee's time. They likely have roleplays and other real life obligations to attend to. Please do not expect them to post for you within minutes or hours of your post. That said, we also understand that you are limited to only three concurrent mentees at any given time. If your mentee has not posted with you in a month, they can be removed from your mentorship for the reason of inactivity and they would have to sign back up for a mentorship if they are eligible once they are able to dedicate the time.

Mentors are examples for the rest of the community in terms of behavior and ethic. They encourage others to do the right thing. So assisting a member in multi-accounting or circumventing a ban would result in immediate removal from the team. Further, some of the information shared in the mentor channels (as they are staff channels) is considered to be privileged and therefore confidential. We discuss topics such as bans there that we do not make public except in the most extreme of circumstances, sharing this information is not for the sake of gossip and should not be shared or screen grabbed to be shared with other players. We need to know that these discussion topics will remain in the staff areas. If there is an ethical compromise that may result from remaining silent about something shared in the Mentorship forums we have a protocol for disclosure that can be followed if something needs to be shared with the broader audience.

Finally we expect that you do not act abusively towards your mentee or any member of the site, your mentee has the right to drop you as a mentor and request a new one. Depending on the severity of the situation your account may be subject to administrative action for the abusive behavior. This goes both ways, you also have the right to not be abused.

Will I be compensated?

Yes, Mentors will be compensated for a successful mentorship 3 galleons.

What is considered to be a "Successful Mentorship."

1. Completion of 1 roleplay thread (4 posts from each).

The goal here is to get a first thread out of the way for them. If they need to learn the basics of in character posting (such as how to post) or basic community expectations such as a word count minimum, that we do not metagame or godmod, and how to effectively manage being a character.

2. Completion of 1 class.

This is basically them completing a single homework on their own (you are not to give them answers). You can direct them as to where to find classes, let them know when classes will be and where to find appropriate resources for the class. Often students struggle with the concept of anonymity.

3. Registration of their character with Index

This is something that members often struggle with. Writing a full and complete background, applying for a special race or ability, making a Trunk.
The Form

Name:
Year:
Have you been active on this account or another account consistently for the last 6 months?
Do you have a completed encyclopedia?
Are you registered with Index?
Why do you want to be a mentor?
Edits:
June 8, 2022 - in accordance with earnings increases on April 30 so retroactively effective back to April 30, increased the compensation for completed mentorships from 1 galleon to 3 galleons.
Oct 15, 2022 - we have added the expectation that Mentors will not assist in multi-accounting or circumventing a ban and Confidentiality expectations.

This is the "Game Master" account. Please do not owl this account, unless specified. This account is not moderated actively and therefore, you may not receive a response.

Contact a Head of House or the Headmaster if you need anything.

21 Feb 2022, 15:20
Name: Cody Stevenson (soon, Noah Jupe)
Year: 1st (2nd as Noah)
Have you been active on this account or another account consistently for the last 6 months? yes, for both. Well, except as Cody. It has been almost 6 months as him.
Do you have a completed encyclopedia? of course! And I am pretty proud with the progress of it thus far.
Are you registered with Index? yup! (Noah isnt)
Why do you want to be a mentor? Well, I love to help people, and to have roleplays with them. I find it to be very intriguing and I do send out welcome letter with a guide to the site, and I am more than willing to be a OOC/IC mentor with the newbies and the returnees.

As Cody, it would be a bit of a character development for him, and as Noah, it would help him improve tremendously with getting to know people. iC of course. Now, OOC, I'm always happy to be a friendly face! I'm also always there for them, always active, and always try to make others laugh and enjoy their time on HiO.
Note: I included Noah because I'm switching over to him in exactly a month
Mod Note: Reviewed, owl sent.

21 Feb 2022, 15:26
Name: Logan Baird
Year: Third Year
Have you been active on this account or another account consistently for the last 6 months? Yes
Do you have a completed encyclopedia? Yes
Are you registered with Index? Yes
I rather enjoy helping people and am more than willing to help new members. I do not mind helping new members figure out rps and help them with their first rp if needed. I am also more than willing to help them figure out how to do homework and how to set up an encyclopedia.

IC Logan enjoys assisting younger students and would have no problem meeting up with other students to help them out.

"Logan is blood miserable" ~ Clark 2023

21 Feb 2022, 16:21
Name: Opeila Winters
Year: Third Year
Have you been active on this account or another account consistently for the last 6 months? Yes, active since January 2020 with the occasionally one-week-hiatus ;)
Do you have a completed encyclopedia? Are encys ever complete? I think in the way it is meant here, yes.
OOC: I would love to be a part of this because I basically am mentoring new first years already all the time and really enjoy it. I've found that to be a great way of meeting nice people and have made some friends by being the friendly helper when they were new :)
As a very active third year I know the processes on site rather well and also have some experience with moderation, which is something I often see newer people struggle with. With my character also having a relatively complicated (back-) story that required me to reregister a few times, I would also say that I have a good feeling for the borders of what can be played out and what wouldn't be approved, meaning I could effectively help people getting registered.

IC: Opeila is known for being social, she likes to organize events and talk to people. Lately she has also helped some younger kids to practice their duelling spells and is also the Captain of the Brisk Basilisks, so being a mentor would just very much fit her personality.
Last edited by Opeila Winters on 21 Feb 2022, 22:11, edited 3 times in total.

Opeila | Theodore | Raffle
Head of Index | Prefect | Duelling Co-Captain
Sta-10 | Eva-11 | Str-4 | Wis-10 | Arc-9 | Acc-14

21 Feb 2022, 16:22
Name: Delilah Stewart
Year: 5th
Have you been active on this account or another account consistently for the last 6 months?Yep, my hiatus finished August 2020
OOC: When I first started this site, there was a mentorship program, I was mentored by Dymphna, this beginning welcome to the site and conversation and thread with her is likely one of the reasons I stayed through the first couple weeks before I fully got the grasp of the site. I may not still be here if it wasn't for that. I hope that if I was somebody mentor, I could do a similar thing and help people around, especially since the site is a lot more overwhelming than it was 4 years ago. I like helping people I just find a huge sense of satisfaction from that, I have helped people with their encyclopedias and homework in the past and I am more than willing to do it here. I actually drafted up a sort of version of a mentorship program before staff let me know this was in the works, I said then that I am totally willing to be involved and I still very much am, hence this application.

IC: I have headcanoned Delilah tutoring younger students since like her 3rd year, so it would make sense for her to do something like this (I always planned on doing threads with her tutoring somebody but never actually did it)

I'm not even bothered about the compensation I'm just super hyped for this :lol:

Delilah S.
Stamina: 9 | Evasion: 11 | Strength: 5 | Wisdom: 15 | ArcPower: 13 | Accuracy: 14
It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

21 Feb 2022, 16:47
Name: Elena Jangleton
Year: Fourth
Have you been active on this account or another account consistently for the last 6 months? Yes
OOC: For newcomers and especially those new to roleplaying, this site can be overwhelming at times as people try to find their way around. I know it was for me and took a month or so before I got the hang of things. This initiative is much needed, I believe and a great opportunity to connect new players with those who have been here a while. I'd love to be apart of this opportunity as I know how intimidating and huge a large community like this can be and I want to be that friendly face that can walk them through the process and slowly get them settled having been in those shoes myself once!

IC: Elena by nature is easily approachable and friendly, she has a caring heart and ready to drop everything to help out someone even if they're a total stranger. It's how she's made most of her friends so something like this would click perfectly with her.

STA: 9| EVA: 10|STR: 6|ArcPower: 5|WIS: 15|ACR: 10

21 Feb 2022, 16:56
Name: Juniper Kelly
Year: first but I was in my second year on my old account
Have you been active on this account or another account consistently for the last 6 months? Indeed ^^
Do you have a completed encyclopedia? [LINK] for those interested "D
Are you registered with Index? I am! *throws glitter*
Why do you want to be a mentor?Well, when I joined this site... it'd be lying if I said wasn't even a little confused. I think a mentorship program would of helped me, yet I figured it all out. But I made mistakes, and things took long for me. I think a mentor would of been just what I needed. Not only someone who helped me, but someone like an ally, dare I say a friend. When someone on this site made a mentorship program [LINK] I was quick to join. It wasn't very big, but I stayed in touch with my mentees with owls and answers. It stopped being a thing after a while, and so I want to thank the staff for making it a big thing.
and thank you to Michael Miller for making that thing long ago, even if you're no longer on this site my friend- you were never my mentor but you did guide me and you always sat down and listened to me.
IC, Juniper might be a bit crazy sometimes... she might even be a bit overprotective of her friends. But heck, she found her way around Hogwarts with the help of the kindest of people just like I did OOC. And for a chance to be a person who helps people understand their new home, Juniper would take it without a second thought. She would gladly be the study body, the guide in the halls, and yes... the person with all the gossip to the people who get a little lost. Heck, she'd gladly even be the person who'd sit down and just listen to the students who have trouble adjusting to their new home. She understands what it's like to not feel like one fit's in, and if helping others will help change that, she'd do it.

Sana Juni Shop
|
Don't play games with a girl who can play them better
Sta: 5 | Eva: 4 | Str: 6 | Acc: 6 | Arc: 4 | Wis: 5
|
CFC trading club

21 Feb 2022, 17:13
Name: Lucia Fox
Year: Third
Have you been active on this account or another account consistently for the last 6 months? I have indeed! I joined in May 2020 and have been consistently active since then.
Do you have a completed encyclopedia? Completed all necessary sections. Full ency is a constant WIP haha :sweatingbullets:
Are you registered with Index? Yup!
Why do you want to be a mentor? I've been answering questions and explaining things to new members on owls and in OOC threads on here for a while now and I'd really like to be part of a system which would let me do so in an official capacity! This sounds like a really cool way to help out new members and I'd really love to join in ^^
Mod Note: Reviewed and owl sent.

=
#00308F
encycassie heather
=
breathe in, breathe through, breathe deep, breathe out
Part-Veela • Alluring • Perfectionist • Scream • Sta 9 • Eva 9 • Stre 4 • Wis 10 • Arc 8 • Acc 9

21 Feb 2022, 17:48
name. everly charlton
year. second
consistent activity in the past six months. yep!
completed ency. yep!
index. yep!

reasoning [ic]. everly would love to show someone the ropes and help them around! she was very shy when she first started, but eventually became more comfortable, so it would be great for her to help guide someone along similarly
reasoning [ooc]. would love to give back to this community, since everyone has helped me greatly and i’ve really enjoyed meeting new people and creating core memories. also would love to have some more threads with really good writers and do something that would’ve helped me so much when i first started <3
Mod Note: Reviewed and owled.

i’m gonna pop
your bubblegum heart

21 Feb 2022, 18:11
Name: Annie Morgan
Year:
4th
Have you been active on this account or another account consistently for the last 6 months? Yup!
Do you have a completed encyclopedia? I believe so

OOC- Some other students tried starting this up IC and I had originally signed Annie up because I thought it would be great for her to help out the new ones. Everyone needs a helping hand and I don't remember how many people I had to have help me adjust to the new site so if I can return that favor I'd be super excited.

IC- Annie has a very maternal instinct. She's always running into new people, younger students or just making random friends along the way. After stepping down from Prefect she's felt at a loss with her place in the school. Sure she may be blind, but that doesn't stop her from trying. If she can mentor and encourage the new students to enjoy school or at least not be so afraid of it, it would make her super happy and feel fulfilled.
Mod Note: Reviewed and owled.

♡ Life is just a trip, don't let it trip you up - Cash Campbell