Register
Sign in

20 Aug 2022, 20:47
Do Not Contact/Harassment  tutorial 
A Do Not Contact Request is a statement that you do not wish to communicate/interface with another user. This can be done for any reason.

Step 1: Block them on Discord as well as any social media platforms you might share.

Step 2: Notify them that they are being blocked and that you do not wish to contact them. Please include a Head of House (HOH) or the Headmaster in the owl so there is a papertrail.
Dear ___;

This is a notification that I am placing a do not contact request on you. This means that I no longer wish to communicate with you or interact with you. This includes discord, email, social media platforms, threads present and future, tagging and on site private messaging (owls).

The reason I am sending you this do not contact is because _______.

An future attempts to contact me will result in me reaching out to the administration of Hio.

https://hogwarts.io/viewtopic.php?p=461162#p461162
Question: What if you do not feel comfortable reaching out to this person to tell them that you have placed a do not contact on them?

Reach out to any HOH or the Headmaster and we can send this form for you.

Step 3: Leave any threads that you are presently in with them, do not interact with them in any way and leave.

Step 4: Leave any clubs that you are in with them. If you own the club, please send them a removal notice with your do not contact request.
I am removing you from ___ Club (supply a link) as owner of this club in accordance with the do not contact.
Question: What if you do not want to leave the club that you are both in?

Reach out to the owner of the club to see what sort of arrangements can be made. However it is unreasonable to expect clubs to remove members that you do not get along with.

Step 5: Contact your sport team captain so they know you have a do not contact with someone. This is a good way of preventing the captain from pairing you with them if they join the sport in the future or what actions you might perform in the course of a game so that you do not have to reference them.
I have a do not contact order with ___.
Nobody needs to know why but you are free to elaborate.

Step 6: Remain cognizant of the do not contact. You may have to remind members and practice self-advocacy. You have the right to be left alone and to not be pressured into dealing with people you are not comfortable with. If you are harassed by friends or this user fails to adhere to the do not contact request, reach out to a Head of House or the Headmaster.

Tips for members with Do Not Contacts:

A do not contact does not mean you are a 'bad' person, but you are not the 'right person' for some people. You may not agree with the block or understand it, it is possible one was not supplied and not knowing can be hard or annoying. We understand the impulse to talk things out, convince them to change their minds or to explain your side of things. Unfortunately that time has passed.

If you have a do not contact against you, you do have certain rights:

1. They cannot contact you, if they contact you to 'further explain themselves' and simply tag onto it 'don't reply' to get the extra last word, that is not appropriate. Please contact a HOH or Headmaster, we will send them a warning. It is possible this will effect staff positions that they have and if it is a repeated occurrence (twice or more) we will be discussing banning them for harassment. So please keep papertrails and please keep means of communications open.
2. Their friends cannot be used as mediums to contact you. Their friends are not middle-men, they are not therapists and even if they are, Hio has not hired them. You have the right to tell them firmly 'no' and you should not even have to get this far. They should not be asking to 'work things out.' That is between the two of you.
3. You are welcome to make a counter do not contact order. A HOH or Headmaster will send this letter for you (assuming the content is appropriate) and that will be your final communication. the HOH and Headmaster are not carrier pigeons or owls.

If you have placed a do not contact against another member, you have certain rights:

1. They cannot contact you. If they do, we ban them. You need to supply us with screen grabs and proof of the contact as well as the do not contact (that we should already have).
2. Their friends cannot play middle men or pressure you into making an exception for a certain thread they wish to do. A do not contact order is a site-level thing, the onus should not be on the victim to be the 'ruiner of fun', on the admin level it will be our policy to ban them even if you were convinced to say 'OK.' So the blame is on the administration. Frankly it was highly inappropriate for you to be asked to make an exception so please let us know who they were, we wont send them warnings or ban them for asking but it would effect our willingness to add them to a staff team if they are not above coercing members to satisfy their wants. And no, we wont tell them you told us but will ask for a screen grab.
3. You can remove the do not contact but it needs to be done formally and there is a wait period (to prevent @#2 coercion).
Send a message to a HOH or headmaster stating that you wish to end the do not contact. We will discuss with you why (checking for coercion) and discuss a wait period. This is to be sure you are certain and to again prevent coercion. The HOH or headmaster would then reach out to the use with a do not contact against them and tell them that you are interested in removing the do not contact and supply any relevant information. They are then given the option of moving forward with this removal or continuing the do not contact. The do not contact may then revert to their ownership, meaning that we would tell you that they do not wish for the do not contact to be removed and it will persist, only this time the do not contact is against you. Again this does not mean you are a 'bad' person, just not the 'right' person for them.

If they have given their consent, the administration will provide a discussion area to talk things out, including boundaries and expectations. This will either be done on discord as a logged group chat or on site in a private area. This process will be tedious (on purpose). we also expect this to stick, we wont be tolerating a back and forth of do not contacts being made and then removed. If you cannot keep to one thing, we will place a do not contact on both of you with the other.

Additional Questions

Question: what if I the person who is blocked want to initiate a discussion?

You can't, that is the point of a do not contact. When (if) they are ready you will know.

Question: what if I am being tagged, messaged or spoken to on discord, the site, etc. by someone who has a do not contact order against me?

You can speak to a HOH or Headmaster, we will send them a warning. They get 1 warning from us, if they do it again they will be banned.

Question: a player "triggers me" can I request that they not be on the server with me?

No, you are welcome to leave the server but you cannot expect players to leave the site because you do not like them, were disappointed by them, used to date them, etc.

Question: I forgot I had a do not contact order against me or on someone and I have contacted them. Do I still get in trouble?

Yes. there are some incredibly remote cases where there might be exceptions but they re so few I cannot even think of one.

Question: I hate the entire staff team except 1-2 people, can I have a do not contact against the rest?

It would be time to find a new site. You are welcome to have an issue with one or two staff members but they have a job to do, they can ask another staff person to do it but when we get into the range of several the common denominator becomes you. Disliking a staff member is not a get out of trouble free card, if we lack the staff willing to engage with you or vice versa we will have to ask you to leave the site.

This is the "Game Master" account. Please do not owl this account, unless specified. This account is not moderated actively and therefore, you may not receive a response.

Contact a Head of House or the Headmaster if you need anything.