Register
Sign in

12 Feb 2022, 03:43
FAQ — Hogwarts
CODING

What coding does this Site use?
Reducio
We use BB coding. To see what this coding looks like, you can go to our coding tutorial.
Is coding in our posts required?
Reducio
No. It is not required. Players code their roleplay posts or Encyclopedias for aesthetics.
How do I change the font?
Reducio

Code: Select all

[font=(put in font name)] [/font]
Please be aware that depending on the browser that you use, some fonts will show up where others will not. It is a good idea to check the font that you are using on a few different browsers to see if they show up.

An alternative that is consistent is something called unicode. There are some special characters that you can use, but these are not technically letters so you are not able to search for a message as easily. Ⓛⓘⓚⓔ 🅃🄷🄸🅂.
Can I get any assistance making fancy codes for my post or my encyclopedia?
Reducio
Coding is aesthetic so not required. However we have a coding channel on our community discord that you are welcome to join. We also have this tutorial that may help you learn how to make fancy posts yourself. Some players have donated their coding for public use in the BB Donation Thread, please make sure that you read the terms of the donation because some users ask that they be credited if you use their work. Finally, you can also place an order in one of our player-run shops that offer coding services found in the Our of Character Shops in the Leaky Cauldron.
Last Updated Feb 11, 2022
Thanks to Maya Galim for the initial compilation.

There is something about ambition, how it not only propels you but also defines you.

12 Feb 2022, 03:45
FAQ — Hogwarts
iNPC SYSTEM

What are iNPC's?
Reducio
iNPC are characters that you create without the need of a new account. They are not main characters, but characters that help move along an event, Main Story and give you some variety in your roleplay.
How do I apply to have my very own iNPC?
Reducio
Throughout the academic year, we create opportunities for players to create their own iNPCs that will come from a different school to help with large events and Main Story episodes. We have a tutorial and in-depth instructions on how to apply for your own iNPC.
How many iNPC's can I have?
Reducio
You can only have one (1) iNPC connected to your account.
What schools can we have an iNPC from?
Reducio
Our plan is to have all schools available to create iNPCs for. At the moment we have the following schools available for iNPC: Beauxbatons, Durmstrang, Ilvermorny, Mahoutokoro, and Koldovstoretz.
What is the best way to roleplay iNPC's without another account?
Reducio
A lot of other players tend to have a banner that they create from the website canva (or other platforms of graphic creation) at the top of their post to indicate that it is their iNPC. Another way to best roleplay iNPCs is by having a code that is only for your iNPC. Anything to indicate that it is not your main account and an iNPC is the best way to roleplay with iNPC's without another account.
Where can I find the iNPCs?
Reducio
There is a sub-forum located under Characters in the Encyclopedia section of the forum. It is recommended that you subscribe to the NPC Announcement Thread if you want to be kept up to date with any iNPC-related announcements.
Last updated Feb 11, 2022
Thanks to Maya for the initial compilation.

There is something about ambition, how it not only propels you but also defines you.

12 Feb 2022, 03:45
FAQ — Hogwarts
PET SYSTEM

How can my character obtain a pet?
Reducio
We have a tutorial that has a step-by-step on how to apply and obtain a pet for your character.
Can I have my character bring a pet from home?
Reducio
No. All pets that are from their childhood home, stay home. You can purchase a pet in the pet system and then roleplay it as you getting stuff for your pet at a shop, but roleplaying a pet into your character's history is not a way of circumventing the need to buy a pet.
Can I find a stray and keep it as a pet?
Reducio
Yes, however, you will still need to pay the amount of how much the pet would be if bought from the Menagerie.
I don't like my pet anymore. Can I switch?
Reducio
You cannot just switch. You can roleplay that your pet ran away and buy a new pet. You can claim it died of natural causes. You cannot murder your pet or have another player murder your pet.
Can pets die?
Reducio
Yes. They can die by old age. We do not, however, murder or abuse our pets as per our Site rating.
Can I have a pet that is not listed in the menagerie?
Reducio
No, but you can make a suggestion for a new pet type. Pets are managed by the site owner so even if it is something that has been favorably received, it may be some time before the pet is implemented.
Updated last Feb 11, 2022

12 Feb 2022, 03:46
FAQ — Hogwarts
CHOCOLATE FROGS

What are Chocolate Frogs?
Reducio
Chocolate Frogs are one of the many magical sweets found in the Wizarding World. While the treat is delicious, every Chocolate Frog package has a collectable card of Famous Witches and Wizards ranging from common to mythical.
How do you get a Chocolate Frog?
Reducio
There are many ways to get Chocolate Frogs. You can either buy (20 knuts each) them yourself at Honeydukes located in Hogsmeade, participate in various errands that reward using Chocolate Frogs, or be a part of the winning house (earning at least 17 house points) as a reward for earning the House Cup. If it is the prior, you must either be a third year to enter Hogsmeade or buy a Fake Permission Form which can be found in Weasley's Wizard Wheezes in Diagon Alley.
How many cards are there to collect?
Reducio
There are nearly 150 cards to collect. Among them, there are six levels of rarity that are available in three colors: bronze (common and uncommon cards), silver (rare and epic cards) and gold (legendary and mythical cards).
How can I see the cards I've collected?
Reducio
If you hover over your account at the top right, you will see a link on the drop down menu that will say, "Chocolate Frogs." There, you will see all of your cards safely collected.
I'm having a hard time finishing my collection. What's the best way to get all the cards?
Reducio
If you have enough currency, keep taking chances and buying Chocolate Frogs at Honeydukes in Hogsmeade is one way and takes a lot of perseverance. Another way is by exchanging with other players. In our community Discord, we have a channel that is primarily exchanging Chocolate Frogs!
I have so many duplicates. What should I do with them?
Reducio
The more you buy Chocolate Frogs, the more of a chance you'll have a lot of duplicates of one card. You can either gift Chocolate Frog Cards to others or use your duplicates to exchange for other cards that you do not have yet!

12 Feb 2022, 03:46
FAQ — Hogwarts
CLUBS & CLANS

Are there clubs that my character can join in Hogwarts?
Reducio
Yes. We have various different kinds of clubs and clans for your character to join. These groups are student-run, which means that staff does not regulate its activity.
I want to join a club, but how do I know which ones are active?
Reducio
We have a list of clubs that can help you determine which clubs are active as well as what clubs are inactive and can be overtaken if you wish to restart a club.
How do you make a club or clan?
Reducio
Please refer to our Guidelines to Creating a Clan or Club to know how you can make your own club.
There is an inactive club of a topic that I want to start. What can I do?
Reducio
If there is already another club or clan that you wanted to start, but it is inactive, it can be taken over if the leader of the group has been inactive for 60 days. To take over a club, please fill out the form in the Club List and Registry.
Why are there some clubs and clans OOC or IC?
Reducio
The concept of clubs and clans is to bring together characters but also the players. Some clubs are just OOC (out-of-character) where roleplayers connect through common interests and there are some that are IC (in-character) to connect your character's through common interests.
Can I join multiple clubs and clans?
Reducio
Yes, you can. Please respect the clubs and clans by being active for all that you join. In other words, don't join more than you can be active for.

12 Feb 2022, 03:47
FAQ — Hogwarts
COMMON ROOM SYSTEM

What are Common Rooms?
Reducio
In canon, Common Rooms are headquarters for your house. It is where house-specific groups hang out and sleep. All Common Rooms are secret where other houses do not know the location nor the code word to get in.
How do I enter my Common Rooms?
Reducio
To enter your Common Room, click your house crest in the Hogwarts crest at the top left corner. A door will appear in the middle of your screen and you will then enter your Common Room.
Can I enter other House's Common Rooms?
Reducio
Nope! You can only enter your own Common Room. If you try to enter another house's Common Room, the door will not open. In canon, all Common Rooms are secret in location and all Common Rooms require a passcode to get in.
What is the point of the Common Room?
Reducio
In canon, the point of Common Rooms is to have a safe quarter for a group to spend time in. It is a place where your character can sleep and socially get to know other house-mates. On Site, the Common Room is a great place to learn more about your house in regards to announcements, as well as a place where small mini-events could take place.
What About Dormitories?
Reducio
Dorms are where you sleep and where your stuff is. Every house has a few dorms to choose from. We do diverge from canon in that we offer male, female and gender-neutral dormitory options. The specifics of the dorm system differ house to house but can be found as a subforum of your common room.
Last Updated Feb 11, 2022.

FAQ — Hogwarts
CURRENCY SYSTEM

How do I make more money?
Reducio
There are many ways to make more money. Every 24 hours, you can collect daily money. If you are a regular student, you can collect daily money in your common room. If your character has an added role on the site such as a writer for the Hogwarts Headliner, serve as a Prefect, or act as a Captain of a Sports Team such as Quidditch, Broom Racing or Duelling, they will have an extra daily to pay for their efforts. Part-goblins also make extra money daily.

A popular way to make money aside from dailies are to participate in errands, or quest-like adventures or events. There are many errands that appear every month for students to participate in. When you complete a task or participate in an event, you can earn yourself not only house points and Chocolate Frogs, but also money!

Another way to make money is by "selling" your talent. You can open up your own shop located in the Our of Character Shops in The Leaky Cauldron. You choose what talent you want to sell (graphics, coding, etc) and become an entrepreneur.

Finally, if you are a part of the winning house for the House Cup in a given month and earned 17 house points towards that months win you might also be entitled to some extra galleons as a reward. Reward information can be found here.
What can the money be used for?
Reducio
Money is used just as we use it OOC: to buy things! You are able to buy many items from various stores in Diagon Alley and-- when you're a third year or buy a Fake Permission Slip-- in Hogsmeade. Items can vary from broomsticks to Chocolate Frogs.
Can I donate my money to others?
Reducio
Sure! You have the option to donate or pay others for their services. We have an area where members like to create their own shop and ask for donations in return. To make a donation, click on the profile of who you want to donate to and find the area that shows their currency. You can then "give" them money. You can give galleons, sickles and knuts.

First years are not able to donate money (sadly we have had an issue with members multi-accounting for the purpose of giving themselves more money). They can however trade items.
Can sell back the items I had to pick up when I started?
Reducio
No, the shop does not let you sell back these items.
Can I sell back items I have bought before for money?
Reducio
Yes, but you will not get a 100% refund.

FAQ — Hogwarts
DETENTION SYSTEM

What is detention?
Reducio
Detention is an in-character consequence for breaking in character rules. Information regarding our detention system can be found here.
How do you get detention?
Reducio
You get detention for breaking in-character rules. Technically if a Professor or a Prefect is corrupt they can also just give you detention but something like that would require a papertrail out of character to make certain that you are not being harassed out of character.
Who gives detention?
Reducio
Prefects, Heads of House and Professors.
What happens if we don't attend or finish detention?
Reducio
When you are in detention you cannot join or start any new threads. You can continue the threads that you are in presently but you cannot start new ones until your detention is complete.
Can I request a detention?
Reducio
you can ask but you are not guaranteed a detention, the staff are generally very busy keeping the site running and we also want to give players then opportunity to cause trouble without being caught because it makes for good stories. That said, there are limits. Please do not roleplay a psychopath that tortures and murders other players or pets, you won't be getting detention for this... we will be asking you to leave. We do not presently have an expulsion system so with your character no longer being a part of the Hogwarts IC community this would mean character loss.
Will there be an expulsion system?
Reducio
Someday possibly. At this time there is not because we have other systems to develop and improve that will effect more community members that take priority.
Initial information compiled by Solomon Lear.

12 Feb 2022, 03:48
FAQ — Hogwarts
ERRAND SYSTEM

What are errands?
Reducio
An Errand is a task set by a Professor or Prefect to be completed by one or more Students. Errands can be a variety of tasks and are up to the Staff Members discretion. They can be compared to small scale adventures, that require only one thread from start to finish. They can also be thought of as optional 'chores'. Errands are completed in a single thread and can be completed by one Student, a group of Students or a Student(s) and a Staff Member(s) if they so wish to be a part of it. Errands should be consistently available through a variety of Staff Members and each should offer a unique task and reward.
Where can I find errands?
Reducio
You can find errands in the Errand portion of the Encyclopedia. You can find a full write up of our errand system here.
How do you join an errand?
Reducio
There is often a sign up page as well as instructions for where to go and what you need to do for an errand. Errands are public, meaning anyone can sign up for an errand. The only restriction is the fact that some errands might have a cap (they will only allow a certain number of players take part in the errand) in which case those that get to participate are first-come-first serve. In addition, some errands might require a certain location or knowledge of a certain spell, so you might need to meet certain prerequisites to participate. Simply read the errand information completely and ask questions if you have any.
Can I have my character participate in all errands?
Reducio
There is presently no cap on how many errands a user can participate in, but there is also usually only a couple of errands each and every month.
Can I start an errand?
Reducio
Only Prefects and Professors can start errands because there are certain rules that the maker needs to follow and they also have to seek Admin approval before releasing the errand. Players are encouraged to run their own activities and seek staff insight regarding the activity they wish to run but we do not generally micromanage group activities you choose to manage between yourselves.
What if I do no complete my errand?
Reducio
Most errands have criteria for completion. If the errand had a goal (such as cleaning a room) your character would have to in character participate in this. If they made everything worse, they would not be getting a reward. Also, all errands have word count requirements or post expectations as well as an end date, you would need to complete the task, satisfy the word count or post requirement and do all of this before the close/end date to get your reward.

If you are not able to complete the errand in time, you can still write their post after the deadline but they won't get any rewards.
Information Compiled by Solomon Lear.