Care of Magical Creatures

Register
Sign in

A Quest of Questions.  PV Prof. Griffith   Closed 

Hugh was not sure about this, not in the sleightest. He felt his figure shrinking as he took step after step, closer to his destination. The tales of this man had swarmed the school in a multitude of rumours and gossip. Some said he had eaten a student alive, that he hated them to the bone. Others described him as a fierce yet gentle giant, a paragon in honor and duty. Whatever the truth eventually be, he was soon to find out. Professor Griffith had only been sighted by Hugh's eyes on one occasion. That being inside the Gryffindor common room during the sleepover party earlier this year. Even then, Hugh had found mixed stories of those that had interacted with him.

Yet a knight was meant to be brave, and he was Gryffindor at that. The lion would not flee today. Besides, the boy had questions in need of answers. Silly questions he silently admitted. Or at least silly in the eyes of the expert he assumed. yet he would not enter the next stage without his confirmation. His confidence breaking under every step towards the large door with the dark chord. And with every breath, he wholeheartedly built upon his determination. Aye. He was ready for this encounter. His left locked in position much like holding an invisible shield. As if drawing his sword in valor, he reached out with his right and tightened his grip around the chord. One final breath, his eyes cast to the floor and... With one strong pull he stretched the chord downwards to signal the master of beasts.

"So we shall, my friend. We have witnessed - and, in fact, on several occasions incited - many great and weighty events. After all that toil, I believe we deserve a bit of a rest." - STR: 8 AGL 5 CTL: 7 STA: 10

The door slid open without a creak, and the tall, imposing broad shouldered shadow of a man in a heavy leather coat leaned out to discern who was at his door. His bright blue eyes contrasted harshly with the rest of his drab appearance. One hand was resting on the stone slab, the other was deeply entrenched in one of the large pockets. The little boy looked just a little bit familiar, but Griffith didn't know from where.

"Professor Griffith, Care of Magical Creatures. How can I help you."

He wasn't as annoyed as he could be, which was probably because he had already finished most of his chores and had even found finished eating the quarter hamburger he had carefully packaged in a takeout box he kept cleaning and reusing, for some reason he wasn't even sure of himself. It held some sort of sentimental value to him. He had placed enough charms on it, the once flimsy box was nigh invincible to mishandling, and it kept food cold like a mini fridge.

Still, just because he was in a better than average mood at being summoned to his door didn't mean he was going to come out smiling. His face was neutral, and just a bit severe. He was going to find out what this boy wanted before he even started to decide how to react.

“If this is a complaint would you mind sending it with an owl? It's easier to ignore."

Hugh could hear the copper horns sounding their retreat inside his head. With many a banner and shield left behind on the battlefield, he felt as if he were a lone unknown soldier facing their opponent. David making his stand versus Goliath. Stand up straight, eyes locked on target and be polite. And above all: Speak. He remembered his lessons well. As his father had always been convinced "manners maketh man". With courage sinking to only fill but his shoes, Hugh was left standing with only that which he could remember in his hour of need. He straightened his back, squared his shoulders. Cleared throat and wiggled nose. Advance.

"Hugh Lowe, Gryffindor. At your service Professor." The words flowed out like a well-rehearsed nursery rhyme. He had kept his tone neutral and tried hard to show as little emotion as his body permitted. Yet a worried look on his face announced the crack in his voice that would follow. "I- Ehem -came to ask about the ROAM project, sir." His face seemed flushed and the tie to his uniform pulled tight around his neck. "I'm terribly sorry to waste your time. Yet I felt the note somehow adressed only those specifically set to become Magi-zoo-ologists." The long word came down hard in between his babbling. One push and he was through his first attack. "But truth be told, sir. I have absolutely no clue at all what I want to be." He shook his head and rolled his sad, worried eyes upwards.

How apparently so many others of his age had already figured out where they'd like to end up was up for guesses. Hugh's mind was still often filled with fantasy rather than future. But with an announcement like ROAM he felt he wanted to participate, yet the underlying reason seemed to demand his prospects to be set in stone. The tall professor would surely hold the answers to his questions. As silly as it might seem in the eyes of the adult.

"So we shall, my friend. We have witnessed - and, in fact, on several occasions incited - many great and weighty events. After all that toil, I believe we deserve a bit of a rest." - STR: 8 AGL 5 CTL: 7 STA: 10

He was pleasantly surprised when the boy introduced himself. Who said "at your service" nowadays? Old fashioned chivalrous types, those who didn't know what manners were and had watched some monty python short, or the extremely sarcastic. But the little boy didn't seem too sarcastic, and it sounded like he had rehearsed the line previously, which would place him in the first category. And that, coupled with the inclusion of his house, made the Welshman immediately less grumpy.

The boy was coming to ask about the R.O.A.M program, because he thought that it was only for those who had a plan to become a magizoologist. It was called opportunities for aspiring magizoologists, after all.

"Don't worry about what you want to be when you grow up. I'm grown up and I still don't know what I want to be. You don't have to plan to be a Magizoologist to join R.O.A.M. If you're interested in magical creatures at all, just sign up and give it a shot. Do you like Creatures, magical or otherwise?"

The welshman smiled slightly. This was an actual question, brought to him by a very polite young boy. Or perhaps the better word was chivalrous. A good Gryffindor. At least, a good Gryffindor assuming he acted this way everywhere, and not just when in the presence of a professor.

“If this is a complaint would you mind sending it with an owl? It's easier to ignore."