Care of Magical Creatures

Register
Sign in
  Back   Reply

Curiosity killed the cat...

Well then. Looked like he had a entourage for dinner. Who knew, maybe Miko would show up too. Probably not though. 
Rowan adjusted his usually-green flowers that had- wait had they changed to red? Were they enchanted in some way? Who knew. He didn't notice or care. All he cared was that Min was safe at the moment. He wrapped an arm around her as she shifted closer, giving a sharp grin to the other girl who still had yet to mention her name. 

"Well then. Food it is, huh?"

Something dark had sparked in her eyes for a moment before she had said she wouldn't hurt min. 
Liar. Was the first thought to pop into his head.
There was black fire flickering in her pupils, an anger barely contained. But then it was gone. Extinguished by the honey coating her voice. Or was it hidden? Yes. Hidden. Not extinguished. Like a wall of amber, waiting to shatter and release the beast trapped within.
The very tips of the flowers had turned black now. But what did it mean? What did it correspond to?

"You can tell us more about yourself over food, yes? The only question is, what table to sit at? I believe I am in the company of two slytherins, so it would only be natural to sit at your table."

Yeah. A gryffindor and two slytherins. What an odd group. 
If they got through the night without any injuries, it would be a gods send.

Often lying, but not to you.

As they followed Rowan inside, Koko decided she'd try not to be so rude. "I'm Koko Riddle," she said, finally introducing herself. She wasn't really giving any hint of what she felt inside, because usually she didn't feel too much, but if she were to show some emotion, she'd likely be a bit more bubbly.

Her robes had been given a light dusting of snow, and some of the white powder had found its way into her hair. A flake landed on the bridge of her nose. She laughed spontaneously, because it had tickled. She didn't want the other two students to think she was weird, though, so she awkwardly turned it into a cough. A bird, one with rose-red feathers, landed on Koko's shoulder and a broad smile startled her as it worked its way into her expression. It was cardinal, shivering from the cold. It must have thought that she was either a next or a fellow bird, from her nest of caramel hair. She softly shooed the bird away, though, not wanting it to follow them inside. Or, for that matter, make a nest on her head.

Trying to start up a conversation, as well as not seem like a total maggot. "Does anyone have a favorite color?" she queried. She didn’t want to somehow steer the conversation towards herself, as she strongly disliked talking about her past, but she’d at least start off a conversation. “My personal favorites are black and white.” She liked the opposites. The two poles. Bipolar. Without waiting for anyone to reply, yet secretly hoping they would, she added, “Sorry about my attitude earlier. I hope I might be able to fix that.”

And finally, “yes, a Slytherin table is perfectly fine. As you have probably been able to tell with your friend, not all of us are maggots like me.”

We are but dust and shadows.

Min-seo bowed her head to Koko. "It's nice to meet you. I'm Min-seo. Min-seo Kim." she said with a small smile. Rowan wrapped an arm around her and she felt a little more comfortable, not as scared as before. She still was uneasy though. The snowflakes were catching on her long eyelashes and she blinked rapidly a few times to try to get them off. She looked at the caramel haired girl as she laughed but tried to pass it off with a cough. She raised an eyebrow, but she didn't want the other girl to feel uncomfortable, and so she began to look away, but a bird, it seemed to be a cardinal, landed on Koko's head. She smiled and giggled in a friendly way. Min-seo thought for a bit. "Favorite color? Hmmm, well, I love pastel colors, but a light lavender is my favorite," she said, pointing to her hair, which was in two buns and lavender ribbons were tied around them. She tilted her head slightly. "I don't think you're really a maggot, I bet you are fine." she said with a small smile. She didn't hate the girl, she was only slightly frightened of her in the beginning.

“I don't understand how people can be so mean to others. We're all living beings, is it that hard to accept?" ~Min-Seo
Stats: Strength: 4 Agility: 12 Control: 8 Stamina: 6

Stats- Strength-4 Agility-10 Control-10 Stamina-6

Well, that was a surprise. Most people though Koko was a total arsehole. Which she kind of was, in her opinion, only she tried to be. ”Thanks,” she said awkwardly. Yep, social awkwardness seemed to be her thing. She still, surprisingly, felt bad about interrupting the other stwo students’ conversation, but in a way she was glad she did. Koko kept watching the footprints behind the trio, sinking in new layers of snow. It was oddly satisfying to watch. With a sigh, she felt her face redden with embarrassment at just how bad she was at being social.

The pale white snow crunched under their feet. Sparkling snowflakes littered the air, catching in the trees' branches. Animals in the woods were likely scavenging for food. Food, such an easy necessity for the students to acquire. Koko's stomach rumbled as she thought about muffins, doughnuts, and of course, cake. She was really craving sugar.

She shivered due to the cold. She wanted to get inside, mostly for the food, but also for the warmth. For once, she'd actually have someone to talk to during her time in the Great Hall. A small smile flitted across her pale face, making her sharp features seem much less haunting. She finally caught up with Min-Seo and Rowan, trying to match their quick pace.

The cardinal was interesting to say the least. I diffused some of the tension. 
The flowers shifted from the black color back to a mild red.
Rowan took his winter cloak off, flipping it over his arm like a server might a towel. 

"No one called you a maggot."

He too hated how crowded it got most often. He hated almost everything about the great hall. Except the ceiling. The floating candles and the stars were quite possibly one of his most favorite sights. He preferred the cold though. It was always too stuffy and hot in the great hall for him. Yet another thing to add to the ever growing list.
He released Min and went to sit at the Slytherin table fearlessly, ignoring the very few odd looks he got. In fact, he seemed to blend in better with these people than the Gryffindors... Pale skin, calm, almost expressionless demeanor... It was definitely odd. Though he had a more peaceful aura, rather than the calculating and angry that most of the slytherins bore.
He took a worryingly small portion for himself as well, matching a few of the others at the table.
He should be lucky he wasn't falling over dead if that was how much he was taking every day.

Heat radiated off of all the candles inside the Entrance Hall. It was beautiful as she looked up, the candles dripping burning hot wax... Until a tiny droplet hit her cheek. She bit her bottom lip as not to scream, and immediately tasted blood. Shit! she exclaimed in her head. However, she still mindlessly followed after Min-Seo and Rowan, getting odd glances cast at her from fellow Slytherins as well as Rowan's fellow Gryffindors. Koko felt embarrassed. Totally embarrassed. Her one cheek was searing with red-hot pain, and her other was smiling softly as to hide her grimace.

The fire in her eyes had become nearly uncontrollable as a wave of fury washed over her. It wasn't aimed at anyone but herself. Herself, for being so stupidly mesmerized by the candles. For allowing something to hurt her. The pain was almost unbearable as she felt the skin split under the burn. It couldn't really be that bad, but the candles were magical. Perhaps that changed their properties. Koko took a seat on Rowan's right at the Slytherin Table. Usually, being seated on somebody's right was a good thing.

"I never said anyone called me a maggot except myself," Koko finally said. It came out as more of a bark, though, because of her trying to fight off the burning sensation on her face. A bead of sweat rested precariously on her upper lip. She squeezed her eyes shut, trying not to burst into tears at this mortification--until she realized she was only making it worse. She could go to Madam Pomfrey later. She relaxed just the tiniest bit and let out a small moan of pain, only to stop herself from completely loosening. She'd still have to keep some composure. After a moment of wait, she reached out to take a grape. To start small on her sore jaw. She munched on the fruit, watching those around her, and silently hoping that nobody thought more ill of her now.

Min-seo sat down at the Slytherin table next to Rowan. She was quite hungry, for she didn't have any lunch this afternoon. She started to grab some things and pile them on her plate. She looked back at Koko, who seemed...odd. She was smiling but grimacing at the same time, and Min-seo couldn't tell if she was in pain or not. Min-seo was thoroughly confused at the girl's actions. Did she hurt her face? There wasn't anything visible as far as she could see. Then she saw the burn mark. How did that happen? The girl slipped a moan of pain and Min-seo heard it. She turned her head back, starting to eat her food again.
"I never said anyone called me a maggot except myself."

the other girl said loudly. Min jumped, a bit frightened. The other girl came and sat down and began to eat a grape. Min-seo raised an eyebrow. "Well, I don't think you should call yourself that, Koko. And also, what happened? You seem in pain." Min-seo said, confused and worried about the girl. She got like this a lot, where she worries for everyone but herself. She really wished she didn't do this, for she felt like she got too attached to people, and then in the end they leave her.

“I don't understand how people can be so mean to others. We're all living beings, is it that hard to accept?" ~Min-Seo

Rowan had made that mistake before. He watched her carefully as the wax had landed.
She was simply lucky it hadn’t falled into her eye. Now that would have really hurt. Put her in the hospital wing, to be exact, most likely.
And leave it to Min to make small talk.
When she jumped, he placed his hand on hers briefly. I’m right here. There’s no need to be scared. He seemed to say, before his hand retracted again, supporting his chin. He almost looked like he could be bored, had it not been for the little smile on his face. 

“Yeah, call yourself Koko, it is your name after all. There’s ice in your water that you can put on your face, by the way. It’ll reducd the inflammation as well. Wouldn’t want that wax to leave a mark.”

Rowan took a sip of his own drink, snapping an ice cube between his teeth, emphasising his point.
Crunchy.
Anyhow, Rowan was still eating like nothing. Quite literally, nothing. His plate was empty now as he had finished the five bites or so of food that he actually took. The grapes Koko had obtained were looking good though, from across the table. 

“Pass the grapes?”

”Ah... thanks,” Koko mumbled awkwardly. ”I think I’ll be fine... it’s not that bad.” It was true. The flaming sensation had stopped spreading. Wrapping a piece of ice in a napkin and placing it gently on her cheekbone, she registered Rowan asking something.
“Pass the grapes?”
Koko reached out with her other hand and slid the basket of grapes towards him, only after taking a stem of grapes for herself. They tasted absolutely delicious. Koko wasn’t too hungry, but she was craving bread. Her eyes scanned the table for some rolls, and she came up with garlic bread. It wasn’t really her favorite food...

Min-Seo had said something, too, hadn’t she? Koko, being herself, hadn’t been paying too much attention to the others; it was something she could fix. The other girl was... concerned? ”Don’t worry about me,” Koko tried to reassure her. Koko didn’t normally like to be worried about, somewhat caused by a slight fear that it would inconvenience others. That was something she was accidentally great at, inconveniencing others.

She brushed the garlic off the bread onto her plate. It scattered, looking like a tiny corner of farmland—except that the plate was circular. It reminded her of those “who was the murderer” rhymes. In a circular house, it was always the maid cleaning the corners. She finally took a knife, a sharp one, and butted her bread, all whist wondering why a school would have sharp metal knives...

Min-seo glanced at Koko with a worried expression on her face, agreeing with Rowan on the ice idea. She'd personally never burnt herself from candle wax before, but she had definitely burnt herself before. Koko said for Min to not worry. Shit, she had done it again. Just worrying. She seemed to worry about everyone. Even people she had just met. She internally slapped herself in the face before looking at Koko with a small smile and tilted her head. "Eheh, sorry. I just tend to worry. I hope you're alright," she said sheepishly. God, she was an idiot. Why did she exist again? She looked down at her pale, small hands. She was too thin. At least that's what her brother told her, when he was thin himself. She wasn't a complete stick, but she was small. People usually compared her to a bunny, or maybe a mouse. Small and quiet. She picked up a few strawberries and a popover and began to spread the butter onto the hollow pastry. She brushed the strands of hair away from her deep brown eyes before she began to eat. The food was actually really good here, not that she didn't expect it to be.

"Thanks."

He took the bowl from her, taking a small handful before passing it to the next person who was already asking for it. 
Two things caught his attention. First, the downcast look Min-seo had acquired, And second, the questioning look Koko was giving the knife next to her. He took the blade from beside her, placing it instead on his plate, popping a few grapes in his mouth quickly to make a little more space.

"For meats. Steak. Pork. Things like that. Don't worry about it too much. It's actually quite hard to sneak them out of the great hall, surprisingly enough."

He then turned to Min-seo, taking her hand gently between his. 
Rowan raised a brow carefully, bending his head down to her level, which wasn't a lot actually. He was only slightly taller than her. Anyhow. He wanted to make sure his friend was alright. He knew what it was like to be in such a dark place.

"Are you alright? We can go if you want to talk. Or if you need a walk."

He whispered, rubbing his thumb across the back of her hand, feeling the bones under her thin skin. Their skin tones actually matched surprisingly well. Both pale as parchment. Her undertones were just more yellow, while his were more pink. 

Endless luck. That was what she once thought that she had. Now, that was obviously an incorrect assumption. She really was the type of person who was a natural improviser rather than a careful planner--which had led her to be so indifferent with the other Slytherin. If the other girl was anything like Koko herself, she'd have strong emotions that were at least deeply hidden, if not more visible.

Min-seo seemed a little upset by Koko's earlier reply. "Sorry," Koko said in a rushed tone. "I meant that I don't really think people should have to worry about me. You can if you want." Koko's burn already felt better. She glanced downwards awkwardly as she registered Rowan saying something about the reason the school had the knives. "Oh," she mumbled. "I should have known that..."

Leaning back in the chair, she offered Min-seo one of the cookies that she had acquired. "Would you like one?" Koko asked quietly. She didn't want to seem shy, but in a sense she was. In front of people, she would seem spontaneous one minute and reserved the next. It was just her personality.

She shot a weak smile at the other two, who were sitting across from her. Koko didn't feel very comfortable with them yet. Not because they did anything wrong--she had a feeling that it was her. Not that she could do much to change it... but it would explain some of the awkwardness she felt.

Min-seo wasn't sad, she was just embarrassed of herself in general. She just wished that she wasn't so...caring. She looked at Koko in surprise. ”Oh! Don’t worry, there’s no need to be sorry. I just try to help people too much. I’m okay, I’m just....thinking.” she said. She felt Rowan grab her hand and ask if she wanted to talk. She squeezed it and shook her head. “I’m okay, thank you though.” she said with a small smile. She wasn’t fine at all. Not because of the Koko incident, but because she was so stressed over schoolwork and everything that was happening. She pushed it down and tried not to think about it, but it just popped up. She didn’t want people worrying about her, just like Koko, because she felt like she wasn’t worth the trouble. She turned back to Koko for she was asking a question. She nodded slightly. “Why not?” she said softly. She took the cookie from Koko. ”Thank you,” she said quietly. She started to nibble on the cookie, feeling quite small. Min-seo glanced at Koko and noticed she felt....well...a little awkward and uncomfortable. Min-seo tilted her head to the side slightly. She hoped that she wasn’t doing anything wrong.

Liar. You bloody Liar. You're not okay. 
All of the warning lights in Rowan's head were flashing, but he hesitantly dropped Min's hand, nodding at her statement. She said she was fine, but everything about her sudden personality change stated otherwise. She got quieter, and seemed to curl in on herself almost. 
But-
Rowan knew what it was like to be pushed at when he wasn't feeling like talking. So he would respect the poor attempt at dismissing his worry, and keep to himself, with all the "no you're not okay"'s and the "Please talk to me"'s. 
Instead he turned to Koko.

"Yeah. It's okay. I questioned the knives when I was first here too. I believe my question was 'why are they trusting bloody eleven year old's with serrated blades?' until I realized they were enchanted."

Still his gaze flicked back to Min-seo multiple times, making sure his decision to drop the subject was correct. If she continued to worsen though, he would riot. He knew how the self deprecation train ran as well. Choo chooooooo.
Anyhow, he hoped it wouldn't come to that. 
As much as he would try to help, he wasn't the most stable person either.

Were they all crazy? That was a very good question. One that couldn’t be answered. Rowan seemed less guarded than before, but Koko knew not to try to say too much. Min-see still seemed downcast. Koko apparently hadn’t done enough to try to help... not that cookies were that helpful. They would only help Koko’s intentions. Definitely not anyone’s perceptions of her, though. That was up to everyone else.

It wasn’t even that she cared much what others thought. Some thought she was a great and caring friend, some thought she was a total arsehole, and others thought she was in between. You just had to see the right sides of her. She tried to analyze the tone of the room, but she’d never been good at a whole room. Only a few people at once.

The grapes had been really delicious, but she wasn’t about to ask for them back. Instead, she reached out with her fork for a brownie that looked particularly tempting. The chocolate... chocolate was her worst vice. Koko cut off a small corner of it and slid it into her mouth, letting it dissolve in a sea of rich chocolate. ”Sorry about that... I never think before I talk.” She then let a glance flicker around the room before landing, resting steadily on Rowan. She didn’t mean to intimidate him; only read him to see what might be happening inside his head. It was something that the Slytherin used to do often, but now it was only on occasion, for she had no reason to do it most days. Right now she was bored, though, and boredom could make others do things they might not do otherwise. Like try to decode someone’s emotions. Yes, that was plain boredom... or was it curiosity?

Back   Reply