Care of Magical Creatures

Register
Sign in

Truth and Trials  Pv Morfran Griffith   finished 

Elena caught the coat and pulled it around her. She stood a little straighter as the warmth seeped into her, she was surprised that the professor had left the door open, she decided that he must've meant for her to follow. So she walked into the office. She tried to look confident as she walked to the desk but instead sort of collapsed, the cold and Griffith's sarcasm had sapped her of her strength. She had expected to read her letters, hide her things, and then go.

"I had hoped that maybe you were nicer than the gossip, it's often overstated." Elena fiddled with the hem of the cloak, " I never had any reason not to believe them, everything else they told me was true. They did actually save up for me once. They got me new shoes last christmas. I guess that's not a whole lot though."

"I guess I am the one that makes the most money, but to be fair I am the only one which can take watches off of people's wrists." Elena rubbed the back of her neck and looked down, "And if they are scamming me what do I do? I can't leave the younger ones behind."

When It All Comes Down To Dust I Will Kill You If I Must
Strength - 7 Agility - 8 Control - 9 Stamina - 6

"Well, surprise, it wasn't. Not having any reason to not question things is how you get killed. Aren't you slytherins supposed to know that, to at least be familiar with the concept of not being a total sheep? You're acting like a hufflepuff. Stop.

Oh, new shoes. Oh boy, never mind I was totally wrong. And let's be clear on one more thing. You are 11. That is nothing. If you have 'younger ones' then that means they are quite a bit younger than you are. And that means you are ruining their lives and their hope for a better one. They're cute now, I can almost guarantee that.

That means some gullible prospecting parent would adopt them, care and love for them and actually give them some semblance of a life instead of a bag full of tiny coins hoarded by an 11 year old. Foster homes, adoption centers. Any of those would be better than life on the streets, do you even know what you're doing? Does Professor Jensen know any of this?"

He honestly wasn't sure what to make of that. This girl was using some kind of fake familial ties to keep some little kids on the streets. And then it started to dawn on him that this girl, too, must be living on the streets. Maybe she just wanted company, a family.

How utterly selfish.

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.”

Her sad little orphan thing was digging her into a deeper hole, she'd need to tell him her plan. In full, otherwise she'd probably be kicked out. Her demeanor changed to that of defeat, he'd figured it all out. She still didn't think she was being scammed, but there was something wrong there.

"Nobody knows but you. The only reason I've told you this much is because you're the only one that even has a chance of believing me." Elena shuffled her feet, "Most of them have parents, parents that if they were given back to them would just hurt them again. I'm the only one except Eliza without any. "

"I've told them to take Eliza to the care centre in the past but they haven't listened, the one time that I tried to do it myself they found out, intercepted me, and threatened to kick me out if I did it again." Elena fidgeted, "That's when I thought that they might be overly paranoid. So I kept going. I'm worried what will happen if I don't keep sending them money. I hoped if I learned enough magic I could get her away and then I wouldn't need them anymore."

"No, you told me this much because I told you to, and you wanted to. I have the same likelihood of believing you that any other professor would have. That's called abusive, and they report it, it's investigated and then they are taken away from said parents. I'm aware you're young, but this is ridiculous. The muggles have systems. Take advantage of them, use them at least.

...Wait. so they're holding this girl hostage. And you've been calling them friends? Explain that one, if you can. You are being naive and stupid. Extremely, extremely stupid. This is... okay look. Give me their description and where they hang out. I'll handle it. And then you can focus on your studies and stop worrying about being blackmailed by some stupid children."

Why was he going to go and fix this again? It sounded like work, like a lot of work. That he didn't really want to do for some snake. But he couldn't get himself to not do something. It was almost infuriating how badly he wanted to kick her out and not do anything, and how deeply he knew there was no way he was going to do that.

Go, find the children, report them and their abusive parents and find them a decent care center. Problem solved, done and done.

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.”

Someone was willing to actually help her? Damn, she should've come to a professor a while ago. God knows this whole experience would've been a lot easier. She pulled out a page of her notebook and wrote the addresses that they usually go to. Eliza had updated her last time as to the new place that they hung out, so she added that to the list too. Thank god for seven year olds, they tell their favourites everything. Elena was happy to get this sorted, she'd be able to tell Rorie that Eliza was safe, that she didn't have to worry anymore.

Maybe Elena could take her coins and get some sweets, that would be a fine idea, treat her and Rorie to some ice-cream.

"I didn't think anybody would help." She said and handed him the page, "Maria has short brown hair, a tan, and is relatively tall. Yakin is a black kid, curly hair, relatively short. Aria is pale, blonde, and about 4 foot. Eliza is about eight, tell her that you know me and she'll follow you anywhere."

She looked up at Griffith, "Thank you, thank you so much."

Elena backed away and practically sprinted out of the stables.