Care of Magical Creatures

Register
Sign in
  Back   Reply

Prof. Griffith's door.  IC questions 

“I’m not saying a hippogriff is an astronomer, I’m saying they’re not as dull as like plants. Some people like plants better, they’re not my thing companion whise.” He grumbled. The ministry really wasn’t the best. Which is where he was bluffing, mostly. He got most of the ‘not dying’ part from books. He learned the very basics about behavior from whatever lap dog creature his father adopted for the month. And the teacher was right. They weren’t all that complex from what he could see. They were mostly drugged out of their minds and put up on display. But when they weren’t in their pristine cages, when it was the middle of the night before their next sedative potion, he went out to play. His father was amazed at times when they needed to move the beast and it listened to Rowan. He really wasn’t hoping thats what it would be here. He wanted the undrugged creatures 24/7. 
Rowan was only a child though.
He noticed the professor’s reaction, sighing softly. “I know what my father showed me weren’t the... well they were the real but they weren’t... right. The creatures. I want to see the real ones. I understand that you’re probably not excited about me being around them because I may not have experienced the... real animals. Just the lap dog ones. There’s something wrong with the animals father brings home. They give them something. It makes them dull. But you’re worried that I’ll get injured by the real thing, right?” This kid was either really good at BSing or just really good at reading people’s emotions. That said he could be completely wrong. 
And Rowan seemed to just not answer the candy question.

My eyes are of the darkest storm raging across the sea, but my heart of spun sugar, sweet and fragile, about to shatter.

And just like that, the professor had learned a little bit more. Not a whole lot, but enough. What was strange to the man was that the kid didn't really answer to what he had said at all. It was more like a random statement, something the boy had to get off of his chest. It coincidentally pertained to what he had just been upset over, so in his own mind's eye he was glad that he was able to get validation for what he had been suspecting. It was just weird that the kid would say something like that without a prompt. Whoever he was, he certainly wasn't very good at conversation.

He kept calm, again. He had already steeled himself against the knowledge of what this boy's father was doing, and confirmation of something he had already prepared against wasn't going to make him look worried. He would focus on answering the boy's questions, and posing those of his own.

"Not just that. Sure, I don't want you to get hurt. But I don't want the creatures to get hurt either. Does that make sense? Tell you what. If you want, you can come on inside, I think I can help you, at least a little bit. And do you really not like candy? I don't think I've ever met a kid that didn't like candy of some form or another."

He opened the slab door a little wider, and stepped to the side to allow entrance to the spartanic room with the coat rack, desk, and two chairs. He wasn't going to ask about the boy's father. That didn't matter right now. The kid mattered. He needed help first, then the man could see about doing something about the creatures.

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.”

Ooc: Am I the only one imagining the tiny flower child now being guarded by big grumpy man? Lmao
And in that, you are correct. The child was shit at conversion. He no longer had a plan, so he would ramble at times. But enough of that.

“Oh. Yes. I usually assume they can hold their own against someone as small as me. But I guess there is dieting and whatnot to factor.” And now invited in, the tiny child walked inside of the office, eyes quickly darting around. He gathered information surprisingly fast, as he soon enough turned back to the teacher, looking up at him again. 
Gosh the child was short.
“I mean, I like caramel, but you’re already doing enough for me.”
Well... that’s what you get for having a reputation as the grumpy no nonsense man. 
The boy was expecting a price for everything. 
He took off his hood, but kept his cloak on still for a moment. 
And for once he wasn’t rambling. He kept quiet, and kept his head down, realizing how out of hand he must be. How irritating. He wasn’t going to chance this opportunity now by being a loud mouth. 
“Your reasons do make sense, in all honesty. They have brawns but we have... well intelligence and brute force sometimes...” 

My eyes are of the darkest storm raging across the sea, but my heart of spun sugar, sweet and fragile, about to shatter.

The boy more slunk in then walked, and the flow of words seemed to have stopped dead. Only quiet observations and responses, matched with a meekness that seemed sort of amplified in the stark bareness of the office. Still, that was sort of expected. Outdoors wasn't all that new. New areas made people uncomfortable, just like creatures. That wasn't anything new, or different. He expected it. But change was good.

If the body changed environments to something new, it, too, had to change and adapt. And something that was changing or adapting was a lot harder to mold. Although in this case he wasn't trying to mold very much. Just trying to leave a positive impression. Which was hard enough to handle. The advantage change gave would be necessary.

"One second."

The man's hand vanished in his pocket, then his entire forearm before it reappeared holding a caramel. Holding it in his hand, he walked with long strides to his chair on the other side of the desk, and tossed the candy to the boy with one hand, gesturing to the chair with the other, indicating that sitting was encouraged.

"Catch. Don't let it stick your mouth shut. And some creatures are a whole lot smaller than you are. Now if you don't mind, please take off those shiny earrings and rings you've got. Stash them in a pocket or something."

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.”

There was really no reason for Rowan to have any verbal response to either statements, though he did as he was told, taking earrings, rings, bracelets, and necklaces off. I would say it was a bit of a surprising amount, but that would be an understatement of sorts. He found somewhere to stash it all thankfully.
As he sat across from the Professor, he ran over two different things.
First- the list of reasons why he may be helping him. Which all and all, was short, and not all of the reasons great.
Second- trying to figure out which creatures would require no shinies. Nifflers came to mind first. Which would make sense too because the professor was talking about creatures smaller than him. However stashing the jewelry in a pocket probably wouldn’t be sufficient enough for them to keep from stealing it.
The Bane looked back up at the Professor, giving him a curious look.
“I still have no clue why you’re doing this. You were to the point and very ‘stay out’ and ‘serious business only’ a minute ago. What changed, sir? You don’t even have me in a class yet.”
Although I would love to be in his class. 
The flower child placed the caramel in his pocket, still so hesitant to take anything from him, and only now remembering to observe formalities. 
Why was Rowan even questioning this? It was what he wanted so why wasn’t he just taking it and running?
The child really was odd. Rambling one moment, and silent as a statue the next.
He was the kind though where the silence was just calm and relaxed, most often not awkward in any way. 
His grey eyes flicked from the Professor to the room again, going over it for a second time. This may be a long day.
But thankfully, the child wasn’t crying or anything anymore.

Shiny things on small children were never a good idea, with basically any creature. Little dragons loved shinies, most birds loved shinies. As a rule, magical creatures loved all that sparkled, although of course with differing degrees of intensity. He had something for the boy, something he figured would help the situation.

The boy displayed that perceptive nature again when he asked the welshman what changed. Asked him what had happened to so swiftly change his mind. The signs were to keep out random students just looking to pet a dragon because they could. He always told students in his class that if they actually needed help with homework, or with something pertaining to Care of Magical Creatures they could come to him. This boy had come to his door crying and offering to do work in order to get himself in close proximity to a creature to calm himself down. This boy came from a house with a truly messed up father figure, and was clearly incredibly confused. If that didn't constitute a need for help, the professor didn't know what did.

"Wait here."

He opened the second door, enough to slip through. It only took him about a minute before the man showed up, holding a small, squirming, mostly blind, two tailed puppy. It could sort of sniff about, and crawl. But it was clearly a baby, and not really smart enough yet to react positively to anything other than warmth, or it's own mother's heartbeat.

"I don't waste time on people already wasting their own. Now calm down, relax, and just hold it. This is a Kruppy, I'll be using them in a future R.O.A.M event when they're a bit bigger. If you hold it close and keep it warm, it'll take a nap. I think you'll find there's nothing more therapeutic than a sleepy puppy."

It made him nervous when the Professor just suddenly disappeared.

Rowan knew exploring the room would be an immediate and flat out no, it was an invasion of privacy. He knew he was expected to just keep sitting. But... 
Thankfully it didn’t take long for the professor to get back.
And he was holding the most adorable creature in existence.

Oh.

Rowan paused, nervous for a split second, before taking it from the Professor, readjusting his position in the chair from grr prefect pureblood to an actually relaxed state. It was almost comical how visable the changes were- how much tension was built up in the tiny child. Oh how right the professor was. Puppies were the best therapy.

He held it close to his chest, right next to his heart, taking care to support it’s head, because yeah, that was a thing, right? You did it with human babies too.

“Does he have a name?”

Rowan asked softly, after he finally got over gawking. The puppy was likely already asleep by this time. Rowan may or may not have already fallen in love with this thing. 

And it was only the first creature he had really met. 

Welp. 

Needless to say Rowan would most likely be visiting on a regular of sorts, at this rate.

He could practically feel the little ball of tension evaporate, as he knew it would. A kruppy only felt the stress a little bit, and not enough for it to matter. Besides, it had been playing with it’s litter mates all day, and was understandably tired enough to fall asleep anywhere. Holding a little tired, warm baby creature was some of the best stress relief he knew of. When the boy asked what the kruppy’s name was, the professor smiled, just a bit.

“She doesn’t have one yet. I was thinking about letting the students name one each, for the R.O.A.M event. But if you want to suggest a name, I wouldn’t be against some creative advice. And I know it’s easier to calm down when it’s quiet, but there’s a peace to loud rumble and crowds, too. It’s just harder to find. That kruppy spent all day tumbling about, and now it's tuckered out, and happy.
I want you to honestly try to calm down with other people, not just out here, with a kruppy. Think of it as homework. I have to go take care of some work. When you’re more relaxed, just put her in this basket. It’s got a charm on it, it’ll stay warm. You can give me name ideas later.”

And with that, the professor opened a drawer, pulled out a small basket with a blanket inside that seemed to emanate warmth, and put it on the desk. Reaching into a pocket, he pulled on a pair of gloves, put them on, and walked off through the second door, into the main stables.
Thread left, unless stopped/called after

Oh yes, wise sage, if he had just thought to calm down.
As much as the Professor meant well, it truthfully was harder than anyone thought. 
His brain was... well rowan would call it broken, in all honesty. His brain took in faster than it could process the information. He could handle up to three conversations at once, but past that... it was a nightmare. So places like the great hall were practically a death trap for his struggling mind.

But there had to be a way... right?

"Thank you Professor." 

He mumbled, already trying to figure some sort of solution out, while he had a calm environment like this. What was it about this that calmed him? Limited inputs, mostly. The animals were an anchor most often, something for him to focus on when the rest of the world was chaos. Something predictable, yet not repetitive. 
He ran his thumb down the puppy's head, petting it gently.
Her heartbeat in his hands, the constant droning beat, acted as such an anchor for a time like this, where his thoughts weren't the brightest, or clearest.
He stayed sitting like this for several hours (Maybe two or so), lost in though, with glazed eyes.
Eventually though, it became apparent he was overstaying his welcome, so he carefully deposited the Kruppy into the basket, snuggling it up in the blankets, before leaving silently, taking care not to wake the beast.
He would need to figure this out eventually. He couldn't be dependent on the professor's kindness forever. Griffith would grow tired of him eventually, as there was only so much a person could handle.
The crisp chill of the snow greeted him as he found a place to sit by the lake.

Reducio
Thread left (for now)

Back   Reply