Care of Magical Creatures

Register
Sign in

Pesky Bundimuns  PV   Closed 

It's a fairly sunny day, but not especially hot, fortunately for the gathering crowd of students on the grounds, who are all awaiting the arrival of the last few pupils. One of them, Asher Lundell, is on his way at the moment, with a worn leather bookbag slung over his shoulder. It bounces and hits against his narrow hips with his every step as he sprints his lanky self over the grass. Finally, he reaches his final destination. The group. He situates himself at the back as quickly as possible in a final effort not to attract any more attention than need be (he was nervous enough with people giving him the side eye). And then, the teacher -who he could only assume was at the mouth of the lot of them, because he couldn't see him-, began to speak...
"I've gathered you all here today for a lesson on Bundimuns. Bundimuns are a type of pest that feed on dirt, and if left to populate, can destroy an entire house. It's best to remain at least 5 feet away from those dirty buggers, and avoid handling them, because they'll spit acid on you if you don't. That said, let's get this started. I'm going to put you all in sets of three. Starting with..."

Interesting -and threatening- as the creatures sounded, the Hufflepuff zoned out as soon as groups were mentioned. He hated groups. Not because he was a control freak, but because of his social anxiety and trust issues. And besides, he didn't know who he was going to be paired with. They could be hateful, they could be bullies, they could be extremely intolerable, they co--
"Lundell. You're with the Bundimun on your far left." His heart sunk as he glanced around, very briefly, too. He didn't recognize anyone here. But he was an obedient child, so he slinks off in the direction he was pointed. "Miss Haven, mister Kells, you'll be with him. Follow along. And don't forget: maintain five feet of space. Work together."
He barely caught wind of who he was being partnered with, already too far away to hear the mini speech, briskly walking to the beast they'd be conquering today. From five feet away, it didn't look so threatening at all. It was only a splotch of what looked to be green fungus, with many eyes stemming from it. He didn't see how that was supposed to integrate into the other places on the fence where it grew, but he wasn't about to question it, either. Hm. It's kinda cute.
He let himself be distracted and forget about what exactly he was here for a minute there, engrossed in studying the Bundimun. But the footfall behind him that was growing exponentially louder was a surefire reminder of why he was so stressed. He peeks over his shoulder, swallowing a lump in his throat in the process. His cheeks were even paler than usual -induced by anxiety-, with a spray of freckles over them. To contrast with his ivory complexion, his longer-length dark brown hair framed his face, and topping it all off, were a pair of gorgeous, crystal clear, turquoise eyes. A handsome young man, indeed, who was currently conflicted with fight or flight instincts.
This is going to be a long period...

Reducio
Took me a while to type up, because the internet kept cutting out and deleting my work. Lmao, I must've written this twice before it sent the third time.
Last edited by Asher Lundell on 26th April 2018, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Lundell~

Alec Kells ran from the very front of the group, up to exactly 5 feet away from the creature, his brown lucks bouncing as he ran. “Finally! Care of Magical Creatures! This is great..” he turned to the boy next to him. “Isn’t this great?! Well, i’ve Already wandered around the woods a bit, found some creatures that i’d Like to make friends with. But this is the first proper class! What do we do with these things? I mean, i’ve Read about them obviously, but..” the excitable boy kept going on, his hands waving in every direction.

Alec seemed to finally notice the boy next to him. “Oh! I don’t believe we’ve met. Your in Hufflepuff too? I’m Alec Kells, Utah you can just call me Alec, cuz that’s my name. I’m not always this.. well, HYPER, but it’s CARE of MAGICAL CREATURES!!!! wasn’t there someone else supposed to be partnered with us? I didn’t really hear anything past ‘starting with.’ The boy practically vibrated with excitement, turning back to the creature.

“Ok, so the Bindimun is found ALL over the world, and it’s used in some potions, including Doxicide. Scouring charms can clear small infestations, but larger colonies should be handled by the ministry workers. When their acid is diluted, it can be used in many Magical cleaning solutions.” Alec kept spitting out facts, walking around in a circle to observe the pest. At one point, she picked up a rock, and threw it over the creature. Low and behold, it spit it’s acid at the rock, and the rock slowly melted away on the forest floor.

You can only walk halfway into a problem, from then on you are walking out. -me

Observing the other male as he bounced in his direction, he instantly registered the excitement that seeped from his very being. How he didn't notice Asher as he stood there, he'd never know. But for now, his main concern is: a, not to screw this up, and b, not to do anything reckless. Not that he was very well known for recklessness, but you could never be too sure.
The boy turned to him, practically shouting in his face. He visibly shrunk in his spot. How awkward. He's excited, too. But not to that degree. Granting his fellow Hufflepuff the benefit of the doubt, he speaks up, in the most courageous voice he could muster. For an 11 year old, his tone is kind of deep, but certainly not as sonorous as that of a grown man. "I'm partial to potions, myself, but I do love learning about new animals, so this should be a fun class." Cool eyes glared back into his own, and he found himself averting his attention over to the treeline, so it wouldn't feel like he was staring.
"But yes, I'm in Hufflepuff. My name is Asher Lundell. Nice to meet yo--" An onslaught of facts disrupts his sentence, and he chooses to be quiet instead of trying to speak over the ranting lad. Much as he loved to read, and despite the amount he's studied, he didn't know enough about the Bundimun. So, it wasn't like the rant is unwelcome. His only issue with it, is that Alec is talking so much, he's barely had enough time to respond, himself.
"Good to know." He adds, watching as the odd, talkative character picks up, and hurls, a rock at the animal. "I... really don't know if you should be doing that. You might endanger someone." And here, he exposed the mature side of himself. "I don't mean to nag, of course. I just.." I'm terrible making friends, that's what.

~Lundell~

Odette stood quietly in the back of the crowd listening to what the teacher was saying. She was silently hoping that it would be individual work, not because she didn't want to work with others but because she gets nervous around new people. She doesn't want to embarrass herself and she's clumsy enough as it is. She tuned back into the teacher speaking when he said they were going to have groups of three. "Lundell. You're with the Bundimun on your far left." She watched as a young Hufflepuff boy walked over to the Bundimun. "Miss Haven, mister Kells, you'll be with him. Follow along. And don't forget: maintain five feet of space. Work together."

Odette watched as another Hufflepuff boy ran from the crowd towards the boy and the bundimun. Sighing quietly, Odette walked kind of slow and looking down at the ground to make sure she didn't trip over anything. She's already been bullied in her previous schools and she didn't want that to happen here.

When she got to the two boys and the bundimen, one of them was talking excitedly. Odette giggled to herself and watched in amusement. The other boy looked uncomfortable but introduced himself as Asher Lundell. She doesn't think the boys have noticed her yet.

"We should love, not fall in love, because everything that falls gets broken."
- Is in love with Fictional Characters -

Alec stopped, seemingly thinking about something. “Did you say something? Sorry, I aspire to work in this feild and know quite a bit, and I had a few more scoops of sugar in my oatmeal than usual this morning.” Alec giggled, turning to the anxious boy. “I’m Alec Kells, don’t know if I said that. I don’t even know what i’ve Said!.” Alex laughed, noticing how the black haired boy looked uncomfortable. “Hey, are you ok? You look kind of.. scared. And pale. And.. not ok. Sorry if i’m A little overwhelming, just passionate. Trust me, i’m A lot quieter outside this class. Don’t worry, I don’t bite!” Alec chuckled, turning and noticing the third person in the group, slowly walking up to the two boys.. “Hello! Oh, your in Ravenclaw? That’s cool! I’m in Hufflepuff, my name is Alec Kells, nice to meet you!” Alec smiled, coming down from his adrenaline high. He painted a little, looking expectingly at the Ravenclaw girl, taking in her slim figure, and dark hair. He finally set his bag down on the Forrest floor, taking out a notebook and a mechanical pencil. “I never liked using quills, not really practical.” He chuckled, plopping down and getting ready to take notes on the creature in front of him. He was exited to observe the behaviors of the creature, all he knew were facts, and he was ecstatic to get to know the creatures of the school.

He deadpanned at first, but gradually, as Alec explained himself, grew a more neutral expression, and finally, he simpered. "That's quite alright. We all have our moments. I'm pretty excited to be here too, even though, honestly, I kinda want to throw up. Everywhere. All over this nice, green gra-AH!"
Like he thought, the stone pelting had really ticked that Bundimun off, and it shot acid out of itself, the spray ending right at Lundell's feet, missing the tips of his shoes by a centimeter or so. Now he understood why the instructor had told them to stay 5 feet away. Any closer, and his foot would be gone by now.
"Merlin, that was a close one." He panted, traumatized by the injury that could've been. And that signified the arrival of the third member, who he assumed was the Miss Haven mentioned earlier. His age, with a feminine face. Good thing this team wasn't strictly males. They'd be needing someone this group to lead, and he totally wasn't the leader type of guy.
He offers the female, and Alec, a warm smile without barging in on their introductions to eachother, instead, tucking his hand into his bookbag to rummage around for his on-the-go ballpoint pen, and field journal for his observations. While they're distracted, he jots down a few notes. Might as well make himself useful. Get a good grade.

~Lundell~

Alec saw the spray, and jotted down a few notes on o that particular specimen sprayed it's acid. he took out a glass vial, casting a spell on it and scooping up some of the stuff with help of a stick. "Beutiful green.." Alec murmured, storing the jar in his robes after making sure none was on the outside of the bottle. he sketched out a quick, and surprisingly good sketch of the creature, before turning to the ravenclaw girl, smiling sweetly. "As i said, i'm Alec Kells, pleasure to meet you. What's your name?" he turned to the other boy. "and, i didn't catch your name either, sorry"

Alec was still quite buzzed, butt had calmed down enough to have a regular conversation. as he sat on the ground, talking with the other two children in his group, he observed how the acid interacted with the ground, jotting down quick notes in his messy chicken scrawl handwriting, never breaking the conversation. he had done it many times before, scribbling down notes while holding a perfectly normal conversation with someone, though it was usually one of his fathers, as he studies both magical creatures and muggle animals alike, taking in and caring for many, treating wounds and observing similarities and differences, not only between different species, but between different animals in the same species.

Odette smiled nervously. The one boy, Alec, seemed kind of talkative but not necessarily in a bad way. "Um- My name is Odette Haven. It's nice to meet you both." She takes her bag off her shoulder and sets it on the ground before sitting down far enough away from the Bundimun. She didn't feel like losing an arm or anything today.

It was a good thing that she backed away too because she could only gasp in surprise when it shot acid out of itself, the spray ending right at Asher's feet. "Oh my goodness! Are you okay?" She asks the Hufflepuff boy, worried that some of the acid might have gotten on him. When she notices that he's fine, she bites her lip and nods slowly glad that no one got hurt.

Odette grabs her notebook and her pen out of her bag and starts writing about what she's observed of the odd creature. 'The Bundimun kind of resembles a patch of greenish fungus with eyes,' she notes before giggling to herself. What an odd curious looking thing. Her long black hair falls in her face and the young girl scowls, quickly searching her bag for something to pin her hair back with.

“Hello, Odette! If you wanna know about any animal, like, ever, just ask me!” Alec joked, his oddly colored, purple eyes squinting in delight. He scooted back a little, jotting down another line of observation.

Gets irritated easily, calmed down by

Alec stopped, looking around for something edible. He ruffled through his bag, taking out some food he was going to eat for lunch.

He rolled a carrot at it. It seemed to flinch away, before spitting acid at it. He threw a small piece of ham, and the same thing happened. It attempted to spray Alec with it’s acid. Alec frowned. “Funny. Blobby liked ham..” he picked up a rock, rolling it softly toward the blob.

The green.. thing moved toward it slowly, before a gooey string of green goo grabbed the rock, and pulled it into the main blob. “You just like normal stuff, huh?” The blob settled into a trance-like state. Alec slowly crept toward it, looking at the eyes. He slowly stepped away, jotting down notes. “It’a safer now, but still don’t get too close.” Alec said, closing his book. “He’s healthy!” He declared, ignoring the odd looks from everyone else as he declared it like a proper doctor, reopening his journal and taking more notes.

Reducio
It's still going to spit at you no matter what you feed it, really, because I don't think it can be tamed, but-- Also, if it's okay with you two, let's try to go in a one at a time order. Like Odette, then Asher, then Alec. So all three of us can get our responses out there. It may be easier.

As nice as Alec was, at this point, it was getting to be a hassle to be ignored almost every other sentence. Respect. That was one of those things that others needed to have for him to be interested in them, and as it was right now, Alec wasn't being very respectful. It felt to him like nothing he said to the other Hufflepuff mattered, so until he was spoken to directly again, he kept silent.
The first person to address him was Odette, who seemed to have been paying attention to him when the Bundimun tried to attack him. "Yes, I'm fine. Spooked me more than it hurt me." He inches closer to the Ravenclaw, finding himself more drawn to her because of her quiet nature. He didn't dislike Alec, because he understood how excitable he is, but he's being quite arrogant right now, doing reckless things without instruction and uncaring whether or not the creature he ticked off was trying to hurt them or not. There's a time for jokes and games, and there's a time for seriousness. Especially when people are in danger.
Even the writing he's done in chicken scratch is done in neat cursive, and in an organized bulleted list so he can look back at it for future reference. Based on what he's been told, he can guess that they'll be destroying this patch at some point today. He didn't know when, but it was going to be awhile. The caretaker wanted them to study the animal before they killed it.
𝒮𝓅𝓇𝑒𝒶𝒹𝓈 𝑜𝓋𝑒𝓇 𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒
𝒟𝒶𝓃𝑔𝑒𝓇𝑜𝓊𝓈-- 𝓅𝓇𝑜𝒿𝑒𝒸𝓉𝓈 𝒶𝒸𝒾𝒹 𝓌𝒽𝑒𝓃 𝓇𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓋𝑒𝒹 𝒷𝓎 𝒽𝒶𝓃𝒹
𝐹𝑒𝑒𝒹𝓈 𝑜𝓃 𝓂𝒾𝓃𝑒𝓇𝒶𝓁𝓈, 𝓈𝓊𝒸𝒽 𝒶𝓈 𝒹𝒾𝓇𝓉 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓇𝑜𝒸𝓀
𝒮𝓂𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝒾𝓃𝒻𝑒𝓈𝓉𝒶𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃𝓈 𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝒷𝑒 𝒸𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓇𝑒𝒹 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝒶 𝓈𝒾𝓂𝓅𝓁𝑒 𝒸𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓈𝓅𝑒𝓁𝓁.
𝐻𝒶𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓅𝑜𝓉𝑒𝓃𝓉𝒾𝒶𝓁 𝑜𝒻 𝒹𝑒𝓋𝑜𝓊𝓇𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓁𝒶𝓇𝑔𝑒 𝒷𝓊𝒾𝓁𝒹𝒾𝓃𝑔𝓈 𝒾𝒻 𝓁𝑒𝒻𝓉 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝓅𝓇𝑒𝒶𝒹
𝒜𝓅𝓅𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓈 𝓉𝑜 𝒷𝑒 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶𝓀𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝑜 𝓂𝑜𝓈𝓈 𝑜𝓇 𝒻𝓊𝓃𝑔𝒾, 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝓁𝑜𝓉𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓁𝒾𝓉𝓉𝓁𝑒 𝓎𝑒𝓁𝓁𝑜𝓌 𝑒𝓎𝑒𝓈
"My name is Asher Lundell." He repeats, announcing it to both of them despite Odette having heard it once already. There's some soft rustling as he digs back into the bag, but his fingers close around something small. Unfurling the digits, he holds it out to the ravenette. It's a barette, made of dark metal. "I couldn't help noticing that you're having trouble with your hair, and, well, mine's pretty long too, so I usually carry a few of these with me. Maybe it could be of use to you?"

~Lundell~

Reducio
ok, so Odette next. And, I guess just roll with it, I guess... I’m not used to role playing in this universe, haha...

Odette watched Alec nervously as he tried to feed the acid spitting creature. She wasn't sure if that was a good idea considering if he spat acid at you, you could get seriously hurt or worse. Odette often loved animals but she was pretty sure she didn't love this one. It kind of freaked her out. The way it's eyes followed your movements as if deciding if it was worth the effort to spit at you or not. She was pretty sure it would spit regardless which made her even more cautious.

When Asher introduced himself again, she gave him a small smile murmuring, "it's nice to meet you," again. Even though she had already said it, she wasn't completely sure if he had heard her say it before.

Odette looked back in her bag and let out a huff. She still couldn't find a single thing to pin her hair up with. Then she heard Asher say, "I couldn't help noticing that you're having trouble with your hair, and, well, mine's pretty long too, so I usually carry a few of these with me. Maybe it could be of use to you?" Odette gives him a grateful smile before gently taking it from his hand, whispering a shy "thank you." She uses the barrette to pin her hair back before letting out a content sigh and a small smile graces her lips.

“Nice to meet you, Asher! I like your name!” Alec said, smiling. ‘Sorry I went off ranting earlier, i’m Just a bit hyper today. Sorry if I made a bad first impression.” Alec stood there, slightly embarrassed as he apologized for himself. “I guess it’s pretty obvious why i’m In Hufflepuff, huh?” He chuckled, nerves crashing through his body like ocean waves. He fiddled with his pencil, twirling it around in his hands. “I promise i’m Not always this... unsettling.” He said, chuckling. He rocked foreword and back on his feet, trying to think of something to break the awkward silence. “Um... sorry, i’ve Never really done... people, before. It’s always just been me, my dads, and my animals. None of whom care if I go off and rant, so.. i’m Not used to having to hide my emotions, especially my positive ones.” He explained, rubbing the back of his neck. “So, sorry.” The two students looked nice enough, but that didn’t stop Alec from worrying that he had made a bad impression and screwed up his first chance of making friends that actual human beings. “Sorry, if we, I mean, got off on the wrong foot, I guess..” he mumbled, his eyes subconsciously tearing up, unnoticeable by anyone but Alec himself, who silently cursed at himself in his mind.

Reducio
I'm going to cut this one short, unfortunately. I don't really care for where it's headed. Alec, if you don't mind some constructive criticism: Maybe, instead of having your character cry when confronted with a problem (since your OC is meant to be mature), try and look at it from a different perspective and see if there's any other way he can handle it, in a more suitable fashion. I love your enthusiasm, and your passion towards joining the community is amazing. Don't lose sight of that! Keep up your hard work, and maybe do some more character development. You're on a great path so far, and I look forward to roleplaying with you in the future. Both of you!

~Lundell~