Astronomy

Register
Sign in

IC Questions  Professor Karr's Office

A small neatly engraved sign hangs upon a large wooden door...
In the Tower
From 5 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday - Sunday
Professor Kateri Karr
Students would enter to see this was no ordinary classroom... There were no rows of desks neat and orderly facing a chalkboard. Nor rows of benches resting under wide desks for students to sit two or three across. Instead they would find themselves in a large indoor classroom with plenty of room for various activities. To the immediate left when entering the classroom would be a set of shelving with spots for students to keep their notes, journals, extra jumper or gear for colder weather, or other classroom materials necessary should they choose to, in part to not give any excuses for students to come to class unprepared nor too cold and uncomfortable. Along the other side of the circular room were carefully stacked square cushions that students could use to sit on when they found themselves doing an indoor lecture. A handful of chairs were also provided for those that might have difficulties sitting on the floor or unable to easily maneuver kneeling/standing. If they were to hold an indoor class due to weather or other instances, Professor Karr would gather the students together in a horseshoe shape to face the large mechanical Orrery in the center of the room that she stands by while lecturing. The lack of desks is mainly to keep students from laying on them at the late hours of class, removing any temptation to nap during class... as well as giving them all line of sight to one another during group participation and debates.

Typically classes would instead be held outside, a three story climb up an elegant curved staircase leading to the overhead observatory. A place that like with previous Professors, remained under magical lock when Professor Karr or one of her fellow staff were nowhere close by.

As with the previous Professor Equinox, Kateri has obtained various enchanted orreries for class use. Some of which sit on the very same shelving, wanting to keep them in a familiar spot to students who previously may have been taught by him and easily attained when in groups for classwork. The largest orrery in the middle changing magically to reflect the current movements and keeping up in real time through another more involved enchantment than the smaller ones set for specific seasons etc. The constellations that had also been in the class during previous Professors still moved in a silent evolution around the spiral staircase that lead first up to the area with Kateri's desk. A spot she rarely uses unless grading particularly lengthy homework and can otherwise be seen in the middle of the room on cushions and her work before her or in her lap.

Though mostly untouched, her desk would not reveal its lack of use as atop it are scattered pages and notes from her own research. One quill with dried ink on it resting on an old piece of parchment with haphazardly scratched reminders while another sits in its inkwell longing to be used. A more modern writing implement, a pen would be tucked instead behind the Professor's ear while she works. A large oak drawer could be seen partially pulled out with a scrolls wedged inside and peeking out from over the edge of their wooden housing. On the back of the velvet padded chair would rest not one, not two, but three different cardigans, pull-overs or button up jackets of some kind long forgotten by the Professor who was too chilly to leave it in her closet but too warm to take it back with her upon leaving for the morning. On the shelving behind the desk were neatly stacked, shocking I know, books of all kinds from all eras, whatever the Professor had gotten her hands on. If it involved Astronomy or an inkling of it, it would be there. Students were allowed to utilize the books in the room however not permitted to remove them from the classroom. Staggered on the shelves were small totems of animals, some linked to various Zodiac or cultures including her own. Most were carved from stone or bone, the most prominent a larger moonstone carved wolf standing on all fours with its ears alert... eyes some sort of other unrecognizable gems... but almost as if they were watching the students every move.

As always the open walls of the classroom were blocked by invisible walls given the illusion that it was open-air when in fact it was not, not completely anyway. Upon arriving at Hogwarts, Kateri had enjoyed the openness and felt it gave the students a sense of "fresh air" during class, even a chilly nip to their cheeks should they find their eyelids too heavy that particular night. It also served as a way for her to keep tabs on the outside weather in case she decided to bring the class to the observatory partway through a lecture.

The door to the main classroom would remain open and unlocked so long as Kateri was in the classroom or observatory. Eager to help any who entered with a question or led by curiosity, the professor can normally be seen in the middle of the room doing grading or her own research, in her down time working on bead work or reading, keeping an eye on the door should someone need her. Each class, Kateri would be clear to her students that should they need her for anything, even outside class problems or concerns, they were absolutely welcome to meet with her during her scheduled office hours, by Owl or privately if need be.

Please only enter one student at a time. If someone else is already interacting with Kateri then please wait patiently until said student gets sent away or leaves. You can visit for whatever reason and ask whatever you please, but keep in mind not to godmode Kateri with dialogue or her actions. Doing so will result in a warning owl to edit your post and if it is not edited within 24 hours I will delete it and move on to the next student.

"Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."-Elie Wiesel

╔══════════════☩══♛══☩══════════════╗
Just Tagging: @Kateri Karr
Mentioning: N/A
╚═══════════════☩══✦══☩══════════════╝
Rafael, admittedly, had never been big on stars.

Having lived primarily in the city his entire life, he supposed he’d never had the time to properly admire the heavens, discover the secrets that the sky so carefully withheld, observe what the universe had skillfully made. A real shame, he supposed, when he stopped to think about it. What he’d missed out on, perhaps he would never truly be able to comprehend in hindsight, nor would he be able to take back. However, that wasn’t to say that his knowledge of the heavens were void and bare. No, on the contrary, the skies were strange, fickle in the way that they moved, constellations dancing before the eyes of the young boy should he traverse the grounds late at night, far past curfew, admiring the celestial bodies that burned so brightly in the distance. In a way, the skies intrigued him, piqued his interest acutely, to the point where he was curious, just in the slightest, to what mysteries they entailed, what they meant, why they existed. What were the stars? What did they mean?

As of late, the young Captain had heard whispers, mutterings of new astronomy teacher traversing the manifold halls of Hogwarts. A strangely intriguing fact, he supposed, as he had yet to meet such a professor, hear their name, see their face, observe their mannerisms. Alaric Equinox, the old professor, had always disturbed the child slightly, his race leaving the boy on-edge and utterly awake during his classes – after being attacked by an alleged dhampir in the night, he supposed he’d always been reluctant to ask the man questions regarding the skies, despite the man’s friendly disposition. Such rumors of his leaving, while very unfortunate and saddening, left the boy alive with his own burning curiosity, eyes glancing out the window of his common room every night in the hopes that he might find it within himself to finally seek the answers in which he longed for. Who was this mysterious new professor? What were they like? The Captain supposed he’d always been a curious fellow, hungry for answers that lay just beyond his reach, at the edge of his fingertips. However, the answer he were seeking, perhaps they were closer than he had originally anticipated, within his grasp, ripe for the taking –

It was this same curiosity that had driven the young boy to the Office of Professor Kateri Karr. In the least, that was the name the sign read, much to his surprise. An unusual name, yes, and a rather nice one, the more he tossed the words around in his head. The sign elicited a small smile upon the boy’s face as he read, his eyes skimming over the office times in a careful manner. Just after 5, a perfect time to pop in and see who was around. A bout of butterflies danced in the young boy’s stomach, his eyes alight with excitement as he carefully pushed the door open. Treading carefully, he stepped into the room, looking around for the man or woman he was to call his professor. “Anyone here?” he asked tentatively, pulling his hood up over his eyes as to give himself a fearsome look. Could never be too careful, who knew whether the professor was a dhampir or not? “I’ve got questions…”
OOC • If any of this is inconsistent with how you envision your classroom or not properly aligned with how you suspect rumors of Kateri's position to travel, don't hesitate to let me know.

I may be young but I'm ready; There's nothing that you can tell me;
I make moves with ambition; Too tuned in I can't listen~

· • —– ٠ ▹◃ ٠ —– • ·
@Rafael D'Spacito
Setting up the Astronomy tower had taken a little longer than expected. Kateri had spent the better part of the past two days getting everything in order, bringing in the last of her boxes with various tomes and knickknacks she collected over the years. The space had been left so neat and tidy from the last Professor leaving a part of Kateri feeling awful knowing the state it would soon be in. Organized chaos is what her late mother used to call it. A mess, according to her father. Already her desk was askew but it made her feel a bit more at home. A small smile slid its way onto the new professor's tinted lips at the thought of her parent's faces. What would they think of her standing in this castle? Employed by Hogwarts and about to teach the younger generations of wizarding kind. Kneeling down in front of a large oak chest beside her desk, Kat pulled out an object wrapped carefully in some sort of woven wrap of purple and white linen with bead-work all along the hem.

"There you are." The young woman mused quietly as she stood and brought the bundle over to the shelves behind her desk. All of the books had been placed carefully in order and a few other totems were scattered among them, a large bone carved horse holding up three smaller books on stargazing from the early 1920s. Gently pulling back the fabric to reveal a wolf carved from moonstone, Kateri held it in her hands and placed her forehead to the cool stonework. "Ista.Mother." Closing her eyes she sent out a small prayer in her mother's memory asking for her guidance. Slowly, Kat turned to the closest shelf at eye level and placed the totem on all fours next to a small sweetgrass basket. As confident as she was about this position the new path that had been laid out before her felt so vast. So lonely without her people or family around. Even with traveling the past so many years and attending a Muggle college her in Scotland she had managed to find time to go home. Her new life at Hogwarts had torn an even bigger rift between her and her father. Taking a deep breath, Kateri let her fingers fall from the wolf figure before crossing her arms over her chest and looking around the classroom. Everything seemed in order. This would be her new home for sure. It would have to be.

A creak from the doorway snapped Kateri's brown eyes off of the task in front of her and immediately in the direction of the noise. Her fingertips were instantly touching the wand that rested in its holster at her waist. Old habits die hard. No. You are not somewhere you need to be like this, she reminded herself. Turning to face the first student to make use of her office hours, his voice sounded almost unsure to her ears. Perhaps the last Professor had more students coming and going? Kateri hadn't interacted with many and assumed that most were wary of her. Understandable, yet something she hoped would be remedied once they got in a steady rhythm of classes with her lead.

A boy entered the room with his hood covering most of his face making it hard for her to discern any facial features. Questions? Wonderful! Her first one on one with a student. Straightening her posture and tilting her head forward to try and peer under the boy's hood, Kat drew in a breath as a genuine smile spread across her face. "Greetings." Lowering her arms from their crossed position she raised her right hand in a welcoming gesture. "Oh, of course! I hope I have the right answers." Standing next to the cushioned seat behind the desk, Kat motioned to the chair across from her that had been left open for any students who sought her out during office hours. "Would you like to sit awhile?" Normally she would extend a hand and offer her own name however she was unsure what professors here typically would deem appropriate. Things seemed so different here and not just due to her having moved from the United States... even her life there was always split into two worlds not counting her magical ties. Instead she opted to nod her head, keeping her eyes set on the boy. "I'm sure you already have seen and heard my name but I would like to officially extend that knowledge to you myself. My name is Kateri Karr, and you are?"

OOC: Mohawk pronunciation can be very different from standard English spelling. Just as a note here in case you wanted to use it in a post her name would be pronounced Gah-Deh-Lee Ghar. Nothing was out of the ordinary with her office or the space, I am glad you are posting here!

Interacting With: @Kateri Karr
"Greetings."

Whatever Rafael had been expecting, it was no match for what had so gracefully met his eyes upon walking into the Astronomy Tower. The woman was absolutely stunning, there was no other way to put it – waist-long black hair, deep brown eyes, tan skin, a smile that just made him want to melt like a popsicle. If it weren’t for the hood covering his face, the Professor would most certainly be able to see the star-struck look that had utterly stricken the face of the young boy, his shoulders hiking high in shock as he took a step back, positive that he had seen a veela. Perhaps he should have been relieved, to see light streaming through the invisible walls of the room, notice the lack of fangs or utterly pale skin upon the visage of his new Professor, find that he was not, in fact, going to have his blood unwillingly sucked by a hated dhampir. However, strangely enough, the boy could do no such thing, his once worrisome gaze sharpening into a slightly tentative glare as he slowly sucked in a breath, stilling his frantic nerves. Perhaps he would never understand why older women unnerved him so, especially those with pretty faces such as the Professor that stood before him now. He supposed the woman bore resemblance to his mother, the two-faced she devil herself. Such thoughts tugged at the folds of his mind, prompting a new bout of inquiries. How many faces did Professor Karr have? Did he really want to know?

He would show her no further discomfort, however, choosing to make due with the situation at hand. His façade was perfectly executed, a genuine, tentative smile spreading upon his face as he lowered his hood, bangs falling to his face in an acutely aggravating sort of way. He made quick work to tidy them up, clenching his teeth together in a wry sort of grimace, before properly facing the woman, hands tucked neatly in his pockets and lip bit between his teeth as he observed her face for tells, answers to his burning questions. How genuine was the smile upon her face? He would have no further time to consider this, as she had soon extended an invitation to him– did he want to sit down, make himself comfortable? He supposed there wasn’t a better way to extract the answers he so humbly sought. His answer would come in the form of a curt nod, the boy making quick work to slide himself into the chair, mouth parted and eyes watching his acquaintance tentatively, as if ready for anything the woman would throw at him.

"I'm sure you already have seen and heard my name but I would like to officially extend that knowledge to you myself. My name is Kateri Karr, and you are?"

It was then, that he would properly note her accent – it was strange, mysterious in the way the boy had not recognized its origins. In the least, she didn’t sound like a native of England, which prompted another question. Where was she from? He would dismiss the thought for a moment, opting to play with the woman’s name, sounding out the syllables on his tongue. It was more difficult than it looked, that was for sure, his own accent halting a correct pronunciation. Looking down, he would open his mouth, then close it, then open it again, this time speaking the name of the woman he presided with. “It’s nice to meet you, Kateri,” he would state, trying his best to pronounce the name the way the woman had. [GAA-teh-DEE] “That is, Professor Karr [Pdo-FEY-sr GAHD]. I’m Rafael.” He would nod, fiddling idly with the pockets of his hoodie, as if afraid to meet her gaze. “Most people call me Rafa, though, or ‘Bird. You can call me whatever you want.”

He rubbed his neck, suddenly feeling very awkward in the situation in which he presided. His interactions regarding teachers were generally negative, given his rebellious nature and tendency towards his fists, specifically in the classroom setting. It was certainly no secret, in the least, that he was a troublesome student, the sort that the boy could only imagine a teacher would dread instructing in class. Perhaps it was because he didn’t know how to talk to those older than him, that he felt spiders creeping up his spine, mind void of coherent words. What was one supposed to do? Say? He decided to shove such thoughts from his mind, opting to at least create some semblance of comfort in his situation. “Sooo,” he muttered aloud, cocking his head inquisitively as an easy smile found its way on his features, “Astronomy. Why? What is it about the stars you find so interesting?” Then, rubbing the back of his neck, “That’s… not exactly Astronomy-related, I suppose. Hope it’s okay to ask.”
OOC • Noted, will keep in mind! Furthermore, most of the questions Rafael has at the moment are mainly personal. Feel free to ICly brush him off, or owl me if this isn't okay. Whatever's most comfortable with your character, and compliant with your intentions regarding Astronomy questions.

· • —– ٠ ▹◃ ٠ —– • ·
@Rafael D'Spacito
This boy, the woman could not quite get a good read as of right now. He seemed to be rather reserved but had wanted to still take a chance at looking around the Professor's office. Perhaps there was something more going on. Kateri had worked closely with the children in her tribe and various locals back in Aberdeen to know that most of the time there was something beyond what was on the surface of their attitude. Either way, she was very new here and did not want to overstep. For now he looked content with the smile on his face and had given a warmth in return with his greeting. Thinking for a moment about the offer he had given about names, Kateri took a seat.

"Rafa. Though, in class I will have to be more formal." She had learned to make clear boundaries with younger people around her over the years. Not due to them taking advantage but mostly to keep a level of respect for both parties. She found too much freedom even on her end had led to hurt feelings and often a great deal of miscommunication. Not minding the silence growing between the two of them, having had very little between traveling and unpacking, Kateri watched the boy closely, her deep brown stare studying his features. Letting Rafa formulate his question, Kat leaned over the side of her chair and into a bag that lay on the inside of her desk next to her feet. Sitting back up in her seat, the professor held two bottles of soda, the necks resting between her fingers as she set one across from the student. In truth, she was exhausted from unpacking and it appeared the boy was most likely needing a break just as much as she did right now. Whether he accepted the small peace offering or not, Kat would twist off the cap to her own letting out a small hiss in the process as she thought about his question.

"Well," She paused and placed the bottle to her lips, raising it slightly and took a drink to buy some time. Never had she expected herself to be in this position, not at Hogwarts and not all the way across the sea from her people. "I find their connection to beings quite powerful..." Another sip as she decided how best to expand and describe the feelings and emotions she had tied to the skies above. "In many ways the stars are so similar to us. Some shining brighter, some dim in comparison but shining none-the-less while others appear to have burned out only to be seen brighter the next moment from a different perspective." Leaning back in her seat, pressing against the plush padding Kateri took in a long breath. There was more to it for her but as memories came flooding back she could already feel the walls closing around each one, keeping them from sight. "Plus, there is always more to them than what we see just from here and even taking a closer look with any tool, Muggle or Wizarding." Nagging thoughts tapped on the inside of her head as the visions of her family came directly into the forefront of her mind. Rolling her left shoulder, stretching out an uncomfortable tension settling in her muscles, she turned her attention back to the boy. "What about yourself? What do you find appealing... or not so about Astronomy?" She grinned before adding, "Or anything else for that matter." A part of the professor hoped that if needed, the boy would allow himself to let go of whatever might be weighing heavily on his mind, whether it was aloud or simply to himself.

OOC: I think it'll actually be a welcomed change for Kat to need to open up so I welcome whatever personal questions! I mentioned being the drink being soda but feel free to write it as whatever Rafa would find appealing and I shall edit my post to correspond.

"Rafa. Though, in class I will have to be more formal."

Ah, as to be expected with a teacher. He supposed he should have known, as all the adults he’d met in the school tended to keep serious, stern, and isolated from the student body. Though, he’d had his suspicions – after all, his reputation in the classroom setting was an infamous one all on its own, his stark will to backtalk his authorities and cause them grief winning over his common sense in just about every class. He was an antagonist in the classroom, there was no doubt about it… but he supposed this classroom was different. A teacher was actually being chill for once, having gone as far as to accept his offer to talk, even pass him a soda. At the very indication that it was him, he couldn’t help but stare at the bottle, as if it were laced with poison, before looking up at the teacher, face blank of emotion, save for his eyes, holding suspicion and caution. Teachers always had a double agenda, did they not? Was he being played?

Nonetheless, he would take her peace offering, albeit reservedly, twisting the cap open and holding it over the chair side, just in case it fizzed. An unconscious move, formed in his glory days, due to the boys that liked to shake up his drinks before they passed them around. “That’s chill,” he’d remark, regarding her original statement, a very small smile playing on his lips. One he was trying his hardest to stifle. The last thing he needed to show was weakness towards another one of his classroom adversaries, give them leverage to use against him. If he even decided to wage war in the lovely astronomy room. He would give her peace offering no more thought, however, as she began to speak once more, now sharing an answer to the question he sought. A connection with humans… an angle he’d never looked into, in depth. Being a strong believer in the universe, he had no doubt there was some kind of creature up there, pulling the strings that damned his existence to failure and bad dice rolls. The idea that she presented, however, was definitely intriguing, her analogy tugging at the folds of his mind. What did she mean by that? “Huh,” he replied. “I haven’t thought of it that way.”

But, before he would have a moment more to consider what her words meant exactly, she had thrown his question right back at him, a grin playing on her lips, as if she were one of his good friends. A look that comforted him in the slightest – he looked down, returning it, before taking a sip of his soda, other hand messing with his pocket fold. How to go about answering her inquiry? “Oh, I just. I don’t… understand the stars,” he settled on after a moment of thought, eyes still trained on his shoes as his brow furrowed. “I guess that’s because I’m from the city, you just don’t see them that often out there. But, I guess…” he chewed his lip, squinting as he looked up, free hand rubbing his neck in subconscious nervousness, “what’s so interesting, is the mystery? Not knowing where they’re from, or what they are? If that makes sense?” He was a curious child by nature, everyone knew that. “There’s a scientific answer for everything, but those doesn’t make the question marks disappear. There are just… too many of those to see to, no one can have all the answers.”

Wow, answering questions for teachers. Something he didn’t think he’d ever willingly be doing. Though, he supposed there was a first time for everything. Now, deflecting the question once more, he nodded towards his acquaintance, crossing his arms tightly in front of him, soda still clutched in his dominant hand. “If I may go as far as to state… you don’t seem to be from around here. Your accent’s funny.” His pointer finger waved in front of his mouth idly, a gesture furthering his point. “Not in a bad way, of course, it’s just an observation. Where are you from, then?” he shrugged, offering her a wry smile. He wasn’t prodding, of course, she had every right to decline. “What brings you to England? Other than… the obvious astronomy position…”
OOC • Noted, will keep in mind!

· • —– ٠ ▹◃ ٠ —– • ·
@Rafael D'Spacito
Kateri circled the base of the soda bottle in the air while the boy spoke, considering his words closely. It was true, having moved to a more populated area and other cities in her travels she had been uneasy with the lack of stars in the night sky that were visible. Having grown up under a blanket of stars most of her life had been one of many comforts. Giving a nod to the mention of stars being a mystery even with science, Kateri let out a slight laugh.

"Very true." There were so many things that science couldn't explain. In any culture, let alone Muggle or Magical alike. The young woman couldn't help but agree with the boy. There was a good many things about stars, space and the like that people could not define nor explain. Another reason that Kateri felt herself so drawn to it, the mystery, the curiosities. Taking another sip she watched as the boy crossed his arms, he looked defensive almost as if he might have divulged a little too much at once. Bringing up his next question, her accent as well, Kat smiled. "I am from a place in New York, though far from the city. " He had every right to be curious, it was only human nature, especially when someone looking so out of place came to Hogwarts. Kat shifted in her seat again and stretched her back, arching it against the chair. Those boxes had been heavier than expected... and with a climb up the stairs, she should have listened and just levitated them alongside her, but something about sticking to a Muggle form of transportation and small tasks always kept her level headed. She wasn't one to want to rely too much on magic and its many uses. "Well," she began "Long story short I suppose... I attended a Muggle college in Aberdeen and decided to stay for a couple of years before I was approached for the job here at Hogwarts. It came at an unlikely time in my life... so I felt my path was shifting. Plus, I have always been curious about Hogwarts, having attended Ilvermorny." Thoughts of the American school made her smile, a few fond memories flooding back. "How have you found your time here at Hogwarts?" She had heard stories of events and things happening, though all hushed, and wondered how some of the students often held up.

"I am from a place in New York, though far from the city. "

Rafael leaned back, his eyes dancing with curiosity and lips pursed as he silently and attentively listened to Kateri speak. The very idea that the Astronomy Professor could be American was enough to make the cogs of his mind begin to turn like clockwork, and in the midst of his thinking, he wouldn’t notice the way his grip on his soda slackened, his shoulders loosening in the slightest as he forgot of his suspicions. “A Muggle College!” the boy couldn’t help but mutter in wonder, his gaze shifting back to the eyes of his superior acquaintance. Quite the proclamation, was it not? How many people did he know, that went to a Muggle College? [His mother surely didn’t count.] For a sliver of a moment, the Captain’s guard fell, his burning curiosity taking the reins of his consciousness and steering him into the first questions his mind could conjure into existence. “Wow, I can imagine that must have been rather interesting! What’s a Muggle College like? What do they teach there?” Nothing important surely? Yiddish, maybe plumbing? Were his assumptions false? There was only one way to find out. The child was leaning forward, forearms on the armrests of his seat as he cocked his head to the side curiously. Sure, he’d grown up primarily in the Muggle World, but a lot of its facets were still obscure to his small pureblood mind. What was education if not at a wizarding school? His brows furrowed in deep thought, he would mutter his next inquiry – “What was your major, then?”

Though, before he could even begin to process any answer she may or may not have offered, her question finally registered in his brain – at the very idea of having to explain such, such a confusion question, he visibly paled, his shoulders tightening once more as his eyes flew to his grass-stained sneakers. “I – “ he began for a moment, scrambling for words. He what? Didn’t teachers like to hear great things about their school? What was awesome about the curriculum? How much kids just loved school? And, sure, in any normal school, such issues may have been the extent of his problems. However, this was Hogwarts, the same school that housed mysterious murder mysteries and conspiracies all in the same walls. He took a sip of his soda, chuckling to himself, trying to find an allevation to the panic that was slowly attacking his senses. It may not have been so visible to those watching – the average onlooker would surely be able to notice the change in his posture, the tightness in his body language as he slunk down in his chair, but there would be no facial expression to give him away this time – his features remained in a smile, the corners of his mouth wavering, his gaze glued to his shoes. Choosing his words carefully, he treaded on – “It’s fine, I guess,” he decided, blowing a bang out of his face with a shrug. “I mean – I'm sure it's no Ilvermorny,” he chuckled, a small compliment to the teacher’s school, “but it’s home.” Sweet, deadly home. At least the students were cool. And the curriculum, he would have to admit, wasn’t bad in the least.

The question had been answered as satisfactorily as the child could manage in the short time he’d been offered. Deciding to reward his venture with his own curiosity, he pursed his lips, brow furrowing as he nodded towards the Professor. “What’s it like at Ilvermorny?” he asked tentatively. “In comparison to Hogwarts, I mean. I can imagine one would have a certain amount of pride regarding their school, surely. Are there certain things you like more about this place? Less? Hey,” he shrugged, “it’s kind of a lame question, I know.” He would allow a small grin to appear on his face – to be completely honest, he would be lying if he said he wasn’t enjoying her company. Even if he didn’t stay for much longer, at least he would feel confident in knowing that he’d attempted to build some semblance of a bridge between him and an older audience. Even if such relationships or reassurances were superficial, and held little value in such a dangerous school…
OOC • Want to say that my student's views don't reflect back on me. As such, if you or anyone else finds any offense in the following post, don't hesitate to let me know, so I can remove it immediately!

· • —– ٠ ▹◃ ٠ —– • ·
@Rafael D'Spacito
A laugh escaped the woman's lips despite her trying to cut it short at the reaction of her mention to college. It wasn't something she had expected from a magical child, let alone someone attending Hogwarts. She didn't think that many magical students ended up giving a second thought to a non-magical education. Especially once they've had a taste for this life. It was hard to resist or go back to anything other than this... she knew the temptations as well as the hardship both worlds presented. There was a curious sparkle in the way the boy looked at her. Something she wasn't used to seeing, let alone in a student. Too bad she had squelched it with her question and all at once the lion cub looked to withdraw once again.

It's home. With some students she would have given a simple smile and continued past the small phrase in reference to the school. Yet, sitting before this boy those two words struck deeper with the woman. Half of her knew exactly what he meant. She had repeated those words herself in similar circumstances...

"Ilvermorny? Well... it certainly isn't Hogwarts." She drew in another sip from her drink and brushed at her lower lip with one finger in thought. "The curriculum seems to be mostly the same... There was always some sort of adventure to be had but nothing like here that's for sure. Not the stories I've heard anyway over the years." Another chuckle at the thought of the less dangerous things she had heard of life at Hogwarts. "I actually have to admit I feel somewhat out of place here.. Almost like an impostor or something not having the same education a lot of your peers have had as Pureblood families. Even my No-Maj or well, Muggle side of life was very different." Memories came rushing back as she tried to give a decent response to the Gryffindor. "I think the Sorting for Ilvermorny is probably one of my favorite experiences. Though if I have to be honest I think a lot of my more fonder memories were in that school. I'm not sure I would have been the same person had I attended Hogwarts instead. Ilvermorny helped shape me, the good and the bad." If only the bad had stopped at Graduation and not followed her on to the next stage of life. Kateri adjusted her position in the chair and sat a little straighter.

"As for college," She set the empty soda on her desk and crossed her arms loosely over her chest. "That conversation might have to wait for another evening as it is getting close to class time." Unfortunately, Kateri thought. She was actually having a good time chatting with Rafael. Hopefully however this would make him more comfortable coming back should he ever need to find her for anything both class related and otherwise. "You should probably head off anyway to finish up any of your studies before tomorrow's classes." Stretching her arms out the length of her lap, hands pushing back from against the desk before standing up, Kateri gave a nod in the boy's direction. "I truly appreciate the fine conversation," Pulling one of her long sleeve shirts from the back of her chair and shrugging it on, she locked eyes with the lion. "You're a very intelligent young man Mister D'Spacito. Don't even let anyone make you question that, not even yourself."

OOC: Should you want to continue in another thread or in the future just send me an Owl!
I just want to give someone else the opportunity to hop in but it was a pleasure!

Date: 9th September, 2020
Interacting with @Kateri Karr
See owl discussion on post order, sorry for any confusion I caused ^^
Bag (but blue, with poppers rather than buckles)
Notebook
Astronomy was hands-down Lucia's favourite subject, but the teacher she didn't have all that much of a relationship with.
Of course, usually a teacher who taught a subject Lucia was interested in would quickly have known so, but during her first year the Hufflepuff had mostly been preoccupied with forming friendships with other students and so hadn't had much time for talking to the staff body.
Which was why she was heading up the stairs to the astronomy tower right now - to talk to the Professor of Astronomy.
Mostly, at least.
In her shoulder bag, she also carried a notebook she had bought at the start of the summer and started filling in as a hobby, with stars and planets and moons. Lucia hoped to be able to show it to the Professor and ask for some advice.
Before knocking on the door, Lucia checked her watch: it was a quarter past five - good. Lessons wouldn't start for a few hours and Proffessor Karr would have been in her office for fifteen minutes already, if the sign on the door told the truth.
The second-year knocked on the door, contemplating calling out for the Proffessor, but decided against it. If she wasn't in, it would be a lot less embarrassing to be caught knocking on a door leading to an empty room than calling in.

==
#00308F
ency
==
it will cost you nothing to dream, and everything not to
Part-Veela • Alluring • Sta 5 • Eva 8 • Stre 4 • Wis 8 • Arc 4 • Acc 6

· • —– ٠ ▹◃ ٠ —– • ·
@Lucia Fox
Summer had come and gone much too quickly. Now, the Astronomy professor sat once more in her office preparing for another school year. Looking over her past lecture notes and tidying up her desk, a shock to anyone who had witnessed the state it had been in this past term. Kateri had spent her morning cleaning out the last couple of student cubbies, finding a few items that had been left behind; a broken quill, class text, and a Gryffindor scarf. Another class would be coming in tonight and she had to make sure there was enough room for everyone to last the year. After a quick nap and lunch the rest of her day was full of cleaning the telescopes and orreries. It had strangely enough put her in a cleaning frenzy, her desk being the next thing to tackle.

Tossing out a couple of candy wrappers, Kateri pulled three of the pullovers from the back of her chair and folded each one into a neat pile atop her desk. She had a nasty habit of wearing a sweater or button-up to the tower only to take it off and toss it haphazardly onto the oak chair. Patting a hand on top of the stack of shirts she heard a knock at the door to the classroom.

"Come in!" The woman called towards the door as she took a seat.

Lucia, releaved to discover that Proffessor Karr was, in fact, in attendance, pushed open the wooden door and stepped into the office.
"Um, hi," she began with a slight smile, inwardly cursing Merlin for her sudden awkwardness.
Wait... Lucia's eyes fell from the woman to the desk at which she sat. It was... tidy? Well, that was... unusual, or so Lucia thought at least.
Get a hold of yourself!
Lucia gave herself a little shake and raised her eyes again to look at the Professor whom she was actually talking to.
"I'm Lucia, Lucia Fox," the girl said, holding out her hand. "I don't know if you'll recognise my name; I haven't really talked to you before but I was in your First Year class last year."
Lucia's tone seemed to transform the statement to a question, but in reality she was pretty sure Prof. Karr wouldn't recognise her name at all - after all, no matter what marks someone got, if they didn't talk to you it was unlikely you would remember them. But then again, Lucia wasn't a teacher and it wasn't really one of her career options, so how would she know?
She fiddled with the strap of her bag, wishing she could sit down but thinking it might be rude.
Last edited by Lucia Fox on 6th October 2020, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

==
#00308F
ency
==

· • —– ٠ ▹◃ ٠ —– • ·
@Lucia Fox
A pale face greeted the Astronomy professor as one of her students slipped through the door into the classroom. Kateri returned the girl's smile with her own and stood as the young girl made her way over. She couldn't tell from the look on her face whether it was a serious reason for her visit to the tower or not, perhaps simply something to do with their studies? It had barely been the start of term, surely there couldn't be anything too dire just yet.. could there? Last year seemed to have brought a number of students her way concerned for their safety or dealing with their own emotional experiences. Not that Kateri minded at all but hopefully this was more of a social call than anything else.

"Miss Fox, of course!" Her smile broadened as the girl held her hand out for Kateri. It wasn't something that she expected while in the magical world and was a pleasant surprise. Though she remembered many of her students she often was not privy to their backgrounds, clearly from the gesture Lucia had some sort of non-magical connection to the world. "Please, take a seat." Kateri waved an open hand at the seat across from her before returning to her own. "I trust you had a good Summer?" She sat back in her chair and crossed her legs underneath her desk. It seemed rather early for students to be trickling in just yet with the new year but another welcomed surprise indeed. She would wait for a response or nod to her question before diving into the next. "So, what can I do for you?"

Date: 9th September, 2020
Sorry for such a late reply!
Bag (but blue, with poppers rather than buckles)
Notebook
Lucia took a seat with a little smile. "Thank you."
Summer...
Well, for Lucia nothing much had really happened - unless you counted her arguement with her mother over the merits of Hufflepuff and her birthday party, which had been (respectively) the worst and best points of the months. "Yes, thanks, did you?" she asked politely, and added with a lost smile, "I spent most of it just hanging out with my sisters, really." The words I hope yours was more exciting lingered on the Hufflepuff's tongue, but she didn't say them.

"Well..."
How to say what she wanted to? If she was going to be honest with herself, Lucia was not all that good at small talk and getting into conversations. What was she supposed to say?
"Um, Astronomy's one of my favourite subjects," the blue-eyed girl began, obviously telling the truth. "And I did some extra work over the summer... for fun, you know... and I was wondering if you wanted to see it?"

Although her little notebook was hardly a masterpiece, Lucia really had spent a lot of time on it and was proud of the result. She loved the notebook, as well - she had a weakness for pretty notebooks, although she found that she didn't often use them.

==
#00308F
ency
==