Rehearsal Room

Register
Sign in
  Back   Reply

Theater Arts Club Auditions  Members Only! 

Ellara approached the performance space next, a nervous smile on her face. Though the young witch was not unaccustomed to crowds, there was always something a little bit nerve-racking about being judged based on your talent of doing what you love. Taking a deep breath, she forced herself to relax, hold her head up high, and pull her shoulders back, just as her mum used to tell her when she was younger.

Once standing in the middle of the stage, Ellara smiled over at Sonya and announced, "My name is Ellara Butler. I'm a first year Hufflepuff, and I'll be reading a monologue from Romeo and Juliet, and singing "Castle on a Cloud" from the musical Les Miserables by Claude-Michel Schönberg.

She opted to sing first and stood in front of a microphone, singing with acapella, "There is a castle on a cloud... I like to go there in my sleep..." It was evident she had some form of training in the singing section, as her soprano voice echoed about the room in an almost ethereal manner. Her eyes shining with hope, she played the part off into the top left corner of the room, then finally finished a few verses and glanced back over at Sonya.

"Sorry if I mess this part up a little bit! Here goes." Ellara wiped the smile off of her face, replacing it with a serious, almost distressed expression, and looked at an invisible vial in her hand, visibly shaking. "What if it be a poison, which the friar subtly hath minister'd to have me dead. Lest in this marriage he should be dishonor'd, because he married me before to Romeo? I fear it is: and yet, methinks, it should not, for he hath still been tried a holy man..."

The scene moved forward as Ellara verbally pronounced Juliet's various worries on the arrangement, eventually stumbling back suddenly, with eyes wide as saucers, as she spotted Tybalt's ghost on stage left. "" O, look! methinks I see my cousin's ghost seeking out Romeo, that did spit his body upon a rapier's point: stay, Tybalt, stay!" She held up an arm, warding the invisible figure away.

Finally, with a look of solemnity, panic, and stress all at once, she held up the invisible vial and whispered, "Romeo, I come! This do I drink to thee." She held up the vial for a moment towards that back of the room in a toast to Romeo, then downed it like a shot, collapsing to the floor in silence.

After a moment, where she lay still, Ellara sprang back up to her feet and gave a slight curtsy, murmuring something along the lines of thanks before scurrying off stage.

“Just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it’s not there. Sometimes you just have to have heart in what you believe in.” ~Ellara Butler

Ellara:
Reducio
Sonya smiled and watched a girl she didn't know, but recognized from the Hufflepuff common room. The girl slated, her name was Ellara. She began her audition with a song and Sonya thought it was real good. Les Miserables was often overused, but Ellara pulled it off. Sonya clapped when the girl stopped and then listened to her monologue. After she fell Sonya clapped again. "Great job! See you at the first meeting!"

"Life is never what you plan"

Vales stepped into the performance place next, pasting a gentle smile on her face. She had decided to get involved with clubs in her first year, and what club was better than a theater arts club? Perfect for helping her anxiety! Vales had taken plenty of singing and dancing lessons, and although the performance space was just a tad too small for her to do a dance routine in, it was a perfect size to sing in.

"Hello, my name is Vales Minter and I'm a first year Ravenclaw" she started,swallowing her anxiety as she continued," I'm going to be singing The Greatest Show from The Greatest Showman

She prepared to sing, taking a final deep breath before starting, "Ladies and gents, this is the moment you've waited for.....You've been searchin' in the dark, your sweat soakin' through the floor.....And buried in your bones there's an ache that you can't ignore....Takin' your breath, stealin' your mind....And all that was real is left behind..........."

Her voice first took upon a sultry, deeper tone for the beginning notes, then slowly went higher until she was hitting the highest notes in the song. Vales truly didn't even notice herself being judged, she was completely lost in the music, feeling the beat and the music throughout her entire body as she sang.

The song came to it's close, Vales snapped back to reality, going back to her nervous demeanor as she walked quickly off the stage.

“You don't spend your life hanging around books without learning a thing or two.”

Vales:
Reducio
Sonya looked on as another girl walked onstage. She seemed pretty nervous but went on; introducing herself as Vales Minter. She began to sing and Sonya nodded to the beat. She loved The Greatest Showman and this girl sang very well. The girl then walked off stage quite nervously. Sonya was a bit disappointed at the lack of a monologue, but didn't let it show. She song Vales sang was good and it showed her range of emotion. "You did great!" she complimented. "See you at our first meeting!"

"Life is never what you plan"

The shy first year stepped up, knowing she was next. She’s been practicing since the first day she got there. She was really nervous, but confident that she would get in.

She smiled her best smile, “Hello, I’m Lillian Evermore, from the Gryffindor house. It’s a pleasure to meet you,” she smiled greatly. ‘and today I’m going to be singing lay me down,” her confidence was showing on her face. She walked over to the piano and started to play.

”Yes I do, I believe, that one day I will be, where I was, right there, right next to you,” Her fingers running along the piano keys with grace, “And it’s hard, that days just seem so dark. The moon, and the stars, are nothing without you. Your touch, your skin, where do I begin? No words can explain, the way I’m missing you,” she closed her eyes, listening to the piano notes, “Deny this emptiness, this hole that I’m inside. Theses tears, they tell their own story,” she sang her heart out. Putting everything into her singing.

Once she got to the ending she took a deep breath and sang out, ”Can I lay by your side. And I don’t want to be here if I can’t be with you tonight,” Once she was done she got up and bowed.

Lillian Evermore

Lonelyness is like a locked door, you need a key to open the door. And the key is friendship.

Riley took a deep breath as he removed his guitar from its case, adjusting the strap as he knew he was next. He had known this song for a while, it was one of his favorites to play on the guitar. But still, he was nervous about his audition. This was something he wanted to get into, and when he heard his name called, he sighed, getting up in front of the people he would be auditioning for.

"Hello! My name is Riley Williams! I am a first year Gryffindor, and I will be singing and playing One Song Glory from Rent."

He took another deep breath before beginning to play. Soon, he found himself lost in the music, pouring his heart and soul out into the audition. When he finished, he stood there looking at the people in front of him for a couple of seconds before slinging the guitar over his back.

"My monologue is from Spring Awakening, said by the character Melchior."

He started on the monologue, disappearing into the character he was trying to portray. A tear slides down his cheek at the end, the part where Melchior finds Wendla's grave. And then it is over, and Riley takes a deep breath before bowing and thanking them for their time, exiting the stage with a small smile on his face.

Without the dark, we'd never see the stars

Amanda stepped up to where she would be performing next. She wasn’t used to singing in front of others, but she was confident in her monologue. She gave a bright smile as she looked at the girl who was going to be judging her. “Hi, I’m Amanda Sparrow. I’m going to be singing and doing a monologue, if that’s alright.”

“I’m going to be singing ‘Lady’ by Styx first.” Amanda cleared her throat and took a deep breath. “Lady, when you’re with me I’m smiling...” She began to sing, her voice strong despite her petite figure. When she finished, Amanda anxiously grinned at the girl, trying to ignore her pounding heart.

“For my monologue, I’m going to say an excerpt from The Dark Knight that’s spoken by the Joker.” Amanda paused, the smiling dropping from her face as she got into character. Her eyes took on an almost maniacal, but subtle glow.

“Do I really look like a guy with a plan, Harvey? I don’t have a plan… The mob has plans. The cops have plans. You know what I am, Harvey? I am a dog chasing cars… I wouldn’t know what to do with one if I caught it. I just do things. I am just the wrench in the gears. I hate plans. Yours, theirs, everyone’s. Maroni has plans. Gordon has plans. Schemers trying to control their worlds. I am not a schemer. I show the schemer how pathetic their attempts to control things really are. So when I say that you and your girlfriend was nothing personal, you know I am telling the truth. I just did what I do best. I took your plan and turned it on itself. Look what I have done to this city with a few drums of gas and a couple of bullets. Nobody panics when the expected people gets killed. Nobody panics when things go according to plan, even if the plan is horrifying. If I tell the press that tomorrow a gangbanger will get shot or a truckload of soldiers will be blown up, nobody panics. – because it’s all part of the plan. But when I say that one little old mayor will die, everybody lose their minds. Introduce a little anarchy, you upset the established order and everything becomes chaos. I am agent of chaos. And you know the thing about chaos, Harvey? It is fair.” Amanda accented her every phrase with hand motions and facial expressions, bringing the scene to life.

When the monologue was done, her kind smile graced her face once again. “Sorry if that was a little intense,” Amanda apologized meekly. “As you’ve probably guessed by now, I make a pretty okay villain.” She giggled nervously, fidgeting with her hands in front of her.

“Oh, I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.”
~ Amanda Sparrow ~

Henry'd walk onto the area, almost tripping over his feet in his awkwardness, his little ukulele strapped onto his back. He'd clear his throat as he stood in front of the group, before giving them a small smile.

"Hi, I'm Henry. I'm gonna be singing She Used to Be Mine from the musical Waitress, originally by Sara Bareilles...I, uh, didn't prepare a monologue, so, ah, sorry about that." He'd mumble, wincing slightly as he strummed his uke for a second to tune it last minute.

Henry'd clear his throat before starting, his eyes darting from his uke, the others and the back wall.

"It's not simple to say,
That some days I don't recognise me,
that these shoes and this apron,
that place and its patrons,
Have taken more than I gave them
It's not easy to know
I'm not anything like I used be, although it's true
I was never attention's sweet center
I still remember that girl.."

Henry's song You can basically have a quick look at that and see his song and sort of what he sounds like, but he's a little bit of a lower pitch and isn't as fancy. His main bit is around the 2 minute mark.

Taking a deep breath once he'd finished, he'd slowly stop strumming before nodding his head in a little bow and quickly walking off stage.

You can't stop the waves but you can learn to surf.
  Back   Reply