Rehearsal Room

Register
Sign in

Smirks & Songs  PV Rorie   Done 

His steps echoed through the hall that lead towards the rehearsal room. Inspecting eyes lingered through the dim-lit corridor as they mapped out their route before him. Hands reached for the door. Right on the handle, left on the wooden surface. A gentle push was all it took for a seemingly heavy piece of wood to open. With little to no sound, the boy entered.

To his relief, she was already there. Between a number of musical instruments set up for use, he could see the blonde strands in her brown hair shimmer under the stage light. To his impression, she had not yet taken any notice to the newly arrival. As he neared the bright lit stage, he could hear her sing a soft, unfinished tune. A tune he remembered from the stream where they had met.

Leaving his shoulder bag next to him as he sat in the first row of seats, his right hand pulled out an old, worn sketchbook followed by the first smirk of today's adventure. It needed to be short, as he did not want to keep her waiting longer than necessary. As his pencil drew its last line, he rose to his feet. He wasn't sure if this was such a great idea actually...

"People always serve best as models when they occupy themselves with where their passions lie." Hugh's voice bellowed through the room as he entered the stage. "That would be lesson number one I guess." he added with a soft smile hidden in the corner of his mouth. The boy turned his book around to show her, silently praying this would not turn out as an embarrassment.
Last edited by Hugh Lowe on 7th October 2018, 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

STR: 8 AGL 5 CTL: 7 STA: 10

𝕽orie had arrived a half-hour early, setting up the instruments so that they would be able to get right into the lessons. Besides, her eager and overactive self was too excited to wait another thirty minutes before going to the rehearsal room, easily Rorie's favorite room in the castle.

As she plugged in the electric guitar, her personal pride and joy, into the sound amplifier and speakers, she heard quiet steps approaching the stage.

Funny, she must've been too engaged in her work to notice anyone enter the room.

She stood up quickly, turning around to see who it was. She suspected it was Hugh, but the years of living in the dangerous ghetto had planted some defense habits into Rorie, and she never let anybody sneak up on her.

Her friend held out his sketchbook, a little worn, presumably from being used a lot for drawing, and showed her a sketch he had created. It was sort of like a candid drawing, he must have done it quickly. All the more impressive for how good it was.
"People always serve best as models when they occupy themselves with where their passions lie. That would be lesson number one I guess."
Rorie smiled widely. It was certainly a great photo, and he managed to captivate the joy Rorie apparently had around the instruments, like they were her calling, which they practically were.

"That is really really really good!" she said, admiring the artwork. "I doubt I'll be able to do that for a while yet, but hey, maybe eventually," she winked playfully at the brown-haired boy.

"So, you want to teach me first? That's probably a good idea. Go for it, my friend," the girl smirked.

To say he was delighted by her reaction would have been an understatement. Since she immediately allowed Hugh to continue talking about drawing, he presented a second sketchbook from the hand he had been hiding behind his back. This one wasn't worn and old like Hugh's. On the contrary, the leather was still brightly red and even the smell gave of a hint of fresh parchement. He had hoped she liked books such as that one. After that, he reached in his pocket and gave her a pencil and eraser as well. "I don't like using eraser's actually. My dad thinks we should accept our mistakes and just try to make best of it, learn from it. Instead of trying to wipe it away and make it seem like we had a smooth run."

Wheew, no time for philosophy now Hugh. Not even from dad. He had to slow himself down already. There was something drawing did to him, even just talking about it. But he didn't want to ruin this at all. He looked at Ro and smiled apologetically. The boy took place on the floor and offered for his friend to sit in front of him, so they'd face eachother. It must've been a bit of a silly sight.

As he gave her his well-known smirk, he opened the book at the first random blank page he could find and drew a circle. "The circle is the head..." He began to explain. He spoke of basic shapes, like a mental skeleton you'd built for people. Different techniques, materials, certain viewpoints on how to draw et cetera. Hugh clearly gave her his best as he tried to explain all he knew as an 11 year old boy. "...that's why it's important to draw what you see, not what you think."

Did I go to far? His concern burned painfully in his forehead. He felt as if he'd bored her to death with useless descriptions and anecdotes on his personal experiences with sketching. His eyes stared into hers, trying to find a psychic answer behind that light blue which made them shine bright as daylight. He backed away after a while. Not really knowing what to think or say. He cleared his throat nervously. "What did you have in mind?"
Not sure how long you had initially thought these lessons to be, but for a drawing lesson i saw little possibilities on my side to explain without going into tedious details that would simply ruin the RP. Therefor decided to keep the drawing part short in text, but maybe longer in passing time. :)

𝓢itting down across from her friend, Rorie crossed her legs in what she still called criss-cross applesauce, and probably would her whole life, still an immature child in her mind sometimes.

Rorie's eyes lit up at the nice new book. It had clean pages, the red leather unscratched and expensive looking. "You didn't have to, really..."

It looked so pricey, probably more expensive than a lot of the things she owned. Thinking about what Hugh said concerning erasers, she realized it was actually quite good advice. She liked what it meant, to move on from the past and work on shaping your future.

She drew the circle, replicating Hugh's as best she could, taking in what he said. It turned out good, she was quite proud of the shape. Funny how she prided herself on being able to draw one line. Following his instructions and trying as best she could, taking the advice openly.

"You're quite good at describing techniques and stuff. You're a good teacher, you know," she said, smiling.

"Well, what would you like to do? We could stay on the drawing for a little while longer, if you'd like, or we could move on to music, in which case, take your pick of an instrument to start on!"
You did great, it was perfect. I didn't know how long you wanted to spend on each so whatever you like!

Hugh shook his head at Ro's mention of him being a teacher. "No I'm not, silly" He looked down at the ground, trying to hide the red in his cheeks. Being on the receiving end of compliments wasn't exactly his forte. Especially Ro.

"I think music sounds like a good idea." The boy answered relieved, smiling openly again. Though his nerves would be visible in his anticipation. Sadly, Hugh had always been prone to fall to his nerves. To him, it seemed like they were like a wall. A trap that could come from the smallest doubt in his stream of thoughts.

He was quite curious what Ro would show him. He knew next to nothing about music, except for hearing it on the radio or listening to his own playlists. His eyes grew a bit wider as he was planning on staying as focused as possible for this lesson. The gryffindor girl being his teacher was a nice prospect of course. Though he was too shy to admit that at the moment.

"What's the plan, Professor Thompson?" He asked as he stood up straight, ready for his mission. His smirk didn’t seem as confident as before. A small fear was present involving some doubts whether or not he'd actually be able to learn anything. He certainly meant to practice where necessary.

"𝓨ou smirk a lot. I'm gonna call you smirk," Rorie said, laughing. "Anyways, let's start on piano. So obviously there's grand, the regular, and then the electronic keyboard, which can be really cool. But let's start on grand."

Rorie led her messy haired friend over to the piano, pulling up another bench so that both of them could sit. She quickly tied her hair back so it wasn't in her face.

"So, the first thing you need to learn is how to play a chord. Just put your hands here and here," she said showing him. She had a hard time describing where they were. "Yeah, so when you press a key on the piano, keep your hands relaxed. Do it gently," she explained.

"Now for the actual chord. You play all five fingers on your right hand then cross under for the last few keys. For the left, three fingers then cross over for the next five," she said, then demonstrated.

"Smirk... I don't smirk!" Hugh did not even last one second before he delivered the evidence. Laughing with himself, he followed Rorie to the piano. The boy scratched his scruffy head as the girl took place next to him. He watched her tie her hair back and then proceeded to keep his eyes on the keys.

She went on to explain how to play a chord. Nothing too difficult to his friend's abilities Hugh imagined, but the look on his eyes showed uncertainty at its best.

"Here and here... right hand... three... cross over... uhm." His eyes glanced sideways as he seemed to only produce a chaotic string of plings and plongs. For a moment he was silent, grimacing at his own performance. Then he couldn’t hold back his laughter. “I’m already a natural. I’d say I’m very avant-garde regarding my style of playing.” The irony in his words was clear by his tone.

His dark green eyes attempted to trace back Rorie’s steps as she explained him just a minute ago. He tried again. “Hands here and here… right hand… all fingers… cross under… left… three… cross over” Still didn’t sound like his friend did it, but that sounded okay…ish. He turned back to Rorie, hoping that wasn’t too terrible. At least she didn’t have her fingers in her ears yet. If he was trying to achieve that, he should just start singing.

"𝓗ey, you're way better than I was the first time I touched a piano," she said. It was true, she took longer to learn piano than any other instrument, her tiny hands having a hard time learning how to move smoothly. "You have the right idea, it's just lots of practice and then learning how to read the pieces. Don't worry, it is a lot for one lesson. If you forget some of it, that's fine, like I said before, this was hard for me too."

"Someday, you'll be able to play all these instruments," she said confidently. "But for now, have you ever watched someone's fingers while they play the guitar? I found that just spectating how one does it, you can learn easier."

She got up from the piano and checked her electric guitar. The instrument was decorated in painted orange, red, and blue fire, with white in the middle. Quickly adjusting the knobs to tune it, she pulled a guitar pick out of the pocket of her hoodie and began to use it.

“Alright, let’s go with...hmmm,” Rorie thought, going through her mind to see what sort of song she could play. “Aha! Waves, Guthrie Govan. Classic, really. If earth was in a battle with an alien race, and the only way to survive was to win a guitar battle, Guthrie would save us. Anyways, enough with my talking.”

Rorie began to play the song, her fingers moving quickly over the strings and compressing them when needed. It was a shorter version, as the full song was a good five minutes, and she didn’t want to bore Hugh to death. After her three minute simplified version, she added in a personal touch of a final twang of all the strings, an abrupt last note instead of the fade away the real song had.

“Ay, catch!” she called to the boy, tossing him her guitar pick playfully.

He didn’t believe her at all, but he was grateful for her saying so nonetheless. He realised a multitude of days to practice would await him in the future. His eyes widened at her mentioning he’d learn to use all instruments present in the room. As he looked around, there were quite a few. Eventually she proposed to play the guitar while he could spectate. By the looks of how she was able to quickly navigate through the knobs, he could tell she had mastered this one. The instrument was heavily decorated it seemed. The flames represented her own passion for music he thought to himself.

Hugh realised he had been quiet for too long once more. He sometimes got so easily lost in his own thoughts. “Guthrie Govan? Never heard of him.” Hugh mumbled to himself as he didn’t want to interrupt Ro with her performance. And what a performance it was. Fast moving fingers slid over the guitar as she played a “simplified” version of the original song she knew so well. She ended it with a spectacular twang as well.

Hugh was in awe after all that. A baffled gaze stared at Rorie without focus, as he seemed mainly left with wonder in his mind. A pick was thrown at him and despite his lack of focus after the dazzling performance, he was able to catch it with both hands. Slowly, he got back up his feet and walked towards Rorie, “T-that was amazing. Can you do it again? Or another one?” Hugh couldn’t contain his enthusiasm after seeing Rorie own her part with the guitar. They’d be rehearsing all afternoon. Well, Hugh would mainly be watching…