Rehearsal Room

Register
Sign in

An Unexpected Meeting  PV L.Riley   Closed 

Sonya walked quickly down the Hogwarts halls and to the rehearsal room. Typically at this time nobody else was in there and she could have it all to herself. She pushed open the door and walked into the room, which was empty of people. The rehearsal room was a calming space for her, particularly after a long day of classes. This was her happy place. Sonya loved preforming, that may be because her mother was a performer and it just felt like a piece of her. Her aunt loved taking her to see broadway shows and the love of theater just stuck to her ever sense she saw her first show. She paced the floor, doing the occasional hop or leap, thinking of what to sing.  She was in a perky mood today so she wanted to sing something upbeat. She thought of a song, which was one of her favorites to preform, Popular from Wicked. It may be kinda basic but she liked it because it was upbeat and perky. She started singing, skipping over Elphaba's lines.

Whenever I see someone
Less fortunate than I
And let's face it - who isn't
Less fortunate than I?
My tender heart
Tends to start to bleed
And when someone needs a makeover
I simply have to take over
I know I know exactly what they need
And even in your case
Tho' it's the toughest case I've yet to face
Don't worry - I'm determined to succeed
Follow my lead
And yes, indeed
You will be
Popular!
You're gonna be popular!
I'll teach you the proper ploys
When you talk to boys
Little ways to flirt and flounce
I'll show you what shoes to wear
How to fix your hair
Everything that really counts
To be popular
I'll help you be popular!
You'll hang with the right cohorts
You'll be good at sports
Know the slang you've got to know
So let's start
'Cause you've got an awfully long way to go
Don't be offended by my frank analysis
Think of it as personality dialysis
Now that I've chosen to be come a pal, a
Sister and adviser
There's nobody wiser
Not when it comes to popular -
I know about popular
And with an assist from me
To be who you'll bee
Instead of dreary who-you-were-
Well are
There's nothing that can stop you
From becoming popu-
Ler- lar
La la la la
We're gonna make
You popular
When I see depressing creatures
With unprepossessing features
I remind them on their own behalf
To think of
Celebrated heads of state or
Specially great communicators
Did they have brains or knowledge?
Don't make me laugh!
They were popular! Please -
It's all about popular!
It's not about aptitude
It's the way you're viewed
So it's very shrewd to be
Very very popular
Like me!
And though you protest
Your disinterest
I know clandestinely
You're gonna grin and bear it
Your new found popularity
La la la la
You'll be popular -
Just not as quite as popular
As me!

She finished the song proudly, having hit all the right notes and belting precisely. She loved the rush that preforming gave her, she was now full of energy. She began to pace again, stretching out, as she thought of another song to sing.

"Life is never what you plan"

Landon had walked into the rehearsal room with his guitar case in hand towards the end of a girl's singing. He recognized her from the common room, but he hadn't ever talked to her.

What was her name? He knew it started with an S.

Landon didn't want to make it awkward for her, but he felt that ignoring her completely would be rude, so he gave a gentle applause.

"Uh, that was really good!" He said kindly, making his way up to the front of the rehearsal room.

"I'm Landon... Riley," the boy introduced himself, adding on his last name for kicks.

"Would you mind if I shared your stage, I have a guitar, maybe we could duet or something?" He slyly suggested. He looked at the girl. She had light brown hair and blue eyes, not to mention a good taste of Broadway musicals judging by the song she performed.

"Wicked, huh? Good show, I like Hamilton more though," Landon teased, smirking and humming the tune of the first song from the musical.

He put the guitar case down and pulled out his acoustic. It needed tuning, this was his first time using it since arriving at Hogwarts. As he took the knobs on the end and adjusted them, he wondered what song the girl would sing next.

Sonya looked up when she heard someone clap softly, startled at the intrusion. She recognized the person as he was in Hufflepuff but had never talked to him. The boy complimented her then introduced himself as Landon Riley. "Thanks! I'm Sonya Carlson," she introduced herself. She was blushing slightly, as she had no idea he was there when she was preforming. "It's no problem at all if we share. I might sing some more to get warmed up though," she said.

Landon seemed nice, so she didn't mind sharing the space. He commented on her music taste, saying he liked Hamilton. "Oh! I love Hamilton! My aunt took me to see it on my birthday last year! and The King George songs are super fun to sing," she laughed. He opened his guitar case and tuned his instrument and upon the vocal science she busted into You'll Be Back from Hamilton, villain songs were always fun.

You say
The price of my love's not a price that you're willing to pay
You cry
In your tea which you hurl in the sea when you see me go by
Why so sad?
Remember we made an arrangement when you went away
Now you're making me mad
Remember, despite our estrangement, I'm your man
You'll be back, soon you'll see
You'll remember you belong to me
You'll be back, time will tell
You'll remember that I served you well
Oceans rise, empires fall
We have seen each other through it all
And when push comes to shove
I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love!
Da da da dat da dat da da da da ya da
Da da dat dat da ya da!
Da da dat dat da
You say our love is draining and you can't go on
You'll be the one complaining when I am gone
And no, don't change the subject
'Cause you're my favorite subject
My sweet, submissive subject
My loyal, royal subject
Forever and ever and ever and ever and ever
You'll be back like before
I will fight the fight and win the war
For your love, for your praise
And I'll love you till my dying days
When you're gone, I'll go mad
So don't throw away this thing we had
'Cause when push comes to shove
I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love
Da da dat dat da ya da!
Da da dat—
Everybody!
Da da dat dat da ya da!
Da da da dat da dat da da da da ya da da da da
Dat dat da ya da!

She smiled as she finished the song. She belted a lot so that song was alway fun, and it was very comedic as well. She was always super energetic when she sang, so she acted a lot. Her dream was to be a preformer, like her mother, so she practiced as much as possible. She listened for what Landon would say next.

Landon himself felt his cheeks getting a little redder after seeing her blush, looking down at his shoes thoughtfully in hopes that the brown-haired girl wouldn't notice.

"So you like to sing the antagonist songs, huh?" he smirked at Sonya. "Hey, I can't complain, I like 'em too."

After he finished tuning the guitar, he took out his pick- orange with his initials carved on it, his second favorite one, only after the one he took from his brother- and quickly warmed up his fingers. Then he began to play Learn To Be Lonely from Phantom Of The Opera, one of the best in his opinion.

He wondered if Sonya would join in and sing the lyrics. It would be interesting to hear her stunning voice sing yet another theatrical hit.

He watched her, her medium-length brown waves of hair bouncing up and down slightly with every breath she took. Her blue eyes seemed to almost smile when she sang, he had observed. Something that showed just how passionate she was about her music. It was something Landon did subconsciously as well.

Landon usually prided himself on being reckless and pranking everyone, but with Sonya he felt a little calmer and more relaxed.

That concept sort of scared him.

Sonya thought she saw Landon blushing when she was singing, but she brushed the thought away. They'd only known each other for minutes, surely their were no feelings involved between them. He commented to her song and she smiled slightly, watching him tune his guitar. He then played Learn to Be Lonely from Phantom of the Opera, a song she quite liked. She listened to him play the opening, quite skillfully, then jumped in with the lyrics. Swaying slightly to the music.

Child of the wilderness
Born into emptiness
Learn to be lonely
Learn to find your way your way in darkness
Who will be there for you?
Comfort and care for you?
Learn to be lonely
Learn to be your one companion
Never dreamed out in the world
There are arms to hold you
You've always known
Your heart was on its own
So laugh in your loneliness
Child of the wilderness
Learn to be lonely
Learn how to love life that is lived alone
Learn to be lonely
Life can be lived
Life can be loved
Alone

She smiled as she finished. Her notes were great, it was a relaxed song and not very challenging to sing on her part. Landon was great at the guitar as well, not missing a note "Wow. You're really good," Sonya complimented. Landon was skillful at guitar, and seemed happy doing it. Sonya loved her music and it seemed she had found another person who was passionate as well. She was glad they has similar interests, as Landon was nice and she'd like to make more friends. Music was her form of creative expression and she loved preforming. It was a way, in a sense, to connect to her mother. Although Sonya never met her she felt like she could've been close to her and wanted to keep a bond. "So, how'd you get into music?" She asked, wanting to know more about Landon.