Rehearsal Room

Register
Sign in

Do They Duet?  Closed 

After Muriel had grabbed her Clarinet from her dorm she had led the way to the rehearsal room. Rylet excitedly skipping along behind her. As they neared their intended classroom target she smile in excitement, pushing the door open and peaking her head inside too see if anyone was around. However, they were lucky and not a soul inhabited the place.

"Alright! What song's can you play?" She asked finding her way too the piano bench and sitting down, her legs crossed and arms braced behind her as she addressed Muriel. "I don't really know a lot about music in the notes and chords sense. I sing just by singing, listening to the beats, my mom says I have an ear for rhythm and mimicry. So I just kinda wing it." Rylet continued in an attempt to explain what she was not so sure how too. Now all that was left too do was wait and see what songs Muriel could perform, and if they could work something out. She could not wait too start singing, missing the feeling of actually letting loose and letting the lyrics flow. Loving the way the melody flowed from her lips and triggered the feeling of which the songs so often embodied.

Stamina - 5 | Agility- 5 | Strength - 2 | Control- 6 | Arcane Power - 5 | Accuracy- 7

Do They Duet?  Closed 

Muriel followed Rylet into the rehearsal room, grinning from ear to ear as she grabbed a stand and set it beside her, raising it to her height. She turned around to lay down her thick pile of sheet music and her clarinet case onto the lid of the piano as she listened to Rylet explain her singing style.

"Well I brought everything I had, which includes classical pieces from Mozart and such and also more modern pop songs... which I'm guessing will be more suitable for a duet." She answered, quickly sorting the papers out into two piles and picking up the first song on top. "Uhh, do you know Centuries? By Fall Out Boy?" She asked, scanning the music briefly before moving it to her stand.

She recognized the song well and it was pretty easy to play, however, she wondered how good it would sound considering it was written for "rock" instruments like the guitar and drums rather than transposed for the clarinet. "Or you can just pick out anything from that pile that you recognize... I'll probably know it or just sightread it if I have to," Muriel added before she began to assemble her instrument and look over her reeds, trying to tell which ones still needed broken in and which ones were ready to play. 

She couldn't wait to get started; she really needed the practice, but she was also excited to play with another person. Her grin persisted as she finally finished assembling her clarinet and put a reed on, prepared to play... anything really!

Stamina: 8; Agility: 8; Strength: 5; Control: 9

Do They Duet?  Closed 

Ryet really liked Muriel's suggestion and nodded vigorously, Fall Out Boy was one of her favorites. She watched as the other Witch readied her instrument and started to play, attempting to follow along with the lyrics.
"Some legend are told"
"Some turn- to dust... or to- gold..."

But the notes left her lips disjointed and strained, her mind trying to slow down to the clarinets tempo yet her muscle memory urging her forwards. She wanted to let loose with her voice, feel the strain, vibe with the beat and the words even as they were played. But she could not, she was on a meteorically leash. This just would not do.
She cleared her throat and winced, no longer singing. "Hey, um, can we try another song? I love this one but I'm just not sure the clarinet is made for it.." Blushing in embarrassment Rylet flipped through the other music pages, coming up with two songs she wanted to try out. 'Radioactive' and 'A thousand years' were both songs she recognized and liked. "Wana try radioactive first?" She questioned Muriel, her tone unsure as she felt that the other girl, at any moment, would blow up on her for not liking the first one. It was no that Muriel was bad at playing, simple that she could not get into that song with this particular instrument.

Stamina - 5 | Agility- 5 | Strength - 2 | Control- 6 | Arcane Power - 5 | Accuracy- 7

Do They Duet?  Closed 

Muriel had eventually stopped playing a few seconds after Rylet had stopped singing. She gazed at the girl curiously wondering what was wrong, but in her mind already knew. Sure enough, her original doubts were confirmed when Rylet admitted that the song didn’t exactly fit her instrument. As she adjusted her reed again, Muriel was surprised when the girl brought up the song ‘Radioactive’; she didn’t even realize she had that song.

“Ok... sure!” She replied, taking the sheet music from her and switching it out onto her stand. She briefly fingered through the notes, her muscle memory eventually coming back after a few repitions, and turned back towards Rylet. “Ready whenever you are! Hopefully this song will sound better!”

As she scanned the music again, Muriel was happy to notice that she had the melody as well, which would make it easier for her to stay with Rylet. On top of that, she was pretty sure that her high notes especially would give the song the proper mood it needed, unlike Centuries which had sounded rather lame in all honesty. Even if it didn’t, it wouldn’t be the end of the world; they’d eventually have to find a song that worked, the pile was still very thick.

Stamina: 8; Agility: 8; Strength: 5; Control: 9

Do They Duet?  Closed 

Rylet took a deep breath and cleared her throat. She needed to remember to breath through her mouth and not her nose, as the quality of her voice would be better that way. To extend her stomach with every breath and not go into her breathy voice but rather trust her voice to be able to perform the way she needed. She signaled to Muriel to start playing and just listened, taping her fingers against her leg with the beat, mouthing the words, making a map of the ups and downs and holds her voice would have to follow. This was a much better song to sing too.

"Alright, I'm ready." Muriel readied her instrument once more, the beautiful sound of the clarinet ringing though the room clear and emotional. The first notes left Rylet's throat.

"Whoa, oh, oh"
"Whoa, oh, oh"
"Whoa, oh, oh"
"Whoa..."

She started off soft, growing in volume as the clarinet did, but not exceeding it. Her voice deep and rich. Rylet holding the last whoa with a quick of her lips as she prepared for the more taxing next versus.

"I'm waking up, to ash and dust, I wipe my brow and I sweat my rust!" her face morphed into a smile, her eyes closing and face crinkling in intensity. Her hips swinging and hangs accenting her words as they moved right alongside her body to the flow of the notes. Her voice dipping down low than rising as she enjoyed the way the clarinets notes fit with hers.