Rehearsal Room

Register
Sign in

The Bird Girl and Her Song  Abandoned 

Bernadette peeked inside of the room. “A rehearsal room...?” She murmured to herself, inching forward.
“With a piano...” She looked around for any signs that the piano or any of the other instruments were dangerous or cursed, as things typically were at Hogwarts. Oddly enough, there was none. “I suppose I should give it a shot. For curiosity’s sake.”
She decided, sitting down at the piano’s bench. She began to play the first few notes of a song and quietly singing the lyrics, her voice barely louder than the piano’s chimes. “It started out as a feeling,” The girl’s voice wasn’t particularly beautiful. She was no musical prodigy. But there was something so soothing to her about songs. It felt... odd to be playing piano without the soft chirps of a bird accompanying it.
“Which then grew into a hope,” She continued singing, remembering the song from her parents playing it in their study. “Which then grew into a quiet thought, which then grew into a quiet word.” The music swelled up a bit, and in turn, so did the girl’s voice.
“And then that word grew louder and louder, ‘till it was a battle cry!” She paused a moment and her voice returned to it’s natural softness. “I'll come back, when you caaaaallll me. No need to say goodbye.”
Last edited by Bernadette Winterwell on 8th August 2018, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

𝓑𝓲𝓻𝓭𝓲𝓮 𝓦𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓻𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓵 (•ө•)♡
𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓽 𝔀𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝓫𝓮 𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓮𝓽 𝓲𝓯 𝓷𝓸 𝓫𝓲𝓻𝓭𝓼 𝓼𝓾𝓷𝓰 𝓮𝔁𝓬𝓮𝓹𝓽 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓼𝓾𝓷𝓰 𝓫𝓮𝓼𝓽.

With quiet footsteps Aveline passed the room but almost immediately stopped probably hearing the sound behind the door. "What is that?" She mumbled to herself.

For a while she didn't move an inch of her body, simply standing there and listening. After a while, her curiosity overtook her and she placed her fingers on the handle of the door to open them silently just to make a little gap to see inside. Her gaze then scanned whole room until she set it on the small girl behind the piano. While looking at that girl, a smile appeared at her face, a bit sad maybe but still a smile.

She didn't even think of interrupting the song, just made a gap a little bit bigger to enter the room and as quiet as it was possible, she closed the door behind her, with soft steps she then went to sit on one of the chairs posing as a spectator.

There was probably a much on her mind or on the other hand maybe nothing since she just sat there saying nothing, only silently watching that little singer. The only move she made was to tuck her loose strand of hair behind her ear.

Aveline Sterling ~ at your service ~

Birdie didn't notice the girl was there. She simply continued playing, her voice now echoing around the room.
"Just because everything's changing, doesn't mean it's never been this way before." She quietly vocalized the pause, as she swore she heard the singer do.
"All you can do is try to know who your friends are, as you head offfff to the war." It didn't occur to her that anyone was nearby. Perhaps being alone for so long had made her blissfully unaware of anyone walking in on her.
"Pick a star on the dark horizon and follloooow the light! You'll come back, when it's ooooover. No need to say goodbye. You'll come baaack, when it's ooooover, no need to say goodbyeeeeeeeee!!!"
Birdie was not used to singing during piano, but it felt natural in this case. The lyrics were too pretty to completely ignore, one of the reasons she liked the song so much. However, she was better at playing piano than singing, which the solo demonstrated. She remembered back to choir practice with the birds and smiled. They were much better at vocals than her.
"Now we're back to the beginning, it's just a feeling and no one knows yet. But just because they can't feel it too doesn't mean that you have to forget. Let your memories grow stronger and stronger, 'till they're beforeee your eyeeessssss!"
She took a quick breath inbetween lyrics. "You'll come baaack, when they caaallllll you. No need to say goodbye. You'll come baaack, when they caaalllll you. No need to say goobyeeeeeee..." She played the final few notes of the song.

𝓑𝓲𝓻𝓭𝓲𝓮 𝓦𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓻𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓵 (•ө•)♡
𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓯𝓸𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓽 𝔀𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝓫𝓮 𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓮𝓽 𝓲𝓯 𝓷𝓸 𝓫𝓲𝓻𝓭𝓼 𝓼𝓾𝓷𝓰 𝓮𝔁𝓬𝓮𝓹𝓽 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓼𝓾𝓷𝓰 𝓫𝓮𝓼𝓽.

Ave leaned back on the chair so she would be more comfortable sitting and right after that she tilted her head a bit up to see the ceiling. She closed her eyes and started moving her lips in a soundless voice, probably singing without the actual singing part.

When the girl reached the "Pick a star on the dark horizon" part, Aveline's smile deepened but she didn't stop at her previous activity, on the contrary, her lips continued to move and simultaneously she started to play with a few strands of her hair, probably sign of a great ability of multitasking.

But she didn't even finish a half of whatever she was trying to finish with her hair and the song was already almost over. She kept her eyes closed the whole time though so that head of hers wasn't really any masterpiece, just something.. weird, simply weird. At the end of the song she lowered her hands on her lap but didn't stop moving her lips.

"No need to say goodbye." She sang with a soft and quite clear voice, probably forgetting her previous purpose of being silent and invisible. She most likely didn't even realize that she could have been heard this time since her eyes remained shut.

"No need to say goodbye."
Birdie's eyes went wide with fear and surprise. "What the actual heck...? Was that a demon??? Crap, I knew this thing was cursed!"
She thought, slowly turning her head towards the audience, where she (correctly) assumed the noise came from.That's when she spotted the Slytherin girl sitting in one of the chairs with her eyes closed. "Uh..."
It took her a moment to process everything, and more importantly, decide what to say. Now, it would have to be casual to maintain a reputation of a calm and collected girl, but polite, as to not offend her and/or a club, if she was indeed there for a club.
"...Are you a demon?" DANGIT! That was exactly the wrong thing to say. Birdie silently cursed her awkwardness, although perhaps it would answer her very, very stupid question.
She attempted to make a swift recovery, but of course it failed, because having mostly birds for company for the better part of one's life does not make one socially adept. "I mean... uh... sorry, if you're here to use the room... I'll just... bye."
She briskly powerwalked towards the door, internally screaming "OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH"

𝓑𝓲𝓻𝓭𝓲𝓮 𝓦𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓻𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓵 (•ө•)♡

After some noises different to singing or playing the piano, Ave slowly opened her eyes just before the girl asked that very strange question.
"...Are you a demon?"
Aveline chuckled and then tilted her head to the side looking right at the girl. "Do I look like one?" She slightly lifted one of her eyebrows, her lips curled into a amused smile.
"Like, I know red hair can be quite devilish, but still.." Soft laugh escaped her body. "You're great, I like you." She proclaimed right after.
The little singer was already on the way out though, so Ave quickly jumped out of her chair probably in some kind of weird way of trying to stop her. "Don't.. you don't have to go!" She blurted out loudly.
"It was me who came here uninvited, so if someone should go.. it should be me." She continued to mumble but it was loud enough to be heard. She didn't really look like she wanted to leave.
"Um.. I.. I'm Aveline, Aveline Sterling by the way.. not a demon." Explanation came out of her at the same time as her introductions.
"Even though I kinda do look like one, I must admit." She grinned at that girl, probably trying to calm her down a bit.

She stopped turned around, still blushing from embarrassment. "I'm... Bernadette Winterwell. But I prefer to be called Birdie." She sighed. "Sorry for implying that you look like a demon. I just wasn't expecting someone to be in the room. Not to mention, half the things in or around this school are cursed or dangerous. I overheard some other students saying that there was a giant three-headed dog here at one point! Although it would be pretty nice to play with a giant puppy..." She murmured as if she was talking to herself. "I also heard them talking about the dragons. Apparently they were shipped in for a tri-wizard tournament, so they actually made students go up against them!" She sighed. "I can't imagine being in that situation... actually I can. I'd be an anxious wreck." She paused a moment, as if collecting her thoughts. "...I'm rambling again..." She muttered as she switched from a cheerful disposition to a more gloomy one. "Sorry... I tend to do that sometimes." She sighed. "Well since you don't seem to be using the room, I suppose I can keep playing piano?" The girl smiled awkwardly and made her way to the piano again, scanning her brain for another song.

𝓑𝓲𝓻𝓭𝓲𝓮 𝓦𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓻𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓵 (•ө•)♡

When it's almost sure that girl, or Birdie, as she introduced herself, won't be going anywhere anytime soon, Aveline sat back on the chair a made herself comfortable but kept her mouth shut until the girl stopped her talking, probably didn't want to interrupt. "Pleased to meet you." Her face lightened up in a soft smile but then she paused as if the girl's words got to her just that very moment.

"Three-headed dog? Dragons? Do we have such creatures here? I want to see them!" She clapped her hands together as a little child she was. "And I want to meet them too.." She whined softly but her eyes were full of dazzling sparkles which made their color a little brighter resembling the skies.

Ave wasn't really a person to apologize for her own ramblings though, she just fell silent for a while most likely thinking what to say next, before she started again. "So.. how long do you play piano? Is it hard? And.. how many songs can you play?" It might seem that she was born to ask questions, would probably make a great interrogator.
"You're really great at playing, by the way. It sounds really nice." She pulled a compliment out of nowhere, beaming with cheerful smile.

"I don't think the creatures are here anymore. I mean, you'd have to be crazy to keep them here, where they can and will hurt children." She shrugged. "Although I would want to meet them too.
And I've been playing piano since I was little. I think I was four when I started practicing. It got easier as I got better at it, and now it just feels natural. I've only memorized fourteen songs so far, and I've been working hard to play them perfectly, so I'm glad you like it."
She smiled and continued to walk towards the piano until she was seated in front of the keys. "Since you don't mind my singing, I want to play something else." As she started playing the song, it felt much more somber than the last. She didn't start singing right away, but rather let the song slowly build up.
"Far away at the shore in a town beside the sea, alone stands a girl staring longingly. It is here at the shore where she holds onto her chest, a secret she daaare never speeeaak... If you write a wish upon a paper and you place, it intooo a glass bottleeeee... and it's washed away by the ocean then someday, there's a chance that it may just come truuuuueeeee...!"

𝓑𝓲𝓻𝓭𝓲𝓮 𝓦𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓻𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓵 (•ө•)♡

"That.. is not good. Like.. how can they know the creatures would hurt us? There can be good ones or we could always tame them!" She started to passionately defending those surely poor creatures that only mean well and just as she was parting her lips again, she shut her mouth at once as Birdie started to play another song.

At first she went completely silent just sitting there at her chair and loosing her weird hairstyle brushing her hair with her fingers. However after a few words from the song, she got up and crossed that little space between her seat and the piano leaning against armchair standing nearby with a satisfied smile decorating her face.

"If you write a wish upon a paper and you place, it into a glass bottlee.." She started singing with her own voice joining Birdie, interweaving their voices and that way creating a perfect harmony.
"..and it's washed away by the ocean then someday, there's a chance that it may just come truueee...!" She continued the song, even though at some words she lowered down her voice as if she weren't always sure if those are the right ones. She didn't completely stop though and carried on.

"Drifting faaaarrrrther away, riding swiftly on the waves.... a message contaaaiinnning a wish was made, heading steaaadily towards the horizon...! and gradually faaaaading awaaaaaaaaaay......" The song went from the powerful chorus to the soft, break in the song. Birdie quietly vocalized the notes she was playing, as she remembered from the original. This was her favorite part. It reminded her of old memories, ones that she would rather forget. Her eyes were lined with tears and her voice was slightly quivering when the solo was finished. "Through the daaaaarkest of days, you were always by my side... no matter what I'd say you would aaaaaabide. Constantly I let my selfishness take control of me... and caused you a life full of grieeeeeeffff.... But now all because of the mistakes that I have made, you're no longer here with meeeeeeee...! In order to get all this pain off of my chest, I must spill my woes into the seeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaa....." She took a deep gasp of air, drowned out by the piano. "Drifting faaaaaarther away, little wish upon the waves... with eyeeees full of teeears she regrets those days...! It is then that she reeeeeeaaaaaliiiiizessss thisss: her sin has taken everythiiiinnngggg awaaaaaaaaaaayyyy..."

𝓑𝓲𝓻𝓭𝓲𝓮 𝓦𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓻𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓵 (•ө•)♡

Aveline did her best to keep up with the song even though she weren't always right about the words. She sang softly like the summer breeze, maybe it was on purpose to hide those mistakes she did in the lyrics, maybe it was just a coincidence. Nonetheless she did her best until the end of the song, until the last words from lyrics even though she butchered some of them. It probably wasn't her fault though since she might have not known the song and could have just joined in the spur of the moment.

"I.. that was nice.. good, I mean." She tried to catch her breath, most likely she wasn't used to sing very much although she had a quite clear voice for not using it very often.
"Do you.. come here often?" She asked right away locking her eyes in Birdie's direction. "It is actually my first time. Like here.. 'cause I was never really interested in music, but singing with you seems fun." She says almost in one breath and then pauses for a long while, the pause for breathing in some air, since according to her face, her lungs were really in a pinch right now.

Reducio
Sorry for replying so late... not only did I get *~detention~* but I'm also used to writing short, quick sentences in roleplay instead of long paragraphs so it's kind of hard for me to stretch things out. TL;DR sorry!

"Oh, uh... thank you!" Birdie smiled, lifting her hands off of the keys. It wasn't often she got praise, so she was surprised to hear that the girl liked her playing. It felt odd, in a nice kind of way. Like bubble tea as an emotion. She wondered if that made sense. Probably not, but then again, very few things in her life made sense.
"No, I just discovered this place earlier. I think you arrived like, five minutes after me. It is really fun playing piano and singing here though. I think I'll be coming back here sometime. Back home, I'd play piano all the time, so I can't really stay away from music for too long."
She paused, seeing Aveline breathless. "...Are you okay...? You look like you've just run five laps around the castle without a break... do you need to go to the nurse or something?" Her eyes shone with sympathy. "Or maybe you just need to take a break from singing. I think resting our voices would do us both good. What do you think?” Birdie quietly hoped that the girl wasn’t dying and that she was just tired of singing. It wouldn’t seem appropriate to treat such a heavy situation with light words.

𝓑𝓲𝓻𝓭𝓲𝓮 𝓦𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓻𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓵 (•ө•)♡