Rehearsal Room

Register
Sign in

In Need of a Band  Closed 

Alexx was slouched, her hands dug deep into her pockets. She resembled the posture of Jughead Jones, her all-time favorite comic book character. She was just as laid-back as he was, too. Just as thoughtless.

She pushed open the door to the Rehearsal Room, almost as if it were second nature. Inside, she found instruments of all sorts. Her posture straightened and her eyes grew wide. This was heaven! Glancing slowly, taking it all in, she spotted every type of instrument she had ever touched and more. Pianos, flutes, clarinets, saxophones, trumpets, and even tubas. A tuba! The blonde rushed over to meet the silver instrument, it's body clean and shiny, having never been touched with bare hands. Carefully, after sliding on the gloves provided, she picked it up and sat with it. Her eyes shut softly, and she smiled.

Instinctively, without even a second thought, she played her favorite scale: Concert E Flat, two octaves. This was the scale that had gotten her into honor bands, and honestly, saved her reputation as a musician on many occasions. Lost in her zone, she then played Concert A Flat, two octaves. It all felt too familiar, too much like home. Fluttering with happiness, she decided she should play a real song.

"Anyway, here's Wonderwall." She muttered, chuckling to herself. From her memory, she was able to play Wonderwall by Oasis, a song which she really had learned for the meme of it. But, it was also the first song she could remember to play by memory. I need a band.

Strength:7 Agility:6 Control:5 Stamina:8

Evelyn was passing by on her way to the library she heard the key notes to a familiar song. It was something she had picked up from a friend and had grown keen on the song. It wasn't drums or anything playing the chords. Rather she found it was a brass instrument. Maybe Tuba or the like? She peeked her head into the ajar door and blinked. Ha! First guess. Which was a suprise since she mostly studied string instruments and hadn't much knowledge on wind or brass. It was a blonde girl playing it; not somebody she recognized from all her time in the hufflepuff common room so the girl was probably one from another house. She hasn't had any classes yet because the professors gave time to adjust to the large mansion so she wouldn't be able to narrow them down. They were probably first or second year. Evelyn guessed as she chewed on the inside of her check so she didn't disrupt the wonderful sound the girl was able to coax from the large brass instrument. The girl was obviously extremely into her performance and she supposed she should wait for the girl to hit the last notes before she made herself known. So she braced herself against the doorway and enjoyed the music for as long as the girl was going to play.

Evelyn Moore
Stam: 4 Ag: 6 Str: 4 Con: 6 Arc: 5 Acc: 5

Alexx finished up the last bit of the song, slowly falling out of the trance her performance had put her in. It had been a long time since she had felt this way. Glancing up, she could see someone standing at the frame of the door, watching. The blonde girl smiled, setting her instrument down to get a better view.

"Hello!" She greeted, smiling. She studied the girl closely, taking note that she was a Hufflepuff, not one that she had ever seen before. Then again, Alexx wasn't very familiar with anyone outside of her house. She hadn't gotten the opportunity to meet very many people just yet.

Unsure of what to say after that, she figured she'd ask a question pertaining to music. "Do you play?" She asked, gesturing to the wide selections of instruments in the surrounding area. She secretly hoped that the girl did, as she'd really like to befriend other musicians. More specifically, she wouldn't mind starting a band of her own, as it wasn't an elective you could take at Hogwarts. And the girl had seemed to enjoy the song, so perhaps she had a good taste in music, which would be even better.

She watched as the girl trailed off at the end of the song. The girl put on a lovely performance and she wouldn't mind hearing more songs from her. Evelyn burrowed her head further into her scarf. Now was not the time to ask. Not before she knew if she was welcome or not at least. She hid a smile behind the fabric and lifted a hand to wave back in response to the enthusiastic hello. Evelyn was happy with the warm welcome. When the girl gestured to the instruments she had asked about her ability to play any of them.
She responded positively "Indeed. I'm proficient enough to play a few string instruments. Though I do favor the guitar, violin, and cello. "
She took a pause to run through what she said and added as a last minute thought. "I'm Evelyn by the way, but some people prefer to call me Moore. I guess it up to you" Her voice was soft and mellow, complimenting her languid posture against the door frame.
She hadn't inquired about a name but offered her own because she found it polite. Evelyn blinked and gave another impression of a smile when she received a response.

Evelyn Moore

Alexx smiled at the greeting of the girl. "I'm Alexx. If you want, pick up an instrument. We could play something." She offered, still smiling. Evelyn seemed kind, and like she truly meant that she was a proficient musician. The girl had been buried in her scarf, Alexx could hardly make out any facial expressions. Still, it would be nice to have another sound radiating throughout the room.

"I'd like to start a band, actually. Maybe more like an orchestra, now that you're here." That last bit was meant to sound all-inclusive, but Alexx knew that sometimes she sounded rude without meaning to, so she hoped that Evelyn's Hufflepuff nature would help her see through Alexx's hard shell.

She was serious about her talent and honestly wanted music to be her future. Everything she did when it came to playing was serious, but it was also light-hearted, as she hated for her playing to feel more like a chore that she didn't want to do rather than an activity she found joy in. Music was her escape, and she liked to keep it just as fun as it had been when she just learned. That is why she felt suited to start a band of her own. She could keep them in line, and take things very seriously. She could even direct if she needed to. Some people saw Alexx as mean, but she saw herself as passionate. She had a true passion for music, one that she though Hogwarts needed. And, she hoped, maybe Evelyn did, too.

After a moment of consideration of what to play she bobbed her head and chose to pick up the violin case, opening it and prepping the horse hair bow that came with it. She had to remove her scarf and set it on top of the case to brace the instrument against her chin. For a moment she mourned the loss of warmth the thick scarf had provided in contrast to the cold plastic chin rest. She loosened herself up with a roll of her shoulders. Ready to prep the violin itself Evelyn idly tuned the instrument to her ear before settling on the closest chord it was at. "I can follow your lead if you like. I don't have any preference when playing the violin or cello. So it's really up whatever you would like to do." Alexx seemed like a smart individual and no doubt would be able to lead the music at her discretion. Her eyes kept track on the fellow first year for any cue or instruction. Hopefully she could do well without any sheet music in front of her to act as a guide. She would have to trust her own muscle memory. Evelyn made a small adjustment in her stance and raised her bow.

Evelyn Moore

Alexx hummed, thinking it over. "We can start with a scale to warm you up." She suggested, clicking to valves of her instrument in order to remember all of the notes. She hadn't played in ages, or at least it felt that way. She just never had the chance to. But now, with this opportunity at hand, she planned to take advantage of the room and its many purposes. This was what she had been waiting for. The opportunity to feel this happiness again, this passion that she lacked for so long. She had been stripped of many things as a child, including the ability to pursue any hobby. She always resented her family for it, but now, none of that mattered, as she had an instrument back in her hands. A chill went down her spine.

"I know the first nine major scales by memory, what about you?" Alexx wanted to get a feel for this girls capability as far as getting the notes out clearly and her range. She hadn't had much experience with stringed instruments, so she wasn't really sure how they worked. However, with the knowledge she had of other instrument families (aside from percussion, Alexx was next to talentless when it came to percussion instruments), she was sure she could make this work alright.

Evelyn thought about it for a moment. Alexx's suggestion sounded good; warming up would be smart considering she hasn't played since she had come to hogwarts a couple weeks ago. It was sure to make her rusty considering the memorizing necessary for string instruments. She wasn't one of those people who could just look at something and play it. Normally once she heard something and was able to arrange the chords in her head she was set.

"I should be fine. Going to slow or fast might mess me up though depending how comfortable I am with the scale."

Scales were easy to memorize; Evelyn herself usually used chords while warming up but the scale worked well also. If not being a bit more difficult. She had maybe five years of practice though? Her first teacher wasn't really any good once she got older, but then she switched teachers. So maybe more like two and three quarters? That sounded about right in her head.

"Don't worry about me though! Just go with a pace that you're okay with and I'll catch up. You seem like you know what you are doing, so that's good." If she did end up doing this more often she would have to practice more then she did before. Which is fine, Evelyn enjoyed playing most of the time.

Reducio
I'm sincerely sorry for not posting, I thought I was receiving notifications for anything I posted on but apparently not. I won't let it happen again.

Evelyn Moore

Alexx nodded, trying to think of which scale would come easily to her but would also be beneficial to the both of them. "Alright, then. Concert F, two octaves?" She made sure to make it sound like a question. Depending on how long Evelyn had been playing, she may not know more than one octave. Still, Concert F was the first scale, and it gave Alexx the one note she actually cared about having, Bb. She had once bombed an audition in the situation that her music had been switched up and she was forced to sight read a brand new prepared piece that was written in Concert C, where it had B natural. Ever since that day, she has hated the note with a passion, and will only play it if she absolutely has to.

Whilst waiting for an answer, Alexx took this opportunity to oil the valves of the tuba. She was sure there was some spell that you could conjure to do this for you, but she did prefer the manual way; applying the oil herself. While it often made a mess and felt awful against her skin, she found it therapeutic to oil valves. It was her way of getting truly lost in her instrument.

Reducio
You're all good!

Evelyn hummed. Her fingers absently plucked the high three strings. She wasn't sure how well the string instrument would sound with a tuba but it was worth a shot. Concert F was familiar enough for her that she could play it. The two octaves weren't a problem either. "Lead the way once you're prepared Alexx."

While Alexx oiled her tuba she decided to do a quick run through the scale a few times to get a good feel for it. She could do it in about forty or fifty seconds. Not as quick as some other people but at least she could do it in under a minute. Which she thought as an accomplishment onto itself when she was first able to do it.

Well they got ready she considered making a bit of small talk, but then again some people didn't appreciate talking while they got ready. It ruined their mojo, or something along those lines. So instead Evelyn just did an eight beat with her foot. It was a tap dance move and something she had learned from the lady who ran the theater center she visited back in london. Evelyn knew the basics and some choreographs but didn't do it much anyway outside of fidgeting or the occasional warm up.

Evelyn Moore

Alexx nodded, finishing up her task at hand. She counted a beat of 4/4 on her feet, nodding her head. "Okay, I'll count us off. I'll give us four and then three." She usually started on beat one and not four, but today she felt like it. She needed to practice it, anyway. Counting off with her foot, she started once her foot lifted off of three. The familiar feeling a low F in the buzz of her lips was comforting. She never really realized how she had developed the muscle memory that she possessed until she started playing from the heart. It truly did feel good to be able to play again.

The zone was mesmerizing, her heart swelling with happiness. She was always condemned to this state whenever she blew into a horn. It was amazing. It was more than amazing, even. It was indescribable. She could never tell anyone how great this made her feel. It wasn't that no one would understand, it was just that she didn't know how to put the feeling of it into words. This was nirvana to her. Simply bliss. A form of Utopia at it's best. This was what made her fly.