Rehearsal Room

Register
Sign in
  Back

Lone Voice  Finished 

"Have you ever felt like nobody was there? Have you ever felt forgotten in the middle of nowhere?"

Asher's voice sent shivers through Ami's spine- no words would be accurate enough to describe the sensation she was feeling. Maybe pure bliss would be able to come close, but really, there wasn't much else. She had nearly frozen in surprise (who knew an eleven-year-old's voice could be that deep?) when Asher started singing, but common sense kept her from doing so- instead, she continued playing with even more vigor, determined to not suck. Ami started to add subtle harmonies and harmonic octaves to her bass chords, making them sound deeper, fuller, and richer; and she added more flourish to the melodic higher notes. She was delighted to find that they still sounded okay with the song.

Ami gradually started to smile when Asher continued through the song, relishing the sweet sound of his voice echoing through the Rehearsal Room. One (only one) of her favorite songs from Dear Evan Hansen, she was proud to hear Asher singing it beautifully. "Have you seen this? Someone put a video of your speech online!" Ami exclaimed when it came time, trying to imitate the lisp Kristolyn Lloyd used whilst playing Alana.

esse quam videri
STA: 2 | AGI: 4 | STR: 7 | CTL: 6 | ArcP: 4 | ACC: 7

Lone Voice  Finished 

"My speech?" Is the written response. He feels so... at peace, here, surrounded by music, one of those things that got him through the tough times. This song in particular, was a disruption from his toxic conscious. It was also a way of reaching out to her, where he could not in regular words. The aspect of vulnerability disturbed him, and that was one of the scariest things about intimacy with others, about commitment to friendships. He was afraid... to let someone in, and to be used by them, and end up hurt. Hurt was the last thing he needed. He's already cried himself to sleep in his dorm behind closed curtains more nights than he cares to admit. He already dreams about his father's last days with them on a regular basis. He's woken up a few mornings with puffy, red eyes and had to excuse himself with 'allergies'. Has to confront homesickness every time he lays down in a bed that wasn't the one he grew up on. He's having a really hard time, and he doesn't need more issues piled onto his heaping plate of self-doubt and self-deprecation. "When the dark comes crashing through, when you need a friend to carry you, when you're broken on the ground, you will be found." He wishes someone would find him under that smile he wears, as he tends to find others, to lift their spirits without a second thought as to how he feels. It gets exhausting when you're doing the heavy lifting, after a while. Shutting people out was a real chore-- but if that's the case, who is he to let past his barriers?

~Lundell~

Lone Voice  Finished 

Ami looked up abruptly, her hands locking up and freezing when she heard the last line Asher sang. Something was off. The voice- his voice. It didn't crack, exactly, nor did it break- but he was emotionally attached to this song, and not in a positive way like Ami was. Something was wrong. At least, she thought so.

"Asher...?" Ami asked uncertainly, standing up. "A- are you okay?" Internally, there was half of her mind doing the Safety Dance and crowing, Ami, you rascal, rawr rawr go get 'em, tiger! Love is in the air! while the other half of her was staring in absolute disgust at Safety Dance Ami, and cautioning, Ami, turn back before it's too late! Stay in your shell! Be ANXIOUS! Be careful, you dumb, dumb girl. Stay away. This isn't your problem. 

Ami steadfastly ignored both of them, thinking, This IS my problem. I asked for requests, and I started playing the stupid song in the first place. It's my fault, and she walked over to Asher, staring at him in concern. Realizing that was probably a little weird (and most likely made him feel like an animal in a zoo), she backed up, standing a respectful distance away, her hands clasped behind her back.

esse quam videri

Lone Voice  Finished 

The horror of the situation is a slap in the face to him. Had he sung with a woeful inflection? Had he done something to make her stop playing? His heart stopped beating, a visible chill travelling along his spine and forcing a stutter in his recitation of the chorus- like a broken record in a human's body. Silence, again. Silence was too common between them.
What Asher never accounted for, was the advancement of the pianist. Or her softly-spoken questions regarding his wellbeing. "I'm fine, really." He lied through his teeth. It wasn't like he wanted to be dishonest with her. It was the anxiety and his reserved nature doing the talking for him.
He's an awful liar. Between his lip being tugged between his teeth, and his white knuckles in his lap, it's an easy deduction. Holmes isn't needed for this one. The boy is sad.
"Thank you, though. For caring," He peels his gaze from the hardwood flooring order to meet her eye, "I think you're the first one here to care about me. That means a lot to me. Thanks." He repeats. Odd, how he dances around the original question.
Ami, formerly Michael who made an entrance, is indeed, an appealing character to him. She's kind, and they share interests, and most of all, she cares. Merlin, she cares. He'd be fibbing if he said he didn't want to comfort her earlier when she'd been crying. And now, more than then, he's awfully contrite. He hasn't done enough for her. Not nearly.

~Lundell~

Lone Voice  Finished 

"I'm fine, really."

Ami immediately saw clear through Asher's lie. How many times had she been the one to utter that lie, blood dripping down her forearms and staining her sweaters? How many times had she pasted on a smile and lifted her chin up, pretending she wasn't dying inside? How many times had she repeated this to herself as she tried to sleep, how many times had she whispered this to herself while staring at her never-good-enough form in the mirror? No, this boy was not fine- there was no way. 

"Thank you, though. For caring." Asher lifted his gaze from the ground, staring Ami in the eye, luminous ocean meeting rich chocolate. Ami blinked slowly, raising an eyebrow. "I think you're the first one here to care about me. That means a lot to me. Thanks."

"Okay, I'm going to hug you right now, because that's the sweetest and yet, at the same time, the saddest thing everyone's ever said to me," Ami said decidedly. Safety Dance Ami got ridiculously amped up, squealing, shrieking, and straight up banshee-wailing while Anxiety Ami started yelling even louder, now jumping up and down and throwing stools around the room. "Are you okay with that? Because after that..." Ami trailed off, taking a deep breath. "You're going to tell me what the bloody hell set you off like that. You need to talk to someone, dude."

esse quam videri

Lone Voice  Finished 

No one ever cared enough to bother peeling back his shell, much less to see through his cleverly constructed ruse. It's barely been an hour since their meeting, and she's already shown him so much hospitality. The broken boy concealed under all those dazzling grins was being pulled from the wreckage, tug by tug. How did she do it? How did she enchant him so? If he were human, he'd have called her a witch. Ironically, that just so happens to be true.
At the prospect of being hugged by anyone besides his own mother, the shy lad tensed. Not necessarily in a bad way. Nerves, perhaps, more than anything. He'd like to believe that's all this is. Nerves.
In retrospect, maybe it wasn't. Maybe he liked the idea of a sweet, pretty girl's embrace (he doesn't remember when he registered her as being pretty, but it happened somewhere along the line). He's eleven, it's going to happen at some point, and in such an innocent situation as this, it didn't feel so wrong. Hesitantly, he scoots to the edge of his stool to allow easier access. "If it's quite alright with you, before I tell you, I want to ask." A deep breath comes from his end, his chest rising and falling with the air expelled. "Why do you care?"

~Lundell~

Lone Voice  Finished 

Reducio
Did you just- did you just call him a lad?? I forget how British Harry Potter is sometimes.

Ami hugged Asher, pouring all of her motherly love into it. This boy was so broken, and you could see it- maybe there was something to Eyes are the windows to the soul, although Ami had never believed it before. The hug lingered even after she pulled away, and she blushed slightly.

"If it's quite alright with you, before I tell you, I want to ask... why do you care?" Asher asked hesitantly. "Oh, kid..." she sighed, realizing he was her age but dismissing it. It's a very Americanly stupid reason because that's just the culture you grew up in! Anxiety Ami yelled. This is you having to deal with the consequences. Now just leave this poor boy alone! You're probably traumatizing him or something. Safety Dance Ami sighed happily, still slightly in shock from Ami's boldness in the hug. "It's... it's long. And dark. I don't think you want to hear it. I'd just bore you."

She paused, and strode over to the piano, pulling the piano bench over to Asher and his stool. She sat down on the piano bench, sitting... what had her kindergarten teacher called it? Ah, yes, criss-cross applesauce. "Spill."

esse quam videri

Lone Voice  Finished 

Reducio
Oh, totally. Next thing you know, I'm going to be dunking the lot of you in custard.

His own arms came up to briefly encircle the LASS' (A/N: H A) waist. They fit like a puzzle, with the limbs slotting over robes. There was something homey about the warmth shared between their two bodies, and he was reluctant to pull away, for he was seeking that comfort. They separated in consecutive time.
He dismisses the name he was given, instead scooting back to the centre of his stool. Least now, the rim wouldn't dig into his rear and irritate him for the duration of this discussion. His hands come down to fold back on his lap, fingers locking and interlacing.
With a glance to the window, he's grateful to see that it's nowhere close to nightfall. His lip's corners curves skyward in what could be described as a saddened smile. "I have time to spare," He insinuates, "And an ear for a story."
He twisted his face in confusion, and grimaced when she left and dragged that bench over the floor -the screech was just horrible-, thankful when the noise finally stopped, and she was seated. Her position was strange, but he wasn't one to judge. Quirky.
"Very well..." He went on to put into words the feelings the songs had stirred, that he was touched she paid any mind to him at all because of his struggle to make friends at Hogwarts. Not in-depth, but enough to give her some insight as to who he was, and some of the problems he faced, and save his admin's poor hands from ten years worth of typing. He steers clear of his past altogether. That would have to wait until another time, and until he could be sure she wouldn't backstab him.

~Lundell~

Lone Voice  Finished 

Reducio
Nuuu stahp every time you say smth like that it reminds me of Pippi Longstocking and I cry every time I read that book...

Ami sat and listened while Asher talked, intrigued. This boy had grown up sheltered from the world, even more than she had, and now he was terrified to let people in. He smiled to lift other, not himself. Wow, Anxiety Ami mumbled under her breath, humbled. He's almost in worse shape than you are. I blame the talk with Professor Lear. Real Ami stared at Anxiety Ami in horror. Stop! No, that's so rude! This isn't a competition! "Asher..." she said softly, after he'd finished talking. "No, I'm not going to use you, nor am I going to stab you in the back after we leave. What kind of Hufflepuff would I be then?"

She let silence envelop them for a while, then finally said softly, "Well, I suppose you'll want to hear my story then, won't you?" She smiled sadly, turning her head so that she wouldn't have to face the look of disgust on Asher's face after she'd finished. Because it was going to be there. He'd see how she'd given up, in contrast to how he managed to survive.

Reducio
This is sad. Don't read it. I don't know why I wrote it.

Ami fidgeted with her fingers, taking a deep breath, and started to talk. "I was bullied a lot when I was younger- looking back on it now, I'm not quite sure why, but I was. Maybe it was because I was so pale, that I was a poor girl going to a private school, or that I was a bit of a know-it-all; maybe it was because I was best friends with a gay guy before it was cool to be gay. But whatever the case... I, um..." Ami tugged on her hair, and mumbled incoherently, "I have social anxiety." She cleared her throat, glad she got that part out of the way. "I- it used to be a lot worse, but... but it's gotten better. I still stutter sometimes, though.

"M- my dad got discharged from the army after his legs blew off. I was living in London with my mom at the time, and just I- I kinda slipped into a depression, without Thomas to help get me through it all, and thinking, That's going to be me someday, just sitting there, mangled from war. See, my parents expect me to enlist when I'm 18. Anxiety, depression, and not knowing what to do... I started cutting." Ami made no move to pull up her sleeves- she wasn't ready for him to see those scars quite yet. "And that's pretty much it. Nothing compared to your hurt."

esse quam videri

Lone Voice  Finished 

Reducio
PIPPI LONGSTOCKING IS COMIN' INTO YOUR WORLD-

A voice of reason is just what he needs right now. It's convincing enough for him to relax his shoulders, so he isn't as rigid. They were starting to get sore, anyways, and he wasn't about to deal with a day's worth of stiffness because of his 'cornered animal' mindset. His fingers had since taken to clenching one another as one would squeeze a stress ball. While he may present himself one way, it's the little things like this that stand to prove that he isn't completely faultless. "I... believe you. I don't know why, but I believe you. I'm sorry."
Truthfully, he'd been wondering what it was that made her wheels turn. What made her the girl she was, and how could she talk about herself so openly? He almost envied that quality. But, nevertheless, he was happy that she was capable. Good for her. Up until Ami, he's never told anyone his story-- well, he still hadn't walked her through everything, but it was a good start. Baby steps. right?
One of Asher's more admirable traits, was his ability to listen. He keeps his trap shut throughout her retelling of her life story, starting with her school life. School before Hogwarts? It's hard enough surrounded by all of these wizards. I can't imagine... He sympathized with her. Here, he was making such a big deal out of nothing, when he really didn't have it that hard. Not like anyone went out of their way to disclude him-
He hadn't noticed he'd done it, but in the midst of the verbal autobiography, he started to slant toward her. Odd compulsion to have, but it was one of many, regrettably. She has his full attention, and that reflects even in his behaviors. No disgust to be found in that troubled expression of his. "I don't think pain should be compared." He breathes, "Everyone's problems are equally troubling. What really matters, is the way they choose to face their problems and I- I just keep sitting in mine. You should proud you made it this far regardless of what you had to weather." Well-spoken, like a sage. Wisdom was one of the advantages to being put through hell.

Mm, angst. With a helping of fluff.

~Lundell~

Lone Voice  Finished 

"Oh, Asher," Ami said quietly. "You don't understand, do you?" She looked away, the small smile disappearing from her face. "No, I don't think you do." Because he wouldn't. He never would, would he? Truth be told, no one would. He wouldn't understand how good it felt to kill someone who'd hurt her family.

Ah, angst, my old friend. Fluff is good, too. I love fluff.

Oh, it wasn't as bad as it sounded- in a way, it was almost worse. Ami and her mother had flown to America as soon as they received the news, and in the hospital, they intruded upon a strangely tall man talking with Ami's father. He introduced himself as Lucas's (Ami's dad) boss, who yes, admittedly, was the one who suggested Lucas reenlist. He explained that he was just checking up on him. He said his condolences and left the Procoppios to their privacy.

He died that night, tripping over a cat his wife didn't recall letting in. The cat had been Thomas's.

It was a one-time thing. Or so she told herself. She hadn't killed anyone since that day, but she knew some people who'd suffered bad days after they'd hurt her mom, or dad, or Thomas. Those would've been her first signs of magic.

Ami smiled pleasantly, leaning forwards, her chin propped up on her elbows. "Do you know, um... Found Tonight?" she asked hesitantly.

esse quam videri

Lone Voice  Finished 

"I probably don't. But it's worth a shot to try." Shrugging his thin shoulders, he averts his attention. Military and violence in general, were never a fleeting thought for him. His father died in one of the worst ways possible. But his father was a noble man. He wouldn't have wished ill will on anyone, even if they were the ones that killed him. That is one of the many reasons why Asher works so hard to be a good boy, and to mature into a good man. Just like his father used to be.
"I believe so. Lin-Manuel and Platt, right? A fantastic duet. I don't think I could ever do either of them justice." Claims the diffident youth, side-eyeing the piano past Ami's shoulder. There are still beads of water glistening on the keys, sparkling in the light, just like those eyes of his. Both hold remainders of gloom, but are equally precious. Windows into emotions, previously expressed, and those in the present.
At last, he looks back at her, after checking out the rest of the room. Not because he was disgusted with her -she was more than easy on the eye-, but because he felt like he'd been staring too long. Mainly just him being self-conscious and concerned he made her uneasy.

~Lundell~

Lone Voice  Finished 

Ami scrunched her nose, letting Safety Dance Ami and Anxiety Ami have their debate.

Safety Dance Ami: Oh my GOD yes, yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes I have waited for this moment for, literally, forever, you are NOT ruining this for me!

Anxiety Ami: Well, I guess I'm going to have to be the b**** here because she is NOT singing. No. Nope. No way. Never again. God, Ami, you sound awful- just stick to singing in the shower.

SDA: Well I think she sounds awesome, and so does Asher. She should totally do it!

AA: Ha ha, nope. Not happening. Ami? AMI? AMI?! What the HELL are you doing? Sit down, you dumb, stupid girl!

Ami had slowly began to rise, and immediately sat back down.

AA: There's a good girl. We're just going to sit in companionable silence and pray to GOD you don't screw this up, okay?

"Oh, Sweet Jesus," Ami mumbled under her breath, tugging on her hair. 《OC: loOK, I HAVE NOT BEEN SHY, I AM JUST A GUY-》 "We may not yet have reached our glory, but I will gladly join the fight. And when our children tell our story... they'll tell the story of tonight." Ami stood up, walking and standing to face the window (artistically, not out of rudeness), as if she were in a dramatic music video. "They'll tell the story of tonight... tonight..."

esse quam videri

Lone Voice  Finished 

Her fight with herself wasn't unnoticed. There was obviously a problem here, but he didn't ask her. This was her choice, and he shouldn't influence that. Be that as it may, he tries to instill some confidence into her, siding with Safety Ami -even though he couldn't hear her-. "You'll be fine, I'm sure. I like your voice."
"Have you ever felt like nobody was there?" She exits to the window, and he can't resist beaming at her overly dramatic display momentarily. Two could play at this game. He switches into his 'stage persona', face contorting solemnly, his head tipping down. "Have you ever felt forgotten in the middle of nowhere? Have you ever felt like you could disappear, like you could fall, and no one would hear...?"
It's a repeat of something he sang earlier, as Evan. And it's a fond memory, no matter how recent. He'd probably always remember it as being the first time in his life that he's ever felt like he truly belonged. He knew already, that the feeling wasn't mutual, but it was dear to him. He'd like to live in this time, be blissful, wanted, forever. It was a nice change from what he was accustomed to.

~Lundell~

Lone Voice  Finished 

"Well." Ami turned back towards Asher, tilted her head forlornly, nearly bursting into laughter at his meek and docile expression. "Let that lonely feeling wash away... 'Cause maybe there's a reason to believe-" Ami walked back over to Asher, covering the distance in seconds. She paused in front of him, grasping his shoulder with one hand and lifting his chin with her other hand so she was staring into his eyes dramatically. "You'll be okay." She tried to make her eyes wide and innocent, although Anxiety Ami had entered into an impromptu staring contest with Asher. 

Ami looked down dramatically, dropped the hand cupping Asher's chin and over-dramatically taking Asher's hand in hers, singing in a husky voice (that normally wasn't found on eleven year old girls), "'Cause when you don't feel strong enough to stand... you can reach, reach out your hand." Desperately trying not to die of laughter, she intertwined their fingers, slowly (and waaay too dramatically) bringing their hands up. They were now standing face to face, Ami's hand still on his shoulder, their hands clasped, looking for all the world like they were about to start ballroom dancing.

"And oh..." Ami sang softly, dropping her hands suddenly, stepping backward, so Asher could his heart out.

Reducio
And the award for most dramatic MV of the year, the fluffiest RP of the month, and the most realistically accurate RP goes to....

esse quam videri
  Back