Rehearsal Room

Register
Sign in
  Back

The Selectively Mute Girl  Open   Finished 

Marissa walked into the empty Rehearsal Room. She walked to the other side of the room, which was farthest from the door. Her fear of being overheard or found was high, she was not confident in talking to anyone, let alone singing in front of anyone. Being selectively mute was the main problem. She came to the Rehearsal room to sing on her own, so no one would hear her. She quietly glanced at the door, nobody was there. She closed her eyes and inhaled. She began to sing Cry Me A River.

Now you say you're lonely
You cried the long night through
Well, you can cry me a river, cry me a river
I cried a river over you
Now you say you're sorry
For being so untrue
Well, you can cry me a river, cry me a river
I cried, cried, cried a river over you

She began to sing the chorus.

You drove me, nearly drove me, out of my head
While you never shed a tear
Remember, I remember, all that you said
You told me love was too plebeian
Told me you were through with me and...

She finished the beginning of the chorus, finally having fun on her own and allowing herself to be free.

M. North

It was yet another weary afternoon in Anatole's mind. Having worn his coat everywhere for some strange reason even Anatole didn't know, he was hot, almost dying of heat stroke. The carefully windowed walls didn't seem to be kind and help his current predicament either.

One might ask, what was he looking for? At first, his main task was to find a cooling room, with air circulating in roundabout waves, whisking in his hair like a dog who stuck his head out the window of a moving vehicle. Second, he was on the second floor, hoping there was someone in the Ballroom. Since he had so much fun with Rosie, and had written to Patricia about it exuberantly, he thought it would be nice to maybe teach someone else how to waltz.

As he strolled through the fourth floor, a voice called to him. No, not someone shouting his name, but a gorgeous serenade from inside. Since there were heavy curtains over the windows, Anatole could not see who it was unless he opened the door and went inside.

The song she sang, a capella, reminded him of the documentaries. So soft, so sweet, so oddly passionate. Quietly, he slumped against the wall right near the door, listening to this marvelous voice and almost humming along, since Anatole was indeed an atrocious singer himself.

"Dancing with fine women and ruling equally fine castles."
The Lord of Advanced Summoning, Anatole Evans
STA:14 AGI:7 STR:4 CTRL:5

Again, Rosie was wandering. Today she was lost in her thoughts, as she traveled around the non-restricted parts of her new school. A blank expression was plastered onto her face as she stared down at the floor as she walked. One foot over the other, across the cold floor.

Her brown hair followed her as her soft green eyes gazed over the floor, she was so spaced out. Rosie felt like a cloud, just wandering along. Little did she know, she was approaching the Rehearsal Room. She hadn't even taken notice of the girl singing yet. She was too lost in her own thoughts.

What was Rosie thinking about, you may ask?

Home.

As much as Rosie didn't wanna admit it, she already missed home. She missed her tiny house at the end of her street, the smell of her grandma's cookies that she sometimes made to surprise Rosie after a bad day. Rosie missed her grandma so much, who had died a little bit before Rosie got her letter for hogwarts. She missed her parents, even though she was still a little upset with them for not being there when she needed it, Rosie knew they tried. And she left with a negative opinion of them.

What Rosie didn't realize, was that she walked right against a wall in the Rehearsal Room, snapping out of her daze. She rubbed her forehead and looked around at her surroundings a bit, she poked her head into the room, squinting. What she didn't realize was that her eyes were a bit watery. Huh, she wondered why. Rosie wiped her eyes and stood at the door frame.

Marissa continued to sing the rest of the song, not noticing if anyone was nearby. She had her eyes closed and was facing the wall, spinning around at times.

And now you say you love me
Well, just to prove that you do
Why don't you cry me a river, cry me a river?
'Cause I cried a river over you, over you

You say you love me but you lie

Now you say you love me
Well, just to prove that you do
Come on and cry me a river, oh, cry me a river
I cried a river over you

I cried a river over you

I cried a river
Now you can too
Cry me a river
Cry me a river~

Marissa finally finished her song, taking a deep breath. Mari did her signature giggle and spun around. She had not been able to sing like that for a while, as there were a lot of people around the school and Mari did not really know her way around. She happy that she found this room, empty and secluded so it was almost impossible for someone to stumble upon her. She kept her eyes closed and smiled to herself, it had been a while since she enjoyed herself like that.

M. North

Rosie finally perked up to the girl singing, recognizing her as Marissa, Clary's sister. She remembered Clary's words about getting to know her, and helping her around. And Rosie was still determined to do that! Just... It'd be a little hard, since Rosie was now hiding to make sure Marissa didn't see her there silently listening.

After a moment, Rosie walked into the Rehearsal Hall like she just got there, she put on her regular grin and skipped onto the wooden floor, basically bouncing along. "Good afternoon!" She called, spinning around on one foot. She finally landed on her two feet and faced Marissa, a bright reassuring grin on her face. She once again shoved her hands into her robe pockets and shifted from foot to foot, it's like she hadn't been on the verge of crying just moments before from her homesickness. Her mood changed it what seemed like a flash, and Rosie barely even noticed it. Besides, there was no time for crying! That would only slow her down in the process, and Rosie couldn't afford that. She could not be held back. That was being weak! And Rosie! Was not weak!

At least, that's what she told herself. But she hadn't met herself in a few years, but the future was far away.

Anatole kept swaying to the tune of the song, humming and occasionally trying to beatbox along to "Cry Me a River". It didn't get too far. Anatole thought it didn't sound half bad juxtaposed to this stunning voice, and part of him wondered if the girl inside could hear his beatboxing. He didn't care if she thought it sounded good or not.

The Gryffindor, sitting down beside the door, looked up, hearing Rosie's light breaths. Immediately, he stopped beatboxing for fear of getting judged. That would be pretty awkward. Next, he called out to her. "Hey again, Rosie!"

Apparently, Anatole stopped with his backbeat at the right moment. The powerful, fierce last note hit with such a tension, Anatole couldn't help but smile. He didn't notice Rosie had already entered the room. Inside, the mysterious voice had ceased with an inaudible giggle. It sounded oddly familiar, but his small brain couldn't pick it out.

Of course, Rosie seemed fond of the mysterious girl, piping in with an exuberant "Good afternoon!" Huh. It made no sense. It was familiar, but he still didn't know. Rosie was cheery around everyone.

Reluctantly, Anatole gripped the doorknob, opening it to just find Marissa and Rosie. Almost instantly, he was confused. Rosie just entered and Marissa, well, Marissa didn't speak. "Hey, uh, guys, do you know if there was anyone else in here?"

Aubren had one thought on her mind, and one thought only, the library. She had a book clutched tightly to her chest as she sped-walked her way down the hall, her footsteps echoing lightly off the walls. Her hair flew behind her like a flag in the wind by how fast she was going, and she clearly had no intention of stopping.

That was, until she heard singing.

She's passed the Rehearsal Room many times before, but this singing caught her off guard. The sweet tone made her slow down to a complete stop before making the turn of the corner to pass the room. The song...she recognized it from somewhere...
Silently, Aubren peered around the corner to look down the rest of the hall, she wanted to desperately see who the singer to the melody was, but instead saw a boy sitting outside of the door, talking to a girl. She froze, easing herself back a little so she didn't stand out as much as she had just then, hoping they had not seen her.

Aubren waited a few moments to peer around again, noticing that the students were gone, she stepped out again, believing they went off. Silently, and this time more slowly, Aubren walked down the hall and towards where the room was. Her curiosity still sparking with flames of interest, wanting to know more of what she had just heard.

ѕнe вlooмѕ wιtн ɢrαce ιɴ lιfe'ѕ ɢαrdeɴ
~A.A, Gryffindor

Marissa flinched instantly, not realising that either Rosie or Anatole were there. Her cheeks instantly went red in embarrassment, she did not realise that she had company, let alone that anybody was nearby.

She coughed awkwardly, rubbing the back of her neck as she looked between the two. Mari was not sure if they knew if it was her who was singing. She hoped not, that would be totally embarrassing. If they find out it was you, they will tell everyone else. Was I bad? Oh god I was I that bad? I should have been more careful.

Marissa walked over to where she dumped her cloak and backpack. She was wearing a black skirt, white top with a black jumper over the top with a hufflepuff tie. She put her Hufflepuff cloak beside her back, making sure it was neat and tidy. She was slightly panicking that they heard her singing.

Being selectively mute, but when people sneak up on you whilst singing.. that is bad. Marissa was already shy, but was extremely cautious about her singing. She would not even sing in front of her parents, let alone people she just met this week. Mari looked back to Rosie and Anatole with a shy smile, trying to act casual.

M. North

Anatole approached the two, looking both ways to see if there might have been another girl with heavenly pipes, since his small mind had already ruled out the two options in the room. Once he had gotten face to face with them, he repeated his question. "No, seriously. Was there anyone else in the room?" He raised an eyebrow, looking at the two. "I'm not kidding, you should have heard that voice. I can't even describe it a lot, you know? One of those things you wish you could touch but kinda can't." He sighed, his eyes finally moving toward Marissa, her face flushed crimson. Oddly, Anatole didn't specifically notice she was nervous. He was unable to make the connection that Marissa singing was actually plausible. "Hey, you okay?" He looked at Marissa sympathetically.

Inside his mind, however, Anatole was curious if they heard him as well. His weird riffs and spit drenching his lips as he tried to make an instrumental with his mouth. Anatole was one of those who was inspired to do something, but never got around to do it. Because of the documentaries, Anatole wanted to pick up piano, maybe even organ. When he tried to teach himself, he didn't think it went well. Now he was regretting it, knowing that he could have accompanied the mystery girl on the piano. They would have made a fun duet.

Hiding his insecurity, he just looked back at the girls, waiting for an answer on where the mysterious voice might have escaped to.

Rosie spun around on her foot, her arms spread out and humming. "Nah, I don't think so. It was just Marissa here when I found her. Your voice is super pretty! I love it." She praised. Rosie was getting dizzy and tumbled over her feet. "Woo, uh, I'm good." She stood up straight and faced the two. "But yeah, that was good! Sorry for intruding, I've been wandering around and I ended up here." Rosie put her hands into her pockets.

She smiled nervously at Marissa, the fear of scaring her off came back. Rosie wasn't trying to scare anyone, or in general have negative interactions. It'd just hurt her. Besides, it's not like Rosie wasn't trying anyway, so even if she did end up having a negative conversation, at the very least, she tried, right? There was that satisifaction to keep in mind but it's also not like Rosie aimed for bad interactions because of that, she aimed for good ones! And friends, and such. It worked with Anatole, and Clary, and Evan, why not Marissa?

Well, Marissa was different.

Marissa was shy, quiet. In the commons of her Hufflepuff house she was never seen laughing and running around, just quiet. Maybe it was because she was uncomfortable, and Rosie didn't want that.
Last edited by Rosie Parker on 2nd April 2018, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

As she got closer, Aubren heard voices, the voices of the students whom she thought had left. Yet now, Aubren didn't bother to run off and hide. Besides, it could be a good chance for her to try and make new friends, something her parents would both be equally proud of. At the door, Aubren stopped and looked at the people inside. Two girls and a boy, the energetic looking girl and the boy were the only two she recognized from seeing them, while the other girl that stood there remained unfamiliar. In the back of her mind, she desperately hoped she wasn't intruding upon them in a bad way.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, I couldn't help but see who the voice belonged to myself."
Aubren said, a warm smile on her face. Deep down, she was extremely nervous, meeting new people and communicating was never hard for her, but now? As she tried to make friends? It was difficult, impossible even.

"I'm Aubren, Aubren Anson. You must be the singer to those lovely chords."
Aubren directed her smile and words to the nervous looking girl, the strong British in her voice making the words even more gentle. Her mind raced with anxiety, hoping that this was the right thing to do.

~A.A, Gryffindor

Marissa went bright red as Aubren entered the room. Another person? How loud was I singing? Gods I hope no one else shows up. She continued to look anxious, playing with her yellow tie nervously. Now there were three people wondering who was singing. But Aubren just blew out her secret, great.

Mari sighed and nodded to Aubren, confirming that was she who was singing. She felt extremely nervous this time, people knowing she could sing was not high on her priority list. Panicking to try and act calm, Marissa sat down on the floor and crossed her legs. She played nervously with her back pack on her lap, trying to calm down her nervous.

She quietly hummed to herself, trying to stay calm and not freak out. They were not meant to hear or know about her singing, it was meant to be a private moment for herself. Rocking side to side, she nervously glanced up to the three who were looking towards her. Why are they all looking at me like that? I hate it when people stare me. Why am I so naive thinking that nobody would hear me sing? She shook her head, trying to get the thoughts away.

M. North

Anatole raised a skeptical eyebrow at Rosie. "Just checking... you sure there was no one else?" Marissa was embarrassed, still nervous. He was wondering why Marissa hadn't fiddled with her buttons yet. It was one of the few things Anatole ever picked up on. After a bit of silence, and definitely a glare from others, he sighed, remarking, "Alright, alright, I believe you! I was just joking."

Marissa instantly sat down, trying to gain some stress relief. "I was just about to say that I absolutely love your voice." Anatole looked down at her with a look of sincerety. "I'm not kidding. Your rendition was gorgeous."

Anatole heard the door silently shut as another person entered. She was certainly a Gryffindor, entering with a statement almost characteristic, he supposed. After all, he had said the phrase many times himself. Finding the new girl nicer than he thought, Anatole tipped an imaginary hat at her. She was gentle, a nice contrast to Rosie. Not that it made their friendship any less valuable.

Deciding not to take the spotlight off of Marissa (he hoped she would be able to withstand it like a steel frame of a building), he just inched close to Aubren, introducing himself. "Anatole. My pleasure."

Aubren's smile had left her for the time being until the boy introduced himself, causing it to return to her once again. It was a brilliant smile, none the less, one that reminded her father of her mother each time it popped out. The boy's gesture of an imaginary hat caused a laugh from the girl, a laugh equally warm to her smile.

"Nice to meet you, Anatole" She said, looking at him for a few moments before turning her attention back to the singer.

She seemed to notice how shy and nervous Marissa was acting, something she had gotten used to noticing from her timid cousin. Aubren frowned slighlty at that, having the girl uncomfortable for using such a glorious talent confused her. Then again, the girl was clearly shy, and she understood.

"I thought it was wonderful. There's nothing to be worried about, especially with a talent like that." Aubren said to the girl, although she found it ironic how she was stating there was nothing to be worried about as she fret over making friends with these students. Her anxiety showed a little, as her arms seemed to tighten around the book she held so dear to her chest.

~A.A, Gryffindor

Rosie started to feel bad when Marissa sat back don, her smile wavering a bit. She slowly made her way over and quietly sat down next to her. "Sorry," she whispered. "But they are right you know, your voice is super pretty." She said. Rosie wasn't right NEXT to Marissa, she kept her distance a bit, giving Marissa space to... Breathe. Rosie glanced up at the two other people and managed a nervous smile, that wasn't usual for Rosie. This was because Rosie didn't know how to handle situations like this. Usually, the person talked back, but Marissa was different.

Rosie stared at her hands and waited for Marissa to say something, or send some kinda sign. Since... She didn't usually speak at all. They were complete opposites, Rosie knew that. She was a talkative, bubbly, selfless little girl who didn't usually realize when enough was enough when it came to speaking. But Marissa helped her realize that moment. The moment you take to breathe and listen. Rosie knew to stop talking but she never knew the signs to stop talking other than her own insecurities or the other person beginning to speak. Huh, Rosie was learning new things today.
  Back