Quidditch Training Pitch

Register
Sign in

When Life Gives You Lemons...  OPEN 

Twenty pounds of lemons. That was what Koko would drag out to the Quidditch Training Pitch, desperately wanting to do something with them. She'd brought some sugar and water if someone would want to make lemonade, but... She also had her knife, just in case someone tried to attack her. Then she could squeeze lemon juice in their eyes.

Koko dropped the basket, a bead of sweat running down her face. "Well. That's over with." She then began to spread out the picnic that she had brought along with her, and she then placed a few lemons on the blanket. She wasn't going to have a picnic; she was going to analyse. See what others would do. Her wand was in the pocket of her Slytherin robes. Her hair was tied back into a high ponytail by a green ribbon. Koko stood, facing the direction of the wind, and she looked at the castle. It was still very hard to believe that she lived in a supersized castle all the way in Scotland... Which also reminded her that Scotland would be even farther away by her second year.

Swallowing a lump in her throat, Koko worked with her thumbnails to peel a lemon. She then squeezed a drop of the juice onto her tongue, and then she sat down on the picnic blanket. She reached into the picnic basket and produced a biscuit. Taking a bite, she realised just how hungry she had been. She ate the entire lemon before finishing the biscuit, and truth be told, the lemon wasn't half bad. It was not as sour as most lemons; perhaps it was mutated... She took another bite of the biscuit and leaned back until she was lying on the grass before she swallowed.

@Koko Riddle
The day had been tiring for Asher, with lessons and everything, and now it was finally over. He could take a break. Admittedly, it was tiring both emotionally and physically to try to get a charm or potion to work when all the 'pure blooded' students around him seemed to succeed on first try. Now wasn't exactly the time where he'd go to the Library or Ravenclaw Common Room- they were too crowded for his liking, and he wasn't really in the mood to interact with too many people right now.

That said, silence wasn't too great either. He sighed. I guess I'll just have to settle.

His eyes roamed the empty Quidditch Training Pitch. Good. He didn't mind the dirt, he just wanted an open place to study. Despite his intentions, his parents might have yelled at him for his current state. Hair messy, button down un-tucked, his bedside in the dorms stacked with random books that were all half done. They were only going easy on him for now because of the whole "Magic is really a real thing?" phase they were still stuck in.

His train of thought was cut off as he spotted a girl sitting down on picnic blanket alone. And- was she eating a lemon? His blue eyes narrowed slightly in confusion and he decided to ask her.

"Um.. are you eating lemons?" He masked the slight amusement in his voice easily, and he was genuinely curious after all. The bag filled with lemons beside her answered his own question easily. "I mean, you obviously are, but... why?" He didn't mean any offense by it, and if anything, he wanted to know if it was something he should try. Besides, watching someone else eat made him realize just how hungry he was.

★ we'll be counting stars ★

It was a cool and airy morning, the kind that invited spending time outdoors. The sun shone down upon the fields of the Quidditch Pitch, alight with the brightness of spring, and the slight breeze rippled the grass in calming silvery waves. Isaac had heard of Quidditch. It was the wizard-equivalent to sports like football or rugby, yet played in the air with brooms and magic and unfamiliar rules. He knew that most first-years wouldn't think of joining the team; being so new to the school meant that you lacked skill and experience, but he could dream.

After a particularly stuffy day indoors, he found that he missed sports and the outside. There was nothing that could compare to the exhilaration of running as fast as the wind, chasing that next goal and scoring for your team. Clips from movies flashed in his mind, of the athlete, happily carried by their teammates, celebrated and cheered on and glowing with pride. Staring out the window during a droning History of Magic Lesson, he knew he couldn't wait any longer.

The second that class was out, he raced down the stairs, bolting out of the door of the castle. With sure steps, he made his way out onto the field, peeling off his socks to walk barefoot on the grass. It was big. The grass seemed to be as large as an entire ocean, and the stands soared up like mountains around his head. Surprised, he blinked, spotting movement from the corner of his eye.

A girl next to a basket was sitting on the pitch, a picnic blanket spread out beneath her. Another boy had apparently spotted her as well, and from his amused expression, was either making a joke or asking a question. Curiously, Isaac treaded closer to the pair, taking care to mind any sharp stones in his path.

Soon, words came into earshot.

"Um.. are you eating lemons?"
Isaac's gaze was drawn to the basket, and indeed, there were lemons inside. Who brought lemons to a Quidditch pitch anyway?

~standing in the eye of a storm~
strength: 6 | agility: 10 | control: 4 | stamina: 10

What a few weeks it had been. Face stuck in school textbooks, hand sore from writing homework assignments, Hengist needed a change of pace. Feeling slightly homesick, he decided that a walk by the lake for some humid air would feel nice. It wouldn't quite be the same as smelling the sea air, but beggars can't be choosers. So he grabbed a couple of books he actually wanted to read and started down to the lake.

He got halfway there when a sudden whimsy changed his mind. He had realized that in all of first year and so far in second, he had not once been to the Quidditch Pitch. Never having much interest in sports, it didn't really dawn on Hengist until this brisk walk that he should at least see it sometime. Besides, there would probably be some benches to sit on; he didn't bring anything to cover the ground when he sat.

When he was getting close, he spied a small group of students. Two boys and a girl, and first years by the look of them. One of the boys he thinks he saw once or twice in the Ravenclaw common room. The other two he didn't recognize at all. The girl was sitting on a blanket, looking to be having a picnic. The thing was it looked like the only thing she brought were lemons. And lots of them, by the look of it. Now that Hengist was getting closer, the two boys were just as confused as he was. As he approached the group, the Ravenclaw boy was asking the girl if she was eating lemons and why. His curiosity getting the better of him, Hengist decided that his books can wait. He needed an answer.

Heroes don't exist and even if they did, I wouldn't be one.
Hengist Warbeck

"Um.. are you eating lemons?"
Her head snapped up. She smiled at the boy as he asked her why. "Lemons aren't as bad as one might think," she said, not really defining what she meant by "bad". Perhaps she would mean the sourness of the fruit, or perhaps she would mean the apparent lack of sweetness. Honestly, it was neither; it was just a twelve-year-old trying to rid a Ravenclaw of bias.

Koko stood up from the picnic blanket, dusting off her robes as she did so. Two other boys had joined the mess, a first year Gryffindor and a second year Ravenclaw, it seemed. Koko tried not to grimace; the last time she'd interacted with a second year Ravenclaw had not been a good one. It had resulted in a visit from the Headmaster, but thankfully no detention. She looked the first year Ravenclaw in the eye, trying to figure out his motive for walking up on her like that.

"Are you judging me?"

The question was utterly random, manifesting out of nowhere. It had popped out of the Slytherin's mouth, and to be honest, she seemed very defensive. It should have been taken as a warning--back off!--but she wasn't sure how the others would take it.

"What are your names?" she asked carefully. Don't put too much emotion in the words, she told herself. Don't do it. Otherwise, they'll know you're worried.

But she wasn't worried, not in the slightest. She had lemon juice to squeeze in the eyes of anyone who tried to bother her! Koko finally drew away from the defense that she had put up, and she began to look somewhat less dangerous. She was still going to hold a lemon in her hand, though; she didn't want to be caught off guard.
Reducio
OC: Sorry about how late this is!! I wrote up a draft, completely forgot, and then I almost finished the post, had to go, and forgot to hit save... Oops...

@Koko Riddle
"The name's Isaac." he introduced with a smile as if he hadn't noticed her defensive tone. "I'm not judging, just saying, I don't think you can eat a whole basket of lemons. They're okay, but not that good." He made a face at the thought of eating so many bitter fruits. How this girl could stomach a single lemon was beyond him. Her talent was honestly impressive.

But something strange was still afoot. Why on earth had she decided to eat them out on the Quidditch Pitch when the Lake was much more ideal for it? He loved Quidditch, but even he couldn't deny that the Lake had unbeatable views. There was nothing like watching the sun shine over the water, and sitting beneath a swaying tree, feeling the breeze. In comparison, the pitch was built for flying and heights, leaving uninteresting grass below.

Maybe she was a part of the Slytherin Quidditch team, having a snack. It wasn't unheard of for tired fliers to sit down and eat something before a big match. Lemons was an odd choice, but they could have good qualities that he didn't know anything of. Curiously, he asked, "Are you here for Quidditch practice?"

@Isaac Ambrose

Koko couldn't help but laugh at the face the boy made. Maybe it wasn't so bad to be so unwound...

But no, no, no, she couldn't be. It was hard enough to not yell at everyone for whatever they might say, and she also had to try and say the right thing. So maybe she could just be quiet? But she didn't want to be, not anymore.

"Are you here for Quidditch practice?"

Oh. Right. That. Well, she had come out here because she was bored, but also because she now had a reason to be out here. "Sure?" she said. And then, "Would you mind flying around with me? It gets terribly boring."

She, without waiting for a response, made her way over to where a few brooms were laying. "Up!" she commanded forcefully. The broom flew into her open hand, making Koko feel satisfied. She held it somewhat awkwardly, only because now the broom was trying to lift her up into the air. She had to have control.

Koko gritted her teeth as she forced the broom to stay still. "I'm willing to fly a few rounds. It might be fun," she said, this time level headed. The boy--Isaac, she remembered, hadn't seemed too rude. Perhaps she could loosen her defense for now. She didn't mount the broom, not yet, but she would hold it by her side as if it were a walking stick held a few inches off the ground. A smile crossed her face as she thought about the aspect of flying with someone--it might actually prepare the Beater for the upcoming game against Ravenclaw.

Hengist stayed back, listening to the conversation. His presence was probably seen as odd or invasive, but his curiosity was overriding all of his small amount of social prowess. The question the first year Ravenclaw was avoided by the girl eating the lemons. Hengist was about to repeat the question in a different way, but before he could ask, the girl stood up and asked
"Are you judging me?"
The way she said it was as if to say 'I don't want to talk about it.' Then she asked their names.

Hengist knew a lost cause when he saw one. Still, he couldn't walk away just yet. Maybe one of the other boys would be a bit more pushy than he was. Sure enough, the other boy, a first year Gryffindor, responded with
"The name's Isaac. I'm not judging, just saying, I don't think you can eat a whole basket of lemons. They're okay, but not that good."
Not quite how Hengist would've worded it, but maybe he'll get his answer without having to ask himself. Unfortunately, that was not the case, as the boy then asked the girl about Quidditch practice. She responded with a
"Sure? Would you mind flying around with me? It gets terribly boring."
Well, it appeared as though he would not get the answer he was wanting. At this point, Hengist decided that he would continue on to his original destination; the lake. It would seem that this girl was a Quidditch player, as was Hengist, and he figured that he shouldn't fly against her as that could be seen as cheating. Besides, last time he flew out of the context of flying class, it ended the exact opposite way that he wanted it to. Best not to both endanger the upcoming match with Slytherin or make another fool of himself.

Reducio
Sorry for not really interacting, but Hengist is quite shy around groups. Also, that last reason stated.

Heroes don't exist and even if they did, I wouldn't be one.
Hengist Warbeck

@Hengist Warbeck@Koko Riddle
"Sure? Would you mind flying around with me? It gets terribly boring."
"I could use the practice," he admitted. Holding out his hand towards the brooms, he summoned one with a quick cry of "Up!"

It flew into his hand swiftly. From the feel of the wood, this broom felt heavier than the ones he was used to. It was carved with many initials and pockmarked. For a moment, he liked to imagine that the broom was a lucky one - perhaps used by the best Quidditch players over the ages, or at least well loved. Throwing his head back and jauntily whistling, he swung onto it, and the broom hovered in the air, a breeze ruffling his hair. He rolled up the sleeves of his uniform before gripping the broom more securely.

Kicking against the ground to rise higher, Isaac rose until he could see a wider view of the Quidditch Pitch below - still not very far off from the ground. It was then he spotted another boy, with dark hair and light eyes, simply standing and watching. He met the boy's gaze with curious interest. From his silence so far, Isaac concluded two things. Either the Ravenclaw was shy, or he was the type who liked to observe people without saying anything.

"Are you a Quidditch player too? It's fine if you want to join the race."

@Hengist Warbeck @Isaac Ambrose
"That's fine," said Koko, hopefully not too dismissively. She mounted the broom and motioned vaguely to Isaac. "When should we start? Where should we start?"

Koko kicked off and flew in a small circle, testing the weight and bearing of the broom. It wasn't like the one she usually chose in Flying Class, but she could deal. "I'm ready whenever you are." She shot a smile, hopefully a winning one, at the other children. She wasn't used to acting so trusting; she usually was a paranoid little bean who was always ready to lash out, was always on her toes.

Except now she was on a broom, in the air, and no longer on her feet.

She was ready to fly away from these insecurities that plagued her, ready to start a new career as a Quidditch player, and as a confident one, too. Confidence was key to making new friendships, and Koko needed a few friends. She had more enemies than she did friends, and that was certainly a bad thing. Less people to help her against those determined to bring her down.

While Koko knew that determination was a good thing, she disliked it when others had great amounts of it. Still, they couldn't use their determination without ambition, and ambition was something that this snake had a lot of. Still, she didn't always have enough time to use it wisely. She circled the others while still on her broom, a smile still on her face, and for once, her eyes reflected it. "Care to join me?" she asked.

@Koko Riddle | @Hengist Warbeck
Isaac measured the distance between his pointer finger and thumb, holding his hand up in front of his face. An even distance would be perfect for a race. Although he loved the thrill of quick dashes, there was something so much better about complicated acrobatics and near misses. Koko was already shaping up to be a complex opponent. He could tell from the practiced way that she got onto her broom. She flashed a smile at him and the Ravenclaw boy on the ground, but it looked a little high-strung and tense.

Then, he gazed at the pitch again, this time, in judgement. The long oval shaped field was good for dashing, and the goalposts would be for testing accuracy while turning. A little part of him had a bad feeling, as he was absolute garbage at turns, but he figured that he'd just make up for it in the speed portion.

"We start at that set of goalposts," he waved his arm to the left, indicating the staggered baskets at the end, "fly up the field, then take three turns around that set of posts," he then pointed to the posts to the right. "After that, whoever can get back to where we started first, wins."

Simple, effective, and a challenge. His heart was already racing in excitement, making it almost difficult to hold onto the handle of his broom. If Koko agreed, then it would only be a few moments until the two of them were off flying.

He realized the presence of the third boy on the ground again, and inwardly wondered if he wanted to join or not, for the third time. Another bloke in the race would make it even more unpredictable, and his eyes might've been deceiving him, but he felt as if the boy would be another good Quidditch player. Why else was he on the pitch?

"Oi, you down there. You sure you want to sit out on this one?"

Hm, Koko thought. Flying from there to there would be fun... And it would certainly pose as a challenge. "Sure, that works," Koko said, awkwardly dismissing Isaac's speech to the other boy. She kept herself straddled on the broom, still testing its weight, and soon she found that she was ready to fly. "J-just tell me when you're ready!" Koko yelled back down, not so confidently. She didn't know how she would do in a race, so she supposed it wouldn't be too hard.

She would wait until and if the Ravenclaw replied to Isaac, and in the waiting time she would swerve around in the air, still trying to get a feel for the broom. It was weighted awkwardly in her hands, but she would easily be able to deal with it - right?

Koko certainly hoped so. That would make life so much easier for her. It would be like someone holding an ugly neon orange sign in front of her that read 'Don't fall to your death!' Still, though, Koko thought she was a good opponent for this broom. The kid? Not so much. An awkward Slytherin would be no match for a Gryffindor who was seemingly able to use math correctly. Koko hated math. It was almost pointless. She could see the point in it, but the twelve-year-old heavily disliked it. Oh well... Maybe she would use it one day.
Reducio
So... Sorry about the lateness. I'm on vacation in Florida and I'm trying to get 2 RP responses done per day. It's a little daunting, but I'm managing. I do have a question, though: Would the situation of them flying be counted as a moderated situation? We might want to ask a staff member about that... Please get back to me.

Elizabeth ran out onto the quidditch pitch looking for her friends. She was sobbing and she had just been beat up by a couple of slytherin boys who hated her. "That's the second time this year." She whispered out loud. She had twisted her ankle when they forced her inside the classroom before they started punching and yelling at her for telling her friends in the library. She was dizzy, thirsty, and tired. She wandered around and she noticed she was being followed by one of the slytherin boys. She turned around and tried to run but her ankle hurt to much. She felt a hand grab her arm and pull her behind a bush. "Stop limping or you will drag more attention to yourself. Also if I see you telling anyone what happened then I will report you to our leader and he might not have mercy on you next time." He laughed wickedly and pushed Elizabeth into the bush. He walked away watching at a close distance. Elizabeth got up and noticed that the fall gave her some deep scratches. She noticed a stand with a girl sitting there socializing with other people. She seemed to be making lemonade. Elizabeth did her best to slowly walk with no limp but it caused her to much pain. She collapsed but immediately got back up and tried to make her way over for a drink. Then the girl got up and rode on a broom with some of the other kids. Elizabeth fell down again closer to the stand and couldn't stand back up. She started crying with pain and anger. She looked over at the Slytherin boy who was still watching and he gave her a disapproving glare before he walked away smiling. "Oh no." Elizabeth thought. "He is going to tell the leader." Elizabeth didn't have the strength to get up and walk back to her dorm so she sat there crying.

Evangeline Smith

<3
Koko was still trying to get the broom to obey her commands when she saw something... suspicious. A boy had shoved a girl into a bush... a Slytherin boy. Koko managed to dive down towards the ground - sort of - and she then proceeded to almost faceplant on the ground before tumbling off of the idiot broom. ”Damn stick,” the girl muttered as she dusted off her robes, still eyeing Isaac and Hengist. ”I’ll be right back. Need to check on something.” She glared at her housemate.

The blonde’s hair swung as she walked, her golden eyes fixed on the Slytherin boy leaving. ”Hey!” Koko yelled. ”Get back here, you bastard!” She still gripped the broom, which was trying to wrestle its way out of her grasp. The statement may have been aimed at the boy, but it might have been aimed at her broomstick. She was not entirely sure. Either way, she knew she was now pissed off.

”Kid,” Koko said to the redhead. ”Why the hell are you crying? Blimey, just get up there and tell him the heck off!” At least her advice didn’t involve bashing someone’s head in. The girl should have been thankful that Koko was at least going to help a little.

Erin strolled into the Training Pitch, whistling to herself as she noticed Koko [whom she knew from eavesdropping] telling some Gryffindor kid to scream at a Slytherin boy. Normally Slytherins would stand up for each other, but this was particularly odd. Coming in closer, she straightened her overalls before throwing herself into the conversation,

'Oi. How come your crying?'

She wasn't trying to come of as rude, it was just her natural tone. She scanned the girl's face frowning at the her tear streaked face. She awkwardly straightened out her baggy overalls and gently picked the girl up out of the bush, Erin immediately noticed the girl's swollen ankle.

'That's a nasty sprain.'

For the first time in a while she looked at Koko hoping she knew how to handle this situation, her eyes widened at the purple-red ankle that seemed to be getting larger with every passing second. Erin pulled off her thin jacket and sloppily wrapped it around the girl's nasty looking ankle, hopping that would do something. She mumbled out a question to the girl, watching her like you'd watch an injured animal,

'Who did this? Was it a bully or an abusive relationship?'

She silently prayed to a force out there that it wasn't the latter, and it was just some rude student. A relationship that led to things that that ankle where just depressing and quite frankly hard to understand why someone stayed.

Dreams are indeed ambition, for the very substance of the ambitious is merely a shadow of a dream - Shakespeare