Quidditch Training Pitch

Register
Sign in
  Back

Just... Flying Around?  Finished 

Ruka felt the nerves flaring up inside him when it finally became time to actually learn how to ride a broom.
It was a strange sensation, this mix of fear and excitement that only made his adrenaline pump through his veins, making him feel a little light-headed with the urge for adventure.

Who didn't want to be able to fly, afterall?

He took a deep breath before swinging his leg over his broom the way he had watched Donny doing it, both hands firmly clasped around the shaft as he tried to find the most comfortable as well as stable position possible. He tried shuffling back and forth a bit, straightening and bending his back until he found the perfect way to ride his broom.
The longer he spent concentrating on how it felt to be on the broom, the more excited he became for actually getting into the air, so when Donny finally asked him if he was ready, he gasped out a Yes! and nodded his head, grinning excitedly.
He thought about everything Donny had told him, how he was supposed to hold himself, how he was supposed to hold the broom, and then he finally pushed himself off the ground with enough force to get a few feet into the air, but not so much that he lost control over what he was doing.

The feeling of hovering in the air was extraordinary and empowering in a way he'd never felt before, and he found himself shouting out in glee, leaning a little from side to side to test out the broom's reaction to it. It was a little slow and took some more power than he expected, but it was also a relatively old broom which surely had something to do with it.
"I'm flying!" he said loudly so Donny would hear him, a grin splitting his face as he turned a circle around his new friend, laughing as he did so. "It feels amazing, I feel so free!" He grinned, steadying his grip when he felt himself wobbling a little bit after a particularly sharp curve. "This is great, I can't believe I was scared if this!"

"The Night is Dark and full of Terrors, but the Fire burns them all away"

Slow replies because I am moving abroad

Donny could never be happier! He saw his friend, zooming through the air like he'd done it before. He was ready as Donny had known he'd be and that was all that mattered. Donny kicked off shortly after Ruka had made his exclamation of excitement, and spiraled up in the air like an eagle. He looked at Ruka once more and turned upside down amusingly showing off his skills. He flipped back up in the air and said, "Your flying!" He felt Ruka's happiness as he flew, above the ground with all the grass, swerving once more through the goal posts, and finally landing back in front of Ruka, pacing softly. "Wanna race?" he said and before Ruka could answer, he threw the large stone from earlier behind his back. He motioned at Ruka and dove down at high speed, his hair blowing off his forehead, and his glasses askew. 

He caught the stone before Ruka, and threw it the other way, to the far side of the pitch. He looked at Ruka, laughing slightly as they soared to the stone once more, like skilled birds almost. "Having fun!" he yelled through the thick density of the air passing them as they flew...

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” - Albus percival wulfric brian dumbledore “The ones who love us never really leave us, you
can always find them in here.” - Sirius black
Strength: 6, Agility: 10, Control: 8, Stamina: 6

Ruka beamed, feeling more and more comfortable with steering his broom through the air. He grinned at his new friend and watched him zooming around the posts and through the stands, daringly trying to mimic his movements and cheering for himself whenever he managed.
"This is the best feeling in the world!" he shouted happily and came to a stop when Donny did as well, hovering in front of him. "Yeah, I wanna race!" he agreed immediately, barely even caring anymore what they were doing as long as they didn't have to come back onto the ground. He felt like he was born to soar through the sky, like all the lightfooted performances he'd done on the ground were nothing more than practice for the swift movements on his broom.
He watched, mouth agape, as Donny dove for the rock he'd dropped before he understood what the point of it had been.
He quickly steered his broom to follow Donny, getting himself ready for the next time he threw it again.
This time he was better prepared, aligning himself with the shaft of his broom to get a better speed, but he still wasn't quick enough to catch it before Donny did.
It took a few tries, but finally Ruka got the hang out of how to get the best out of his broom; Finally, he watched Donny throw the rock, eyes following the path it took, and he leaned forward, arm outstretched as he sped up towards where he could see the rock was falling, and he shouted in glee when his fingers wrapped around the hard edges of the stone. "Got it!" he said, drawing a circle around Donny, holding up the rock for him to see. "You're an awesome teacher, this is the best thing I've ever done!"

Donny blushed lightly, even though one couldn't quite see it, he was very happy with himself, and his new friend Ruka. He waved, and shouted, "Good job! Your getting the hang of this every second!" He zoomed towards Ruka, clapping him on the shoulder, and turning back around to face him. They smiled and laughed wildly at each other. Everything was going so fast! He had successfully taught someone how to fly, and the basics of Quidditch all in one day! He had just now realized that the fields were empty. He and Ruka were the only lively ones there, sharing an echoed laugh that bounced from the trees in the forbidden forest. 

"Hey! It's getting close to dawn."  he said, not quite laughing this time. He wouldn't forget this day very easily, he had had the most fun! He motioned slowly and reluctantly to go down to the grounds, but still urging Ruka to have fun on the way down; swooping, and diving for their last time of the day. "I wish you were in Hufflepuff." said Donny, kind of bemused, and tired at the same time. "I just wish I had more friends like you, that I could talk and to have fun with!" he said, almost toppling over himself with silliness. "We can definitely get together and play another time... right?" he asked Ruka, stopping to talk to him in the sunset...

“It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.” - Albus percival wulfric brian dumbledore “The ones who love us never really leave us, you

The laughter coming from the two boys bounced around the air, making it sound at least twice as loud as it actually was. They were the only ones left swooping through the air and racing around each other, barely noticing the way the air got a bit more chilly as the sun started to sink behind the trees.
It was only when Donny pointed out that it was close to dawn, that Ruka started to realise just how much time they had spent on their brooms. He bit his lip reluctantly, not wanting this day to end just yet. He had come out here to read a bit and ended up learning how to fly and making a new friend, and now they would have to go to seperate Common Rooms and get on with school life. "Yeah," he said slowly. "Guess we should get ready to go back in."
He still made the best of the dive down, laughing and cheering as he did a loop around Donny and then one of the goal posts. He stopped a little over the ground, just hovering there, not wanting to get off the broom as he listened to Donny, nodding along solemnly. "Me too," he said with a little smile on his face, thinking how nice it would be if they were in the same House. Donny could have taught him some more Quidditch rules or they could have just joshed around until they got too tired to stay up any longer.
As much as Ruka liked Hogwarts, the fact that they were not allowed to enter each other's Common Rooms was rubbish. "I don't really have any Gryffindor friends yet so... This was really nice. I've been needing a friend for a while." He grinned and finally got his feet back on the ground, getting off his broom with a little sigh before beaming at Donny. "For sure!" he agreed brightly, nodding vehemently. "You still need to teach me how to play Quidditch, I can't wait to play a round." He grinned and shuffled around on his feet a bit, not really knowing where to go from here. "At least I feel pretty ready for my flying lesson now, all thanks to you!"

Donny smiled. He'd never had anyone speak to him so kindly for the past few weeks, and Ruka was really his first friend. "Thanks" he said modestly, looking down at the ground and back up, beaming. The sun was going down rapidly and he had a rather difficult time seeing in the dark as it was. "I'll try and come back after class soon, just owl me... or maybe we could go exploring!" he said, trying to fit as much in as possible in the short amount of time. He really loved exploring, even if it did get him in a little trouble some of the time, but most of the time he was pretty safe. 

He saw that Ruka was kind of down about having to go back to the common room. "Look... I'll should see you soon, and I promise that i'll teach you some more about Qudditch... deal?" he said, reaching his hand out as if to seal the deal. He looked up and smiled, laughing as the silence was quite abnormal after all the fun they'd just had. He knew that he wouldn't just loose this friend, they would probably be friends throughout the seven years! He nodded at Ruka, urging him to shake on it... 

Ruka immediately lit up at the mention of getting together again and maybe exploring the castles and grounds a bit. "I'd love to go exploring," he said solemnly, grinning at Donny as if to make a silent promise.
He had a feeling that their friendship would continue throughout their time at Hogwarts, and there was a lot of trouble just waiting for them to get into.
He looked over at the sinking sun and then back at Donny who had reached out his hand for Ruka to shake, and he smiled brightly as he returned the gesture. "I'll hold you to that," he said teasingly, his hand clasping around Donny's and giving it a firm shake. "Sooner or later I'll be as good at flying as you," he promised, laughing brightly as they returned their brooms and slowly, almost reluctantly, made their way back towards the castle. The air was chilly around them, and the sky was darkening above, and every instinct he had told Ruka to make a fire and camp out, but he knew he wouldn't be allowed, so he pulled his attention from the oncoming night sky and back at Donny. "So be prepared, next time I see you, I might beat you at racing AND Quidditch!" With that, he nodded at Donny, waving when the time came for them to part ways, and with giddy expectations of when they would meet again.

End of Thread

Back