Quidditch Training Pitch

Register
Sign in
  Back

To keep Track of Friendship  PV Rowan 

@Rowan Bane
It was rather late in the afternoon, classes must have ended by now. At least for the younger years, as Alan did not believe that any subject but Astronomy would be that late in the evening, that would just be cruel towards all of the students. They deserved free-time right? Alan was currently at the Quidditch Training Pitch, but not to go anywhere near those brooms; the thought of falling from heights was horrible for the young boy. Sure magic could fix a lot, but that did not mean he had to serve himself on a silver platter just to experience the power of healing magic at first hand.

He chose a time where the Quidditch teams were usually in-active so that he could run a few rounds around the pitch. It was a nice place for training, or so the young boy had experienced. Rarely people would visit this place if it was not for a bit of training, so the second year was pretty sure that this would turn out to be a calm training again. Thought and done, the Gryffindor knelt down to fasten the laces of his red running sneakers. The sides of them had an aesthetic and cool looking check print, which made Alan proud to have found them in the store. They had a nice cushioning charm on them so that he could wear them as long as he wanted without the shoe pressing against the skin uncomfortably.

A sigh escaped his lips as he stood up and began to jog in a nice and settled pace. Not to fast or too slow, just perfect to keep up with his stamina and breathing.

*Alan*
"The world can only be as beautifuly as you let it be."

He didn't have enough hands for this.
A bird had gotten tangled in one of the traitorous flags lining the Pitch walls, and he had left the pocket knife in the jacket sitting... on his wheelchair, which he had gotten out of to pick the bird up in the first place. Short arms.... 
He kinda hated life at this exact moment. 
Anyhow, he was holding the bird still currently, and couldn't let it go, otherwise it would struggle and strangle itself. And he was holding the fabric away from it's throat, also keeping it from strangling itself. 
So yeah. He was stuck. 
His options were let the bird die slowly or let the bird die... also slowly.
Great. 
As he heard footsteps approaching from behind him, Rowan turned his attention from the animal for just a few seconds. Either they could help or they would just run by. There were a lot of possibilities actually. Rowan almost made himself dizzy with how quickly they all flashed through his head. 
Rain drops. 
Turning his attention back to the approaching figure, he recognized the Red haired child. The ROAM event! He would help! What was his name again...?

"Alan!"

He called, hoping the child would stop and notice him

Often lying, but not to you.

”ALAN”, he was about to begin his first round around the pitch, when he could hear someone shout his name. That voice sounded familiar ever so slightly, which made the second year stop dead in his tracks and turn his head around in confusion. As his gaze wandered into the direction of where the boy-ish voice was directed from, he soon spotted whoever shouted his name. He knew the boy and it took just a small while until he remembered from where he recognized the boy that was around his age, but a first year if he remembered correctly.

He tilted his head, but was inwardly happy about another chance to speak with the boy. He was worried that he would not get a chance to apologize to... Ro-...lan? Was that his name? Alan did not quite remember, but he could ask, right? Asking would not hurt. Alan picked up his jacket from the ground. He had previously placed a few rocks on top so that it would not fly away. With the jacket in his hand, he johhed over to the younger student and stopped.

His eyes widened when he caught sight of the small bird and noticdéd how the other had problems reaching it, for the obvious reason of him sitting in a wheelchair. Problem was, Alan was around as tall as the other was, even if he sat in that wheelchair, the Gryffindor himself was quite small.

Alan would look at the bird in sorrow and deep thought. ”Oh gosh, you poor thing... We gonna save you, alright? You don't look hurt, just frightened little one, which is good...”, he cooed at the bird, who would not understand a word of what he was saying, but Alan just was that person who loved speaking to animals. He turned to the other Gryffindor. ”Any ideas how to help the bird?”, he asked the wheelchair bound boy hopefully.

*Alan*

"He's currently trying to strangle himself by struggling. But there is a knife in my jacket pocket. Grab that and cut the fabric? Jacket is on the back of my chair. There's also seeds in the satchel as well."

He nodded to the items in question.
Thank the gods above and below he had heard him. He really didn't want to let this creature die. 
The seeds would help the bird calm down- if it would stop freaking out enough to even eat them. And the knife of course would cut it loose.

"I want to check it's wings once it's free. Make sure we don't have to take it to Professor Griffiths or anything."

This was his element though. Usually he was quiet and analytical and reserved, but this time... Maybe it was an opening. He wanted to talk to Alan before. They could take care of this bird and maybe talk then... Who knew. First priority was the creature tangled in the flag. 
The bird tried to struggle more now that Alan was here, chirping loudly in distress. Well, at leas that it was a good sign it wasn't choking. Wouldn't be able to do that if it had no air.

Alan nodded and turned to the jacket that hang loosely over the wheelchair. Wasn't the other feeling cold completely without wearing a jacket to keep him warm? Alan shrugged and thought he would mention if he also needed the jacket to keep himself warm, Alan would give it to him if needed, so the Gryfindor just concentrated on the task given. He got a small pocketknife from the jacket as well as some of the seeds, that he found loosely in the pocket. Maybe the other liked to feed birds, which reminded him of the foodstations he always build up in his garden during the cold times of the year.

”I got them!”, he announced excited,as he simultanously flicked open the knife, looking at the sharp edge warily. He turned towards the bird, as he stretched out his left hand that was not holding the knife, to gently wrap it around the bird. He was careful as to not uncomfortably ruffle up the feathers, but simplyhold him calm. The bird was still squeaking in panic but had no range of free movement as of now. It would make the task of freeing the little guy easier, so with a nervous glance to Ro-something he just sighed.

”I don't want to hurt him with thw knife...”, he mumbled as scenes flashed up in his mind of two figures stomping on two birds. He shook his head to get rid of those images, he just wanted to forget that whole experience from the last year.

*Alan*

"You got a good hold on him? Good- I'll do the knife work, no need to worry."

Weapons teeeeeecchhhhnically weren't allowed on school grounds... but hey he wasn't using it to hurt anyone, so we're fiiiiine. 
He slowly slipped one hand away from the bird's underbelly, making sure Alan had a good hold. He saw something flash through his eyes when he had flicked open the blade. A bad experience or simply the natural fear of sharp things that could cut you? He didn't dwell on it for long though. He had a task to accomplish...
Still holding onto the fabric around the bird's throat, Rowan took the knife from Alan with his free hand. He pushed the bird's head down with his thumb and tucked the blade along the back of the creature's neck, before suddenly...
The fabric fell away after a harsh slash upward. 
Rowan flipped the blade back into the casing and tucked it in his robes, taking the rest of the fabric away from the three of them by balling it up and throwing it aside into the snow.

"Good job. Thanks for grabbing this for me. I was scared I was going to have to let him go."

The relief Alan felt when the other boy told him h would do the knife work was huge and Alan's shoulders visibly slumped down as his body relaxed. He did not trust himself aound sharp objects as he did not want to hurt anyone, but was right this his problem? If he would learn how to handle such a blade he would not have to worry for those around hm, right? Storing those thoughts for later, he just shook his head and let the younger student take the knife from his shaking fingers.

He then watched as the other boy carefully, but with as much grace a cut through fabric could be, freed the small bird without any second thoughts. The small bird was still chirping panically in his hand, that still caged the bird, as Alan lowered the little animal to himself and stroked through the feathers on his head, gently. It distracted the bird enough so that he could check on the little wings, but the bird did not seem to react unnaturally and did not seem in pain. Happy with that the young Gryffindor raised his hands and let the bird free of his temporary 'cage' and excited the hazel-brunette watched as the bird flew away, after it first struggled with orientation.

”But you did it, Ro! He seems fine! Your name was something with Ro. Right? My memory is very bad and we had no chance tot alk much...”, Alan turned to face the other boy, a bright smile on his lips. ”Want me to give you your jacket? Or to put the knife away?”, he added after mere milli-seconds.

*Alan*

Rowan smiled slightly. 
Maybe the boy was just trying to be helpful, but he really didn't want or need his assistance.
Pulling the wheelchair a bit closer, he pulled himself up into the chair again, closed blade in between his teeth. Once he was properly situated, he slipped the knife back into the jacket, and put it over the back again. He was a heater, and already acclimated to the cold, so no jacket was needed at this point.

"Rowan. My name is Rowan. It's okay if you forgot. Alan, correct? I got that one right?" 

What did people talk about again? They both liked animals, they could talk about that.

"Have you done that before? It seems like you have. You knew how to hold the bird perfectly." 

Why was Rowan even out here in the first place again?
He needed to take a breather right. Miko had been sending him letters and it was stressful, classes had started getting harder, a new girl had been asking for help in a few classes, the whole excitement at lunch hadn't died down still, and he just needed it all to stop. 
Riley had been getting him to eat more, which was... a general plus, in most people's book. He had been gaining a little weight, so he no longer was a stick.
He blinked a few times, bringing himself back to the present. He gave a little smile, ruffling out his hair.
He didn't mean to be so rude, he just was having a bad day. Maybe he could make it a little better.

Alan watched the probably younger boy, as he was in none of his classes, put the knife back into his jacket. He smiled shyly, hoping he had not insulted the boy by trying to be helpful and let his gaze wander to the place where he had dropped his own jacket. He picked it up and slipped it over his small frame. He was sure that he would not go for a run now, as he wasn't sure if he would have another chance to make friends with Rowan anytime soon.

”Yeah, you're correct... My name is Alan, I guess you are a Gryffindor as well, because yeah uhm... you saw me in the common rooms sometimes?”, he tried to re-call awkwardly what Rowan had said last time they met. His memories were mostly focused on the cruppies so he could not remember that much of the details of interaction, except for his talk with Moffy.

Alan looked at the boy and the inner embarrassment began to tint his ears in a light red. He nodded, slightly. ”I always build a few food stations for bird in the winter, with seeds and other stuff the vet said we could use... so that the birds have it easier to find food. So there are always lots of birds in our garden and when they get sick we try to nurse them back to health...”, he muttered shyly as he played with the strings of his hoodie.

”N-not to sound rude... but what brought you to the Quidditch Pitch?”, Alan asked nervously, a genuine smile curled the corner of his mouth upwards, as he burried his hands in the pockets of his jacket.

*Alan*

Rowan smiled slightly. Oddly enough, he hadn't seen him in the common room, but instead in his flat. Usually it would be the other way around, but he remembered vaguely that he had been in there at one point or another. For what reason though..?

"I saw you in the flat I believe. You're friends with my... boyfriend Riley, if I remember correctly. You talked for awhile while he was playing gui... guitar..? Yes."

Now it was coming to light again. It was a short while ago, but he remembered that Riley had mentioned something about a boy who was in ROAM coming in and talking to him while he had been playing, and had a suspiciously close description. Hopefully he wasn't completely off. He hadn't remembered if Riley had said the boy's name was Alan or not. 
A question was added though, at the end of Alan's train of thought.

"Needed somewhere to clear my head. And the Training Pitch is a bit more protected from the wind than just the open grounds."

The wind was probably what had thrown the bird into the flag, actually. Now that he put some thought into it. He tilted his head to the side for a moment, before he snapped back to the current topic.
He did want to move on from that particular question though. He didn't want to talk about why he had to clear his head. That would be a mess.

Alan looked at the other boy in confusion. He clearly remembered that when they were playing with the small cruppies, the other Gryffindor had mentioned something about seeing him in the common room, wasn't that? Was he messing up some memories again? He was not sure, but there was something else that confused him even more. ”Boyfriend? What is a boyfriend? Is that a friend who is a boy? Why even say it different and not just call it friend?”, he asked and scrunched up his face in slight concentration. Alan didn't know how love felt or worked. He knew that his parents liked each other much and differently than they liked him, but he did not pay any thoughts to that. For him kissing was yucky and he would never do that!

He stared at the other boy, waiting for a reply. His words make sense, the Pitch were kind of shielding the place wind as long as you stayed on the ground. But Alan had no intention of flying and Rowan did neither. Alan did not even ask further as for him the question was answered. Who doesn't love fresh air and the outside? So he just went with that.

*Alan*

Oh no... 
Rowan prayed to every god above and below that Alan wasn't that kind of person. Though... as Rowan stepped back in his mind to think about it, something seemed... off...
He went back over the other male's words for a moment. 
Alan didn't seem like that kind of person. And he had seemed to be friends with one of the people he had seen at the LGBT+ club. So why...
OH. He had misheard him.
That made much more sense, and kept Rowan from tensing up for the rest of their interaction.

"Ah so- heh, It's basically just a friend you're really close with. Like you get to hug and kiss and stuff with them. People usually only have one so you gotta choose really carefully."

Okay, so no need to panic. He wasn't homophobic. Just clueless. 
He could deal with that. 
Actually it was almost sweet.
A soft smile formed on Rowan's lips without him even noticing. 
He was probably sheltered, but all the better for him. He didn't hate him for it. In fact he was glad for him. The world needed more people like this.

Alan scrunched up his face at the word kiss. Hugs were nice, he loved hugs but he was not interested in kissing yet. His father said he would be when he got older, but Alan just shook his head and said he would not do stuff like that. It probably must felt weird... well he does like kisses on the forehead from his mother when it is not in public. In public it probably was embarrassing.

”I hug many people, but kissing is weird”, Alan replied and shrugged slightly. ”But I am glad you found this one person? Riley, right? He is nice! So he feels special for you?”, Alan grinned at the other Gryffindor, showing off the row of white teeth without intention to do exactly that. But Rowan seemed nice, maybe they could become friends. He wondered if he would have someone special for him when he grew older or matured a bit more. However so far he only wanted to play around and make some friends. Riley and Rowan would be nice friends to have, he believed. They seemed like very nice people. He also was happy that he got Griffith, because even though the man was from the serious site he was very nice.

*Alan*

Rowan chuckled softly, blushing ever so slightly. 

"Yeah. He's pretty special. I missed him a lot over break, actually, while I was in the hospital."

Saying Riley was special was an understatement, but if that's how Alan understood it, he would go with the wording. He didn't need to get into the details. 
Infact now that he said that, he felt the same pang in his chest from over break. Longing, was it? He was missing something- or someone- not Riley- no, he had seen him less than an hour ago- but still...
He shook his head slightly, drawing his brows together in contemplation. 

"Hey- I'm really sorry to have to do this- but I should probably get going, yeah? I think I may have forgotten something up in the dorms. I'll see you later though, right?"

What was it?
He was forgetting something. Well- his rememberall was up in his dorm- so that's what he was going to get. But he didn't need it to tell him he was forgetting something. He already knew that. Though maybe it was just his anxiety acting up again, and the rememberall would tell him differently? 
Rowan was making his head spin again with all of these back and forth thoughts. 

Alan was not quite sure what Rowan was talking about, but alone the word hospital made the young boy frown. That did not sound so well and it made his mind wander towards his father. He wondered if he was doing any better than he did here, with wizards specialized on the idea he had. Then again he could only send his wishes and owls, as he could not see them at this time. Looking at Rowan he just smiled slightly and nodded, he could understand the feeling of missing someone. Everyone sometimes missed people, he did too, miss his friends when he was gone for a while and he would love to be able to visit his parents. That's why he was glad that at least some of the adults did enough stuff with kids and the creature he already met was the most adorable. He missed holding Senkel close in his arms and wondered if the Crup would remember him...

When Rowan said bye he just nodded, slightly absent minded as he was lost in his thoughts.
”I will see you around, Ro”, he greeted back as he continued standing there, probably looking lost which was not unusual. It was him after all.

*Alan*
  Back