Quidditch Training Pitch

Register
Sign in

Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust  Closed 

However much Lettie hated to admit it, Flying class had been a nightmare so far. Lettie was not used to failing in school, especially after working so hard at something. Benji's brother had been trying to teach them how to fly since they were 8, and she just could not get the hang of it. She always depended on Benji to help keep her steady while she was in the air.

The feeling of being completely and utterly terrible at something and not being able to do a single thing about it irked Lettie to her very core. After the flying professor had insisted they start to learn barrel rolls last week, she had reached her boiling point and made it her mission to come to the practice pitch early in the morning before the other students had a chance to see how terrible she truly was. Lettie would never admit it, but she was ashamed to have come from a decently long line of witches and wizards and possess no more flying ability than a baby raccoon.

With  a determined glance to the sky, Lettie gave a  hard kick off the ground and started to hover shakily in the air. After going a few seconds without falling perilously, Lettie felt a little bit more confident and started to steer her broom straightforward. The line she made in the process was quite a bit less than 'straight', but at least she didn't swerve as horribly as she used to. Maybe she was seeing bits of improvement after all.

Just as Lettie was starting to feel a bit more comfortable, she saw an unknown figure on the ground below. Her heart skipped a beat, as she hastily made her way back to the ground, frowning at whomever dared disturb her peace. As she got closer, she realized that the figure actually looked strangely familiar. No - could that be.... ? "Kyden?!" she exclaimed, hastily trying to hide her broomstick behind her back. "What on earth are you doing here so early?!" Her cheeks were bright red with embarrassment and she was having trouble making eye contact.
Last edited by Kyden Goodlow on 12th May 2018, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

❤ Lettie Lancaster ❤
Sta: 5 | Agi: 7 | Str: 1 | Ctrl: 6 | Arc: 6 | Acc: 5

Kyden walked out onto the Quidditch Training Pitch with a school broom in hand. He loved coming out in the early morning and flying with nobody bothering him. He looked up and noticed that somebody had had the same idea. He also noticed that that person was not very good on a broom. In fact they were close to horrible. He chuckled softly to himself. It was only then he realized it was Colette. The girl who seemed kind of like a know it all.

He noticed the look on her face and heard her question. However he chose not to answer it. Instead he mounted his broom and kicked off soaring high into the sky. When he was at a great height he started to do some loop de loops and barrels. He then pointed his broom down and sped toward Colette. Pulling even with the ground he hovered close to her.

"I like to come out and fly around. I like the morning best because not a lot of people are around. Okay so I guess you are not so amazing at everything then?" Kyden smiled at her. He was teasing slightly but he really just couldn't help himself. 

Kyden Zarye Goodlow // Editor for the Slytherin News-magazine //

Lettie found it to be incredibly annoying that Kyden came out to the pitch early in the morning for the exact same reason as she did, only he wasn't motivated by shame. She shivered in the wind as the boy zipped around the pitch with near-perfect form. Most people might find it nice, or even fun to watch, but Lettie couldn't be more irritated. Yeah, okay, Kyden, we get it, you’re good. How insufferable could someone be?

The boy finally came down so that he was hovering a bit above her, and said something that really irked her. The look that Lettie was giving him was as cold as the brisk morning wind. Of course she wasn’t good at everything – nobody was! Why did he feel the need to hold that against her? Immediately jumping to the defensive, she said “Of course I’m not perfect at everything,” she frowned. “But I’m not bad at flying. At least, not really,” she flipped her hair back before continuing. “I only wanted to practice pretending that I was bad. I don’t want people to be too intimidated by me, you know; it’s a bad image for someone who wants to have friends, as I’m sure you could attest to.” She rationalized the thoughts in her head as she spoke. That was totally believable, right?

Lettie was not above accepting help when there was help needed, but there was something about the idea of asking Kyden that was particularly cruel. It was as if he was expecting her to grovel at his feet and beg for his advice, and she was definitely not a groveler. Instead, she decided to take a more indirect approach. “Well, since you are perfect at everything, why don’t you explain to me how you are so good at flying. Any tips and tricks for us lowly humans?” She said this sarcastically, hoping that he wouldn’t see through her careless demeanor.

❤ Lettie Lancaster ❤

Kyden laughed. Of course he could see right through her. But that was okay. He wasn't trying to make her feel bad. He was just.....well okay he wasn't exactly sure what he was trying to do. He looked out across the  Quidditch Training Pitch for a moment before turning back to Colette. 

"Okay then. If you were only practicing on how to pretend that you are really bad at flying show me what you really can do. After that I might be able to give you pointers more accurately you know? " He winked at her. "And as for me. I am so good because I have been flying with the bigger kids at the Orphanage since I was 5 years old. So I have been at it for awhile."

He touched down and stopped hovering. After dismounting his broom he stood next  to Colette waiting for her to show him what she really could do though he knew it wasn't much. He could tell by the way she held the broom. She held it as if she was terrified that it would suddenly grow teeth and bite her hand off.

"A quick word of advice if you don't mind. Just take a deep breath. Relax and trust yourself."

Lettie had always been under the strict impression that the harder you worked at something, the better you got at it, and that she could do anything she set her mind to. That’s how it went with all the characters from the stories, so it must be how it happens in real life, right? After attempting to learn Flying, she wasn’t so sure. It was as if Merlin himself had reached down and smited her every attempt to improve, and here was Kyden, the root of all evil, and he could fly perfectly. She was filled to the brim with envy and contempt, though she did her best to hide it.

He’s been flying since he was 5? Lettie had been flying since she was 8 and that didn’t seem to make much of a difference for her. There was another part to Kyden’s sentence that had stuck out to her though – she didn’t know that he had grown up in an orphanage. Lettie felt a pang of empathy for a moment, but it soon faded as she remembered how good he was and she was permeated with resentment again. She chose to ignore the fact that he had asked her to show her what she could do. “Oh, that’s splendid!” she grinned. “It must have been nice to have each other since you couldn’t have your parents.” She placed her hand over her heart and squinted her eyes as a display of compassion, however pleasant her words sounded, there was a certain malevolence to them. “What did happen to your parents, if you don’t mind me asking?” She asked, adopting a tone of innocence. Surely if it happened so long ago, he couldn’t have too many hurt feelings about it now, could he?

At any rate, it seemed like the cat was out of the bag, and there was no use trying to hide her lack of talent anymore. At least, not to Kyden. However irritating she found him to be, there was still a part of her that liked and respected him. However tolerable she found him to be, she was definitely not ready to just blindly follow his advice yet. “Relax?” Lettie scoffed. “What, do you want me to fall off my broom?”

❤ Lettie Lancaster ❤

Kyden wasn't so sure about Colette. He couldn't tell just by her tone of voice if she was mocking him or if she honestly cared about what happened to his parents. However he in his heart he knew the answer was that she could care less and she was mocking him. He wasn't quite sure why she had such a hatred for him but he knew that she did.

He looked down at his hands. "Well actually it wasn't so great having each other. I mean I guess if fist fights and hiding in secret passageways was fun and exciting. But truthfully even me being so small I was more the one who stuck up for everyone."

He looked up at the sky trying to avoid the questions about his parents. He really loathed talking about it. It irked him to know end that he didn't know what happened about them. He didn't know if they just hated him and gave him up, didn't know if they were dead, he just didn't know. Heck they could have a whole other family out there and just didn't want Kyden. The thought of that agitated him to no end.

"Well um I don't really know what happened to them. Just know that when I was younger I got dropped of there. I don't remember my parents or anything. I shouldn't care but it really bothers me. Like what kind of parents would just give up their child for no freaking reason!" Kyden's voice had begun to raise the more he talked about his parents.

He took a deep breath and looked at Colette. "Look it may sound weird to relax but think of it this way. You know how dogs can smell fear. So if you show them fear they are more likely to react and bite you. Well brooms are kind of the same way. I know it sounds weird but if you act scared the broom is going to be less likely to listen and do what you want it to."

Lettie rolled her eyes. Of course Kyden was one of the kids that stuck up for everyone. She knew from the moment she laid eyes on him that he was one of the goody-good suck-ups that she would have to watch out for. Of course Lettie was all down for doing any good deed that would set her apart from the rest and get in good with the Professors, but she didn’t do it just for the sheer sake of being kind. That was just idiotic; nobody could ever do enough kind in the world to actually be helpful to everyone, so why bother? This was still a game though, and she still had to respond accordingly.

Lettie adopted a sickly sweet smile before saying ”That’s so nice of you to stuck up for everyone.” By the looks of him, Lettie wasn’t sure how he managed that feat without the use of magic, though. ”I actually do think Secret Passageways sound exciting, though! Were there many in the orphanage?” The idea reminded her of Hogwarts, in a way. Lettie had heard there were many hidden passageways around the castle, though she hadn’t been fortunate enough to find one yet. Maybe she would set aside some time one day to look. She knew Benji would totally be game for it, and having a secret passageway to use every once in a while could prove to be useful, after all.

A frown rolled across Lettie’s face. Of course, her family wasn’t the brightest, happiest thing in the world either, but at the very least she could always depend on her sister. Kyden didn’t really have anyone, save for a couple of kids at the orphanage that may or may not be loyal to him. Judging by the raise in Kyden’s voice, Lettie could tell that it was really bothering him, too. In that moment, Lettie forgot about any ill-feelings she held towards the boy and gazed at him with awed concern. She knew she had to say something. ”Look, I don’t know about your parents, but they would have to be a fool to just desert you without having a good reason.” She paused for a moment, making sure she had his full attention. ”And I also know that if they gave birth to you, they aren’t fools.”

Realizing what she had just said, Lettie became a bit flustered, her cheeks flooding with red. She hastily shook her head and straightened out her robes, being sure to avoid eye contact. The subject change was greatly appreciated. “Er, I actually hate dogs, so I guess that would make sense, since I hate flying, too.” Lettie looked at her broom with disgust. The whole idea that a broom had a mind of its own was absolutely ridiculous, but she couldn't ignore the fact that the boy was really good. Maybe there could be a speck of truth to his words after all?

With a sigh and a roll of her eyes, Lettie started to mount her broom once more. However useless the advice may turn out to be, it certainly couldn’t make her any worse than she already was. She shot a serious look at Kyden before continuing. ”I’ll try it, but I swear, if this is a lame trick to try to get me to fall of my broom, don’t think for a moment that the Headmaster won’t be hearing about this.”

The Slytherin girl took a deep breath before finally kicking off the ground. With a renewed sense of valor, she hovered in the air for a moment before looking back down at Kyden. “Hey, are you going to come up here and show off some more? Or are you too scared?” She smirked. Lettie was nothing if not determined, and she was definitely going to learn the barrel roll that day, one way or another.

❤ Lettie Lancaster ❤

He looked at Lettie. He wasn't sure if he wanted to tell her he had already found a good number of the secret passageways here at Hogwarts. Oh what the heck. It might irk her just enough. Just enough to get back at her for the way she irked him. 

"Oh yeah there is a about 24 secret passageways at the orphanage I found all by the time I was 7. The first kid to do so. There is a ton of them here to. I have already found quite a few of them here. I am always on the lookout for more."

He watched her mount her broom and kick off into a hover. He loved that she called him out and was always making him prove himself. However there was no way he would tell her that. He grabbed his broom and quickly mounted it pushing off to hover besides Colette. 

He quickly flew higher than she was and hovered waiting for her. "Once you get the hang of things and are better at flying I would love to race you. Of course I won't now because I actually want a challenge."

Kyden could see himself being friends with Colette. Friends with a little hint of rivalry is something he needed in his life. It would push him to always do his best.