Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

New Friend  PV Mae Winters   Closed 

It had only been an estimate of four days since Elsie had arrived at Hogwarts and already the Library was her favorite place. There were so many books and so many different subjects to discover. However, Elsie had to contain herself from grabbing the nearest book about Magical Creatures. She had a mission. As of late, she and another fellow Ravenclaw,  a girl named Mae Winters,  had been sending messages to each other. Today she was going to meet her pen pal. Granted, they probably had seen each other before, but the two had never talked in person. Elsie couldn't tell if she was more nervous or excited.  She hoped to make a good first in-person impression. She is a whole lot more confident in writing than when she is conversing in person. 'Don't worry you'll be fine.' she mentally voiced trying to serve the jitters. 'There is no need to overreact.' If only her fidgeting hands could only agree with her. She bit her lip trying to calm herself down. That's when she made a realization. She has no idea what Mae looks like! 'Why didn't think of that!" she internally groaned sitting down at the nearest table. 'So much for being in Ravenclaw.'
Last edited by Elsie Hoagland on 21st March 2018, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elsie N. Hoagland

Mae was rushing down the cooridor to get to the Library. Recently she had made a pen pal named Elsie Hoagland, and she told her to come to the library. Mae was a bit nervous because she knew Elsie was a fellow Ravenclaw but had no clue what she looked like, or how she acted, in fact they had only been Pen pals for a few days. Mae turned the corner and saw the sign for the Library, as she slowed her pace she walked in. All Mae could see was book-shelfs upon bookshelfs, she felt a little bit home, she loved reading like Elsie and she knew this was going to be their safe haven. She saw the tables where a girl was sitting and decided to go sit by her while waiting for Elsie. 
"Is anyone sitting here, I'm waiting for someone, if it's okay to sit here,"
She watched the girl who looked about as nervous as she was, she thought that maybe she had a big paper due for Defense Against the Dark Arts, with a teacher like that who wouldn't be. Before she sat down she waited for the girls response. She did seem nice enough to sit with while she waited for Elsie.

-Mae Winters-
"The Wooooorst"- Jean-Ralphio (Parks and Recreation)

"Is anyone sitting here, I'm waiting for someone, if it's okay to sit here," a girl politely asked. By the look of her robes, I took note that she was a Ravenclaw as well. She had light brown hair and green eyes. She seemed to be looking for something or someone.I guess we are in the same boat. Though she seems a lot more composed about it. I quickly nodded as the girl took a seat right next to me. Part of me wanted to ask her if she knew Mae Winters. She was a Ravenclaw after all. Maybe she knew what Mae looked like. But then again she said she was looking for someone so she's probably not up for conversation.Wait a minute! My eyes lit up in instant realization! What if she's looking for me? What if she is Mae Winters? Well, I suppose there is only one way to find out.

"Excuse me," I spoke quietly. However, it came out more it a squeak than I had anticipated or desired. I mentally face-palmed myself for my social awkwardness. I recovered realizing I hadn't asked my question yet. This was it the moment of truth. "would you happen to be Mae Winters? I'm Elsie Hoagland."
Last edited by Elsie Hoagland on 21st March 2018, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elsie N. Hoagland

"Excuse me, would you happen to be Mae Winters, I'm Elsie Hoagland,"
The girl said to Mae in a bit of a squeak. Mae's eyes widened as she sat down. She couldn't believe that she was sitting face to face with the girl she had owled with. She definitely knew what to say,
"I do know her,"
She said, as the girl looked more inquisitively as to who she was. This was Elsie in the flesh, and she thought she was working on a paper for Defense against the dark arts. She put on one of the biggest smiles ever and said
"Your talking to her,"
"It's so nice to meet you,"
She said. Mae let that out in a bit more nervous sounding voice, as she knew that once she talked to Elsie she would get to know her better and be less nervous, after all they have been Pen-Pal's for a few days. She was certain they would become better friends, after all they do have most things in common like reading and Mae was also certain that the library could become a safe haven for them to share their likings of reading and the same classes with each other.
Last edited by Mae Winters on 1st April 2018, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Mae Winters-

"It's nice to meet you too," I replied. I was more than relieved that it wasn't a random stranger. That could have gotten awkward. But I was mostly just happy to finally meet my pen pal. And more importantly my first friend here at Hogwarts. "So do you like being in Ravenclaw? Was there another house you had in mind? I inquired. I figured it was the best question to start off with. My dad told me once that sometimes you can tell a man's character by what he wants and how he reacts to what he has been given. I don't know if that saying is true or not. My dad tends to use a lot of sayings. I'm not sure if the quote applies to everyone. I for one was content with being a Ravenclaw. Mostly because I didn't know or really bother figuring out what house I would be sorted in. Of course, I was curious but I figured that it was the sorting hats job. I had thought about what if I was in Gryffindor. It was my dad's house when he went to school here. But I most definitely have to agree with the Sorting Hat that Ravenclaw was a better choice.

Elsie N. Hoagland

"It's finally nice to meet you,"
She said to me, It was kind of nice to meet her too, she then asked me another question.
"How do you like Ravenclaw,"
I definitely had a good answer for her.
"Yeah I actually kind of like it, being in the same house as Luna Lovegood is amazing,"
Mae smiled cause she knew for sure she was starting to form her first friendship at Hogwarts. She was making a good friend for the next 7 years, that was something that no one could take away.
"Plus Ravenclaw is Blue and I like blue, more that red, green, or orange, I mean the sorting hat did put me here for good reason,"
Mae said, she was confident in her answer. She enjoyed being in Ravenclaw so far she also enjoyed learning about the famous people that had been there before her, Hogwarts had a bit of an alluring history to Mae. She said the answer a bit more nervously than she had meant to, after all this was her first friend at Hogwarts and she was certain that she wasn't prepared yet to make a friend, after all they were only just 11 years old. 
Last edited by Mae Winters on 1st April 2018, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Mae Winters-

" I mean the sorting hat did put me here for good reason," Mae replied. I couldn't help but agree with her on that.
"I think that the Sorting Hat put me in Ravenclaw because I think too much." I joked becoming a bit more comfortable. I had stopped fighting for the most part and I wasn't worried about what I would say next. Honestly, I thought I was going to take a whole lot longer to actually get comfortable with other people. I can be quite chatty and energetic but only to people, I'm close to. Otherwise, I just end up being shy and awkward. "Where are you from?" I questioned tilting my head slightly in interest, "I was born London but I haven't really had the chance to travel much." Traveling has been something on my bucket list for a while. All those new and intriguing places would be great inspiration for a novel or poem. Especially the English Moors. City life is fine but I've really wanted to visit the country when I'm older. Another place would probably be America.However, if I could only go to one state I believe it would be Massachusetts. All the history there seems so intriguing.
Last edited by Elsie Hoagland on 2nd April 2018, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elsie N. Hoagland

"Where are you from, I am from London but I don't get to travel much,"
Elsie said to Mae, as she was feeling more comfortable like she was getting to make a friend.
"I'm from Dublin, and yeah I kind of want to travel somewhere exotic one day like to Korea or Japan, I think there culture is wonderful,"
Mae said to her, she felt herself really connecting with someone at Hogwarts, since she got here.
"My dad is actually a factory worker, and my mum is a schoolteacher and all her students every year get to know me, I also have a sister at home, which I hope she isn't in my room."
Mae said a bit loud as a few students looked over, she made a slight guilty smile. Mae thought that she should tell her a bit about her family, she knew she was a bit interested in people's pasts, especially if they were half or pure blood, although she didn't find that much of a matter as more of who they are as a person and their interests. She didn't think all that much of people's titles as much as the background they had to be a nice and friendly person to Mae which Elsie seemed like so far.
Last edited by Mae Winters on 1st April 2018, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Mae Winters-

I smiled showing my small tooth gap front teeth. Not that I mind having my tooth gap. I haven't really paid much attention to it, to be honest. My parents are unable to afford to go to the dentist visits at the moment and I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to have someone use magic to cure it. Besides, it gives me character. "You have a sister?" I inquired, "What's it like? Having a sister I mean. I'm an only child. Not that I don't mind or anything! Being an only child of course. The closest thing to a sibling I have is my Aunt Sarah but she travels a lot so I don't see her often." I ended my little ramble with a nervous laugh. I've wondered of course what its like to have a sibling either older or younger. I think I enjoy being an only child a little too much. My parents like to joke that they spoil me and I guess in a way they have. I probably wouldn't get as much attention if there was another Hoagland on the loose. Besides with both of my parents working, they probably would be able to raise another child.
Last edited by Elsie Hoagland on 2nd April 2018, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elsie N. Hoagland

Elsie showed Mae her gap tooth. Mae thought it was cool she doesnt rarely meet people with a gap tooth. She then asked her what it was like to have a sibling. Mae loved her siblings as much as she could but they were all annoyances sometimes and to the older siblings it was vice versa some days. Having siblings was a nightmare but at the same time a dream it was like what her dad says, Siblings you can't live with em but you also can't live without em.
"It's a bit of annoyance sometimes but it's nice to have a sibling to later confide it, have you ever seen the muggle show Full House, it's a bit like that,"
Mae said back, she loved her sister no matter how much of an annoyance she could be. Elsie then said that the closest thing she has to a sibling was her aunt.
"Cool where does your aunt travel to, or more likely where has she been"
Mae said a bit quickly and nervously, she soon saw where Elsie found her love for Traveling. Mae was starting to find herself in a more comfortable zone with Elsie, a type of friendship was starting to unfurl between the two. 
Last edited by Mae Winters on 1st April 2018, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Mae Winters-

"I'm afraid I don't watch a whole lot of television," I replied. Mae had asked if I had seen a muggle show called Full House. I haven't really taken interest in tv shows muggle or otherwise.
"Where has your aunt traveled to?" Mae asked. My aunt Sarah loves traveling around the world to learn more about muggle animals. She claims that we don't know enough about them because schools are too busy teaching wizards and witches about magical creatures. I personally love both non-magical and magical creatures alike but I agree its good to keep the wizarding world informed.
"My Aunt travels all over. Most of her visits are in the United Kingdom and North America. However, she really likes visiting France the most." I did my best to explain, "She's trying to learn about non-magic creatures and educate the wizarding world about them. Sort of like Newt Scamander actually." Aunt Sarah is probably why I like animals so much. There's just so much to learn and know about them. "Speaking of animals, what's your favorite animal? I really like ducks. Especially the Crested Miniature but Mallards are really cute too." I began to ramble again. But could anyone blame me? Ducks are really cute!

Elsie N. Hoagland

Elsie told Mae she didn't really watch much TV, but Mae thought that was alright. She then went on to say her Aunt travels around to the US and places like France. She then went on to add about how her aunt was learning about muggle animals to teach the real world, and that her favorite were ducks.
"What is your favorite Animal,"
Elsie then asked Mae. Mae sat there for a moment to think and the replied,
"Yeah ducks are really cute, I do like Alpaca's and Gerbils, I mean c'mon who doesnt like Alpaca's there just so CUTE,"
Mae said a bit more loud that she had wanted, as a few students looked around at her. The librarian who was busing himself in a book looked up and shushed Mae. Mae turned back around to Elsie and make a guilty grin on her face as she whispered, 
"Oops that was louder than expected," 
Mae laughed a little at how loud she was, it was a bit embarrassing as some of the other kids from the other houses in the library looked at her, she could feel her cheeks getting warm of embarrassment being this loud wasn't in Mae's daily life.
Last edited by Mae Winters on 1st April 2018, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Mae Winters-

I couldn't help but laugh a little at Mae's outburst. "That was louder than expected," Mae commented.
"You're fine," I replied to her still grinning, "I didn't think anyone liked Alpacas that much. Then again they are so fluffy you cant really help to like them." It was funny and also reassuring see someone get excited about something they enjoy. "Can I ask you something?" I shyly asked giving her time to respond. I lightly bit my lip before continuing, "Are you a Muggle-Born? I don't mean to sound rude I was just curious. I've never really met a Muggle-born witch my age before. Most Muggles I've met are my mom's co-workers kids." I try to explain, "My mom's a Muggle too. She met my dad after he graduated Hogwarts and the rest of it is history." My mom and dad had met at a reasonably young age. They had met each other through a family friend and hit it off right away. " My parents are both writers. My dad works for the Daily Prophet, a wizarding newspaper, and my mom writes children's books. I guess that is where I got my love for writing. I want to become a short story writer or a journalist when I'm older."

Elsie N. Hoagland

Elsie laughed a little at her outburst a bit and said
"Your fine,"
She then went on to ask Mae if she was a muggle and that it wasn't meant to be so rude, Mae definately wasn't offended.
"Actually yeah I am and it's pretty cool that you want to be a writer when you grow up, would you do it for muggle newspapers or for the daily prophet?"
Mae then asked the girl she then added,
"No it wasn't rude I actually find it cool that your Halfblood, most don't look down on us as dirt, I do want to make friends with some Purebloods, but I'm pretty sure they won't be as nice to me as you,"
Mae added, she was really enjoying the time they were spending in the library.
"I know this is a bit of an off-topic question but you know how we have all our books out here and they are school approved and okay to read, do you ever wonder, just a little bit what's actually in the restricted area, why they want to keep it so private to us,"
Mae then said quietly to not attract the attention of the most already angry Librarian.

-Mae Winters-

"Well, I guess I would probably choose to work at the Daily Prophet. Seeing how my dad works there and all." I replied casually to Mae's question. Working as a journalist for the Daily Prophet would be really interesting. However, part of me wonders if I can handle it? Being a journalist can cause other so criticise your writing. Sometimes positively, other times well not so much. I know my dad has had his fair share of backlash. It just comes with the territory. But I nowhere near as bold or confident as my dad. He's able to take negative criticism well. While I, well I'm not sure how I'd be able to react. But I'm young and still learning. I'm not going to become a professional overnight. I'm going to have to take some time to develop my skills and self.

Mae asked me about the Restricted Section and why it was closed off.
To be honest I was curious about that myself. What type of book could be so dangerous? "Yeah, it's weird." I agreed, "Maybe its because some houses might try to poke their nose where it doesn't belong." I eyed at a group of Gryffindors after making my statement for emphasis. Not that I don't like Gryffindor, but they too seem to be the type of people who would try to sneak into a restricted section. "What actually bugs me is, why does the Library have to close? Shouldn't the students be allowed to have open access to the materials they need? Whenever they need it? What if a student has to study at night cause it's too noisy during study hours? What if there's a book they need from the Library and they cant get it caused it closed?" I gave a small huff after my little rant. I started to feel my face get a little warm after realizing how loud I had actually been. There were a few students who noticed but not enough to get a shush from the already annoyed librarian. "Guess I got a little overexcited huh?"

Elsie N. Hoagland
  Back