Library

Register
Sign in

Why Read Books When You Can Make Friends?  Finish 

Reducio
PRIVATE TO : SERENA TOWERS.

The library was one place that Sabrina had yet to visit. She tried to avoid it at all costs, considering she doesn't exactly favour studying of any sort. So why was she in the library? She truly had nothing better to do. Perhaps she would also be able to meet people here, too. Reid happened to make friends much faster than she had, and maybe she should start trying now. The library was pretty empty, but that was alright with her. She made her way over to one of the tables, pulling out a chair and taking a seat.

She pulled out the book she had on her at the moment - a story from home that she stole off of her mother's bookshelf - and opened it up to the middle, jumping into the story at a random point. It was like she was late to the movie and only just got there when it was at the climax point. She wasn't exactly reading the material though. More like skimming it. She didn't really feel the need to read right now. It was mainly something she did when she needed an escape. She didn't need said escape right now. Actually, she was pretty happy with reality at the moment. 

With another look around the room, the redhead let out a sigh. Maybe she wouldn't find anyone here. Should she relocate and try again? Well, then what was the point of going to the library in the first place? She grumbled to herself quietly. She should really stop justifying her own decisions to herself. It wasn't like it helped her any.

today you are the fire
& tomorrow you will be the sea.

Serena sighed. This was not the first time she had entered the library this term - and that upset her. To a great deal, you have no idea how much. Well, not upset her. It was just unexpected and rather unusual for the girl. However, in light of recent events, Serena figured there was something she needed to learn. It was something she wanted to ask Professor Blackburn, actually, as she figured it would count as "Charms". Unfortunately, she hated spiders. And his massive tarantula was a good reason to avoid the cute professor's office. Eurgh, what if she ran into that thing?! 

The library seemed like the second best option. Perhaps she could ask another professor once she had figured out what it was she wanted to learn, exactly. In all honesty, she didn't know. All she knew was that she had seen too many flames for her liking. The poor little Hufflepuff really hated fire. It was starting to scare the living daylights out of her... She was afraid of getting hurt. But she was also afraid of the damage it could do to her friends or others around. Recently, she had met and befriended a few students. Both boys. Both dumbasses. One had narrowly missed her face with a flaming fist. The other had managed to shoot a fireball at bushes and almost start a forest fire. Well that might be a bit of an exaggeration but either way, Serena was not impressed. They could have hurt her, themselves and potentially a lot of people around them. Hell, what if the fire spread and actually ended up burning down the forest? What would happen to the animals there? Or if it spread towards the castle?

Sighing, Serena knew she wanted to learn something to help in those situations. She didn't plan to ever be in that situation again but unfortunately, she was still friends with those two boys. So she could never be too careful about it. She figured, all she had to do was learn some sort of water spell. Something to conjure up water or put out a fire... sand would work too. Anything really.

The Hufflepuff sat flicking through the Book of Spells. It contained a lot of basic spells, that were apparently great for Charms. She was hoping there would be something in there but so far, had no luck. Maybe such a spell didn't exist? Or... and more likely, it wasn't a basic spell. She sighed softly. This was going to be far more complicated than she had hoped for, by the looks of it. "Eurgh, boys are stupid..." She muttered to herself, rolling her eyes at their idiocy. 

And on that note... Happy International Women's Day!

Serena Towers
Stamina: 5 | Evasion: 9 | Strength: 1 | Wisdom: 11 | Arcane Power: 4 | Accuracy: 10

When Sabrina heard a sigh in the room, she looked up. It was quiet in the library today, and she could even hear people flipping through pages of books off in the distance. She felt her heart rate pick up slightly as her eyes landed on a girl with dark hair, sitting at a table not too far away. She eyed her curiously, examining her in a way. Should she go and say hello? There was a good chance a conversation would start - the Hufflepuff emblem emblazoned on the girl's robes was something that tempted Sabrina to talk to her. Hufflepuffs had the potential to be amazing friends - she knew first hand.

The thought of Reid either saddened her or angered her at this point. With all of his new friends, she felt as though he had replaced her with his new friends at Hogwarts. She thought that they would stick together, that their friendship was indestructible, but it seemed like quite the opposite. Her heart ached a little for him, but she still got up from her seat. She still packed up her muggle novella and tucked it into the same pocket of her robes. And she still got up and walked towards the Hufflepuff girl across the room because no other emotion filled Sabrina up like envy.

"Hey," She greeted the girl, looking at the chair across from her, then around the room once again. It didn't look like she was with anyone. So maybe she could take a seat. "Can I sit here?" She asked, gesturing to the chair. She didn't wait much for an answer before taking a seat. She put her elbows on the table then, looking at the book the other girl had in front of her. The Book of Spells. "Studying for Charms?" Sabrina asked, simply because that was what it looked like. She personally didn't come to the library to study, but it wasn't any of her business.

"I'm Sabrina," She introduced herself as well, thinking she might as well. Wasn't that how most friendships began? The exchange of names. "And you are?" She asked, sticking out her hand towards the other girl to shake her hand. She was accustomed to doing so, even if she didn't happen to introduce herself to others often. She had Reid all this time, why did she need to? Now that she wasn't sure if he was keeping her around or not, she should really start branching out. She didn't want to be completely alone, that was for sure.

The girl in front of her was pretty - she had blue eyes, which contrasted against her smooth-looking dark skin and beautiful brown hair. She looked like she would be one of the people who wouldn't be caught dead studying. She wondered why she was here. Perhaps Sabrina was judging completely incorrectly. Why was she judging in the first place? It's not a very good thing to do. She should seriously try to break that habit sometime soon.

today you are the fire

Serena was too busy frowning at her book to notice another student had approached her. In fact, she was frowning at it so hard that you would think she was trying to blow it up with her mind. Sigh. Jumping slightly as she heard a voice that broke her concentration, she looked up to see a redhead girl that she didn’t recognise.  “Ahh, yes, of course. Sorry!” She replied, quickly pulling her bag onto the floor and freeing up some space on the desk for the other girl. She looked like a Gryffindor - which perhaps explained why she had come up to Serena and spoke to her so bravely. Man, that was something the Hufflepuff hated doing. She hated randomly talking to strangers. It took a lot of thought and courage to do that - things that she severely lacked, on most days. Once she had started talking, it usually turned out okay. It was that initial bit that she hated. Luckily for her, the redhead girl seemed good at it. She didn't have to think too hard this time.

Huh? Serena replied before suddenly realising that it must have looked like that, “Oh! No, no. God, no. More like trying to stop some idiotic friends of mine blowing themselves up - and probably half the school with them,” she replied playfully rolling her eyes and smiling, half joking. She adored the aforementioned boys. I mean, there’s no way she would actually attempt to learn something for someone that she didn’t care about. However, they were still going to be called idiots. I mean, they both cast fire right in front of her face - by accident. Had they done it on purpose, she wouldn't have minded so much. It was the fact that they both almost created a disaster without any intention of doing so. Serena really needed to learn some spells to help stop the fire next time.

"Sabrina? Like the witch?" She continued with a smile, remembering that a her brother had once made that reference to her own name. I guess the "Rena" part of "Serena" was similar to the "Rina" part of "Sabrina" so, he thought it was amusing... "Hi, I'm Serena," The girl introduced herself, firmly shaking the hand that the other girl held out for her. 

Serena didn't actually ask too many questions or have to think too hard about the conversation, for once. Luckily for her, the Gryffindor seemed to be doing the question part and creating enough of a conversation for her to go off. It was nice. She hated having to think about what she could ask and how to make small talk with someone. For once, she could just reply without having to get nervous or worry about what to say. She didn't have to worry about those awkward silences that she had grown to hate. A lot.

Serena Towers
Stamina: 5 | Evasion: 9 | Strength: 1 | Wisdom: 11 | Arcane Power: 4 | Accuracy: 10

A laugh came from the redhead's direction when the girl responded to her about the studying, her grin showing off all of her pearly white teeth. She happened to have great hygiene, which was a great habit to have in her opinion. Some people her age around the castle - and even older - smelled awful. She didn't even want to walk past them. Like Professor Yornivych, for example. That guy just didn't smell right. She didn't have the guts to say it out loud, though, because honestly the Transfiguration professor somewhat intimidated the Gryffindor girl. It was in her best interest to just stay on her own side of the train tracks. 

"Okay, so definitely not studying, got it," She mentioned, nodding her head in agreement. Her brown eyes flickered back down to the book the girl had in her hands, curious. Was there even anything in the Book of Spells that had to do with water spells or something? Probably not. Sabrina wasn't a Ravenclaw, she wouldn't know. She may have read the book in her spare time, but that doesn't mean the words went into her mind and then right back out. Hell if she could remember anything about whatever was in the book - even if she did book after-class sessions with Professor Blackburn. But that was not something she was particularly interested in doing.

"Yes, like the witch," Sabrina rolled her eyes playfully, a silly close-mouthed smile on her lips now. She had put on lip gloss today, which was highly unusual, and it made her lips very.. shiny. "Great to meet you, Serena." She pulled her hand back then, pulling her own book out from its uncomfortable place in her pocket and placing it cover-down on the table the two were sat at. She didn't exactly want to advertise her reading material - especially since it wasn't exactly focused on magic. More like, on the magic of adventures and some romance. She was a sucker for fiction.

"Sounds like you have a handful, though. Two friends that wield fire? How safe is that, exactly?" She joked in a way, bringing the palm of her hand up so that she could rest her chin in it. The girl was very simple-looking today. Makeup-free as always, freckled - as always, and in her uniform.. as always. She sometimes wished she were more spontaneous with the way she looked. Maybe then she would be able to make friends with people easier. Perhaps one day. "I haven't even met one person who uses fire magic." She mumbled, mainly to herself.

Did she know the people that this girl spoke of, even? Probably not. She had met all of three people during her time at Hogwarts - and she was sure that none of them did fire magic. Well, except for maybe Juliana. She really didn't trust that girl, no matter what she could do to make it otherwise. She had tried to become friends with her, as did the other two girls in their dorm, but it was definitely difficult. As though Juliana didn't want anything to do with Gryffindor, nor the girls. And honestly, Sabrina didn't mind that one bit. She could take her gore drawings elsewhere for all she cared.

today you are the fire

"Definitely not," She confirmed as she flicked through the book, "Though I don't think it has anything of use anyway... But... eh, I don't really fancy looking through all of those." Serena replied as she raised her finger off the page and pointed to the massive aisles near their table. The must have had thousands of books in each section, how would she find the right one? She sighed as she glanced back at the book and continued to flick through it. None of the spells seemed like they would be useful in the event of a fire, so far.

"What about you? What are you reading?" Serena asked as she glanced up and noticed that the fellow student had put a book down on the table. She couldn't see the cover of it but thought she'd make some conversation and ask her what it was. Sabrina had, after all, taken an interest in her work. It seemed only fair - oh what a Hufflepuff - to return the favour.

Laughing softly, she rolled her eyes playing and shrugged, "Not very!" She replied, "They... well..." She started, before pausing as she tried to think how best to word it. After all, she didn't want them to get into trouble so the exact details of each situation was ruled out. It was just better to avoid those things, "I guess it's more accurate to say that they accidentally created the fire." Both of the boys had done what they had in by accident. That was the issue. It was also perhaps the best way to explain two very different situations in a simple manner, "One, for example, had no idea the spell he was using would cause a fireball. So it was a complete accident, due to the lack of understanding the spell I guess." She continued, thinking how Ben thought the spell simply removed bushes or plants - rather than starting a massive fire. "Better to say, it was magic that backfired - rather literally!" Serena joked.

Serena Towers

"Nothing interesting," Sabrina insisted nonchalantly, pushing her book further away from the two with a small grin. She didn't mind the Hufflepuff girl being curious, but she couldn't help the fact that she would be wholly embarrassed if people knew of her genre habits. She then brought her arms back to herself, leaning them on the surface of the table again. She leaned in with them, closer to Serena, kind of in a way to show that she was interested - and invested - in the conversation.

"Not very! They... well... I guess it's more accurate to say that they accidentally created the fire. One, for example, had no idea the spell he was using would cause a fireball. So it was a complete accident, due to the lack of understanding the spell I guess. Better to say, it was magic that backfired - rather literally!"

"Oh no!" Sabrina laughed as Serena finished. The grin on her face was now prominent, and her eyes slightly crinkled at the corners. "I wish you luck with those two. They might end up burning you one day if you don't find that spell!" She giggled again, shaking her head slightly, "I hope that doesn't happen." And that, she said with complete seriousness. Getting burnt was the worst thing. She's burned her fingers on the stove enough to know that.

"Sorry if I interrupted your search for spells, but you looked lonely, and I was lonely, so I thought maybe we could be friends?" She suggested, licking her lips a little bit out of habit. Ew, she thought to herself, the taste of lip gloss is awful. Why did I wear this again? 

today you are the fire

"Surely it's better than my amazingly exciting 'Book of Spells'?" Serena joked, her tone dripping in sarcasm. Because let's be fair, they both agreed it was super boring. Please, she wasn't a Ravenclaw. She wasn't good at this studying nonsense. She was simply playing with Sabrina because she didn't want to press on the matter or be nosy. It could have been something private to her. Like a diary.

The Hufflepuff rolled her eyes playfully, laughing softly, "Yeah, tell me about it. I did get burnt on one of those occasions but it was because I ended up spilling tea over myself after seeing the fireball." She continued, realising how ridiculous this story sounded as she spoke. It made a bit more sense when you factor in that the tea was actually from a teapot that Ben had transfigured into a bunny. Well, more specifically, half a bunny. When she caught the teapot and dodged the fireball, she accidentally managed to spill the tea on herself - because she didn't realise there was tea in it in the first place. It was a strange day indeed... But that seemed to always be the way for Hogwarts. What else did you expect when you put a bunch of students together and attempt to teach them magic?

"No no, it's fine. I don't even think this is the right book. It's probably too advance, anyway." Serena replied with a shrug of her shoulders. She thought it would be useful to know but wasn't desperate to learn it. I mean, if she was really serious, she would find the guts to go talk to that cute professor with a scary pet spider. "I like the sound of that." Serena replied with a smile as she sort of raised her hand. She held it out like a handshake but... perhaps a bit more "pact like" as though to say, it's a deal, let's be friends. With a nod, she replied, "Friends." Being all dramatic. Oh how she liked to be dramatic and playful. It was a lot more fun than being miserable, anyway.

Serena Towers

"Surely it's better than my amazingly exciting 'Book of Spells'?"

A laugh came from the redheaded girl. She shook her head slightly, reaching to her book to flip through the pages quickly with her thumb. She turned her attention back to the dark-haired girl in front of her in a matter of seconds, though, and grinned widely. "Way more interesting. I can promise you that much." 

"Yeah, tell me about it. I did get burnt on one of those occasions but it was because I ended up spilling tea over myself after seeing the fireball."

Sabrina's eyebrow rose with these words, and her mind instantly went to one question. Without even letting herself process the question, she piped up with the obvious, "Why did you have tea?" Usually, tea and fire didn't mix. It was rare that it did. Especially if it apparently almost caused a forest fire. How confusing.

"No no, it's fine. I don't even think this is the right book. It's probably too advance, anyway."

She glanced down at the Book of Spells in Serena's hands, then shrugged her shoulders, "I honestly know just about nothing about anything to do with non-fiction stories." She admitted, crossing her other leg over the other and tucking her hand inbetween her knees to keep it warm. She tended to get cold rather quickly. It wasn't the best.

"I like the sound of that. Friends." 

Sabrina laughed at the intensity that the girl seemed to have with the situation, and reached her free hand out, shaking her hand firmly. "Friends!" She chirped, happily  agreeing to the arrangement. It felt good to be reaching out and making connections. Even if it was as unexpected as Sabrina communicating with other actual girls. She decided then to turn her attention away from the conversation they were having. Well, actually, it was more of.. she got distracted easily by the pitter-patter of rain against the windows of the library. She turned to look at them, and out to the stormy skies.

It was a rainy day outside. Gosh darn it. She was hoping that maybe she would be able to go out and do something in the Grounds today - pretty much anything that wasn't reading, or studying - but it seemed like the world was working against her. "Hey, say, would you like to do... well, really, anything but study in here? I'm dying for company, and you don't like studying, so.." She trailed off, quirking an eyebrow up at her. She would just leave out the part where she was dying to get out of there herself. It was just unneeded information, after all.

She stood up, picking up her novel again. It was snug in her grip, and even though it was a bother to carry around, she'd rather not leave it somewhere and lose it. Her name was permanently written on the inside of the cover though, so it wouldn't be likely that it went missing for long. She pushed her short hair over her shoulders so that it was behind her, and turned to grin at the girl again.

"I promise, it'll be fun."

Reducio
[ Sabrina exits the Library / Boom done with this thread sorry Ser I hate the Library LOL ] 

today you are the fire

Serena grinned at her new found friend. The girl definitely seemed to match her own sense of humour, which was always an important factor in making friends for the Hufflepuff. She needed people she could get along with and have a laugh with, if they were going to be close friends. The red-headed girl in front of seemed to have a few things in common with her, in fact. Perhaps she was more outgoing and social than Serena was, however. That was something the Hufflepuff could definitely learn from her. She hated that it took her a while to open up to people. Some people could do it so easily and she always wondered how.

"Ahh, it's a long story. It involved me holding a teapot and someone accidentally throwing a fireball my way." She replied, summarising the long story with a laugh. It was pretty amusing now that she thought about it. At the time, it hurt. A lot. But looking back, it was more hilarious. She really needed to learn some healing and water spells, though. Something to help in those scenarios.

Laughing, she nodded, "Yes, definitely. This is boring as hell," She replied as she closed the book in front of her. Standing up, Serena slid the book off the table and tossed it into her bag. Throwing the strap of the bag over her shoulder, she grinned at the Gryffindor, "Let's go!" She replied with a nod as she followed behind her. She had no idea where they were planning to go but let's be fair, anything was better than the library - surely. All of this studying nonsense, if you count flipping through a book that is, was too much for her. She deserved a break. She had earned it. A good relaxing break. Or you know, some fun and mischief. 

Studying was definitely not her thing. Speaking of which, didn't she have tons of homework that was due soon? Whoops. Perhaps one day, she will get to that... Man, all of the Professors were going to hate her. But that was tomorrow's problem. Today's problem was their boredom. It was time to solve that situation - one problem at a time, after all. Time for some fun!

[END]

Serena Towers