Library

Register
Sign in

Finding Books and Friends  Closed 

Delilah had been sitting at one of the back tables in the library for hours, studying for Astronomy since she wasn't very good at it. She was reading up on the different constellations and what they look like. She looked up when she heard a quiet thump and a whince. She looked up and saw a pale boy with platinum blonde hair looking around in mild panic, by the looks of things he just hurt himself on a chair which Delilah had done many times. The boy obviously didn't notice the brunettes eyes follow him across the room until he sat down with his large pile of stuff. Delilah felt bad that nobody had even noticed or cared that he possibly got hurt, she shut her book and stood up.

Normally Delilah would be quite shy and not want to talk to people very often but she felt really guilty so she walked over to where the boy sat down and sat next to him. "Are you okay?" She whispered so as to not attract the attention of other people and most importantly, the librarian. She placed her book on the table as she looked over at the book he was reading, she didn't want to be most but she guessed he wasn't a Ravenclaw, either that or he never hung out in the commonroom and since it was the weekend neither of them were in their uniforms meaning no coloured ties. Delilah didn't have any friends that she had met outside the common room, so her boldness to find out if this boy was okay, which surprised her to be honest, would be great to build a friendship on.

Not only had Delilah not spoken to any people from another house yet, but she hadn't spoken to any boys at all. She wasn't interested in talking to boys really, growing up her granny said "Don't trust boys, they have diseases." But she guessed that was because her granny thought she was too young to get a boyfriend, Delilah agreed with her though. She looked back up at the boy after scanning his book and noticed how much his eyes stood out, pale skin and almost white hair but striking blue eyes. Delilah felt extremely ordinary compared to him. Delilah was just plain brown hair blue eyes, nothing out of the ordinary.

She decided to speak once more, "Not to be nosy or anything, but what are you reading?"

Reducio
The picture of Delilah looks like she has one blue and one brown eye, I'm just counting them as blue

Adalacia had decidedly come to the library hours before to mull over some books, having finished all her homework for the week and growing immensely bored. Her drive to finish assignments so quickly had mostly to do with her being totally alone in this school, finding herself tucked away in her dormitory studying and finishing homework at lightning speed instead of spending time with her house mates, drinking hot chocolate and studying together. It wasn't their fault of course, Adalacia was just a little shy and on occasion unapproachable. It made life way harder than it really needed to be for the young Gryffindor. 

But the library was a solace, a place she'd found to hide away with all its nooks and crannies. Upon arrival that afternoon she'd set her stuff down at a table, and went off in search of charms text books; it being her worst subject, she figured it couldn't hurt to work outside the bounds of her teachers syllabus to get ahead, even if it was just a little. Thin fingers trailed along the weathered, and torn spines of the books, mumbling the titles under her breathe as she searched for the appropriate pick. "Magical spells and how to cast them, charms 101..." A loud thud interrupted her search, causing her to start with a jump. Curiously, Adalacia turned away from the book shelf and peered around the corner to see a young Slytherin boy slink towards a table, a look of pain and worry etched into his sharp features. Had he stubbed his foot or something? It was hard to hold back a snicker, but she managed, watching as he took a seat at the table where her stuff was sat down; her heart sank a little at that realization. 

How was she going to work up the nerve to go anywhere near him to grab her stuff? What if he talked to her? What would she say?

It didn't help that moments later a Ravenclaw girl approached him, engaging him in conversation. Adalacia let out a huff of air, shaking her head. Two people she didn't know, from two completely different houses, and her stuff just sitting there, waiting to be retrieved. Great.

Quickly Adalacia grabbed the Charms 101 textbook, did her best to shake off the nerves and began her trek towards the table, doing her best to avoid eye contact as she scooped up her bag and cloak from beside the girl, smiling apologetically at them both while they were mid conversation; "Sorry, I'll just move my stuff so it's not in your way." 

Real smooth, Lacy! There's like thirty other chairs here, why would your stuff even be in the way? She chastised herself. 

Reducio
Hope this is okay! :)

'Gryfect' Adalacia Podmore, the one and only!

Before the boy could answer, another girl came up to them and moved some stuff that Delilah hadn't even realised was there, "Oh." Delilah scratched the back of her neck as she looked up at the girl. "Sorry, I didn't realise that was there, you could sit with us if you want, unless.." She looked over at the boy again, she hoped it was okay with him because the more friends she had the better, unless this boy was shyer than she was. 

Delilah looked back to the girl and smiled before looking down, this was really trying her social confidence, not only that but she got into this emotional mess by trying to find out if somebody was alright, she probably could have avoided this entire event if she had just not cared. Screw her kindness, she bet her Granny would be proud of her at this moment in time, an owl will have to be sent to her as soon as possible, there was a lot to update her on. So far she was getting pretty good grades even though it has only been about 3 weeks and she has made a few friends now, or at least she hoped these two would be her friends.

Upon her arrival at this school, Peach had not once seen the Library. Her mother had told her how huge it was, and how once you entered it, the smell of history filled your nostrils and your eyes were blinded by the beauty of all these books. She told her that the more you looked, the prettier it got. Her mother would go on and on about the library, sometimes for hours, and the young girl enjoyed listening to it very much. Her mother would tell her that the library had no end and that the shelves were as big as towers. That every space was filled with books, small or big, fiction or history, for anyone to read. She had told her that if you lift your head, books would be flying back to their initial places and that students amused themselves by trying to catch the flying books. She had told Peach that the library was always a place for peace and quiet. And Peach really wanted to see it, this marvelous place, but she had been too busy getting around with the school and her classes that she had forgotten. 

Until today. She had finished her homework and classes ended a little earlier in the afternoon, so she decided to go have a look at the library, to see if it was as beautiful as her mother described it. She didn't doubt that it was but she just wanted to see. And to read, of course. 

She opened the big doors of the library and stepped in. She felt her breath run short when she saw the beauty of the place. Books all around, on tables and shelves and flying over their heads, and students walking with their arms filled with papers and homework, and the place, lighted with dim golden lights that weren't harsh on your eyes at night. She loved it. She walked to the nearest shelf and picked a book, about muggle poetry, and she looked for an empty table. There was none. the tables were huge, so maybe she could sit away from everyone else who was sitting there? She decided to do so and she walked to the nearest table, who was occupied by a young boy and two girls. She smiled at them and pointed to a spare chair. 

"May I sit here, please? I won't bother you, I promise."

hungry ghosts and book thiefs

The Gryffindor Prefect was becoming increasingly uncomfortable, gaze flicking back and forth between the Slytherin boy sitting at the table, the Ravenclaw girl still standing beside her and the younger Hufflepuff girl that had approached them, asking if she could sit. Adalacia herself hadn't asked if she could join them, not particularly wanting to in the first place, but the Ravenclaw had told her it was fine and now so was the Slytherin boy. Despite their kindness she was highly overwhelmed with the amount of people crowding around her, but she was also aware of how rude it would seem if she were to decline. This was her claimed table to begin with. Two's a crowd for the young first year, three? She may be the Prefect for Gryffindor, but large amounts of people still deterred her. When she was anxious she said weird things, and when she said weird things she'd find herself horrifyingly embarrassed and mulling over these weird things said for weeks on end; she was the epitome of a worry wart. 

And she wondered why she didn't have any close friends yet. 

"U-uh okay." She stuttered out, proceeding to move her things out of the way to make room for her to sit down. She'd taken off her plain black robe earlier and settled for the grey wool sweater to keep her warm, now having draping her robe on the back of her chair only to suddenly realize her tie was slightly off kilter, not to mention how pale the blaring crimson red and deep gold of her house colors made her skin seem... it was hard for her not to notice the little things when to her it was the little things that mattered the most. "Thanks." She offered to the boy who'd introduced himself as Mercer. He was all pale skin and striking blue eyes, his hair a wisp of white styled like he'd just rolled out of bed; that's not to say it was a bad look, just an interesting one.

The Hufflepuff girl who'd approached them, and was also invited by Mercer was cute in a delicate way, something Adalacia never was; she herself was dainty but more in the too thin, too average, too dainty way. If she had a kind and even personality maybe one could consider her delicate, but she was brash and forward when her shy front broke apart. It was one of the many reasons she was too scared of making friends, delicacy was a desired trait in young girls and Adalacia Valerie-Skye Podmore was anything but delicate. However the Ravenclaw girl seemed more on the forward side, seemingly shy to start but she found that most people are and once you met them they really opened up.

"My name's Adalacia, but you can just call me Lacy." She informed the other's, busying herself with organizing her books and notes so as to avoid eye contact. "I'm the Prefect for Gryffindor." She probably should have added a 'nice to meet you' or 'thanks for asking' but it was terrifying enough talking above a mutter with confidence let alone being polite for a change. 

(Hey, hope you don't already have too may people - if you do, just say so and I can zoom away lol)

Rhea was not expecting to be spending her afternoon in the library, of all places. She huffed as she held her Transfiguration book in her hand and walked in the direction of the library. Her professor's voice rang in her head. 

"Ms. Bishop, you simply cannot keep doing poorly on your tests or else I will be obliged to send an owl home to your parents! Would you like that? Of course not, so go get studying. You, and you alone, will have a test tomorrow afternoon, and if you do not pass I WILL send an owl home. Understood, Ms. Bishop?"

Rhea had nodded and had left the room, stopping by her dorm, and was now standing at the doors of the library. With a suppressed groan, she pushed the doors open and walked in. Immediately, she saw that all the tables were practically full; or the tables were full with people that did not look as if they would appreciate a person's presence. But one table caught her eye: sitting at the table was one boy and three girls. One of the girls looked to be familiar... Oh! It was the Gryffindor prefect, as shown by the badge on the girl's coat, but Rhea did not know her name. They were all gathered around the table and were conversing in low tones, so Rhea figured she could approach them. When she reached them, she noticed the other Gryffindor girl was looking just a bit crowded and uncomfortable, so she made sure not to stand too close to her so as to not crowd her even more. 

"Hey, my name's Rhea Bishop. Can I sit here?" Rhea didn't wait for an answer and instead pulled up a chair and sat down, plopping her textbook in front of her. She knew that she was being blunt, but it was in her nature and she couldn't help it. "Is anyone here any good with Transfiguration? I'm having a bit of trouble and the professor said that if I don't pass the next test - which is tomorrow, might I add - then an owl will be sent home to my parents! And I can't have that. So, can anyone help?" Rhea stared expectantly out at the group. 

the trouble is, if you don't risk anything -- you risk more.
♕ℛ ♕
Strength: 9; Ability: 8; Control: 8; Stamina: 10

Adalacia listened to Mercer ramble with wide eyes, the smallest of smiles crossing her thin lips. He was funny, a kind of funny that she hadn't seen since her last night with her father who was also a rambler; and if she were being completely honest, she was also a heavy rambler. "It's not that much work." The young girl shrugged, setting her quill down so she could concentrate on the boy better. "It's fun at times, too. Organizing things is something I'm pretty good at." Which was true, she was a fast and efficient worker with a lot of experience in organization. Back home her parents had her organize the book shelves, the barns, the work rooms and well... Judd was only a baby and there was a lot of work that needed to get done when you lived on a ranch with hoards of Magical Creatures. 

"I wouldn't say I'm nerdy." She laughed, not offended in the least. It was truthfully something Adalacia would have said had she not been a Prefect herself. "Just really good at learning, and a fast learner too. You should definitely jump into the running next year, you'd probably be good at it." She laughed, something she hadn't done since she'd arrived at Hogwarts. 

However her high chiming laugh was cut off by a young Gryffindor girl approaching the table, taking up a seat before officially being invited (her bold motions piqued Adalacia's interest.) The Prefect  immediately recognized the red head, as it was her job to know her house mates as well as possible. The young girl seemed desperate, and when she went off about needing help with Transfiguration Adalacia knew she could help. Mercer claimed he couldn't, which wasn't surprising. Transfiguration was probably the hardest class Adalacia had so far, and not many students really understand its fundamentals as well as she did. If there was one thing Adalacia couldn't do, it was charms or flying. If anyone could help her out with that, they'd be a life saver. 

"I, uhm, I could probably help you." She piped up, a gentle dusting of pink rising to her cheeks as all eyes fell on her. She couldn't imagine how Mercer was feeling, surrounded by four chatty (save for herself, of course) girls. Then again, the Slytherin boy seemed very personable and not at all deterred by their chatter around him. "I mean don't take my word for it, but I'm pretty good with Transfiguartion. What is it that you're stuck on?" 

It was quite a mess at this table. The young boy seemed embarrassed about something she hadn't seem and the number of people, although quite little, was kind of overwhelming. His name was Mercer, as he had told the girls. Another girl, whose name was Adalacia but Lacy for short, seemed shy, but sweet. She was a Gryffindor, a Prefect too, which put her in a higher position than all of them but she didn't act like it.

The Ravenclaw seemed quite tough and straightforward, but she was also very pretty. Peach didn't know her name yet. The young Slytherin invited all of the girls to sit with him, and so Peach did so. She pulled a chair towards the empty spot and sat down, putting her book down gently on the table. She hadn't said a word since asking for permission to sit with them, as she preferred to let everyone else talk. They were talking about being prefects, and the jobs that it involved and how much fun it was. The young Hufflepuff was listening in silence, smiling lightly. She hadn't given her name yet, and nobody asked for it so she would present herself later, she thought. 

Mercer and Lacy were talking lively when a young girl, that Peach recognized as being Rhea, sat down next to them. "Hey, my name's Rhea Bishop. Can I sit here? Is anyone here any good with Transfiguration? I'm having a bit of trouble and the professor said that if I don't pass the next test - which is tomorrow, might I add - then an owl will be sent home to my parents! And I can't have that. So, can anyone help?". peach looked at her textbooks, that she had blatantly plopped down on the table and she read on it the word Transfiguration. She was okay at it, not perfect. Her strong subjects were Astronomy and DADA, but not so much into charms and changing things into other things, although it seemed like a fun idea.

Lacy proposed herself to help with the new comer's trouble and Peach moved her chair a little so that the two girls could be closer together. She ended up sitting in front of Mercer and she gave him a sweet smile. 

"Hi, my name is Peach."

Reducio
Rhea, as our characters are already rping at the lake I thought we might as well just make them already know each other here :)

hungry ghosts and book thiefs

Rhea felt that she was intruding on the group, but she knew that she had to. If she got another T on the exam, the professor would send an owl to her parents. And that would be quite a disaster - mostly because Rhea still hadn't told them she'd gotten into Gryffindor. 

The table was growing to be a bit crowded, but Rhea didn't mind. She was used to crowds and interacting with a lot of people at the same time. The blonde boy introduced himself to be Mercer, and she saw that he was in Slytherin. She recognized one of the other girls to be Peach, which she had met a bit ago. She smiled softly at Peach before turning her attention to the rest. She felt that this was the only table that would be willing to help her not fail Transfiguration - and she was right. The prefect, whose name she still had not learned, agreed to help her study. Rhea shot the brunette a smile filled with gratefulness. 

"Really, you can help? Thank you so much, I really couldn't have learned everything by myself," Rhea stated. The prefect's cheeks grew a little more red as attention fell on her when she agreed to help Rhea. "And as for what I don't understand... Well everything, really, but can we start with learning how to transform needles into feathers?"

the trouble is, if you don't risk anything -- you risk more.
♕ℛ ♕
Strength: 9; Ability: 8; Control: 8; Stamina: 10

Delilah quickly realised how out of place she was, she couldn't keep a hold of the conversation, they were originally on names so Delilah pitched in, "Umm... I'm Delilah, but I'm really bad at Transfiguration so I won't be of any help to you." She smiled a little before looking around, getting lost in the conversation again, at least she had met a few people, but she didnt think she could handle this many people all at once, she wasn't used to it at all. "If you would excuse me I would just be heading now." Delilah quickly stood up and wondered back to her original table. She let out a sigh she didn't know she was holding in and opened her book again. Studying Astronomy, that's what she had been doing before she decided to see if the boy was okay. Delilah got claustrophobic when it came to there being too many people around.

Her book was quite interesting but soon after she left the library to go back up to the commonroom, enjoying her own solitude at this moment, she was thankful she met all those people even if it was brief, but that was too much for her to handle.

Reducio
That's my way of saying I'll now be leaving this RP, sorry guys  :P