Library

Register
Sign in

Quidditch Queries  PV Amanda Sparrow 

Ellara Butler was a girl on a mission. The young witch, with her hair pulled back into a high ponytail and a head full of dreams, marched into the library, blocking out the painfully awkward moment from before when she'd accidentally knocked over an entire stack of books. Fortunately, a Ravenclaw boy and another Hufflepuff girl had been there for her, but ugh, talk about embarrassing! No, this time she'd remain coordinated - or as coordinated as she could be - and focus on the task at hand. Figuring out what this "Quidditch" concept was all about.

Though the First Year had yet to be at Hogwarts, or really a knowing occupant of the magical world, for all that long a period of time, she knew when she was missing out on vital information. In the last three or four days alone, she'd heard the word "Quidditch" mentioned at least thirty times! From what she understood, it was a magical sport where witches and wizards flew around on broomsticks and tried to throw the ball into one of the ring-shaped goals. There was a goalie, like in football, but also other aspects, like the player who had to chase a tiny golden ball to earn bonus points, and these other guys who would wack the big scary balls into other people. Her understanding was vague at best, but the idea of flying caught her interest, and with the looming possibility that the school's Quidditch season could begin at any moment, she thought it best to study up.

So, off into the library she went, hoping this time, she'd have a bit more luck when navigating the vast sea of shelving around her. There was no way that Ellara would go anywhere near the creepy librarian unless she was forced to, so it looked like she'd be on her own! The young Hufflepuff navigated her way through the various bookshelves, scanning for some sort of pattern. There were titles on Potions, Hexes, Magical Creatures, Histories, and also just random fictional novels. Despite her lack of success, Ellara was undaunted. She'd complete her goal... she just needed to get a bit creative.

Fortunately, as she rounded the next corner, Ellara spotted a Ravenclaw girl hunched over a desk, no doubt answering homework questions or studying for an upcoming exam in one of her classes. Not wanting to interrupt, but also not wanting to leave without finding out what she needed, Ellara finally walked over and tapped the girl's shoulder, offering her a dazzling smile as she began her attempt at convincing for help. "Hi! Super sorry to interrupt you, but you looked like you may know your way around here a bit... I'm Ellara, a Hufflepuff First Year, and I'm looking for some information on Quidditch?"

“Just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it’s not there. Sometimes you just have to have heart in what you believe in.” ~Ellara Butler

Essays were the worst. Amanda had never met someone who liked doing essays. I mean, there’s probably someone out there who does, but that sure as hell isn’t me. She sighed and continued to work of her Defence Against the Dark Arts essay.

Amanda felt a tap on her shoulder and looked up, slightly annoyed. Her annoyance went away, though, as she saw that it was simply a friendly girl asking for help. “Hey Ellara. I’m Amanda, a second year Ravenclaw, and at your service.” She smiled at Ellara, turning her body around in her chair as to give the girl her full attention. “And as for Quidditch, you’ve come to the right girl. What was it you wanted to know?”

Amanda loved Quidditch, there was no doubt about it. She wasn’t currently on the Ravenclaw team, but she kept telling herself that one day she'd make it. Ever since she was a toddler, she and her siblings would get on their toy brooms, racing around the yard and pretending that they were professional Quidditch players, tossing around plastic balls. Amanda smiled at the memory, slowly drifting back to the present. She missed the carefree days of her younger childhood.

“Oh, I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.”
~ Amanda Sparrow ~

She practically sighed in internal relief, thankful the Ravenclaw girl hadn't been all too mad upon her request. She'd spotted the flash of annoyance in her eyes before recognizing it was just Ellara asking for help, but still... That essay must be pretty important if she's that stressed out about it. Then again, this was a Ravenclaw they were talking about, so maybe it was just her normal personality!

Ellara rocked back on her heels, contemplating what she wanted to ask about the subject. There were so many different possibilities! She should probably start with understanding how the sport actually worked... but then what were these crazy field trips they'd be going on in a week or so? And when would the school be hosting Quidditch? Had this Ravenclaw girl ever played before, and if so, did her team win? Naturally, Ellara wasn't about to bombard Amanda with all of these questions at once, so where to begin...?

Asking what exactly Quidditch was seemed to be the way to go, so, she settled down into the chair adjacent to the Ravenclaw Prefect and began to explain her predicament. Well, I come from a non-magical family, and so I never really had the whole Quidditch game growing up. So many people are talking about it... and I just feel like I'm missing out on all the fun!" At this point, she was practically ranting, but for some reason, she felt as if the Ravenclaw girl wouldn't mind too much. She went on a whole side tangent, discussing this and that, and finally concluded with, "So could you explain how the game works for starters? Like, the different name positions, scoring, and the likes."

“Just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it’s not there. Sometimes you just have to have heart in what you believe in.” ~Ellara Butler

Amanda nodded. “Sure, I can help you with that. Also, if you really want to get into the nitty gritty details, there’s a book called Quidditch Through the Ages that you can check out or you could talk to the Flying professor, Professor Ryker.” She closed her textbook, sticking her essay inside to mark her spot, and pushed it aside.

“There are seven positions on a team: three Chasers, two Beaters, one Keeper, and one Seeker. There are also seven other players on each team that serve as substitutes. Chasers are like the offense in soccer, if you’ve ever played. They pass the Quaffle, a red ball about the size of saucer, to each other and try to score goals, which are worth ten points each. Beater whack around two black balls, one for each team I believe, with bats and try to knock players on the opposite team off of their brooms. The Keeper is basically the goalie. They try to block the Quaffle. The Seeker, however, is a different position all together in my opinion. The Seeker has to try to catch this small golden ball called the Snitch with wings that flies around the pitch. When one of the Seekers catches the Snitch, the match ends and their team is awarded one hundred and fifty points.” Amanda paused to shoo away a fly that was buzzing around her face.

“I’m not going to fully explain the in-game rules, as I’m a little iffy on them myself. But to give you a general idea, they’re a lot like the rules of Muggle sports. You know, stay within the boundaries, you may call time outs, don’t be too rough, and that sort of thing.”
Amanda stopped there, running our of breath a bit from talking so much. “Did that help answer your questions any?

“Oh, I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them.”
~ Amanda Sparrow ~

Ellara nodded slowly as Amanda explained, getting the basic gists of the sport. Seven positions, three different balls. Try not to drop anything, stay within the bounds, unless you're a seeker, and then there ARE no bounds, yadada. It made enough sense to her, and would definitely make a lot more sense what she got to attend the Hufflepuff viewing party for the World Cup!

The Hufflepuff girl took note of asking Professor Ryker, an idea she was surprised hadn't already occurred to her before! Quidditch Through the Ages also sounded pretty interesting. She'd never been one much for history books, but if it helped... it helped. Ellara made a few sounds along the lines of "Mhm..." or "Yeah!", while Amanda spoke, wondering how big the Ravenclaw girl's lungs could be! If Ellara had a watch, she'd probably time the whole speech at around three minutes. That had to be a world record or something.

Of course, Ellara couldn't be annoyed by Amanda's rapid speaking, considering it was her who had gone to interrupt her essay-writing to ask for help in the first place. She finally nodded slowly as Amanda asked if she understood. "I think it all makes enough sense," she replied. "Do you think you could tell me where to track down that Quidditch book?"

Amanda was relieved that she wasn't speaking too quickly for Ellara. People tended to usually ask her to slow down, which Amanda found to be annoying. When Ellara asked about the book, Amanda gestured towards the shelves. "Somewhere in the library. The author's name is Kennilworthy Whisp, if I'm not mistaken. It's actually a really cool book, but then again, I am somewhat of a magical history nerd." Amanda grinned. Her twin, Johnny, often teased her about her liking for History of Magic, a subject that he found to be dreadfully boring. Johnny enjoyed the more active classes, like Charms and Defence Against the Dark Arts. Amanda enjoyed those classes too, but her top favorites were History of Magic and Astronomy.

Amanda's eyes averted to her copy of The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection and she sighed dejectedly. "Well, I suppose that I should probably get back to my essay. It's not going to write itself, sadly. It was nice talking to you, though," she said, smiling at Ellara. "Thanks for giving me an entertaining distraction. It was just what I needed to cure my boredom." She grabbed her textbook and opened it to page that she had marked, pulling out her essay. "Don't be a stranger. Feel free to come talk to me anytime."

~ Amanda Sparrow ~