Library

Register
Sign in

Mother Tongue  pv Mina H 

In order to not get a detention you have to do your homework (quite obviously); and the one place many of Hogwarts' students elect to go to when they have to study or do their homework is The Library. Just like a lot of other students, Jimin had decided that today he would get some of his homework done, and study in case any tests would come up soon.

Just as a library should be, everything was quiet; except for the occasional tapping of quill or muttering, or a small whisper to a friend, or the turning of a page. Although he didn't want to be in the Library to study, and would much rather come to get a book he would willingly read, Jimin still trudged inside, pulling the long sleeves of his dark green knitted jumper down his hands.

After finding a peaceful table by a window, which showed the sun rays breaking in and lighting up the wooden tabletop, Jimin sat down, slinging his bag on the back of his chair and taking out his quill, ink, textbooks and other essentials in order to study.

Everything seemed in order and ready. Until Jimin looked through his books to find some of the books he needed to take notes from were absent. With a small frustrated huff of breath, Jimin pushed out his chair quietly and strode off to the many shelves to look for the books.
Last edited by Jimin Kim on 11th November 2018, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mother Tongue  pv Mina H 

*  *:・゚ ┊ ┊
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ * ⠀˚✧ ⋆。˚☁
MINA HAN WAS VERY TIRED INDEED, as she trudged into the library with a long, drawn-out yawn. It was one of those yawns that made your eyes water at the sheer intensity. Stepping foot into the library wasn't a rare event, per se, for the young girl, but she had only ever entered it to read the occasional book. Or, if she was in a terrible rush to complete her assignments, she miserably scrambled in to claw away at any book that had any correlation to the topic. But today, today was a very rare day, very much so. And that was because Mina Han was not procrastinating, and decided, though she was very sleepy, to skip out on her sweet, sweet naps she'd take after classes; to instead trade them in to study.

The Library was the quietest place on campus, she thought. She enjoyed the library the most for that very fact. Though she didn't hate people, she surely hated the noisy crowds that took up most of the school. Mina eyed the tables cautiously; most of them were occupated. She quailed at the thought of having to sit next to people she didn't know, so she continued on. After a few moments, she successfully found an empty desk besides a rather sunny window and dumped her belongings onto the surface. She nearly cheered out loud for her discovery but held back with a bite to the inside of her cheek. Deciding shortly that she needed more references to continue her studies, she stood up and continued towards a narrow row of bookcases.

She nearly reeled back once she found someone else was in the particular section, looking down towards some few selected books. However, she forced herself to continue on, Mina needed desperately to study. She'd push her worries back for now. Her dark, frizzy, ebony head was cast downwards so she wouldn't have to glance at them awkwardly. But, under her terms of luck, she bumped straight into the person (as she was too preoccupied staring at her feet.) She let out a small, squeaky sorry, cringing at the sound of how her voice carried. She glanced up reluctantly, her slanted dark brown eyes that peeked up at the person between whispy bangs, blown up in horror as if she just performed the most terrible act on Earth.
✧ ✧
Last edited by Mina Han on 12th November 2018, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“These violent delights have violent ends” — Friar Lawerence, Act 2 Scene 6
Romeo and Juliet
STR 6 || AGIL 8 || CTRL 6 || STAMI 9 || encyclopedia

Mother Tongue  pv Mina H 

As he passed the different shelves to the section he needed to be in, Jimin muttered thoughts in his native language; such as what he would be eating after, if he would even eat, what time would he finish? Jimin turned into the section and allowed his eyes to browse the spines of the books.

Finally, he spotted a few titles that he recognised from class and pulled them out of their space, cramping in between other books. Just to be sure, Jimin flipped through each book and skim the blurb in the back of them. He did have to put a few books back, and get a few more, but they all seemed fine to use.

Just as he was shutting a book, deciding to go back to the desk, he felt something heavy hit his side. Worry growing in his face, Jimin turned around. And there was a short girl facing the floor. She was who had bumped into her; well, no one else could have. Maybe a ghost but... anyway, she seemed hurt.

Jimin stepped forward. "Ar- Are you okay?" he asked, stumbling on his words at first because he was not sure it was the correct sentence. "Are you hurt?"

Mother Tongue  pv Mina H 

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ * ⠀˚✧ ⋆。˚☁
SUDDENLY THE LIBRARY WAS VERY LOUD. Overwhelming so. The irregular thrum, thrum, thrum in her ears only got louder and louder; she scarcely caught what they said.

—Alright?

Mina nodded in reply, unable to form words. Her tongue feeling very useless and heavy in her mouth. She stood there for a moment, stiff and unmoving as if she were waiting for something. She opened her mouth several times, but before she could say anything at all, she turned and left.

She got rather far before she seemed to change her mind. Rigidly, she turned, pushed her glasses upwards and said, as loudly as she could muster; “S—Sorry.
Her voice carried throughout the space just as she did, insecure and awkward and cracking away at the slightest. She cringed inwardly and turned extremely red. The thrum grew louder and louder, suffocating. Briefly, understandably to her, she decided that she should maybe leave.

I—I’m going to—uh…” she began, softly, “Leave, I guess.

Then she shuffled away, her face burning up; and the unsteady thrum of her heart giving her the terrible feeling of wanting to throw herself from the highest staircase that existed in Hogwarts. She began to gnaw on the insides of her cheeks and wrung out her hands.

Stupid, stupid, stupid,” she muttered in her mother tongue, something she would rarely do, but found herself doing more in Hogwarts. “‘Go to the library’, I said. ‘Might be good for you’, I said...

✧ ✧

Romeo and Juliet

Mother Tongue  pv Mina H 

All that Jimin could hear was a stuttering, muffled sorry before the girl hurried away. She ran off out of the library, and the only thing Jimin could think of to do was run after her.

"Hey!" he said, trying to get the girl's attention. Did he scare her? In Jimin's mind, he didn't come off as scary. "I am sorry if I scared you!"

Finally the girl stopped, and she said something quietly. Jimin heard.

And the phrase was in a language he was very familiar with. He wasn't sure how he hadn't noticed it at the start, maybe because as soon as her looked at her she took off, but she was Korean!

He thought his reaction a bit weird, but Jimin smirked fairly proudly, covering it with his hand so he didn't seem strange or frightening. Through the chatter of the corridors, he could still make out what the girl had said, and decided to respond in the same tongue.

"I don't think you're stupid; don't worry about what you did because... nothing bad happened," Jimin had said in Korean, walking up to the girl.

In hopes of cheering her up, and to ideally give her confidence, Jimin smiled; he smiled his unique, rectangular smile. Whenever his father was feeling unhappy, Jimin would show him that smile because he knew it always made him feel more comfortable.

Of course, a box-looking smile doesn't make everyone happy, or feel some sort of joyous emotion.

Jimin just really wished the girl would like his smile, because then he would perhaps seem strange for giving a stranger a weird smile.

Mother Tongue  pv Mina H 

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ * ⠀˚✧ ⋆。˚☁
HIS SMILE WAS BEAUTIFUL, she thought, glancing up between wispy bangs and dark eyelashes. When he spoke, now that the pounding in her ears ceased, she felt sudden familiarity; more so when she looked back and remembered his accent. Mina glanced at his smile for a moment longer, the sudden urge to tug at his cheeks, tempting. Yet, her hands stayed by her sides and a frown was plastered over her features.

I’m sorry that I worried you or something… I feel like I did. And thanks. Thanks for not thinking I’m stupid or whatever.” Her words, yet again, were in her mother tongue, sensing that the boy did better knowing the meaning behind them. And though quiet, and a bit harsh in tone, she seemed grateful. Her eyebrows were knitted together, and she wrung her hands out in nervousness.

Then quieter, “Your smile.

She wrung out her hands once more, “It’s nice, I guess.

She stood there biting away at her cheek before speaking again, once in hurried English, “OhgoshIalmostforgotmystuff,” and again, in a mix of Korean and English (in a flurry of thoughts,) “Sorry, sorry. It was rude of me to not have introduced myself before... Mina Han. You?

✧ ✧

Reducio
this color means she's speaking in korean just in case of confusion.

Romeo and Juliet

Mother Tongue  pv Mina H 

Tilting his head slightly, Jimin waited for an answer or reaction, anxiety growing in his stomach, which let off uncomfortable butterflies. Finally, the Korean sentence he was waiting to hear came out; it wasn't the exact words, but at least she understood what he had said and gave a reply back in a more familiar language.

His eyes examined her face; she had good-looking hair that seemed to be taken care of pretty well, and dark eyes that seemed to hold millions of emotions -- and Jimin couldn't figure out which emotion that was -- but her mouth showed she didn't seem quite happy.

After her first sentence, which was a thank-you and also an apology, Jimin calmed down slightly. Though he was timid and unsure whether she was happy or not, he felt that what she was saying was truthful.

A compliment escaped the girl's lips. Well, Jimin was confused as to whether or not it had been a compliment, as it had started off nice but ended rather vague. Despite the meaning behind the compliment, Jimin bowed gratefully, uttering a 'thank you' in his first language.

After some seemingly-worried and hurried words in English, the girl introduced herself.

Perhaps she had liked Jimin enough to give him some insight on who she was, or maybe she just minutely approved. At least he had a name that he could call her.

Mina.

Jimin smiled and nodded, thinking of a polite way to introduce himself. "I like your name very much, Miss Mina," he said in the same language, bowing his head. "My name is Jimin Kim."

When he was about to ask 'and you are?', he bit his tongue and mentally scolded himself. After thinking about it for a moment, Jimin couldn't remember the last time he introduced himself to someone; and wondered if Mina had changed her mind about introducing herself.

Still, he wore a respectful smile, absent-mindedly playing with the bottom of his jumper, and going through all the lessons his father taught him about being social in his mind. He just prayed he wouldn't say something terribly awkward.

Mother Tongue  pv Mina H 

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ * ⠀˚✧ ⋆。˚☁
SHE ALWAYS HAD A HABIT OF COMING OFF AS TOO IMPOLITE. As she glanced at his face, his reaction to her words, she wondered if she came off as just that. She nearly jumped out of her skin when he bowed, expecting him much rather give her a sour look and walk away. She wanted to bow back, for some reason, but her body wouldn’t move for her.

After she introduced herself, she waited nervously for his name, wondering if he would change his mind, and decide to leave her too. She twirled and tugged at the ends of her hair, until—

...Jimin Kim.

Mina looked up, mostly out of surprise, but even more so of relief. This was also the first time Mina had a good look at his face. Unlike her's, and many other first years she had encountered thus far, his face wasn’t round. It was built maturely, and now that she noted it, he had a voice to follow. Deep, but not the type of deep that would ensue trepidation or demand for dominance, in her opinion, it was a nice type of ‘deep’, calming, not overbearing and scary.
She took notice to the kind smile he wore, Mina wanted nothing more to match it but knew better; she’d probably look like a strangled fish if she did. His eyes were much like two sets of dark night skies, they weren’t cold nor empty, but hid away his many thoughts and emotions. They were endless.

Something else was settled into those eyes, she dared search deeper for what the emotion could’ve been, but then noticed that that emotion, well, action, was anticipating. Mina, noticing that she might’ve been looking for too long, traded her straying stares for her worn sneakers below her. Then, she continued her introduction, realizing, that under her nervousness she forgot to do the rest.

S—Sorry,” She began, “First Year. Hufflepuff. From London but originally from Jinhae-gu South Korea. Uhm… that’s—that’s it I think… Y—You?

Mina’s sentences were choppy, much like a malfunctioning robot would speak. Wincing visibly at how her sentences spoke themselves, she wanted only for the floor to eat her up. Would it? If she asked nicely? It was Hogwarts after all, maybe if she did ask enough it would just fold over her and take her away from her awkwardness.

Mina bit her lip and tugged at her hair, her eyes flicked between Jimin and her shoes before she added:

Also—Uh—I—I really meant it when I said your smile was pretty—I mean! When I said it was n—nice.

✧ ✧

Romeo and Juliet

Mother Tongue  pv Mina H 

After his introduction of name, Jimin waited for a bit. This newly-met girl seemed almost glued to the spot, only breathing and blinking; although she spoke Korean, perhaps she had been born in England, and this was a custom in England?

But Jimin's thoughts were answered, as if Mina had read his wandering mind, when she spoke again. It began with an apology, but continued with details about her age, house and where she was from.
Although he was listening, he had a thought that could be somewhat offensive, depending on the type of person he thought about, and it was about how much this girl was apologising.
Either she was just very polite and respectful, had a somewhat strange habit, or was quite anxious and worried about many things. Jimin couldn't figure out which.

To maintain a smooth conversation, Jimin began to think of a good way to structure his sentence. He wasn't usually the best at being social and at communicating but he felt different at the moment; when first coming to Hogwarts, he expected no one to know his language, and that he wouldn't fit in because he wasn't Caucasian, but meeting Mina today made him feel more comfortable.

Honestly, Jimin couldn't put his finger on the reason he felt more happy, but he was just glad he didn't feel as secretive.

Opening his mouth to continue his introduction, as his new acquaintance had done, something came out her mouth. Butterflies spawned in his stomach, fearing whether or not this sentence would be positive.
But when it was clarifying the compliment about his smile, the butterflies cleared off.

A much smaller smile appearing, Jimin bowed once again, muttering a thank you.

Perhaps she was warming up to him, unless she was lying and just trying to not make it obvious, but surely, he thought, he would notice if she wasn't being honest.

Leaving the rest of his introduction for a moment, incase the girl was to say anything more. After finding nothing else to be said, he continued:
"I am also in my First Year, yet am Slytherin, which I don't- I don't understand why. Um-- I am from Daegu, South Korea, but am currently in London until the end of the year," he replied, feeling his mouth becoming dry.

He hadn't stumble on his words since talking to someone in English, and seemed completely confident whilst talking. Why was he cowering away now?