Library

Register
Sign in

Grumpy  PV Beckett    Ended 

Private with Anastasia Beckett.

Morning, September 6th, 2018

Marian was sad. she had recently sent a letter home telling her family she was in Hufflepuff, and now her annoying younger brother had sent a teasing letter back. It wasn't a howler, that would have been less painful. The letter said:
Dear Marian,
So you are a Hufflepuff. I told you. I said "Anyone who says that they are a Gryffindor is obviously a Hufflepuff." It's funny that just a couple months ago you would say to anyone who defended Hufflepuffs "They're just potatoes. Helga Hufflepuff took the ones who wouldn't fit in any other houses." So you weren't brave enough for Gryffindor?
Your GRYFFINDOR brother,
Evan
Wouldn't it be funny if he was a squib, Marian thought scathingly. She ripped up the lettter into tiny shreds, seeing how small she could make it. She often did this when she was fidgety. She went through the rows of books in the library, looking for an interesting book to read. She grabbed one off the shelf and walked back to her spot, reading the book. She accidentally passed her spot, but she kept walking. The library was big, and one section looks a lot like another, so she sat down at the wrong table and kept reading.
Last edited by Marian Lynch on 2nd September 2018, 5:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Stamina- 4 Strength-5 Agility-6 Control-5
ArcPower- 4 Accuracy-6
Marian Lynch

Anastasia had finally gotten a letter back from her parents. She had been worried when she hadn't heard back right away, especially considering what she had written. A part of her had been worried they would never write her back. She'd been so thrilled and at the same time scared to get the letter that she had immediately left the Owlery and been almost to the Library before she realized where she was going. She thought for a moment, and then decided on the Library after all. Her common room would be too loud, and she didn't want to be completely alone when she read it. 

She sat down at a table that only had one other girl sitting there before opening the envelope. She carefully peeled up the Beckett seal, making certain not to damage it in any way.  She took a deep breath and unfolded the letter. She took in her mother's familiar script before actually beginning to read the letter. 
Anastasia - 
We are most disappointed. Both in the Sorting Hat's decision and in yours. It is widely known that the Hat does know what house you truly belong in, but does take your opinion into account. Based on this, there must have been a part of you that truly wanted to be in Gryffindor. All we can advise you to do now is make certain your house does not begin to rub off on you. The very last thing any of us want is another Amelia. 
Looking forward to your response,
Oliver and Athena Beckett
Anastasia sighed as she finished the letter. It hadn't been as bad as she had expected, but it wasn't exactly what one wanted to receive from one's parents. After all, her mother had practically threatened to disown her. Not how she wanted them to take the news. She blinked hard several times to banish any tears from her eyes. She was regretting her choice to read this in public, but there wasn't much she could do about it now. 

I only act like I know everything. Maybe I'm scared that someone will find out I don’t. Stats - Strength: 5, Agility: 6, Control: 12, Stamina:7

Marian flinched a bit when the girl sat down next to her and started reading her letter. Why had she not read it at breakfast when the mail came? She didn't need to barge into Marian's personal space! Marian wordlessly scooped her scraps of paper into her hand and walked over to a nearby bin. She eptied her hands over the bin and then went to the shelves. Marian loved the shelves. She loved looking at the big wall filled of books filled with sentences, which were full of words, which were full of letters. The shelves were also a place to hide, when you wanted to be alone in the maze of books.
Marian still was amazed by Hogwarts. But after all, she had only been there six days. The six days she had been there had been packed with lots of action and very hard classes.

Marian was in the shelves looking for a good book to read, (there were many) and when she found a book that looked good, she walked back to a different (but close) table. She started reading the book. It was nonfiction, yet written like fiction. She had read the whole seiries, but she was rereading the first book.
Last edited by Marian Lynch on 2nd September 2018, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArcPower- 4 Accuracy-6
Marian Lynch

Anastasia blinked a few more times to make certain her tears were gone for the moment. She then folded up her letter and stuck it in her pocket. She had homework to do, and she couldn't afford to think about her parents' stinging words right now. She pulled out her books and began to work on a History of Magic essay she'd been assigned that day. Her head shot up as the other girl who was sitting at the table got up and left. Anastasia hoped that the girl hadn't left because she had sat down there, but it wasn't like she had been terribly disruptive or anything. 

She got the first bit of her essay written, but then she saw the same girl sit down at a different table. So, she had left because Anastasia had sat there! Anastasia quite wondered why. If she had known the girl and disliked her, or if she'd been especially loud while she was sitting down, she would have understood, but she couldn't think of any reason that the girl would want to leave. Normally, she wouldn't have given it anymore thought, but she was stinging from her parents' letter and a bit wanting to prove to herself that she was worth something. Anyway, she had grown up with people fawning over her, so the idea that someone just won't want to be around her was a bit foreign to her. "Pardon me," she whispered, already wondering if this was the best idea. "Did I do something to make you want to leave the table?

I only act like I know everything. Maybe I'm scared that someone will find out I don’t. Stats - Strength: 5, Agility: 6, Control: 12, Stamina:7

The Gryffindor first year Marian had been sitting near obviously was offended when marian moved to a different table, so she had come over and had asked:
"Pardon me, did I do something to make you want to leave the table?"
Marian really hated this kind of polite insult. Why ask a question if you already know the answer? Marian could tell that this girl was used to people liking her, maybe she didn't know that rude people lived in our world, too. Had she been oblivious every time someone had been rude to her? Not that Marian was trying to be rude, she was just tired and grumpy, and, well, you don't want to annoy Marian in any way when she's grumpy, or your relationship with her might never heal.

A pure-blood, that was obvious. A rich one too, because of her clothes and attitude, the girl acting like she was a queen.

Someone not wanting to be near her must be a new idea for her, she's probably spoiled, Marian thought scathingly.

Now it was time to answer the girl's question.
"Yes. You sat down at my table, invading my personal space. people usually go to the library to get away."

Marian could tell that her and this girl were not on the way to becoming friends.
Last edited by Marian Lynch on 16th September 2018, 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

ArcPower- 4 Accuracy-6
Marian Lynch

Yes. You sat down at my table, invading my personal space. people usually go to the library to get away.

Anastasia mentally recoiled but her polite smile hardly wavered. Just who did this girl think she was? Anastasia was a Beckett, meaning she was from one of the most well respected and wealthy Purebloods in the Wizarding community right now. Normally, there were people dying to sit at the same table as Anastasia. She quite expected that would be the case within a few weeks. In any event, even if Anastasia hadn't been someone who was known to be quite lovely company, it was quite rude to speak to anyone like this. 

"Oh, I'm quite sorry. I simply didn't see your name written on a table that had three empty seats. What a silly mistake of me," Anastasia said, her eyes cold and her smile unmoving. Honestly, if Anastasia had been particularly loud or talkative or taken up too much space, she would have understood the reaction, but she hadn't done anything! She hadn't even taken out her books or anything - she'd just sat there and read her letter. She didn't feel like continuing this conversation with this rude girl, seeing as she had homework to do, so she tossed her hair over her shoulder and flounced back to her table. 

Reducio
No worries at all! I've been slower than normal with school starting and all that. 

Marian's face became red as the girl started talking sarcastically. Even if she was spoiled, she should know a thing or two about kindness, right? Marian wanted to say something, so she stood up so suddenly her chair toppled over behind her. This girl was in for a talking to. Hands on the table, Marian started talking before Anastasia reached her table.

"I'm sorry, miss spoiled pureblood. I didn't think someone was going to come and sit at one of the only occupied ones. Just because your mummy and daddy adore you, doesn't mean everyone else will, too."

Marian usually gave this kind of talking to Slytherins, but it was rare case when she gave one to a Gryffindor.

Marian sat down and pretended like nothing happened, though really she was wading waist-high in a sea of guilt from saying such mean things. She tried to block out her words from her mind, but as hard as she might try, she could not unsay what she had said. She took out her hair from her usual ponytail as to hid the tears swelling up in her eyes.

She knew she would have to apologize eventually, but now was not the time.

ArcPower- 4 Accuracy-6
Marian Lynch

I'm sorry, miss spoiled pureblood. I didn't think someone was going to come and sit at one of the only occupied ones. Just because your mummy and daddy adore you, doesn't mean everyone else will, too.
Anastasia glanced back over her shoulder and laughed at the girl's attempt at an insult. She knew that by some people's tastes, she was rather spoiled, but she wasn't ashamed of it or hurt by someone pointing it out. It would be comparable to someone trying to say "Oh, you have brown hair" as an insult. It wasn't a good or bad attribute, just a fact. 

As for the part about her parents adoring her, she wanted to laugh and then start crying. Oh, if only the girl knew. If she knew that Anastasia's parents never hugged her or said that they were proud of her or that they loved her. If she knew about the contents of the letter sitting on the desk. If she knew about any of those things, she would eat her words. 

"Your cutting wit is simply and utterly devastating," Anastasia told the girl dryly. " I mean, really, a stranger judging me based on my looks and calling me spoiled is going to haunt me for the rest of my life." Anastasia was in a foul mood due to the stupid letter, and because of that, was much more sarcastic than she normally was. The sarcasm was something of a defense mechanism. 

She sat back in her seat and got writing her essay. After all, she'd been ahead on homework and getting all O's and she couldn't let that stop simply because of some harsh words from her parents. If she stopped everything and gave up every time her parents said that she wasn't enough or that they were disappointed in her, she would never get anywhere or do anything in life. 

Marian was relieved when the girl took barely any offense to what she said, but she still shouldn't have said it. It was not kind of her to judge others based on hteir looks, or make preasumptions. Marian was offended when Anastasia started talking sarcastically. There was sarcasm going around at her house on a regular basis, but none so painful as what Anstaisia said. Marian probably deserved it, but it was still painful.

Kill them with kindness. Kill them with kindness. How do I kill them with kindness?! Marian thought. After running through a couple options in her head she decided on this: give Anastasia a complement.

"You are very pretty," Marian said honestly, with no trace of sarcasm. If she wanted to be kind, she had to make sure Anastasia wouldn't think she was being sarcastic. She was pretty, so even better that Marian wasn't lying.

Marian looked back at what she was reading. After five seconds of reading, she found that it was very hard to concentrate, so she closed her book, put her head on the wooden table, and just thought. Sometimes thinking was a bad thing, she would remember all the bad things she had said or done, but if she tried to stay to a specific topic, it could be quite enjoyable.

ArcPower- 4 Accuracy-6
Marian Lynch

Anastasia noted that the girl looked a bit offended at her sarcasm. Why on Earth was that? If anyone had reason to be offended, it was Anastasia. After all, all she'd done was ask why the girl had left the table and then been mildly (for Anastasia, anyway) sarcastic in response to some rather rude and presumptuous remarks. Alright, maybe the remarks were basically true, but the girl didn't know that for sure since she had just met Anastasia. 
"You are very pretty,"
Anastasia arched an eyebrow, a bit taken aback at the non-sequitur. She'd just gone from calling her "Miss Spoiled Pureblood" to pretty. That made just about no sense. Out of all compliments, being called pretty rather irritated her. She preferred compliments on things she had to actually work for. Yes, she was objectively pretty, but she hadn't had to do anything to become so. Maybe she did her hair or wore particular clothing, but the fact that she was pretty had nothing to do with her. 

"So I've heard," Anastasia replied. That was another reason she didn't appreciate this particular compliment - she had to think of an acceptable response. When she was younger, she had just always agreed with whoever had said it, but obviously, she couldn't do it in this instance. She didn't like thanking people for that either since it wasn't really an accomplishment. So, she typically went with something along the lines of what she'd just said.  

The girl looked rather displeased rether than pleased. Sure, it had been a non-sequitur, but it was still a compliment, right? Marian was suprised further when the girl responded with a rather vain reply:

"So I've heard,"

What was that supposed to mean? You could at least try to sound a little humble, maybe by saying a simple "Thank you."

Realizing that she had been blankly staring at The girl, Marian brought her eyes to her book, not knowing how to respond. She could be rude and point out that the girl had just been veery vain, or she could ignore her and read her book. She couldn't read it, like before. Her eyes were reading the words, but her brain just wasn't taking it in.

Marian closed her book, then walked towards the shelves yet again. She put her book back and started to go out the library door, until her thoughts stopped her mid-step. She was going to apologize.

Marian dragged her feet to the girl's table. It was too late to back out now.
"Excuse me, I just wanted to say sorry for getting mad at you and yeling at you. I also didn't catch your name. What is it?"

ArcPower- 4 Accuracy-6
Marian Lynch

Anastasia figured the encounter was over after she replied to the girl's compliment and turned back to her homework. She still had to finish that essay, and she was remembering her parents' letter. How could they have done that? Threatened to disown her just because she was in Gryffindor instead of Slytherin? The idea seemed so odd to her that she almost didn't believe it was real. She pushed those thoughts to the back of her mind. She couldn't afford to think about that right now. She had homework to finish, and anyway, she couldn't very well start crying in the middle of the library. 

She looked up when she saw the girl approaching her table. She listened as the girl apologized, and waited a moment before she began to reply. "It's alright. I mean, it's not really my business where you choose to sit in the library and why," Anastasia said, smiling a bit. "And I'm Anastasia. What's your name?" She studied the girl. She wasn't quite sure what to think of her. She wasn't an enemy, for sure, since she had managed to swallow her pride and apologize, but was she a potential ally or friend? Time would tell. 

[quote]

The girl had not apologised. She. Had. Not. Apologised.

Why not? She had done just as much wrong as Marian, if not more! She should have apologised, but Marian tried to overlook it.

She did admire Anastasia for the way she held herself. She talked as though she was royal, her speech was very proper. She also, though rude, was kind in a way. Maybe it was the way she said her words.

Marian hated the girl, and yet, at the same time, she felt like they could be close friends.
Time would tell.

She decided to go away, but before she would have to answer the girl's question.

"My name is Marian Lynch," Marian replied, surprised that the girl had not told Marian her last name.

"I'm going down to my dormitories. I guess I'll see you around," Marian said, happy to be leaving. She wanted to spend some time alone. She planned to think of tomorrow, what she would be doing and how she planned to spend the day, but chances were, she would think of all the things she did wrong and what she should have done instead. She left the library and headed for her dormitories.

Marian has left the thread.

[quote]

ArcPower- 4 Accuracy-6
Marian Lynch