Library

Register
Sign in

A Rivalry of Sorts  Abandoned 

Becky loved libraries, in fact, they were just about her favorite place to be and she found herself oddly relieved that this hadn't changed in the wizarding world. It was comforting to be somewhere that connected her to the muggle world- of course, here the books floated down from shelves and among the biographies you would find the creator of the burping bogarts curse and other magic related topics, but it still felt nice. There were a few muggle topics too, a small selection of muggle authors had wormed their way onto the shelves through perserverance and dedication to their craft, however, most of the books were from a wizard's perspective, which was why Becky was venturing down this that aisle. She was in need of some good humour.

A few days previous, Becky had stumbled upon the most absurdly hilarious, supposedly "non-fiction" documentation of muggle life. She'd checked the book out and had had to stop reading for a good half hour as she rolled on her bed laughing at the mental images the author had fabricated as fact. It was a surprisingly good remedy for the homesick melancholy that had led her into the muggle reading section in the first place. Even needing to pause between reading sessions for fits of laughter, the book didn't last long and Becky was back to find another one with hopes that it would top the last.

After returning the book to library staff, Becky walked running her fingers along the spines of the books in search of a new read. There were a few she picked off the shelf, but after reading a page or two she wasn't convinced of their worthiness and set them back in their same spots. A book titled Muggles in Media looked promising to Becky, but just as she was beginning to ponder if she should take it out another book caught her eye. This beautiful, thick, shining, green furred book by a something Skeeter had to be worthwhile. Even the binding was ridiculous, on the spine of the book were two crooked, skewed crazy eyes with green felt hanging in front of each, catching in their lashes while they blinked. The book was titled What the Muggles See.

Becky definitely wanted to know what they see.

Sitting at a nearby table, Becky began to read. Just the first chapter had Becky holding a hand in front of her mouth, trying not to laugh as she choked on the breath she held in. This woman was crazy with a capital K. The last two lines were too much for Becky-

"And with their finger lenses they're able to see into the minds of wizards- or so they think! These delusions and tiny glimpses of the wizarding world are where their crazy tales of dolphin into ape evolution begin!

Becky cracked up laughing, trying to stifle herself by biting her hand as she wheezed. After a few moments she regained her composure, but realized that she should probably move to avoid someone yelling at her for being loud. Picking up her book, she quickly hurried around the corner of a shelf.

Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to the possibilities; truth isn't.

-Mark Twain

Anastasia was feeling utterly annoyed and a bit lost. So, she did what she always did when she felt out of sorts - find a good book and bury herself in it until she felt better. The obvious place to do so was the library, so that was where she went.

Anastasia had been anticipating and dreaming about the Hogwarts Library practically her entire life, but she was still completely thrilled and awed when she entered it for the first time. Her jaw dropped a little and she stopped short, taking it all in for a moment before remembering why she had come. She made a bee line for the small but still noteworthy section that was muggle authors. She’d never read a book that wasn’t written by a wizard or witch before, never even so much as seen one, so she’d been particularly excited about this.

She reached the section, her hands reverently brushing against some of the spines before setting on a book, Pride and Prejudice. She’d never heard of it, but the title made her think of her family, so she had to read it. She opened it and began reading right where she was. She had finished the first chapter when she realized how uncomfortable standing was making her. She kept reading and decided to find a seat, rounding a corner sharply with her nose still buried in her book.

I only act like I know everything. Maybe I'm scared that someone will find out I don’t. Stats - Strength: 5, Agility: 6, Control: 12, Stamina:7

Becky rounded the corner, maybe a little too fast in her eager attempt to get away from the scene of her crime, and crashed right into another student who had her nose burried in a book. As she collided, Becky's own book went flying into the air, but Becky was too preoccupied rebounding off this girl and banging her eye on the corner of a shelf to follow it's ark.

"Ah!" Becky shouted, the cry slipping from her throat without intention.

She fell hard on the floor, seeing stars behind her eyelid. What was with her, first the Ravenclaw Table food catastrophe and now this? Becky could already feel her eye swelling and she had a feeling that some ugly colors might spring up over the next few hours. Man, it really hurts, thought Becky, as she lightly touched the tender area. Her next thought was wondering which book the girl was reading. No, Becky scolded herself- that's not the focus right now.

Becky frowned firmly, she could take pain- she once broke her arm in four places, a fact that she sometimes bragged to other kids- but that doesn't mean she has to like it. Who was this girl, anyway? Becky knew what had been on her mind to have seemed so careless, but what was on this girl's?

Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to the possibilities; truth isn't.

-Mark Twain

Anastasia was suddenly thrown from the fascinating 18th century Muggle England, rather literally. Her book went flying from her hands as she was knocked to the ground. Anastasia wasn't exactly delicate, but she'd grown up an only child and wasn't particularly physically strong, so hitting the ground really hurt. "Ouch!" she exclaimed as her rear hit the ground in a most undignified manner. She glared fiercely at the girl, just before her book hit her in the head. Serves her right, Anastasia thought furiously. Who did this girl think she was? Barreling into other people like that? Honestly, nobody should be running around a library like that. Yes, Anastasia had come around the corner suddenly, but she hadn't been running or anything, in fact she'd been moving rather slowly. Just who was this girl?

Still scowling, Anastasia's eyes did a quick sweep of the room. She saw some Rita Skeeter book about Muggles, which just furthered her rage. No one actually read that old cow's writing anymore, which meant one of two things - either this girl actually liked her writing or was a Muggleborn who didn't know any better. Normally, Anastasia wasn't like her family when it came to Muggleborns. She knew that she as a Beckett was better than most other people, but she didn't particularly hate Muggleborns. That was when she was her normal, calm self. Right now, her hands and behind were smarting, and er pride was wounded. "Watch where you're going, Muggle," she snapped.

Reducio
OOC NOTE - Anastasia isn't a super purist person, but her family is and have tried to raise her to be the same. She'll be getting better about that as she matures

I only act like I know everything. Maybe I'm scared that someone will find out I don’t. Stats - Strength: 5, Agility: 6, Control: 12, Stamina:7

Becky had initially felt bad for running into this girl, but after assessing her glare, Becky's guilt ebbed away.
"Watch where you're going, Muggle," she snapped.
For a moment Becky opened her mouth in a gaping contempt. She knew being called a muggle was an insult, but Becky grew up in a world entirely populated by muggles. She was raised by them and to be one of them, so she felt more insulted by this girl's own contempt than of the insult itself. Besides, Becky knew she'd been walking a little fast, but it wasn't like she was sprinting- and if the girl had been looking where she was going, she might have seen Becky anyways.

"You're one to talk. You were too busy with your book to even look up!" Becky said, glaring back at her. Who was she to judge? "And if all wizards were as bratty as you, I'd rather be a muggle."

Becky pushed herself up off the ground, ignoring the woozy feeling in her head and the sharp pain that erupted behind her eye. She didn't want to look weak by showing just how much it hurt, but she had an inkling that she might need to pay a visit to the hospital wing.

-Mark Twain

The girl's gaping mouth rather remind Anastasia of a trout and also confirmed her theory about this girl being a muggleborn. She had met a few other muggleborns recently, and while they had certainly been far more amicable than this girl was, they had also been clearly not completely used to magic and the magical world. She stood and brushed herself off before picking up her book and making sure it was alright. This idiot clearly was new to this world because anyone who knew anything knew that Madam Pince would probably actually kill them if they harmed her books.
"You're one to talk. You were too busy with your book to even look up!" Becky said, glaring back at her. "And if all wizards were as bratty as you, I'd rather be a muggle."
"It's almost as if I'm in a bloody library! Oh, wait a moment. I bloody well am! And you might as well be a Muggle because even the most idiot Squib knows not to run around in a library," she hissed, her eyes flaming. She rather resented the fact her mother hadn't taught her any good hexes or jinxes as one would be extremely useful right about now. A part of her knew that she was taking her irritation at being placed in Gryffindor out on this girl, but the rest of her replied saying that she had just rudely barreled into her and not even apologized.
Last edited by Anastasia Beckett on 20th August 2018, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Becky took a deep breath. Her mind felt a bit fuzzy from hitting her head on the corner of the shelf and it took a greater effort to concentrate on staying standing than was probably okay. Her energy for anger was wearing thin and now she just felt like she wanted to sit down.

The other girl was clearly not in the same place.
"It's almost as if I'm in a bloody library! Oh, wait a moment. I bloody well am! And you might as well be a Muggle because even the most idiot Squib knows not to run around in a library," she hissed, her eyes flaming.
Trying to bring back her fire to match this other girl, Becky made an attempt glare, but her eye was now very swollen and it felt more like a grimace.

"You know, that's a good point, we are in a library. It's not as if there are such places to sit and read..." Becky lost her train of thought for a second, but quickly grasped it again, eager not to make more of a fool of herself, "Maybe I'll invent a place to rest your behind out of the way- I'll call it, a chair."

Her sarcasm didn't fuel her like usual, which only greatened her worry. Suddenly, this whole argument felt silly. She went to lean on a bookshelf, knowing they were fairly sturdy. She usually held library furniture with a regard, knowing that most librarians would readily kill for their books, but she couldn't even focus enough to make sure her book was okay.

Becky fell very quiet, and no longer held up the pretense that she was unhurt.

"For the record, I wasn't running," She said, but there wasn't any anger in her voice anymore. "I was probably walking a little fast, and I'm sorry for that, but it's not like I fell from the sky, okay?" She said, questioning rhetorically. "Anyway, that doesn't excuse saying things like that. If you're going to insult me, I'd prefer something more original than mocking about something that isn't even an insult- it's not anything. It just is."

Done with her mini-lecture, Becky sighed and hung her head. She needed to find somewhere to sit, she felt like there was a balloon in her eye and she had a feeling they were now very unfocused.

-Mark Twain

Anastasia noticed that the girl's eye was looking rather swollen where the book had hit her and felt a bit bad about the whole thing. She might have a newly formed, rather avid dislike of the girl, but that didn't mean she actively wanted to see the girl hurt or anything. Well, maybe a little. Anyway, she didn't fancy being as impolite to an injured person. Her anger was abating, and she still felt rather annoyed by the whole thing, but she wasn't as livid about it as she had been a moment ago. Not that any of that actually stopped her from continuing the argument. After all, it was a matter of pride, and one of Anastasia's biggest weaknesses was she never wanted to back down from a fight or argument, even if she knew she was wrong.
"You know, that's a good point, we are in a library. It's not as if there are such places to sit and read... Maybe I'll invent a place to rest your behind out of the way- I'll call it, a chair."
The girl's remarks weren't nearly as biting as they had been, and when the girl leaned on the shelf, Anastasia could tell that her eye was bothering her more than she had let on at first. "Where did you think I was going? I'm not some idiot who just frolics through the library with my nose in a book," Anastasia snapped, sounding more exasperated than angry.
"For the record, I wasn't running. I was probably walking a little fast, and I'm sorry for that, but it's not like I fell from the sky, okay? Anyway, that doesn't excuse saying things like that. If you're going to insult me, I'd prefer something more original than mocking about something that isn't even an insult- it's not anything. It just is.
If the girl thought Anastasia's rather restrained remarks about Muggles and Squibs were bad, she should hear an average day at the Beckett manor. The phrase "Mudblood" was used quite frequently and her parents had much more hateful things to say than what Anastasia might say to a girl she ran into at the library. "Being called a Muggle is an insult, genius," Anastasia told the girl, rolling her eyes. She hadn't insulted the girl's blood or anything, she had just called her what a common insult in the Beckett house was. If their house elf did something wrong, her father would say it might as well be a Muggle. When her mother made mistakes, even though her father didn't think she heard him behind that closed door, she could hear him scream the word "Muggle" at her. "It means that you aren't magical, and that you're thick enough to not even think that the Wizarding World is real." The statement didn't have the edge to it that Anastasia would have liked, but she hoped that the other girl wouldn't notice.

"Being called a Muggle is an insult, genius. It means that you aren't magical, and that you're thick enough to not even think that the Wizarding World is real."
Becky, who was a master in the art of an eyebrow raise, raised the eyebrow above her unswollen eye. Exhaustion had started to take over, but that didn't mean she had to limit the facial contortions that were still able to function.

"Several points," she began in a voice that could have been straight out of a civil debates classroom, if not for the thickness her words had started to aquire. She held three fingers up and began to count down. "One- intelligence has nothing to do with magical ability." One finger striked off, two remaining. "Two- you shouldn't comment on things you don't know about." Down to the last one, she said, "And three- judging from this wonderful book I was reading, a large portion of wizards are just as thick as the muggles who have been raised clueless in their world. Actually, more so! Because they know the muggle world exists but leave themselves ignorant in the pretense of their own superiority."

Becky let her finger drop and unconsciously brought her hand up to her eye as one's body parts sometimes gravitate toward injury. Becky felt really faint. She knew only her pride was keeping her on her feet. She'd begun to feel nauseous and there was an ever growing throb that was spreading out from her eye. Blinking, she realized yellow spots were clouding her vision. That's not good, she thought.

Remembering her argument, Becky heard her voice from far away, "Case in point- Muggle isn't an insult to me or anyone who knows what they're talking about."

Reducio
Becky wasn't hit with her book, sorry if that was confusing. When she hit Anastasia, Becky was thrown into the corner of the bookcase and fell onto her eye with much more force. I didn't mean for that to get lost in translation. Oops.

-Mark Twain

When the girl began babbling, Anastasia rolled her eyes so far back into her head that she expected to see her brain. Growing up a Beckett, she'd had countless lectures, which were barely tolerable coming from adults that she loved and respected, but it was ridiculous and offensive coming from another eleven year old. In fact, the only reason she even half listened was so she could tell the girl how stupid she was. 
One- intelligence has nothing to do with magical ability. Two- you shouldn't comment on things you don't know about. And three- judging from this wonderful book I was reading, a large portion of wizards are just as thick as the muggles who have been raised clueless in their world. Actually, more so! Because they know the muggle world exists but leave themselves ignorant in the pretense of their own superiority.
"Are you done now? Alright, one, I never said it did, so apparently, that's what you think. Two, what makes you think I don't know anything about it? And, three, wizards are quite obviously superior, because I bet a muggle like you was rather thrilled to find out she was going to Hogwarts and probably made sacrifices to be here," Anastasia snapped, still not willing to back down. She knew that the crash had been as much her fault as it had been the other girl's, but she wasn't willing to walk away. She felt a prang of guilt when the girl touched her eye. But if the girl wouldn't back down with a painful injury, then Anastasia certainly refused to do so. 
Case in point- Muggle isn't an insult to me or anyone who knows what they're talking about.
Anastasia rolled her eyes again. This girl was circling back around to the muggle thing so much that she was certain the girl was a muggle born, so that was good to know. "It bloody well is to wizards who know what they're talking about. Go call anyone in this school a muggle and see how they react," Anastasia replied.

Becky barked a shrill laugh, she had little patience and she knew she wasn't going to change this snotty girl's mind. "Well, at least I'm not so full of myself that I'm too caught up in my ego to see people for what they are," Becky snapped, this conversation was going nowhere and she didn't need to be reminded of what she'd given up to be at Hogwarts. She pushed herself up from her leaning position and began to look out of one eye for her book, trying to ignore the irritating girl. As she moved her head around she felt like there was a pool of pressure just behind her eye that was sloshing painfully around inside of her skull. She winced and clenched her jaw so tight that it began to hurt as well. As soon as she got out of the library, she was going to the hospital wing. Becky had a bad feeling that she needed medical attention.

Becky spotted her book under a table that had a green and purple plant dancing on top of it. She started to walk towards it and away from the girl, but as she began to walk a spike of pain shot through her eye. Just one more thing to ignore, she thought, I'm fine.

It was only a dozen steps away, but somehow that felt like a long trek to Becky as she walked. There was no way she was going to ask for help or engage with that awful girl, though, she refused. How embarrassing would that be? She thought. Only a few steps to go, and then she would get her book and go to the hospital wing.

Standing by the table, she bent down to get the book by Rita Skeeter, but as she leaned over her vision began to fill with red and a sharp slice of pain began to throb behind her eye. She thought her brain was going to explode. Becky grabbed her face and fell onto the floor. Her eye seared as she got to her knees, but she made no move to get up. She didn't think she could.

-Mark Twain

Anastasia rolled her eyes at the girl's words. She wasn't even listening that what Anastasia had said, and this argument was getting rather circular and boring. As much as Anastasia hated to walk away from a fight, she wasn't in the mood to continue what was a completely pointless and annoying argument. She could tell the other girl wasn't paying that much attention to their squabble either, so she figured she might as well walk away from it and not let the other girl have the satisfaction. 

As the girl pushed herself up off the shelf, Anastasia tossed her hair dramatically and began to walk away. Her mother had always said she had a flair for exiting in the most dramatic way possible, and she supposed that was true right about now. She began to walk away without looking back when she heard a loud clatter like something heavy or a person had fallen. Irritated at herself, she glanced over her shoulder and saw the other girl on the ground. Anastasia watched her for a moment, but when she saw the girl wasn't making any effort to get up, she sighed and turned back. Her father had always said she was a bit soft when it came down to it. She liked to think that it wasn't weakness so much as her actually having a heart. Her father was many things, but he was not a kind man. 

Reaching the other girl, she knelt beside her. Ugh, this was why she hadn't been sorted into Slytherin. Even though she still wanted to punch the girl in the face, she wasn't a completely awful person. "Do you need help getting to the hospital wing?" she asked, smiling tightly. If the girl said no, than Anastasia had done all that was expected of her. She rather expected the girl to say no, since, from what Anastasia could tell thus far, her pride was fairly important to her. 

As Becky sat on the floor clutching her eye, the girl came to kneel beside her.
"Do you need help getting to the hospital wing?" she asked, smiling tightly.
Becky never liked accepting help. At home, her and her mother would get into arguments which resulted in a silent fued that went on between them for several days. The longest they'd gone without speaking was a week and a half. The only reason Becky had even approached her mother to end their war was the distress her Grandmother had spun herself into. Pride, although a failing of hers, wouldn't be her fatal flaw. Some things are worth swallowing your pride for. Her Grandmother was one, her friends were another, and excessive pain was apparently something else to add to the list.

Becky barred her teeth, partially in embarrasment but mostly out of pain. The irony felt unreal to her. She hesitated for a second, but then felt ashamed that she'd consider letting this much of a stupid argument get in her way when she obviously needed help. She was surprised that the girl even cared enough to ask her and considering this, she felt like a very small person in comparison to the girl who insulted her.

"Yeah, I think so," Becky said lifting her head to look at the girl in what she hoped was a thankful expression, although it was probably tinged with embarrassment, "Thanks."

Reducio
Sorry for the late response, I've hardly had time to get on the computer all week.

-Mark Twain

"Yeah, I think so," Becky said lifting her head to look at the girl in what she hoped was a thankful expression, although it was probably tinged with embarrassment, "Thanks."
Anastasia groaned inwardly, but managed to keep her tight smile across her lips. She'd been hoping that the girl's pride would get in the way and she wouldn't actually have to be helpful. She wasn't a complete monster who wanted this girl to be injured or anything, but she also wasn't a saint who wanted to help the girl she had been bickering with moments ago. It also messed up her dramatic exit a bit, but the was a moot point. 

The girl had accepted her offer of help, which said a great deal about her. In the same situation, Anastasia would probably have insisted that she was fine and tried to do things on her own, potentially injuring things further. She groaned inwardly again before helping the girl up. "Is it just your eye?" she asked, managing to get her stupid ego to shut up. There was a muggle phrase that her mother quite liked that applied to this situation, about killing people with politeness or something like that. Not that Anastasia had actually listened to her mother during half of her lectures. Anyway, her father hated when her mother used anything muggle ever. Her mother hadn't cared much about purity and muggles when she was younger, but Anastasia's father had always but far too much stock in that. 

Reducio
No worries at all!