Library

Register
Sign in

A Squeak In Silence  PV Lorelai Brunelle 

It wasn't until the text began to blur that Earlia stopped reading. Her eyes were worn out, no thanks to the dimly lit nook she sat in, and the excessive hours of analyzing book after book. To be fairly honest, at this point Earlia didn't even know what she was reading about. Turning the book over, the gold-plated text read, Hogwarts: A History. Groaning while slowly closing the cover, Earlia glanced at the window only to see moonlight shining through.

"Have I really been here that long?" Earlia wondered aloud as she unsteadily stood up. She walked towards the shelves, hair stuck to face making it hard to see anything. Reaching the needed section, Earlia carefully placed the book back where she had first got it from.

Although tired and weary, Earlia couldn't help but explore the seemingly empty library. It might have been slightly against the rules, except this was one of the few times she made an exception. The void of silence and dim-lit shelves packed with books created a mystical feeling as Earlia trotted around the aisles. Running her fingers lightly over the spines of the books, she glanced at each and every title, sometimes making a mental note of books she would come back for.

It wasn't until she had reached the N section that Earlia heard the tiniest of noises. She became absolutely still and until another small noise was heard. Drawing nearer and nearer to the source every time a sound could be heard, Earlia came to realize it was a squeak. Earlia, being the animal lover she is, grew even closer to the series of squeaks until they stopped entirely.

Looking around at the rim of the walls, her eyes lay rest on a small hole, just a bit bigger than a mouse. Carefully and quietly getting down on her hands and knees, Earlia peered through the hole. Inside was a tiny brown mouse, nibbling on a crumb, it's whiskers twitching furiously. She gave a delighted giggle, covering her mouth so as not to scare the little creature.
Last edited by Earlia Grey on 6th July 2018, 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

✩ Don't just exist, live ✩

Lorelai bit the inside of her cheek as she strolled through the never-ending rows of bookcases. Everywhere she looked there were books, but none of them peaked her interest, that or she already finished them. Despite her only have been at the school for about a year, she was getting through the library's collection at an unreasonable rate. Or at least what Lorelai deemed worthy reads. She was getting bored of always looking for new books. Afterall, she was already on her fourth book that day.

Frustrated, the girl simply took out the first book she saw. 'Death Omens: What to Do When You Know the Worst is Coming' was what the cover read. She shrugged, death omens sounded interesting enough. She would probably need another book too to hold her over for the day. Oh well, she’d grab something on the way back.

She began to navigate her way through the shelves she knew so well. The library was full of students studying for the endless tests this school gave. Luckily, Lorelai had been okay in that department. She so far was proud of her academic accomplishments. Maybe it's because she pretty much lived there. The girl noticed another girl dressed in Hufflepuff robes as she went towards her destination. She paid her no mind until she saw that something had the Hufflepuff's attention, as she was staring into a little hole in the wall. Silently, the Gryffindor placed her book on one of the nearby desks and inched closer to the girl. What was she looking at? Lorelai squeezed next to the girl, taking a peek into the little hole. It was a mouse, nibbling on something.

“Oh, cute!”She exclaimed, much much louder than she had meant to. If a librarian had heard it most certainly would have earned a loud shush. Frightened, the small animal went deeper into its little burrow. It was barely visible now. “Ahhh! Sorry! I didn't mean to scare him away!”She apologized, it was never her intention to scare off the animal. Lorelai was afraid the girl might be mad that she scared the thing away.

♥ Le plus grand faible des hommes, c'est l'amour qu'ils ont de la vie ♥

Earlia nearly jumped as the girl who had squeezed next to her yelped in excitement. The mouse scurried farther into the darkness, leaving Earlia only seeing the tail. Sighing, she glanced at the girl, and back at the hole. Now the mouse couldn't even be seen.

The girl immediately apologized, exclaiming, "Ahhh! Sorry! I didn't mean to scare him away!"

Not wanting to make the girl feel bad, Earlia gave her a timid smile, replying, "It's quite alright, I was just about done examining the little one anyways."

She got off her hands so she was just sitting on the floor. Her hands felt the smooth polished wood beneath, as quiet surrounded the two of them. The girl in front of her looked quite a bit older, even though they seemed to be about the same height, and was wearing Gryffindor robes. Earlia immediately felt that this girl was a bit of a troublemaker, just by the way she presented herself. Although Earlia tended to stay away from troublemakers, the girl seemed nice enough, if a bit loud.

Earlia was unsure of what to do, especially since she was just a measly first year and the girl was a second year. Earlia nervously coughed, thinking of her options. Should she talk to the girl? Or should she just simply walk off? She decided it was best to go with the first option, considering the latter would be a bit rude. Basking in the silence for a few more moments, Earlia practiced asking her question in her head, just to make sure she wouldn't mess it up.

Swallowing her nervousness, Earlia looked at the older girl and asked, "If you don't mind me asking, what's your name?"

Lorelai let out a sigh of relief when the first year said that it was okay that she scared away the mouse. She had been worried for a second that the girl would have been upset with her. She already felt bad for scaring the small animal, but having someone viciously angry at her would have worsened it.After a few seconds of silence between the two, the other girl spoke, asking for Lorelai’s name. Lorelai smiled, and sat down on the ground beside her. It looked like they were going to have a conversation, something Lorelai was okay with doing. Why not? She seemed nice enough. And looking at a mouse through a hole seemed like something she would do as well, so it was likely they had at least some common ground.

“I’m Lorelai Brunelle. What about you, what's your name?”She asked, fidgeting with the pages of the book she held in her hands.

“And do you come here often to look at mice in holes in the wall? And about that, don’t tell the librarian about them. The mice will be gone before you can blink, trust me.”She warned. The girl remembered seeing some mice getting jinxed into oblivion, and it scarred her for life. She frowned a bit just at the thought of it. ‘Those poor things…’She thought, as she tried to take her mind off of it.

This girl seemed really nice, and somewhere around her age as well. She hadn’t seen her around before making her think that maybe she was a first year. Lorelai had a few friends in Hufflepuff, and had a good view of the house. So she was already predisposed to like the girl. Maybe they would even be friends. Who knows?

"Lorelai Brunelle..." Earlia thought. The name suited the girl. It sounded reckless and wild, which Lorelai seemed to be.

Answering the girl's first question, she shyly replied, "I'm Earlia Grey. I'm new to Hogwarts, just a first year.

When hearing the second question, Earlia's face flushed a crimson red. After two moments of knowing this girl, Earlia had already messed it up. She certainly didn't want to seem like a weird girl who looks into mouse holes to a first year, much less a second year. What if Lorelai tells people that she looks through mouseholes as a hobby? Or what if people started referring to her as "Mouse Girl"? Just thinking about all the embarrassment she could suffer from, she nearly missed what the girl said after.

"And about that, don't tell the librarian about them. The mice will be gone before you blink, trust me." The girl warned.

Earlia nodded slowly and started to smile slightly. Lorelai seemed kind, and all of Earlia's past fears of being the mouse girl vanished. Although, Earlia did wonder what Lorelai had seen previously to know that the librarians would get rid of the mice. "Another story for another day, I guess." Earlia thought, glancing at her. She seemed to be lost in memory, and the memory didn't seem like a good one. A second later, however, and Lorelai came back. Wanting to make things less quiet, Earlia decided to ask her a few more questions.

"Do you come here often Lorelai?" Earlia asked softly, gesturing around the library. Her eyes laid on the mouse hole again, just for a second, but after the second year warned her of the mouse being in danger, she couldn't help but feel sympathetic for the little thing. Feeling as if Lorelai would know what to do, Earlia timidly asked, "Also, is there anything we can do to save the mouse? I don't want him to get hurt."

I'm Earlia Grey. I'm new to Hogwarts, just a first year.
Lorelai found the girl’s flusterness charming, she seemed to turn red pretty easily. She hummed when the girl mentioned that it was a story for another day. She could tell her more details another day. She didn’t really care that the Hufflepuff was a first year, both of them were toward the bottom of the Hogwarts food chain, so she didn’t think much of it. What was a one year difference? In her eyes it wasn’t an issue. She perked up at Earlia’s question.

“Yeah, I come here pretty much everyday...multiple times. Ever since I found this place last year. What can I say? I need my books. And this place is the coolest. I’ve never seen such a big and extensive library.”She smiled, looking fondly at the book she had picked up in her hand. “Do you like reading too? Surely you didn’t come to the library just for the mice.”She joked.
Also, is there anything we can do to save the mouse? I don't want him to get hurt.
Lorelai was glad the girl wanted to help the mouse from a terrible fate. She didn’t think most people would want to do that, but she was happy to help with it. After thinking for a second or two, she answered. “Yeah I think we can help the little guy. Our best bet would be to bring him outside, the only thing is we have to get him out first. Any ideas?”

"Yeah, I come here pretty much every day... multiple times. Ever since I found this place last year. What can I say? I need my books. And this place is the coolest. I've never seen such a big and extensive library." Lorelai said, looking at her book. Earlia smiled at this, as she thought the exact same thing.

"Do you like reading too? Surely you didn't come to the library just for the mice." The girl jokingly asked.

Now giggling a little, Earlia replied, "I love to read, although when it comes to animals I can't help but turn my head towards them."

Feeling more comfortable around the second year, Earlia's guarded stance while sitting down relaxed, feet spread out and arms laid back. Smiling at the girl, Earlia heard Lorelai's plan to save the mouse.

"Yeah I think we can help the little guy. Our best bet would be to bring outside, the only thing is we have to get him out first. Any ideas?" She asked, looking straight at Earlia. Earlia racked her brain for how they could explain smuggling a mouse into the woods at this late at night without getting caught.

"An invisible cloak would be helpful right now..." Earlia muttered, biting her fingers. It was only till a good minute or two that Earlia had constructed a slightly flawed, but nevertheless, plan. Glancing at the mousehole, she said to Lorelai, "While first, we have to get the tiny guy out of his little house."

Grinning a bit, she said soon after, "This actually might work."

"I love to read, although when it comes to animals I can't help but turn my head towards them."
“That makes sense,”Lorelai commented, nodding her head. She felt the same way, she had a soft spot for animals, although the animals she especially liked usually weren’t as harmless as a mouse. Not that she had anything against mice or anything.

After Lorelai proposed her plan, Earlia seemed to think for a little. She made a comment about how an invisible cloak would be useful at the moment. Lorelai wholeheartedly agreed, it would be useful for a lot of things. In fact, if that was something she could have, she wanted it. Then she proclaimed that she had an idea for the mouse’s rescue, smiling widely. Lorelai’s curiosity got to her.

“So you have a plan?”She asked, Earlia’s smile catching on to her like some kind of disease. “What is it?”

Lorelai was curious about what this girl was able to come up with to lure the animal out of hiding. Lorelai thought maybe a breadcrumb or two may be enough to entice it out and wondered if Earlia’s was similar, or something she herself couldn’t think of. She was looking forward to finding out.

Now knowing she had Lorelai's complete attention, Earlia explained her plan.

"When I was younger, my family taught me different animal noises, and how to attract them to you. So as the mouse comes out of his hole, I want you to grab it, but be sure to hold it's jaw shut, or it might bite. After that, we have to move quickly and quietly throughout the halls or else someone may discover us, but I think we can make it.

Feeling confident as ever, especially since she knew Lorelai had a fondness for animals as well, Earlia tried hard to remember the lessons her mother had given her.
Memory

"Now Earlia, when you want an animal to come to you, never be overbearing or loud as it might scare the little thing." Her mother said to her, wagging her finger at Earlia.

"Follow my exact sounds, and be careful to not make any sudden movements," Earlia's mother warned, stepping back a little.

Making a series of strange noises, her mother drew out a tiny bat from their attic. Looking at Earlia, she said, "Now it's your turn." Earlia went closer to the attic door, and leaning in, attempted to draw out another bat. Instead, a small sparrow hopped out, and looking at the girl, flew away into the trees.

Coming out of the memory, Earlia knew just what to do. Leaning near the mouse hole, she proceeded to squeak a few strange noises. Drawing back slowly from it, she nearly jumped with joy as she spotted a nose beginning to peak out of the hole. Looking back at Lorelai, she whispered, "Grab it now or else it may run back."

Lorelai was surprised when Earlia said that her parents taught her noises to attract animals. It was a really interesting talent. In fact, she knew another girl who had a similar talent. Maybe she would introduce Earlia to Uschi sometime. She nodded her hand in agreeance to the other plan, reading to swoop up the little rodent. Her hands were in a ready position next to the mouse’s hiding spot. Soon enough, Earlia began squeaking, mimicking the noises a mouse would make. Lorelai shouldn’t have been surprised when the small critter poked his little head out of the hole. Earlia told Lorelai to grab it, and she don’t hesitate to follow the order. Quickly, Lorelai extended her hands and reached for the animal, clasping it in her hands. The animal struggled, trying to pry itself out of her hands. Lorelai held it as gently as she could, and tried to comfort it, shushing softly, and planting small strokes to its soft fur.

“I got him!”She exclaimed, smiling. Her smile faltered after a few seconds. Despite her attempts, the critter was still clearly stressed. He was no longer wrestling in her hands but she felt it’s quick heart bead against her skin. It was best to get him outside as soon as they could. “We should get him out. Let’s get out of here.”

She decided on just leaving the book. The mice needed to get out soon, and it wasn’t worth the librarian catching a glimpse to it while she was checking out the book. She wasn’t that excited for it anyways. “Let’s go.”She said starting to walk out of the library, assuming Earlia was trailing behind her.

Reducio

Should we create a new thread outside after your next post? Sorry for errors I wrote this on my phone