Library

Register
Sign in

Sponges  PV: Chloe Baggins   Closed 

Lilith let out a growl of frustration as she let her wand fall from her hand and onto the table in defeat.

She was sitting at her personal table in the library where she could only be seen if someone was lucky enough to be staring right at her. The library was calm today, only a few students milling about and the librarian sorting some books.

For the past forty-five minutes, Lilith has been trying to do a simple spell and failing. “Spongify,” Lilith hissed.

A handful of stones from the beach around Black Lake sat besides her. She has been trying to perfect the spell to no avail and was having a difficult time.

Lilith was usually fairly good and harms and Transfiguration. It was rare for her to spend so much time on one simple spell. So far, most of the rocks either turned into bouncy balls or little pools of slush. The librarian kept giving her angry looks at the garbage on the table.

She pointed her wand at the next rock and took in a deep breath, trying to focus her magical energy through her wand and into the rock. She needed to change the wrong so it took on the properties of a sponge, but remained in the same shape and size as the stone.

Spongify,” Lilith said forcefully, flicking her wand at the rock. The rock’s skin began to turn lighter with a hint of green before becoming yellow. Holes started to open up.

Lilith picked up the rock and squeezed it. Still felt like a hard ‘ol rock.

Damn!” Lilith pushes the rock off the desk, ignoring the strong anger beaming out of the librarian’s eyes.
Last edited by Lilith Westlocke on 26th June 2018, 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LILITH WESTLOCKE
Stamina: 6; Agility: 6; Strength: 5; Control: 3; Arcane Power: 5; Accuracy: 5

Chloe wasn't very good at making friends. She always tried to be friendly, but sometimes her friendliness was overpowering. She didn't have anyone to hang out with outside of class, so she spent a lot of time in the library. Chloe made her way to the library, carrying several of her books in her arms. She was trying to go back to the back corner, when she passed a girl with lots of bouncy balls, slush, and rocks all over her table. Chloe slowed her walking, watching the girl attempting to do a spell. 

Should I help her? Chloe's mind was racing. She couldn't decide what she should do. She didn't want to scare off yet another friend. She decided to help. She wouldn't ever know if she didn't try. Chloe turned, walking towards the girl. 

"Do you... need some help? I can help you with the spell if you want.." Chloe said, just a little too softly. She cleared her voice and tried again. "I can help you with that spell.." She smiled slightly and set her books at the edge of the table. She bent down to pick up the rocks the girl had pushed off in anger. 

Chloe Rose
Stamina: 5 Agility: 6 Strength: 5 Control: 4 Arcane Power: 4 Accuracy: 6

Lilith's azul eyes glanced up, still sizzling with embers of hate as the other girl put her rocks onto her desk. Another helpful Hufflepuff, Lilith thought. Irritation itched at her veins, not only from not being able to do the spell, but being embarrassed that someone caught her unable to do the spell.

"I can do it on my own--thanks," Lilith answered gruffly as she turned back to the rocks and tried the spell again. "Spongify," she flicked her wand. The rock began to melt into another pile of sludge.

Lilith had to resist the urge to let out a dying-cat scream and instead clutched her wand sharply. Patience may not be one of Lilith's strong points.

"Perhaps," Lilith started slowly, managing to calm herself down enough so she may unclench her jaw and speak clearly, "I could use a few tips, but this is just to help me go along faster. I'm could very well do it on my own, but I short on time."

She was trying to convince herself more than the stranger. Then again, who knows the next time she tried the spell couldn't turn out to be when she got it right. Logic spoke over Lilith. If she has been doing it right, it would have been done by know. Therefore, she'd have to have been doing something wrong.
Last edited by Lilith Westlocke on 27th June 2018, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LILITH WESTLOCKE

Chloe nodded and smiled, completely oblivious of the girl's anger and annoyance. She sat down across from the girl and pulled her own chestnut wand out. She took one of the stones and pointed her wand at it. "Spongify." Chloe said, calmly and clearly. She flicked her wand as she said it and slowly, the rock changed, its texture. She picked it up and handed it to the girl.

"This is what it is supposed to look like, right?" Chloe placed the now soft and squishy rock in the girl's hand. "You want to make sure you speak clearly. Don't sound too angry. Be nice and calm and clear with your words."

She smiled widely, hoping she was a somewhat decent tutor to the girl. She was hoping that maybe they could be friends. Maybe she wasn't too annoying. 

Chloe set her wand down on the table in front of her, grabbing another rock, just in case she needed to show the girl again. She had forgotten to explain the wand movement, but maybe the girl knew that much. Even if she didn't, Chloe didn't have anywhere to be. She didn't mind staying there as long as she needed to help the girl. 

Chloe Rose

Lilith gave the Hufflepuff a long, analyzing look without saying anything. The moment lasted for several seconds, putting an air of awkwardness around them, but Lilith ignored that.

Steadying her wand, she put another rock in front of her and tried to clear her busy thoughts (mostly those of anger) and pointed her aspen wand at the rock. "Spongify," she said, willing her voice to stay steady and strong.

Usually wonderful at Transfiguration, Lilith felt her anger edge away as the rock didn't seem to change at all. Forcing her gave to remain steady beside the hope neighing in her chest, Lilith picked up the rock and squeezed it as easily as one would a sponge. Still hard.

Maybe Lilith just needed a little breather before trying again. Or maybe the Hufflepuff was right, her thoughts were a little too fried from studying since the wee hours of the morning. Alas, none of that mattered now that she had a rock with the properties of a sponge.

"Brilliant," Lilith breathed, not realizing her thoughts had left her mouth. She put the newly textured rock down on the table and turned to face the helpful girl with narrowed eyes. She scanned her up and down for a moment before presenting her hand. "Lilith Westlocke. Pleasure."
Last edited by Lilith Westlocke on 28th June 2018, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LILITH WESTLOCKE

Chloe ignored the awkward moment and watched in anticipation as Lilith calms and tried the spell again. She grinned excitedly as the girl in front of her squeezed the rock. The rock successfully squished, showing that she had done the spell right. 

"Chloe Baggins. Pleased to meet you." She smiled as she took the girl's hand, shaking it. "You did good!" She meant it. She tucked her hair behind her ear and picked up the rock. She wanted to feel the texture too, so she squeezed it and grinned slightly as it squeezed like a sponge. She put the sponge back down. 

"So how long have you been sitting in here trying to figure out how to do the spell?"The young girl smiled, wanting to seem friendly and welcoming, which she was. She kept sitting down across from the girl, wanting to keep talking to her. Maybe the girl would like her. Hopefully. 

She leaned back against the back of the chair, pulling her hair into a low ponytail. She reached over to her books, pulling one of them in front of her before she looked back up at Lilith. She looked the girl up and down, examining her dark hair. She realized she still had her wand out, so she tucked it back into her robe before she accidentally broke it. 

Chloe Rose

Lilith narrowed her azul eyes at Chloe Baggins. "Not long," she lied.

In reality, it has been too long. She started on homework and then decided to study the spell and has been working on it for half an hour, much longer than it ever took her before to cast a spell. She figures the spell would have been easy and she might even have mastered it. Lilith discovered she wasn't as good at Transfiguration as earlier anticipated.

"Chloe Baggins, thanks for your help. You can keep that if you want." Lilith pointed to the squashy rock that Chloe was previously holding. "Consider it a gift to repay you for helping me with the spell."

Lilith began to organize her things and shove them back into her bag. Her brain was fried and she had hoped to catch dinner at the Great Hall before retiring to her dorm. The rocks laid on the table, but Lilith left them where they were. A gift for the next students who might need them.

"You're a Hufflepuff, then?" Lilith examined the crest on the girl's robes. "I hope you made your house proud by helping me. You are one of the least annoying Hufflepuffs I've come across all year. Congratulations," Lilith said in a monotone voice as she packed up, not particularly having any care for the Hufflepuff across from her.

LILITH WESTLOCKE

Chloe nodded as the girl said she wasn't working on it long. "Well you sure were angry for someone who hadn't been working long." Chloe joked with the girl. She chuckled as the Gryffindor girl stood up. She picked up the rock and smiled. "Thank you so much though. I actually really love this gift. It'll be a good stress reliever." The young Hufflepuff squeezed the rock again. 

She listened as the girl said she was the least annoying Hufflepuff she'd met. She grinned. No one ever said that. "Thank you for the compliment, Lilith. I very rarely hear that I'm not annoying.." Chloe chuckled to herself again. She looked up at the girl and smiled. "So are you going to the Great Hall for dinner then, now that you've got the spell down?" Chloe didn't want to overstay her welcome with Lilith so if she was about to leave, Chloe figured she could stay at the table and read for a bit before going to dinner. She pulled all of her books closer to her, keeping one on the table in front of her. She put the other books in her bag to get them out of the way before she looked back up at Lilith. 

Chloe Rose

Lilith ignored the joke and instead shrugged. "Probably. I did stay later than I anticipated and I am too tired to do any more homework." Lilith examined the books Chloe was setting up. "I assume that doesn't apply to you. Going to study?"

Swinging her satchel over Lilith's shoulder, she looked scanned the Hufflepuff from under her sea of dark hair. Lilith was pretty sure she was taller than her--good. Lilith hated people being taller than her. It made her feel inferior.

"That sounds awfully boring either way," Lilith added, adjusting the straps on her bag. "But if you ever need help with your homework, preferably not Transfiguration." Lilith gave Chloe a pointed look out of good faith.

Lilith stood up from the table. Her stomach growled. It has been a good choice to go to the Great Hall. Hopefully, there was still some food left at the Gryffindor table before the rest of her hungry-hungry house ate it all like the savages they were around food. Looking back at the Hufflepuff who was now sitting alone, Lilith felt a pang in her gut. The girl helped her and she was just going to leave.

No, her mind reminded her. You offered your help if she ever needed it. You've done your share. Even gave her a gift!

Yeah, Lilith's face scrunched up in a sneer. A rock isn't much of a gift.

LILITH WESTLOCKE