Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

Occupational Research  Finished 

Jane's eyes switched between the two girls, Luna, the student she had been talking to for quite a while already, and a new girl. Judging from her robes, she was from Ravenclaw House. She seemed kind enough, perhaps a little shy, but that was completely understandable.

She furrowed her eyebrows together and looked down for a moment at the girl's question, trying to think of a few wizarding occupations she could name. However, Luna spouted out a few instead. Jane really didn't know of many jobs in the wizarding world. The only ones she had done any research on involved magical creatures, so everything that Luna had just relayed was news to her as well.

As Luna talked, Jane looked down into her lap, twirling her thumbs about each other. There was really nothing she could add that would be helpful.

With the addition of another person to their table, Jane was a bit concerned about making too much noise in the library. Her friends at school had always accused her of being too much of a stickler for the rules though, so Jane kept her lips sealed on the issue, not wanting to seem like a downer.

After Luna seemed to have finished speaking, Jane decided the best way to start a possible friendship was with a simple introduction. Whether or not the girl was looking for a friend, she did still need to know names. Jane smiled kindly at the girl and extended a hand out. "My name is Jane Greenway. It's nice to meet you."

Jane Greenway

Jessica nodded along during the conversation, carefully considering the three options that the girl had given her so far. Her long black hair, braided into two Frenchbraids, were slightly messy and her cheeks were pink from the exhaustion she was trying to hide. Carrying a bunch of books was no small ordeal. She rubbed her chin thoughtfully. "That's actually quite interesting. I think that I'd fair well in Curse-Breaking or the other one - what was it?" She snapped her fingers. "Ah, yes, the Aurors. That sounds magnificent! Can you imagine being though of as a hero, tracking down the most evil of villains in the most dangerous places, hoping to come home and say that you rid the world of one less evil? I think my grandmother would really appreciate my part in that. Thanks for the ideas!" She smiled so hard that her eyes nearly closed.

"OH! Hello! My name's Jessica Garrison, Ravenclaw, as you can tell from the crisp blue robes. And you must be a Hufflepuff? My grandmother said that I probably wouldn't get into that House, I wasn't kind or loyal enough." Her eyes crinkled with ecstasy. She was finally making friends! Or hopefully that's what this was. She brushed a stray hair out of her face and sat up straighter in the seat.

I never lose. Either I win or I learn.
STA: 5 | STR: 4 | CON: 5 | ARC: 5 | ACC: 6

"You're welcome, I suppose. I wouldn't get too set, too early. Who knows what other occupations are out there?" Luna had to keep pulling her long hair back over her shoulder, as to keep it out of her face. She hated when her hair blocked her view, yet still refused to cut it any shorter. "What books do you have there? Are you studying for a particular class? I've taken a few, and love to help others with learning. There's nothing more valuable than information". 

Luna's eyes didn't brighten as much as when Jane had asked for information. She had a gut feeling this girl already knew the value of learning, and beyond that, could be well ahead of Luna herself for all she knew. Yet there was a way to take a measure of the Ravenclaw. 

"If you don't mind my asking, what kind of wand do you have? I'm really into wand lore, and would love to see yours." Anyone watching her eyes at this point would see a sparkle in them. 

In her peripherals, Luna could see Jane attempting to speak to the new girl as well. Luna hoped she wasn't being too forceful and pushing Jane out of the conversation. 

Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed.

The two girls seemed to be rather caught up in their own conversation, so Jane thought it best to remain quiet. They were from the same house, after all. They had much more in common with each other than Jane had with either one of them.

Jane smiled a bit as Luna mentioned wand lore. She wondered if she brought up that topic often when talking to others. She couldn't blame her. Jane was normally just as bad when discussing creatures of any kind. It was actually pretty cool. When someone talks about something they are passionate about, their entire face lights up, and they get so excited. Oftentimes, it's quite contagious, and everyone finds themselves asking about that person's interests, even if they don't share it themselves. People are more empathetic than they like to believe, and Jane always found it fun to observe as something like that took place. So, in this case, Jane was perfectly content to sit back and allow Luna to become acquainted with her fellow Ravenclaw.

As Luna continued to ask questions, Jane wondered if it would be rude to get a bit of studying done. Reading a few lines couldn't hurt, right? However, Jane knew that an action like that could be misconstrued as boredom or disinterest in the conversation being had, so she ultimately decided against it. Instead, she just listened intently to whatever was said.

Jane Greenway

"Yes, I know there are tons of other options, especially if the job has to do with magic. I just like the idea of those two. And if I remember correctly...I think I have Wand made out of walnut wood and unicorn hair. I don't remember what Ollivander said about that. It might just be an average Wand, for all I know." She studied hers, touching the hard wood and it's natural grooves. The idea of actually having one shocked her at first. When she had gone through the wands at the shop, testing each one to see if it were hers, she felt so excited! She never imagined having one of her own but when she saw it on the list for supplies from Hogwarts, she had practically squealed with joy.

"No, I'm basically studying for all the classes I have, so I can make sure I spend equal amounts of time on them. That way I will know I'll do my best....speaking of which, this library seems more crowded than usual. I think that I'll take my studies elsewhere, if you don't mind. I have to have a clear mind to make sure I get everything." Jessica grabbed her books. "Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to keep that in mind, Curse-Breaker especially. Hopefully if I go into that, I don't end up getting the curse myself, ha! It was nice meeting you two, especially a Hufflepuff." Jessica got up and walked out of the library.

I never lose. Either I win or I learn.
STA: 5 | STR: 4 | CON: 5 | ARC: 5 | ACC: 6

Luna sat in, shock maybe? Despondency? Was this a social aspect she didn't understand? The confusion washed over her, drowning out all other thoughts. It came in waves, as her mind reeled to understand what had just occurred. The girl was nice enough, but she had just rattled off answers and then, then just... left. No wait for a reply. No banter. Everything Luna had learned about social interaction was blown away. She literally didn't know how to react. She could feel the blood rushing to the surface of her pale porcelain skin, coloring it a rosy pink and making it warm to the touch. Totally thrown for a loop, she sat at the table, slowly gathering her thoughts, and making sense of the entire ordeal. After a few minutes, she let out a sigh. Her skin returned to its pale coldness. She stood up, a deep calm inside her. Luna glanced at Jane. "I need to go. I'm sorry. Maybe we'll meet somewhere else sometime. I have some things to look into. It was a pleasure to meet you." 

Luna nodded curtly at Jane, gathered her wandlore book, quickly stuffing it into her bag and hurrying out the library doors. She idly toyed with her wand as she walked. What a roller coaster ride this had been. 

Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed.

Jane watched in confusion as the first girl left, only to be quickly followed out by Luna. What had just happened? Had Jane said something wrong? Did she offend one of them? How could she have offended them, though? She had stayed quiet almost the entire time. Perhaps that was why they were mad. Maybe they thought she was disinterested, like she feared they would.

Sighing loudly, Jane propped her elbows up on the open textbook. Well, that had been... strange. She normally prided herself on being quite sociable, being able to draw people out of their shells by talking about something that they enjoyed. It had been going quite smoothly for a while, but then both Ravenclaws just... left.

Jane felt her eyebrows knit together, completely absorbed in thought. Would it be wrong to seek them out again, or did they no longer want to be friends? It would be incredibly disappointing to spend so much time talking to someone only to never speak to them again. Luna had been very interested in Jane's wand, so maybe she'd want to talk with her about that again. But where would they meet? They weren't in the same house, so the chances of the two of them running into each other were quite slim. Although, Jane did remember learning that the two of them had a class together. She would just have to hope that Luna may want to talk there.

The desire to study had left her completely, so Jane snapped her textbook closed, propped it up on her hip, and headed back to the place she liked to call, "Hufflepuff Headquarters."

Jane Greenway
  Back