Library

Register
Sign in
  Back

Occupational Research  Finished 

The book plopped down with a resounding thud. Dust stirred up from the rarely used table, the particles rapidly spinning like an angry swarm of wasps. Luna coughed, louder than she expected or wanted in the eerily quiet Library. She looked around sheepishly, checking if anyone was disturbed by her unexpected slip. When no admonishment came her way, she turned her attention to her new prize. With time before her classes, Luna decided some independent study would be a good idea. A book on wands! What woods worked as wand wood, what cores exist, and other properties. Ever since she became aware of the Wizarding World, Luna had become nearly obsessed with wands in general. Her graduation goal? Wandmaker, with Curse-breaker(she was greatly concerned about making the grades for either of these jobs though) a close second. She had talked Mr. Ollivander's ear off. And now she was at Hogwarts, and could continue to learn. The only thing better would be if she could find someone who shared her passion. She brushed the thoughts from her head, gripping her wand she turned her attention to the pages before her, those same pages slightly yellowed from age. She could feel the excitement building in her.
Last edited by Luna Aurelius on 28th June 2018, 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed.

It was eerily quiet in the library, which is probably why Jane had yet to visit it. Anything that could be dangerous, terrifying, or, like this place, mysterious, was generally something Jane tried to actively avoid. But the Hufflepuff Common Room was quite busy today, and she needed a quiet place to focus on studying. Gripping her textbook closer to her chest, Jane looked around for a place to delve into her book. A few yards away sat a girl who seemed to be completely engrossed in the book lying before her. She truly did not want to bother her, seeing as she was probably in no way interested in conversation, but Jane was not brave enough to join a table that had more than one person. And it appeared that every other table was occupied by a group of students. Jane slowly approached the table and quietly seated herself across from the girl. When she looked up from her book, Jane offered her a smile of greeting.

Jane Greenway

She had just started into her studies when Luna noticed a flash of yellow out of her peripherals. An overwhelming sense of a human(or other, she didn't really know anymore) presence brought her out of her reading trance. A hostile irritation welled up in her, as the presence wasn't leaving. One would think that someone on their own didn't want disturbed. She let out a deep sigh, slowly raising her eyes to meet the face of a smiling Hufflepuff. Her eyes were a mix of blue and grey shining in anticipation behind a pair of glasses. It figured. When Luna wasn't looking for social interaction it found her, but for her first few days here she had struggled to find a friend. She grabbed the irritation and buried it deep inside her, deciding to hurting someone would be of little use at the moment. Besides, anger had uses elsewhere, and Luna certainly wasn't looking for trouble.

Excuse me, is there something I can help you with?, Luna said, exerting a palpable effort to keep the derision from her voice. This girl had done nothing wrong, per se. Nevertheless, Luna still struggled with social interaction altogether. Mostly she hated that she hadn't been given time to prepare for this particular session. She admonished her internally to start preparing for more unexpected encounters after she concluded this one.

As Jane sat down, she got her first real look at the student's features. They were unlike anything she had ever seen before. Bright white hair fell down her back and out of Jane's sight, while shimmering golden eyes glowered at her. This was much more intimidating than she had hoped it would be, and she could not resist averting her eyes to the swirls in the wooden table.

The girl, a Ravenclaw, she observed, seemed annoyed at Jane's presence. The last thing she wanted to do was disturb someone, being a people-pleaser to a fault. Honestly, Jane didn't quite understand people who weren't friendly towards others. Why would anyone want to be mean? It just didn't seem to make sense to her. But Jane had enough experience to know that there were people out there who were rude for the sake of being rude and people who got annoyed when others tried to talk to them. It appeared that this girl was the latter.

Straightening her black-rim, reading glasses, Jane answered meekly, "No, I'm sorry, I just, I needed a place to study, and everywhere else was full."

The Ravenclaw looked unimpressed, so she tacked on, laying her book, "Hogwarts, A History" open on the table, "I won't disturb you."

Hoping this would appease the girl, Jane quickly looked down into her book and began reading the first line on the first page.

Jane Greenway

"No, I'm sorry, I just, I needed a place to study, and everywhere else was full.", the girl had managed to say, "I won't disturb you."
The girl pulled out a large book, it was the History book, and intently began reading it.
Luna cringed back, feeling a wave of guilt wash over her. The annoyance was still there, but at the same time, her conscience told her she had no reason to be so harsh. She let out a small sigh, weighing her options. Perhaps she could salvage this situation. She had to be tactful though. She was fearful if she approached this wrong, she may break the poor girl. Besides, working on sociability was a edge Luna needed to smooth out anyway.

"Um, I'm sorry if I came off rough. It's nothing you actually did, it's just me really." , said Luna, although her face remained unchanged, she felt she had to attempt something. "I see you are studying history. Is that your next class? I actually have to head there after I'm done here. I just started classes recently. Or if you like, we could talk about something else. I like wands, do you? Oh and we have to be quiet of course.", whispered Luna as she gripped her wand in her pocket, awaiting an answer.

Jane wasn't really expecting the girl to want to make conversation, but she was pleasantly surprised when she began quickly whispering to her about a few different things. Perhaps Jane had judged her too quickly, and she really did want to talk. This reading wasn't required, so if she had the chance to make a new friend here, she would definitely take it.

Answering the girl's questions, she started with, "Um, yes. History is next for me, and I wanted to get a head start on the reading."

Continuing, she admitted, "Wands confuse me a little. You see, even though my dad's a wizard, my family never really uses magic, so I don't know anything about wands."

Jane reached into her robe and pulled out her wand, laying it on the open book. "It's made of alder wood," she offered, not knowing much else. She knew she must have sounded like a complete idiot to this girl, and she shyly looked down at the wand. Magic was confusing, but there were some students here who already knew a lot about it, leaving her and several others in the dust.

"Actually," she thought, realizing there was an opportunity to learn here. "Could I ask you a few questions about my wand? I want to know as much as I can, and you seem to be pretty smart about this stuff."

Jane Greenway

Seeing an opportunity to teach, Luna pounced like a starving lion on a fresh slab of loin. This was something she could get into, especially if this classmate wasn't feigning interest. But first, formalities had to be addressed, no? Luna cleared her throat and began.

"First I should introduce myself. My name is Luna, and I'm from Ravenclaw. And to let you know up front, I knew almost nothing about magic at all before I came to Hogwarts. Everything I know has been taught to me by my godwitch, or I've gleaned it from the books of this Library. Now, as to your wand. You said Alder wood?" 

Luna swiftly pulled the book up beside her face, setting it up where the Hufflepuff girl could read it, pointing to the page labelled "Alder". 

"It says here that Alder is a hard word, very stiff and inflexible. However it is attracted to the exact opposite kind of person. It is also a great wood for casting non-verbally, which in of itself is a talent. Incantations help provide focus, and only advanced Witches and Wizards can cast without them. If you happen to know your core I can tell you more."

Luna pulled her wand from her pocket, holding it up with a gleam in her eyes. It was a beautiful white wood, with an ornate base of lattice near the hilt of the wand, and little darker garnishments farther up. It was Luna's most valuable treasure, a gift from her Godwitch, for her acceptance into Hogwarts. 

"This is my wand. It's made of Aspen, and it is commonly attracted to duelists. The core is Dragon Heartstring, a core which gains knowledge and power quickly, however it can backfire explosively as well. While loyal, it's the easiest core to twist away from it's owner, but I have no intention of anyone getting this wand."

Luna stuffed her wand back down into her pockets. Looking back up, she waiting for any incoming questions.
Last edited by Luna Aurelius on 18th June 2018, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taken a tad aback by how eager this girl seemed to be to teach, Jane still did her absolute best to listen intently to every word she said. Wands definitely seemed to be her passion, and Jane couldn't help but wonder if this girl would take over for Ollivander one day, should he ever decide to retire. Once the girl, Luna, finished her mini-lesson, she decided to start with introducing herself and then move onto her questions.

"Well," she started, moving her eyes from the book Luna was pointing in to the girl herself. "My name is Jane Greenway, and I'm in Hufflepuff."

Once her introduction was cleared, she tried to decide what question to go with first. What was the best place to start?

"So," she said, reaching for her wand. Jane's wand looked vastly different from Luna's. The wood was much darker, and it spiraled up about three quarters of the thing's length until evening out. Lifting it in her hands, she said, "The core is thestral tail hair. I know what a thestral is, I'm really interested in creatures, but I don't understand how the kind of core your wand has makes any difference."

Jane paused for a moment, trying to think of a better way to phrase her question.

"How does a thestral tail hair do anything different than a unicorn hair? And why?"

Jane Greenway

"How does a thestral tail hair do anything different than a unicorn hair? And why?"

That was what the girl, Jane had asked. Luna's eyes widened significantly, as the words hit her like a tidal wave destroying a small island. The realization that she was just openly staring made Luna rush to take back control of herself. This girl had no idea what her actual potential was, based simply on her wand. Luna had to be cautious, as to not put pressure on Jane, so she measured how to approach the situation. 

"Um, well, first I suppose I should explain what a thestral is, as I doubt I need to tell you what a unicorn is like. A thestral is a creature, XXXX rating, which can only be seen by those who have seen death. I can sadly see them, although I have actually yet to see one personally. Now as to your wand. It couldn't have come from Ollivander. He doesn't use that core. Who knows who made it? Anyway, it's properties, right? That's very hard, because generally I don't know. Unicorn hair is very faithful, and consistent, but the slowest learner. Thestral hair is said to be unstable yet profoundly powerful. I need to do more research to fully answer your question. Maybe I can find a professor who can help."

By the end of her explanation, Luna was more talking to herself than to Jane. With a new direction in mind, Luna felt a new excitement bubbling up within her.

"Oh," Jane nodded as Luna continued on. As the girl went on with her explanation, her voice had become quieter, and she wondered if the Ravenclaw was still addressing her at all. She seemed to be extremely interested in the core of Jane's wand, though she had no idea why. Jane had done minimal research on thestrals, being interested in magical creatures, but there wasn't much information on them except that only those who had seen death could see them. Jane had sat next to her cat when it was put down, but she didn't think that counted.

Picking up her wand, Jane began casually swirling it between her fingers, still wondering why the girl sitting across from her was interested in it all. That was when she remembered something specific the girl said.

"Wait," Jane started, a tad confused. "You said Ollivander doesn't carry wands with this core, but I got my wand from his shop. Does that mean that someone else made it and gave it to him?"

She was genuinely curious, this whole thing finally catching her interest. Wands were something Jane had viewed as little more than just something a wizard was required to have, but seeing how Luna reacted to them made Jane believe that probably wasn't true. There must be something important to them for someone to be that interested in what they're made of and how they work.

Jane Greenway

Luna had become so lost in her own thoughts that she was almost startled by the sudden question posed to her. Quickly regaining her bearing, and task, she turned her focus back to Jane.

"Um, well, your question is a bit confusing, but I think I understand. He obviously carried the wand, otherwise he couldn't have given it to you. But, as far as I know anyway, Mr. Ollivander only uses three types of cores. Dragon Heartstring, Phoenix Feather, and Unicorn Hair. Which means that the answer is yes, someone else crafted your wand. It had to be an amazing wandmaker too, as Thestral Hair is supposed to be difficult to work with altogether. But the benefits are incredible. For example, your wand should be able to mend broken wands. That's impossible for any other core."

Luna decided she would need to befriend this new student. Such a rare wand, which meant a rare soul! The things this witch could accomplish! Besides that, Luna would get a firsthand look at how such a wand and it's owner would develop. That could be valuable experience for a future career as a wandmaker. She glance back toward Jane. 

"Is that everything, or is there something else you would like to know?"

Luna seemed so eager to talk to Jane now, which was completely different than when she had first sat at the table. This didn't really surprise Jane though. She had found out that when you let someone talk about their passion that you can see them at their best. Jane didn't share Luna's enthusiasm about wands and wasn't as interested in her thestral tail hair wand core, but she did want to learn as much as she could. She didn't want to fall behind or be put at a disadvantage just because she was a beginner when it came to magic.

"Not that I can think of right now," she answered casually, pulling her wand back into her robe. She smiled up at the girl, hoping she had a friend in the Ravenclaw. It would be nice to have a friend from another house. "I really appreciate you teaching me all that though. I'm pretty clueless about magic."

Luna had claimed to also be pretty new with magic, but she was already so much more knowledgeable than Jane was on all this stuff. This was obviously because her interests lied in magic and wands, but Jane just didn't share those interests as much. She wanted to work with creatures, maybe even non-magical ones like her mother.

"You'll be a great wand-maker," she said honestly, looking at the large book she had pulled out. "I may not even use magic again once I leave Hogwarts." She shrugged. "I guess we'll have to wait and see."

Jane Greenway

"If I decide to be a wandmaker. It's just one possibility. If life has taught me anything in the last six years, it's that what we expect or want, and reality, don't tend to align. Anyway, I'm glad I can help. Knowledge, or rather information is power. The power to defend ourselves, power to prove ourselves, power to have a life that isn't miserable. It's important to use what time we have to live as much as possible. Sorry if that's a bit too deep. As for using magic, it's the same. It's nothing more than a tool, all that matters is the person using it. One doesn't have to use tools, but they certainly make our life easier. You may not pursue a job that requires consistent use of magic, but I'm willing to bet you'll use it, at least a little."

Luna had seen enough of the world to know it's joys and sorrows. Her face deflated a little at the thought of sad and angry memories. But she couldn't let the past shackle her down, so she quickly pushed it from her mind. Luna had a third new friend. Two of them from another house. She decided that three was a good number. She resolved to keep her three new friends for her entire school career and perhaps longer. Now all that was left was to see if fate, destiny, whatever one wants to call it, would allow such a thing.

Jessica trudged from between two bookshelves, a mountain of books weighing down her poor arms. She was strong for such a young, little girl and she walked toward a seemingly empty table like it was nothing. Dropping the books carefully down, Jessica wiped her brow and winced, cracking her knuckles, like her back wasn't the real victim in this situation. She hastily pulled out a quill and ink and sat down, making sure she had everything she needed to get started studying. Once she was sure, she dipped her head down and focused all of her attention on her studying.

Hm, Potions is such an interesting subject. Everytime I think of it, I always imagine an old witch hovering over a worn cauldron, mixing up something for her lovesick niece. But now I understand that it's much more complex than that. She read through page to page thoroughly, getting back into the studying mode that her mother had drilled into her. Even though she was only eleven her parents were strict about excellent grades, and it helped that Jessica had a a high interest in learning. After all, what else was there to do in life other than learn about your surroundings?

Another reason why Jessica was focused so hard was being recently she had the notion to try to strive past her friend Regina in homework. She didn't want it to become a problem that disturbed their friendship, she just wanted to do her best, but also prove that she was just as good as Pure-Blood. After all, she was a Muggle-Born.

While Jessica was studying she began to realize that a conversation nearby was becoming a bit distracting to her. She looked and saw that two girls were chatting, maybe about future jobs that they liked, and this made her very curious. She'd never thought about that at all, what sort of occupation she'd planned to have after attending the school for her seven years. Since these girls seemed to know what they were talking about, and she'd had studied for quite a while, Jessica got up and approached the girls.

"Hello, um, I couldn't help but overhear your conversation. I was wondering if you could tell me about the occupations there are in the wizard world? I'm interested in anything at the moment, even in the Ministry on Magic."

I never lose. Either I win or I learn.
STA: 5 | STR: 4 | CON: 5 | ARC: 5 | ACC: 6

Luna looked over at a sudden voice. Her eyebrow twitched involuntarily. Another person attempting to socialize. This was going to be a very exhausting day. Luna had just wanted to study. She let out a sigh. This one was a fellow Ravenclaw, judging by the robes.  Well, there was no need to be rude. She was already entertaining one person, why not another? Besides more potential friends. Luna analyzed the newcomer. She had dark hair and eyes, and was tall. Much taller than Luna was anyway. 

"Hi there. I can't fully answer your question. Sorry. I only know of a few vocations. Aurors are like, a special police force. They hunt down the worst of the worst in the wizarding world. It's a difficult job to just to meet the qualifications. There is also a Curse-Breaker. These are wizards employed to counter curses, on people or objects. It's another very dangerous job, with a lot of risk to one's self.  The third job I know is a Wand Maker. I don't think that needs much explaining. However I'm sure there are loads more. Maybe there is a book around here that can help. I don't know much about the Ministry either."

Luna was starting to notice that she spoke a lot more than she intended. She began to blush a little, embarrassed by the tiny rant.

Back