Library

Register
Sign in

Exploring the Library  Closed 

Elizabeth walked into the library looking around with curious wide eyes like a toddler in elementary school. Being a first year in a school she only knew about for 2 years made her curious about what she could exactly do.
As Elizabeth walked around the library she thought about who she could make friends with. She looked around seeing people of mixed houses talking and studying together so she thought it was okay if she talked with other people from different houses.
She dismissed the thought and grabbed a random book off the shelf, it was old and heavy but looked interesting enough. She opened it and began to read "Astronomy huh? As much as I like space and stars I think I'll pass." she put the book back and pulled out another book "Herbology? Hm..." she kept reading about an interesting plant but then cringed "I'll pass" she put the book back and started to go through the books as if there was no tomorrow "Transfiguration...?" Elizabeth had never understood transfiguration, it made her slightly uncomfortable to see things take the morph of something it's not and felt even sicker when she saw it go wrong. Without giving the book a second thought she put it back and sighed looking at the wall for a moment 'Am I seriously gonna spend my year here? Just looking at books and doing work?' she sighed and went to one of the tables with a book about Spells and Charms seeing nothing better to do.

Karley entered the library. She half wanted to study and half wanted to go have fun, but she for some reason wanted to do really well at this school. Magical subjects were bond to be way more interesting then regular school subjects. She didn't know what Transfiguration or Dark Arts were but she felt curious enough to study. At regular school she had gotten very good grades and it shouldn't be that hard.

She went to an empty table and placed her books on them. She got some parchment and ink out and scratched away her name on the top. Luckily her parents had made sure to teach her cursive, saying that it was like a loss language in this modern age. Her cursive was near perfect. When she did things right the first time that motivated her do more and better, so she quickly opened her book called Magical Theory by Aldabert Waffling and started taking notes.

After a while of reading and studying, she took a break to rub her eyes and take a breather. She looked around, noticing other students studying and conversing. She wondered when she'd make any friends here. She was fine being by herself but it would be nice to have someone to talk to  especially when times were rough or when she was really lonely.

Karley noticed a girl a few tables away who wasn't surrounded by people or books. She looked friendly enough and she looked like the studying wasn't as interesting as she'd though either. Maybe they had something in common. Was the girl a Muggle-Born too? Or perhaps she was alone because she was new to Hogwarts, like all First-years, and not new to magic, like Karley and her only, it seemed.

Karley picked up the three books she had brought with her, Magic Theory, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and a Book of Spells, and headed over to the girl. She sat in the seat in front of her and gave her a little smile. "Hello, I'm Karley, from Ravenclaw. What about you?" She offered her a handshake. 

People go but how they left always stays.

Elizabeth looked up and shook it “I’m Elizabeth” she smiled and awkwardly shifted in her seat. “I’m in Slytherin.” She sat up straighter and fixed her hair remebering what her father had told her about first impressions. “So are you a first year too?” She mentally face palmed ‘Or wait should I have asked about her house? She already mentioned that, maybe if she is muggle born or half blood? What if I come off racist? Is it racism? Bloodism?’ Despite her thoughts racing she looked calm and relaxed reading. She flipped to a page about Area Spells but didn't really notice.

She always was intrested in fighting but never had found it in her want to do it, but now... The will was stronger than ever. She saw so many spells that she had to reread. “So are you a first year too?” A sudden burst of confidence was in her voice. ‘Just be confident in everything you do!’ She kept her posture straight “I’m new here too so there’s no need to be worried”

Elizabeth turned the page in the book and saw something about an Area Spell “A spell that sends shockwaves to stun all opponents? That should come in handy” She kept reading on.

Verla walked into the library, she was shaking and hid behind a book shelf, when she found a book that she liked, she took it and walked to an empty table by a window, she stared out the window for a bit, and when she felt eyes on her, she blinked and looked at the other two girls in the room. She squealed, grabbing her things and ducking behind another book shelf "If you're going to make fun of me, then do it quickly." Verla said. The girls didn't seem like a threat, but Slytherins weren't the nicest of people.

Don't judge a book by its cover Verla Jane Harness her mother had once told her after avoiding some kids who looked mean.
The next day, she went and talked to them, and they were mean. You never listen to me mama, I told you so! She'd yelled at her mother with tears rolling down her face as her mother bandaged up her bruised stomach from when they kicked her while she was down.
Enough Verla Jane, those kids will not be going to your school any more, not after this, and I will be calling the police to talk to their parents, this is unacceptable.

"What cannot be seen, felt, or carried?" Person who gets this right I will donate some money to them.

Karley glanced at her own hand for a moment, registering the fact that the Elizabeth seemed to decline her clear handshake but she just shrugged it off. The girl did seem a bit nervous and Karley couldn't blame her. This school, this castle, was huge, and maybe a few of the students were as well. She'd heard rumors about Slytherin's, about how cruel and deceptive they were but Karley wasn't the type who just accepted what everyone else said as the truth, especially when it came to something as spectacular and mysterious as magic, which Karley understood next to nothing about.

She nodded her head. "Yes, I am a First-Year, if that's what they call it here. That name does make me feel a little naive, like I'm a baby, on my first year of life...not that there aren't some true babies around here, but you didn't here that from me. At my old school it was much more worse than here so I'm glad I'm attending this mystical place. "

Karley noticed that Elizabeth was reading about Area Spells and raised her eyebrows in curiosity. "And what are you planning to do with those spells? Are you planning on fighting anyone? That can come in handy, I've seen more than a few violent bullies here but I hope you don't plan to do anything fatal to anyone."

Karley was about to flip through her own book when she had the odd feeling that someone was watching her. She looked up in a random direction and noticed that someone, most likely a girl considering the long hair, seemed to be watching them. She raised her eyebrows and grinned slightly. "You can come over if you like, nothing to be afraid...I promise that we, well, at least I won't hurt you." 

Elizabeth processed the statement "It's only to protect someone!" she frowned "I'm not bad, I wasn't even planning on being Slytherin." She frowned almost embarrassed that people thought negative of her. Elizabeth closed the book and looked at the girl "We both won't hurt you." she sighed and smiled. "Sorry if it wasn't supposed to be offensive... I just take it personally how people view me but I promise I mean no harm to anyone."

She tried to gain her focus back on the book but her eyes were now also focused on the girl "I'm gonna go to her" she finally lost her patience and strode over to her "Hello, I'm Elizabeth. Elizabeth Elliott, first-year Slytherin." She smiled and held out her hand. 'Okay this is going well, people think I'm bad and I made it worse by looking at a spell that can harm people! Smart Elizabeth, just keep your cool and make another good impression, you are a good person.' she smiled at her thought and stayed calm "Do you wanna come sit with me and my other friend Karley? We're nice people and would really like to get to know you." Elizabeth hoped she sounded welcoming and not weird.

Verla looked at Elizabeth with wide eyes, she nodded her head for sure and began to walk with them. She was so nervous, she was afraid she'd made finger indents in the book she held. "I'm V-V-Verla, Huf-f-fflepuff. Hufflepuff. I-I'm sorry f-for my stuttering and s-stammering, anxiety." Verla smiled at Elizabeth and the other girl. "I-I h-hate p-p-people sometimes, they're m-mean t-to me. I'm sorry for coming o-f-ff weird on you t-two, I hope I di-didn't seem rude." Verla hoped that their word was true and they wouldn't hurt her.

Her bowtruckle Oliver heard her socializing with others, so he poked his little head out of her shoulder sleeve by her neck, his leaf tickled her neck and she squirmed, picking him up and putting him on the table "t-that's Oliver, or Ollie f-for short. My stuttering w-will g-get better once I, g-get to kno-know you better." Verla smiled at them kindly as she sat down, taking her robe off and exposing her outfit underneath which was a little red dress she'd gotten for her birthday last year. She crossed her legs and took out her sketch book and began to draw Ollie again, for the 50th time this month.

"What cannot be seen, felt, or carried?" Person who gets this right I will donate some money to them.

Karley raised her hands in defense. "I didn't think you were bad just because you're in Slytherin, just wondering why you were looking in that particular section when we're only First-Years who barely know about any subject and I'm pretty sure the adults here know how to protect us enough." She put her hands back in her lap and smiled. "But I'm impressed that you're taking it upon yourself to learn ways to protective yourself, that's very smart."

She frowned at Elizabeth for a moment. "And, anyway, what's wrong with Slytherin? Heck, I actually wanted to be in there, but don't tell my House I said that. I don't think it's right to just look at the bad qualities in something, but to view that thing in its whole, because if you only look at the bad things, you only get bad things, aye?" She watched her new friend go greet the other girl, and actually give her a handshake, but Karley didn't really care at this point. She wondered why this girl was so incredibly anxious. 

She watched her, noticing her pet. Since Karley was new to the wizard world, and especially to the beasts, she was very amazed when she saw peculiar things. Karley was very interested beasts and one of her favorite school books was about Fantastic Beasts, and she spent her time studying for most of her free time. She thought that Verla's pet was called a bowtruckle, if she remembered correctly. It had a plant-like structure and seemed quite friendly.

Karley was about to mention the pet when she realized that maybe she could calm down the girl's nerves by being friendly. One idea she had for her own fascination of magical beasts was to record every one of them she saw during her time in the wizard world. So not counting the owl that had flown into her home or something creatures she saw outside near the Forbidden Forest, she decided to record this one down first. Karley took out her journal and ink, asking, "Do you mind if I draw your...well, actually no. Do you mind drawing something for me? I want to record all the magical creatures I see during my time in Hogwarts and you seem to be a better artist than me...and you've drawn him more than a few times as far as I can see." Karley slid the thick but empty journal over to Verla. Hopefully she'd calm down since she was doing something familiar.

Elizabeth sighed "From the research I've done..." she leaned in "Voldemort was in Slytherin" she whispered. She had trained herself to say Voldemort over the summer to act brave "And other people tell me that only dark, evil wizards come out but that's just a false accusation due to our history." she leaned back into her chair. "But yeah, when you spend your days focusing yourself on the best class ever you're declared suspicious to other people." She smiled "My dad honestly predicted that I was gonna be Ravenclaw but something deep down... Told me Slytherin was gonna be where I land."

She smiled and stretched "Anyways, what is that?" she pointed to Verla's bowtruckle "Is it a..." her mind went blank "Crud, I forgot the name" She sighed and observed it for a while "It's cute, you gotta credit that my father want's to get me a rat so I'd say you're one of the lucky ones" She smiled. Elizabeth wasn't new to the wizarding world, she was used to common day spells but animals were another story, she had never had a magical pet but she did want one and was crossing her fingers for a cat instead of a rat. "I can't draw but can I photograph it? It is something I'd like to show father" she kept staring at it from afar.

Verla's face lit up widely and nodded and took the book "o-of course! I would love to!" Verla quickly got out her sketching pencils and drew Oliver and labeled him as Bowtruckle, and drew every little detail of him. Then she turned it around and showed her, to see if she liked it. She was happy to draw in the journal for her. She was glad that she made new friends already. Which was the first time in a while since she'd gotten the letter. She smiled sweetly at the girls, showing that she wasn't as nervous as she was before she'd been invited to socialize with them.

Verla crossed her legs and drew another creature, the puffy ones from her headmasters room. She'd wanted to go into his class and do whatever she could to convince him to let her in her class since she loved animals so much, they were her world. She loved animals, and now she had new magical ones too. She was glad that God created them.

"He's a bowtruckle, I think a crud is one with the bills of a platypus." She giggled, she honestly couldn't remember. She answered her question in a kind voice though.

Karley raised her eyebrows at Elizabeth. She opened her mouth, about to ask who was Voldemort but she felt like that was a very important name somehow, and didn't want to feel stupid. All she remembered was that he was maybe so dark wizard, or something. This is what it came with to be Muggle-Born, having no knowledge of the world you were in, but that didn't discourage her to do her best in this school. She would strive to get the best grades and do the best for her House. 

She gave Elizabeth a reassuring smile. "It's always good to think about the bright side of things, because when you think about darkness, that's all you get."

She watched Verla draw her pet again and even label it. She was very impressed at her work. She quickly took her journal and went to writing about the creature she saw, simply by observing it and reading a little in her books. While she did that she talked a little. "Maybe you'd be interested in drawing for me frequently? It'd be really helpful. Your artwork is very accurate and delicate, thank you." Karley wrote in her journal for a moment. "I'm thinking about getting a pet as well, maybe a ferret or a cat, same difference." She giggled a little at her little joke. "It's kind of sad that we're all in different Houses, now we can't sit together in the Great Hall. At least we can wave. And maybe sit near each other in class? I don't really know how that works."

"Thank you." Verla smiled as she was complimented on her art work. "Since I love being around animals, I can carry this around and when I've gotten most or all of them I can give it back to you. If you'd like." Verla began to get a bit shy again. What if she said no thanks? What she she said go away? No, they wouldn't do that to her. Would they? Verla didn't know. She took deep breathes though and tried not to show it. 

Verla opened her book and began to read and hum at the same time. She didn't know her feelings at the moment, since they intended no harm. Her bowtruckle snuggled in her hood and fell asleep, he was so cute. They all knew it.

Verla stood up and got all the books she could and looked through them, memorizing their names and what they looked like. Then she drew them all down and all their names and made a small box by their name. She put a check in the box by Bowtruckle. Then she gave it back "Here, just check all the ones you've seen, like a check list." She handed it back to her.

Elizabeth smiled and checked two of the boxes "My cousin Alec brought two home once to show off to me." she laughed "it was even funnier when my dad said that it was just two twigs and that he was gonna throw them away if I didn't stop talking with them. When they woke up in his hand his scream, was hilarious!" Elizabeth laughed and moved the checklist to Karley "So when did you two learn about the wizarding world?" she went back to reading her book while listening.

Her eyes gleamed with interest "Also, what is your stance with dragons as pets?" she looked up mischief in her eyes again "I'm just curious" she looked up from the book again seemingly not focused on it "I can't focus on this book anymore" she put it down and closed it "Cause I truly want a pet but I don't want something common." She was referring back to the dragon question "I want something that can protect you but also is playful, I've seen really cool pictures of so many creatures here and a lot of them are truly amazing." she went to the shelf and looked for a book about dragons "Like this one! A Common Welsh Green, but they like to stay away from humans." she sighed "But it would feel so nice to fly on the back of one and feel what it's like to fly"