Library

Register
Sign in

Exploring the Sacred Halls of Knowledge  Closed 

The sounds of clicking heels echoed through the corridors as a student walked through them at a brisk pace. She cared little how strange she must look to others, walking just slow enough for it not to be called running (which would mean breaking the school's rule of no running in the corridors).

Alma Malvado was on a mission, and that mission was to find the library. She'd been at Hogwarts for only a few days now, just barely enough time to get to know her fellow dorm mates and learn her way through school without immediately getting lost. It was high time that she abandoned said dorm mates now in favour of finding the library and disappearing into the, according to her brother, endless corridors of it. Shelves upon shelves, groaning under the weight of books, Alma had never before seen. The prospect was nearly enough to break into a sprint after all. Yet she restrained herself.

Finally, after ten long minutes, Alma passed through the large doors and into an even larger room. She would have gasped at the sight, had her throat not decided to close up in a fit of emotion. She swallowed painfully. This...this was great. Better than great, in fact. This was heaven.

Alma wondered if there was a way to politely ask the head librarian for permission to permanently move into the library, but she'd come back to that thought later. For now, she needed to see what treasures this library held.

Passing sections about the proper care of magical animals, Astronomy, Astrology and finally mountains of books concerning the topic of advanced Transfiguration, Alma found the section dedicated to Charms, Spells and the fickle art of Spellcrafting. Her fingers ghosted over the tomes, not quite daring to touch. Finally, with a boost of confidence, Alma chose one of so many books and pulled it from the shelf. She admired the pretty binding for the proper amount of time (her family would never let her hear the end of it, should she not show the books the respect they deserved) before finding a large, yet unoccupied table for her to read it on.

With a content sigh, Alma sat down and opened the book. Yet her eyes lingered on the vast room surrounding her, instead of on the pages. Despite her earlier reservations about her dorm mates and whether they'd be able to get along for seven long years without maining each other...Alma now felt like this could work. Now she felt like she finally had found the right place. Here, in the library, she had found a home so far away from home.

‘Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. Ghosts are transparent.’ - Severus Snape, Half-Blood Prince

Stairs. Who in the long history of this school had one day woke up and had said to themselves "Hogwarts needs more stairs. Moving ones!"? Her hand was massaging the pain in her side while she found her way back down the stairs, back to her dungeon. She'd tried to find the Ravenclaw tower, which was supposed to be somewhere at the end of those damn stairs, but she had lost her way, ending up infront of an ugly tapestry depicting dancing trolls, so she'd given up her head hanging in defeat. The picture of some trolls wearing silly costumes would follow her every step.

At first she'd thought living down in the dungeons, beneath the water line was tiring, but now she realised that her body wasn't meant to go up and down the hundreds of stairs everyday multiple times. No wonder her brother could outrun her with ease.

While she rested at the feet of one of the countless armours, she saw a familiar figure with a piece of parchment in their hands vanishing in quite a hurry somewhere in one of the hallways. Which one she couldn't say, right now she wasn't even sure on which floor she was. A map, she thought with a sigh while standig up on her feet again. Someone should make a map of this too big for its own good school. 

She hadn't met many students besides other first years and could hardly recognize any of them, except her dorm mates. A few days were enough to get to know each others figure, however, so she was fairly sure  it was Alma - what was her last name again - who she'd been found strolling through the school. It was late afternoon and back in the dorms there would be nothing than water, maybe silent dormmates, and a full common room. 

She had to admit, that she was curious what Alma was up to, and she'd grown to like her and her humor, so instead of walking further down the stairs, she followed the black haired girl to where she went.

The hallway was almost empty with only a few older students crossing her path, but she was sure that Alma had passed by. There were no other doors than a big, heavy wooden one at the end of it. In awe Marcia stood in front of it, her hand resting on the marked wood, when the door swung open, just by the slightest touch. 

She was greeted with a marvelous sign of shelves, hundreds of shelves and thousands of books, some of them were flying above her head. 

"Wow." Her words couldn't do the room justice but it was all that she could bring herself to say. Eyes wide open she stepped inside and didn't even notice an old man sitting behind an even older desk. The man with his face almost not visible behind his thick white beard was eying her, but didn't say anything while Marcia satisfied her curiousity by reading the old badges hanging on every shelve. There was Astronomy, Care and Rearing of Plants, Magic of Numbers and many more sections. It didn't seem to have an end.

Marcia could see herself spending hours here in what must be the Library, but her whole lifetime wouldn't be enough to read every book. She could narrow it down to just reading the blurb, which she would never do, and even then there wouldn't be enough time on her hands to get through the sheer amount of knowledge. Her heart was already beating fast, when she found Alma sitting on one of the tables at the end of one section, her nose deep in one of the books. 

Remembering how Marcia had ended up at the end of Almas wand when she had surprised her once, she decided it wouldn't be the best idea to jump at her out cold. Instead she made her way slowely to her room mate and coughed slightly to get her attention. "Sorry? I saw you running through the hallways and couldn't help myself but follow you. This place is amazing!" Marcia rose her hand and pointed to nowhere in particular. "Mind if I join you? What are you reading?"
With an honest smile she pulled one of the chairs away, as silent as possible, and took a seat.

Stamina: 4 | Evasion: 6 | Strength: 9 | Wisdom: 5 | Arcane: 2 | Accuracy: 9
Stamina: 3 | Agility: 6 | Strength: 15 | Control: 11
Marcia Kingsleigh

Alma was in the process of the most interesting dissertation concerning the theoretical influence of moon phases on certain aspects in Spellcrafting, when a not-so-subtle cough drew her attention away from the book and towards a certain blonde whom she recognised. Why was Marcia standing there? Now she was sitting down, but Alma didn't see a book in the girl's hands. Had she not found the right one yet? Did she need help finding one? Alma wasn't too familiar with the layout of the library, but certainly after so many years spent in her family's book shop, she would be able to give the girl a few pointers on where to start looking. Then Alma realised what Marcia had said.

She'd asked what Alma was reading! So maybe she, too, was interested in the art of Spellcrafting?

"I'm reading 'Adaptive Spellcrafting: Integration of External Stimuli - An Introduction' by Terrence Tworb. It's quite interesting, although terribly complicated. My grasp on Arithmancy is still quite rudimentary, you see, so many theories and experimental formulae that are presented here don't make much sense yet. But enough about that, I do not wish to bore you. Unless you are interested in Spellcrafting as well? Or does your focus lie elsewhere? If you are in need of a good book to read, then I'd suggest asking the head librarian for pointers. Or maybe search through the Index, I'm certain a library as extensive as this one should have one. What's your poison? Arithmancy? Runes? Potentially deadly creatures?"

Alma kept her voice down, not wishing to call upon the wrath that was an angered librarian. They preferred their environments quiet. Sadly, privacy wards were well beyond Alma's capabilities yet and so she had to content herself with stage-whispering everything.

‘Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. Ghosts are transparent.’ - Severus Snape, Half-Blood Prince

The usual stiff and reserved Alma beamed and explained Marcia with a childish spark in her eyes some of the content of the book she was reading right now. In Marcias ears not even half of it made sense and she was impressed about how easy Alma pronounced words Marcia had never heard of. And yet, although all she could say for sure that it was a book about the art of spelcasting, she couldn't help herself but to be delighted by Almas joy.

"I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. My parents taught me how to cook, feed the fishes and to some extend how to read a humans mind; not literally though." She drew herself closer to the table and reached for the old books, whose bindind alone could tell how valuable this piece of knowledge was. Carefully she peeked inside reading the first page that opened up to her. She felt overwhelmed by the complexity of all those formulae und shoke her head. "I think I need to start at the beginning. This is advanced stuff."

"I would love to read about some herbs or ingredients. In fact I passed a section not long ago with books about taking care of plants, but I should finish my novel first before I dive into ... all of this. However I'm afraid my novel can't keep up with your material and would bore you with its simplicity."

With a wink of her eye she carefully passed Alma the book about spellcasting, while she paid attention to not slide it over the table in fear she could damage it. 
Last edited by Marcia Kingsleigh on 21st May 2018, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marcia Kingsleigh

Alma's eyebrows rose as she heard Marcia's explanation.

"They taught you Legilimency? That's highly advanced material!" Alma whispered, still trying to contain the volume of her voice in her excitement. She really needed to get a move on and learn to cast some privacy wards as soon as possible. "Also something apparently none of my family is very gifted in... We're sort of taking the phrase to 'read someone like an open book' literal. Still, if you require any help in any of the subjects, I'm certain I can help you. Well, not certain to be of any help, but certain that I'll be able to procure a book for you that can help you instead. For now, I have a couple of books back in my trunk in the dorm that should be able to help you, if you wish. They are aimed at a slightly younger audience, but explain the basics of certain crafts quite well. It should give you an idea what subjects outside from the ones they teach in this school interest you. It makes focusing on a career later on much easier. Not that I'll be having much of a career in Spellcrafting, I'm afraid. I'll be taking over the family shop as soon as I've finished my education at Hogwarts."

Alma paused for a moment, trying to catch her thoughts, as well as jot an idea down onto a piece of parchment that she'd get back to, later. After the thought was carefully written down and there was no way it could escape her any time soon, she turned back to Marcia, who was carefully handing one of the older books around them. From the way the red leather flaked in places, she'd assumed the tome to be at least a century old, if not more.

"Well, anyways," Alma continued on, shaking herself out of her small, book-induced trance. "Tell me about yourself. We didn't really get to know each other back in the dorm, after all. What defines Marcia Kingsleigh? What are her favourite subjects, what's her greatest ambition? You mentioned something about cooking, yes? Does that interest extend to the art of potioneering as well? Not that I say that brewing a potion is much like cooking, I'd rather not get on our professor's bad side before even meeting the man."

Of course she was misunderstood. Well, it had been easy enough to misinterpret what she'd said. 

"No, no," she sighed her hands up shaking, "as I said: not literally. My father is a psycho therapist. He's a muggle." She was not afraid to admit the heritage where she came from. It was part of her and to hide it for seven years was ridiculous. Nevertheless she couldn't help but wait nervously for a reaction. Alma was a pure-blood witch, her way of speech and her demanor was reason enough to believe  that she enjoyed a a more traditional education. At the same time she realised, that Alma probably had no idea what a therapist was or did. 

"Eh, he helps other people, counsling them by exploring their deepest thoughts, fears or feelings. There is no magic involved, however. No need to hold your hopes high. To learn the art of Legilimency is a deep wish of mine." With that she already had answered some of the pressing questions Alma had asked, when she mentally went over them again one by one, eager to get to know each other better.

"I enjoy Herbology a lot, but other than that I don't have a favourite subject
 yet, since right now I am amazed by everything. Although, to be fair, I'm amazed quite easily. Your stance, for example, is impressive. I noticed the way you're holding your wand when you were pointing it at me." She sheepishly grinned remembering how she'd made a not so good first impression, while lowering her voice more. No need for everyone to know that Alma was fast in drawing her wand. After some seconds she spoke up again, a little louder but still not loud enough to bring the librarian into the scene. 

"Potions could become one of my favourites, too. Up till now all I did was cook and bake with my mum and I loved every second of it. I don't know what our professor would say in that matter, but I too see some simliarities in making a delicous meal and a perfect draught. One of them rarely is poisonous, though. At least not when you're careful with the ingredients." It felt good to talk with Alma freely. Whether it was because of the serene atmosphere or the lack of deep dark water, she didn't care.

"I'm talking but what about you? You have an interest in spellcrafting and books in general, I remember correctly? I'm not good with names, but your parents had their own book store? That sounds terrific! What was it called again?"

Marcia Kingsleigh

"Malvado's Marvelous Manuscipts, yes," Alma answered readily. "My father owns it, along with his two older brothers. They try and teach me what they know about the crafts involving books. Binding, printing, preserving, you name it. We dealnwith all sorts of books, even ones I'm expressly forbidden to even touch...Although yes, my interest lies far more with the art of creating new spells. I find it fascinating how people can weave magic into new shapes, to make it do what they want. I admit, the result isn't always favourable, but no light without shadow, something my grandmother used to say. Nothing bad without something good to balance it out."

Alma nodded to herself, before standing up and returned the book she'd been reading to its rightful place, confident that she'd find it again tomorrow. Then she returned to Marcia to continue.

"So your father is a mind healer of sorts? I wasn't aware Muggles had them, but I shouldn't have assumed. After all, maladies don't seem to discriminate. Have you ever thought about becoming a mind healer yourself then? I know there are a few fascinating tomes about healing spell-mishaps and cursed minds over in the section over there." Alma pointed towards a far corner of a shelf that held books with the distinct white spines of medical reference texts. "Herbology would be a large part of studying healing as well, so that's a bonus. The qualifications of becoming a healer, let alone a mind one are apparently insanely high, though. Definitely out of my league, at least."

Alma sighed, propped up her elbow onto the desk and rested her chin onto her now supported fist, squishing her cheek against it in the process. She sighed deeply.

"I must say, I envy the sound of it. You cooking with your mother, I mean. My mother and I...anyone in my family really, is an utter menace in the kitchen. I can follow a potions recipe just fine and it usually turns out as intended, yet the moment I so much as touch a skillet, there's bound to be at least one major fire in the end. The house elves have all but banned us from the kitchens, you know? Still, potions class is something I look forward to as well, plenty of ways to make use of the skills you learn there. Even if it's just a simple Pepper Up...I suppose Charms is the class I'm looking forward to the most, in the end. I might be decent in potions, utterly rubbish at transfigurations and bound to be just as terrible once we'll suffer through our Flying Lessons...but I can assure you that I'm a competent dueller. I can thank my great grandmother for that..."

Alma covered her mouth with her hands as a yawn threatened to split her face in half.

"Goodness me, it's bound to be late by now. Do you think it's already time for tea? I'm feeling quite hungry all of a sudden..."

Impressed by the thought of Alma helping willingly in her fathers book store she nodded to her. "Preserving books, you mean he seels renovates antiques as well as new publications? I would love to see that one day!" With a sigh she fell silent and imagined how an older male version of Alma was standing in a smaler but simliar room as they were right now. That's when Alma stood up and left the table and Marcia feared she might have said somehing that Alma offended. Reliefed she realized her maybe soon to be new friend was returning one of the books, but would soon come back.

Sitting alone at the vast table she used the time and took a small piece of Almas parchment on which she hastliy wrote the name of the bookstore. She hoped Alma wouldn't mind her using some of her paper but she needed to write the stores name out in order to remember it. Shedidn't want to ask again.

"A mind healer, that's a nice way to say it. I think he would like it to be called that," she said after Alma had returned and had picked up their conversation. "I never thought about following in his footsteps by becoming a therapist, though. As you said qualifications of becoming a healer are insanely high, wizarding and muggle world alike. I never were the bright one of our family, that honour belongs to my brother. He's a Ravenclaw, you know." She felt that she didn't have to elaborate more on that, a wink and the mentioning of her brothers house were enough to describe how skilled he was, so she thought. "No, I doubt that I would ever have the qualities to get anywhere near my father or brother. I -," she stopped herself, embarrassed to tell Alma of her secret goal in life. With her gaze lowered she started to pick her nails but continued. "I want to have my very own apothecary one day, and a garden with herbs and flowers and maybe more where I would grow as much as I can. I know that almost everything was already discovered but you never know, maybe I can cultivate a special plant or make a new medicine to help to cure both magical and non-magical maladies. We were told to think big, weren't we?"

Only a few days ago the hat had encuraged them to aim high and to never hold back their own qualities, but embrace them. With that in mind her dream to be a herb witch one day only grew after her first lessons in Herbology. However they were young and who knew what life would offer them.

There were no clocks around but Marcia too felt a need for some food or tea. "I think it's too early for dinner, but tea sounds nice. Maybe we could drop by the Great Hall? We wouldn't have to whisper there all the time either. You can tell me more about our family.  It's actually me who envys you! We never had house elves but I always wished we had some, although I wouldn't want to miss cooking with my mum."

As she spoke she rose and invited Alma to follow her to wherever the Hall was. In secret she'd hoped that Alma would know the way: Marcia still felt completely lost ... and maybe she would have found it by the time they had to return to their dorms for curfew.

Marcia Kingsleigh

It took a couple of days for Alma to find the time to visit the library again. The start of classes had kept her busy, wanting to stay ahead of homework and the reading-material. In between all of that, along with her attempts to find friends within Hogwarts, there simply hadn’t been enough hours in the day; or at least not enough time till curfew. So now, Alma was nearly vibrating in excitement at the prospect of being able to spend the hours between dinner and tea in the library, surrounded by books.

Alma sighed happily as she passed the threshold to the library, welcoming the familiar smell of mold, dust and yellowed pages.

She spent a moment walking along the rows of book in case something special caught her eye, yet it were the same few books that she’d already previously looked through that she ended up pulling out of the shelf. They all seemed to be here. Maybe the topic simple wasn’t too interesting for the other students? Well, their loss, her gain.

Alma’s tiny arms strained under the weight of all the books, yet she was well used to lugging around small mountains of books in her family’s book shop and simply ignored the protest of her muscles.
She found a space to sit between a couple of older Ravenclaws that threw her and the books she carried curious looks. She could see the doubt in their eyes, fully expecting her not to understand the material. And to be honest, she didn’t. At least didn’t understand most of it. Yet Alma was determined to eventually master the art of spellcrafting and, for that, she needed to keep busy with the subject until she understood it.

She set down her notes from the last time she’d been here, along with quill and inkwell and set off to work.

When she couldn't find Alma in their dorm, Marcia had gone to look for her in the Great Hall, only to find it almost empty. A strange sight to see the giant hall bare of people. It was a beautiful day of spring and everyone was enjoying the start of the weekend by strolling over the ground, practicing Quidditch or - in other words - by doing everything except study. Marcia herself spent the last hours outside, near the Great Lake of all places. In truth there had been a decent distance between her and the water's edge, but nevertheless she had been in earshot of the wild splashing. After being caged inside Hogwarts's thick walls for a week, she had felt the need for fresh air. Who knew she would find some freshly grown Alehoof?

Marcia was excited about her find and wanted to tell her new friend about it, but so far she had no luck finding her. "The library it is," she said with a heavy sigh when she remembered the many stairs she had to climb now. She had hoped to meet Alma in the Great Hall but since the Hall was almost empty, there weren't many places left where Alma could hide. 

It took her a while to get to the heavy doors, behind which she was greeted by the familiar sight of the library. Master Quarren was sitting behind his table, his long beared tucked over his shoulder to get it out of the way. She passed him with a slight nod and headed to the center of the room, where a small group of students occupied one of the tables. With a relieved smile she noticed Alma to be one of them. 

Hands folded behind her back she slowly approached Amla from behind, who was once again lost in one of the books. Over her shoulder she read some seemingly never ending sentences, which gave her a headache. "There you are," she made her presence known, "I looked everywhere for you!"

Under Almas surprised gaze she made herself comfortable. "Not everywhere, but after you were neither in the dorm nor the Great Hall, I figured you must be here. Phew, please excuse me, I'm a bit out of breath after climbing up the stairs." It felt good to take a seat and rest her legs, but at the same time she quickly glanced back to Master Quarren and was pleased to see him still distracted with his desk work. With one hand she reached for her pocket and fetched a singe flower. Under the table, hidden from curious eyes, she presented the plant. "Look what I found! There is a whole patch growing near the lake.

Marcia Kingsleigh

The sound of shuffling footsteps alerted Alma of someone coming towards her table. She glanced up from her book, fully expecting yet another Ravenclaw joining them, when she saw Marcia. She was smiling to herself, seemingly very pleased about something. Someone should probably tell her that she had a dirt smudge on her cheek, though.

When Marcia had settled down in one of the unoccupied chairs and gotten the wind back into her (apparently she wasn't too fond of stairs), Marcia presented her with some Alehoof she'd apparently found by the lake. Alma didn't think too much of that discovery. Alehoof was a fairly common variety of mint that liked forest-y soil and water. Also seeing that it was mint and therefore something that nothing, short of a well-placed bombarda, could ever keep from growing, it wouldn't be too uncommon to find on school grounds. Still, Alma remembered that Marcia was rather fond of herbology and therefore wrecked her brain for a suitable way of approval.

"It looks quite good, actually. Well-spotted! I cannot imagine that it was easy to find the mint in the high grass of the lake. I'm certain you could -." Alma stopped herself, going over what she'd just said, what Marcia had just said. "You found it by the lake? As in, you went near the lake?"

She knew how much the books meant to Alma, to see how she immediately looked up in order to examine the in fact boring plant was heartwarming. Marcias smile widened when Alma praised her find and she wanted to truly believe her.

"You found it by the lake? As in, you went near the lake?", her roommate said with honest surprise in her eyes, which caused Marcia to laugh at her expression. Not too loud and not long enough to offend Alma. She put her hands up and formed a T with her body, the single Alehoof carefully tucked in her closed palm.

"You could have put a Quidditch field between me and the water's edge. Please excuse my wording, the Lake was near in my mind. I saw some movement from the Giant Squid, though. I must say it is far less intimidating when it's under the water, not swimming past our window." She was serious but she was afraid Alma would laugh at her. Her friend wasn't nearly as worried about the monster - or anything in particular - as Marcia was.

She lowered her hands again and stuck them between her legs and the stair on which she sat. Rather uncomfortable since she still tried to avoid crushing the Alehoof.

"I don't want to disturb you in what you're doing so please feel free to say 'No', but I've hoped you could help me with something?"

To sit on her closed hand was too painful, she finally decided, so she shifted her legs once again. With her fingers barely touching the plant she was draping it on the table just above the pile of books and was pleased about how it still looked fresh, although she had picked it quite a while ago.

Her gaze fixed at the plant she asked Alma for a favor. "You see, Ive hoped you could help me find some spell to prevent the plant from withering? As I said, I don't want to cut into you reading your books, but since it's a spell I'm looking for I imagined that you would lend me some help?"

Marcia Kingsleigh

Alma pondered about that for a while. She herself knew several charms that could keep a plant from withering, yet the magic was far too advanced for her to actually cast them. Her father would have been in his element, so would have been her mother with her preservation charm work she usually put on especially fragile books. Alma however, has little experience with charms that didn’t involve effectively disarming an opponent...

I suppose,” she finally said. “That you could ask a teacher for a stasis charm to be cast on the plant. Preservation charms of ingredients such as this one are more trickery but I’m confident that both our Professors in Potions and Herbology would be able to cast that one. It’s more permanent, you see, and preserves the magical properties. Some herbs and plants lose potency when dried because the etheric oils are lost in the process. Other than that, you could buy a magical herbarium. They are fairly expensive but they automatically preserve the plants you put into them.”

Alma stood up and disappeared behind a corner, looking for a book about stasis charms. Luckily the library was sensibly sorted and it only took her a few minutes to find an appropriate book. She carried it back to Marcia.

You can also start learning them yourself. With your fondness for plants, I am certain you could make use of such a skill. The professors would also approve and maybe even make them more inclined to help if they see that you’re already on it to learn the spells yourself. It would mean that they wouldn’t end up stuck with a student who’d ask for their assistance multiple times a day, you see?”

As expected the spell she was looking for was advanced, too advanced for a first year like her. She'd only just leaned how to illuminate her wand, nevertheless she had hoped there existed a spell even a beginner like her could master in given time.

Her gaze lingered on the books Alma had brought her and on the spells they depicted. She never thought it could proof to be that complicated to stop a plant from withering. Marcia sighed and slumped onto the chair, counting how many coins she had at her disposal right now. It was not nearly enough to buy a herbarium and she didn't want to ask her parents for money after a week at Hogwarts. It was probably best to ask her brother to help her cast a spell, at least for now, until she had learned on of her own. She could ask the professors for assistance as Alma had proposed but she would rather not bother them all the time.

"You think I can learn the Stasis spell on my own?" she reached for her wand, which still felt foreign to her and casted a Lumos. "All I can do is this. Maybe I should ask someone to teach me. The books are helpful but I don't get half of what they say."

Marcia Kingsleigh

Alma shrugged, not really worried at the prospect of trying her hand at more advanced magic. The worst that could happen with a stasis spell was fail, right? Maybe she could find a book better fit for a younger audience that explained the whole procedure in a simpler manner? Maybe Alma could help? But then again she had little knowledge about stasis charms, so she’d be better off finding Marcia a tutor for it.

How about,” Alma began, moving the book closer so she could peer inside, “we work together. Maybe make something similar to a study group out of it? We could work on projects or do homework together and, if need be, study together for the exams, once they arrive at the end of term.

Alma dug around her bag in search for her schedule, looking for free blocks to use for the group. First years unfortunately didn’t seem to have many free periods in between classes so they’d have to meet up, should Marcia agree to it, after classes were over. Alma wouldn’t mind spending more time in the library as she already spent most of her time there, anyways. However Marcia might prefer to have some time left to go outside and generally spend it with someone else other than Alma.